Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I don't play Sims 4 as much as Sims 3, but I do play it. It is much more fun than when it first came out and they have done some amazing things with the game. I do agree that they did take some steps backwards. Get Famous has held my attention much more recently, but I've been playing another game a lot lately.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • CABALCABAL Posts: 56 Member
    It may become a failure if they abandon the game in incomplete state and while the game is in pretty good state it still needs a lot more content. I'd say that it seemed that the game was still in beta until they added toddlers or perhaps not beta but in early access state.
  • HausieHausie Posts: 25 Member
    Some years ago, I would have thought that TS4 was a failure. Now ? I don't really know. It's one of my most played game but there is a lack of gameplay for sure. There are some weeks when I can play almost everyday and all day and some where playing 50 minutes only is enough.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    the sims4 is not a failure its a great game and fun to play sure content might be missing but over the years you learn to adjust
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I stopped playing it a long time ago, I'd go back to playing Sims 2 before I would return to 4. So it's a failure for me.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 4 is Awesome because the graphics is what drew me back. I like the way the Sims look. Adding custom content like clothes, hair, lipstick, eyelashes, shoes and nail polish has really added to my love of the game. I sometimes use "FRS Kylie J Skin (Overlay Ver).package" on some of my sims. I love the skins by EA so I only use this one sometimes. I see other Sims I'm not playing do things that make me think wow didn't know they do that. Falling asleep at dinner, on the toilet, on the couch, in the tub....you just have to watch and you see some really neat things going on in the game. But, it would be nice to see babies throw up on the Sims--that was so realistic. Looking forward to 2019 to see what they add to the game because it keeps getting better and better.

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue

Don't forget to click on include custom content on the side under ADVANCED. Check out some of my creations. Variety is the spice of life after all.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • PixelDude64PixelDude64 Posts: 6 New Member
    The Sims 4 has a fair share of some ups and downs. What I love about The Sims 4 is that it is so easy to sculpt a sim's face but on other hands, I do miss features in Sims 3 where there's Create A Style, color wheel and that opacity makeup slider which feels sort of limited at times where you want that exactly color but you don't it it full that color, just add a little bit.

The world is small which I wasn't that happy, I get it that EA tried to make TS4 suitable for older specs but it 2018 and least you get gamers playing lower specs of The Sims is playing The Sims 1 or The Sims 2 for nostalgia. They do look beautiful, nice but I wish those fake buildings are actually real. It seems like EA is struggling to make the right formula for The Sims, the ingredient is either too big or too small which I am concerned about if The Sims 5 overhyping or still miss out some key feature from the previous entry in the game series. When they said they won't make terrain tool because making it also suitable low specs (or used to before they finally listen to us.), I question if they are actually making The Sims 4 better performance or just not caring about the game.

In gamer perspective in ways yes, it sort of it and it feels it had to be fixed with loads of DLC and downloading loads of mod. In EA perspective not really, as long as people purchase the base game, DLC etc, they believe it is going very well and people love it. At the end of the day, it all about business.

No disrespect to EA or The Sims Team but The Sims 4 could of be a better game and if you are making The Sims 5, please listen to our request!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For me, Sims 2 is still the best in the series, but Sims 4 is better for me than Sims 3. Being stuck in the same world, or having to start a family over when there was new content, got to be frustrating after a while. Imagine you were living in Sunset Valley and Showtime came out; you either had to spend hours trying to edit in all the new venues or you had to start a brand new save in order to enjoy the new content. And even if you moved your Sims to a new world, they'd arrive having lost all their family relationships; if I want my family's eldest child to move from Willow Creek to San Myshuno when he ages up, I know he'll still be able to visit Mom and Dad or invite them over for dinner. And I don't have to edit my worlds to have a museum or a lounge or a bar in every town, giving me plenty of room to customize my worlds.

But isn’t that the same in sims 4 now? I mean if you buy say cats and dogs or get famous you have to edit new venues either by placing them or editing them, the new “celeb” venue is empty for example so in my opinion it needs editing to make it interesting.

My experience with sims 4 and a brand new game goes as follows:

Add Restaurants to each world if possible because you know realism
    Add a Spa or 2
    Add the bowling alley venue
    Place more libraries because otherwise the game has one library to serve multiple worlds in Willow Creek and I find that immersion breaking that my sim in San Myshuno has to go to Willow Creek to go to the library.
    And If im being really picky I need to delete the many, many 1 bed houses that are no good to multiple sims starting out.

