Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shoving DLC In Our Face Is Not Going to Work -- Remove This ASAP

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited August 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    xBob18 wrote: »
    TS4 