If I don’t do those things, I can’t play with features I have paid for.

The only world I do that amount of preparation for play in the sims 3 is Roaring Heights as it has so many big empty lots I want to fill. But the basics are there. The other worlds need minor tweaking. Not as much but a minor tweak nothing like the above.

In the sims 1 and 2 I have to do very, minor editing on occasion before I play but not often. It never bothers me that my sims can’t move between worlds without mods in earlier games. They have never had a reason to be fair. Their worlds are complete. It would be far more stifling and unrealistic for a sim born in Oasis Springs to never leave the world through out their lives. Frankly I think it would be impossible.

Well it's super easy to travel in Sims 4.

But no, I don't think that Sims 4 is a failure at all. I like it better than Sims 3. I miss a lot of features from Sims 2 though, and I've found most packs pretty lacking.. but I still got a lot of play out of it.

My point is you want to use all your dlc you “have to spend hours trying to edit in all the new venues” or worse start a new game to enjoy everything - for example If you have ran out of room in the sims 4.

Travelling may be easier in the sims 4 but arguably its necessary as one map is not big enough for multiple families and various venues we get through dlc.

My point is you don't have to put every venue in the same world like in Sims 3. If I want to add a spa or a restaurant I'm not limited to a single world. I can have a restaurant in Newcrest and a lounge/bowling alley in San Myshuno and a spa in Oasis Springs, and my Sims can travel between the various venues easily. Last night I did some rearranging of venues in preparation for future play; my artist Sim will be opening an art gallery once he hits the top of the painter career, so I moved my planned gallery to San Myshuno (replacing Planet Honey Pop), and I placed a spa in Willow Creek. And it didn't take me hours -- thanks to the Gallery I was done in about 15 minutes. Would have been even shorter but I spent a little time checking over the venues. Yes I spent a lot of time initially setting up worlds the way I like them, but it's not that hard to just switch out venues when desired. Theoretically you only need one of each type of venue in the game, but I like variety.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Lol, hard to say. Failure might be harsh, but it def is disappointing. I think it's mostly because the previous games were so great and 3 was a proper sequel to 2. 4 took so many steps backwards it's wasting time trying to catch back up. 2 and 3 had fairly complete base games while 4's base still isn't complete (imo). There's still so many gameplay features missing. Sure, it looks nice. But it plays kinda boring compared to the previous games.

4 is doing some things right. But what it's doing wrong kinda overshadows it.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Money wise, no, play wise, yes. There is something broken in every pack...think about that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2018
    A failure ? 10 millions of copies sold it's more than TS2 and TS3.

Maybe it's a disappointment for a few of old fans but the reception is globally positive because the ideas are interesting even if the game is not perfect.

The Sims Studio tries to hear the community and does the best to fix the issues. It wasn't the case with the previous games.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    I stopped playing it a long time ago, I'd go back to playing Sims 2 before I would return to 4. So it's a failure for me.

The Sims 2 will remain a very good experience no matter what will be released in the future.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    The Sims Studio tries to hear the community and does their best to fix the issues. It wasn't the case with the previous games.
    I agree that it is not a failure, however I can hardly see how they are trying their best to fix issues. Many things get broken with each patch or DLC, some get fixed and some get forgotten forever. Simulation lag which is something modders have been able to remedy to a decent extent yet they cannot even improve it after so many years. The list is huge and honestly all I see with TS4 is the same as before (i.e. you cannot tend to gardens or harvest in GTW science lab making it a complete hassle to fulfill some objectives ever since Seasons, and LEs being randomly thrown as of last patch), failure to work on performance and bug fixing just like previous games.
  • tg9999tg9999 Posts: 29 Member
    Game is great, although some things are making it harder to play, for example it was very challenging to make a fancy stairwell because stairs kept disappearing, or floor reappearing randomly when deleting parts of fences. Also would be nice to have bigger terrains than 40x50 (64x64 in sims 3 was great) and maybe ability to build 9 floors with roof instead of 4 underground and 5 on surface?
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I love the graphics. I'm so glad they went with a more cartoony and stylized look than continuing on with making sims look more and more realistic, as sims in sims3 looked like playdough without mods and they were rightly terrifying. I love the 'clay' look - all the sims in sims3 had terrible hair - CC hair was even worse - all straight or wildly wavy and invisible on weird sides and just. Bad.

Sims 4 hair, and modded hair, all looks very straight forward in terms of style. Texturing on the base model is what gives hair its waves and kinks and curls, and it's easy to make look nice. All the natural hair that's been added in new packs shows this style is also way more friendly to hair that isn't perfectly straight.

I love the look of the clothing too. Most of it has a weight to it - like the fabric exists, it's not just painted on the sim's body like in previous games. I love the default skins too, even if I use mods to change some parts. I love that's there's so much to change! So many layers can go on a sim to build up a totally unique character - I've made hundreds of sims over the years and they are all their own person, and it's not difficult to do that. In sims 2 or 3, I was lucky to get maybe 20 unique sims before they started to overlap in an ugly way.

I love the look of the worlds, too. The set dressing, the amount of sims always walking around in an area, sims interacting who I'm not controlling, the worlds feel alive. In sims 3 they always felt so dead. I'd go to a 'Popular and Rocking" hot spot in sims 3 and arrive to find 1 Bouncer and 1 Entertainer, with the bartender rushing up to their spot. And that's it. Sure is lively in here.

Now I can go anywhere and there's dozens of sims on a lot, laughing, drinking, dancing, passing by, etc.

There are parts of the game I've not even explored yet - I've never been to the alien world - and I've got just shy of 3,000 hours in game. But I plan to explore that one day, with a sim who wants to do that.

I think what the game lacks, however - is depth. My favorite thing to do in sims 3 was go on vacation, pick up a bunch of pomegranates, buy the nectar making machine, come back home, plant the pomegranates, tend to the plant so it was the best it could be, and keep up with my life fruit plants, make pomegranate and life fruit wine, and stockpile it in the basement. I'd do this for hours with my sim, and when they died they would have this massive collection of aged wines that were perfect quality and worth so much for their heirs to inherit.

But that level of depth is not present in this game. There's too much focus on young adults doing Everything They Can before they are old, because then they are pointless sims and their story is over. I don't feel bad or upset when my elders die. I used to, but something about aging in sims 4 makes elder sims dying feel like "oh well" instead of "oh no". I tend to play with aging off nowadays, which kinda... sucks.

The challenge of leaving a legacy feels... wasted, or non existent maybe. Once my children turn into teens, their parents and grandparents (if the grandparents are even still alive) are forgotten in the background, or moved off lot to die quietly and alone so they don't take up space in the house since I want a pet. It feels weird.

I also didn't feel any connection with my sim's children until toddlers where reintroduced, and that helped a lot. But I think something needs to be done for the elders. They feel sad and lonely and forgotten by the game and by the creators.
    edited December 2018
    @Archieonic

As an IT technician, I can tell it's not always easy to reproduce a bug, find the source and do a fix without breaking everything.
    In particular when the work was done by someone else who don't think the same way as the one who fix the bug.

I think all the companies work like that. You can look at Windows monthly patches, Microsoft spend their times to fix their mistakes. Even Apple releases new iOS versions full of bugs.

Quality requires time but the consumers want everything now.
    In fact, a good game requires at least 10 years of development.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Quite well said, @thecatsred. I would give anything to get the sims 2 gameplay, or even 3, combined with the graphical engine and animation of the sims 4!
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    @Stormkeep

Thank you! I do really love the graphics, the engine, and the overall 'feel' of the sims 4 more than I felt for the previous games. But even then, the depth in the sims 1 was so much.. MORE than what we currently have.

Like I was really excited to find out we could actively participate in our sims Acting career, for example, but it's so.. basic. I remember in sims 1, you'd go up to a set, and you'd have so many options for what scene you'd like to do, how you'd like to perform it, etc depending on your star level and your mood. But now it's like, "here's some busy work before you shoot, then when you get on stage it's just 'risky or normal' and risky is just 'did you do your tasks before the shoot', which isn't as engaging as I had hoped. I still love the new pack, mind you, but there's a lack of freedom present. It's all A-B-C, and you can't do anything too wild or different.

I want that feeling of depth back. I think it's totally achievable, but the devs are strapped for time, cash, and can only put out what the Big Bosses say will sell, which really keeps the game doing the least it can do, even if the devs and the team artists want to do more. And you can tell there's so much they want to do, which makes it a little sad to think about.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @thecatsred Yah...I don't blame the dev team. It's the higher level folks who want things with less depth. Depth makes things 'complicated' so has less mass-market appeal (in their minds, at least). Real problem across all game genres right now, imo. Games have been watered down to the point where old gamers like me spend a lot of time playing old games instead of bothering with the news ones.

I really like TS4, at least. Most modern games, even in genres I traditionally have loved...I don't even bother buying.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    @Stormkeep

Yes this is true. There's a lack of that same depth in a LOT of modern games, but it alienates players who want that, and it alienates players who could work up to that depth if given the opportunity. But as it is now there's nowhere to 'go' really in a lot of games. It's point, click, do task, done. Games are less clever than they had been in years past. This might be my older brain talking, but things have been certainly dumbed down, or made more basic to sell better in the last 5 years.

I think the thing that keeps me coming back to sims 4 is the creative potential it allows me, and also the heart the game has. Which is strange to say, but it's made with love, and that rings true with a lot of little features, or animations, or clothing options, or parts of the world building. The people on the team do greatly enjoy their work, and despite the fandom as a whole feeling kinda like they are going "we want more!", there is still a LOT to this game if you hold it on its own, and don't try and put it up against previous titles. Different people made those games.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Archieonic

As an IT technician, I can tell it's not always easy to reproduce a bug, find the source and do a fix without breaking everything.
    In particular when the work was done by someone else who don't think the same way as the one who fix the bug.

I think all the companies work like that. You can look at Windows monthly patches, Microsoft spend their times to fix their mistakes. Even Apple releases new iOS versions full of bugs.

Quality requires time but the consumers want everything now.
    In fact, a good game requires at least 10 years of development.

I've also dabbed in game making in C# mostly as a hobby, and it becomes apparent when they just can't solve things. But let me ask you this, back in TS3 for example, a lone modder Twallan made a whole suite which included tons of bug fixing and save game preservation techniques. I explored that suite extensively. So what is it, lack of wanting to fix or inability to do so? Does it take much to allow plants to work again at the science lab? Is it high in their priority list? Another example, how does QA allow a new item (Lin-Z) to be added in a patch where it breaks saved games upon travelling completely? Small bugs here and there, sure, but that?

Consumers don't necessarily want everything now, we just don't like seeing a game with Early Access quality being shipped as full with hundreds of $ worth of DLCs. And that trend is damaging the gaming industry with many subpar products and excessive DLCs without caring for the product. We pay, therefore we can expect or demand quality for a product.

A good game requires X amount of time depending on budget, team size and experience, it does not require at least 10 years as a global standard.
    Post edited by Archieonic on
    edited December 2018
    @Archieonic

Keep in mind they are humans, they make mistake like everybody.
    I imagine it's normal to do the Lin-Z mistake when the holiday is soon, maybe their mind is somewhere else (Xmas, buy the gift, need a break, ...). Personally I'm always tired in December and do several mistakes.

As long as they fixed it quickly, it's not important.

About the small bugs, spending time to fix them = less time to fix the big bugs. When you can't do everything you do some choices.
    Here the highest priority is to fix the issues which break the game.

I agree it's very annoying but all the studios work like that.

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2018
    At launch, Sims 4 was definitely a FAIL for me.

But now I got more of what I wanted, and I accept the more casual game vibe of it (and I do play casual games as well as regular video games), and now it’s becoming one of my favorite Sims iteration.

It still can’t beat Sims 2 or Sims 3 im content or reactive Sims, but I’m seeing it as a fun “spinoff” game that I can play casually. Like Urbz or Castaway. (Both of which I enjoyed.)

Not a failure, but somewhat buggy and it’s not quite number one in my book (yet?).

Sims 2 still has the number one spot in my heart. :heart::) That amount of detail, AI reaction level, and charm has not been matched yet, (in my personal opinion).

I do feel Sims 4 has improved since that terrible launch, especially after FINALLY giving us our precious sim toddlers! (And awesome vampires!)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • MirandanikMirandanik Posts: 12 New Member
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Archieonic

Keep in mind they are humans, they make mistake like everybody.
    I imagine it's normal to do the Lin-Z mistake when the holiday is soon, maybe their mind is somewhere else (Xmas, buy the gift, need a break, ...). Personally I'm always tired in December and do several mistakes.

As long as they fixed it quickly, it's not important.

About the small bugs, spending time to fix them = less time to fix the big bugs. When you can't do everything you do some choices.
    Here the highest priority is to fix the issues which break the game.

I agree it's very annoying but all the studios work like that.

I used to know an old man who ran a business and the sign on his desk said "do it right the first time".
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top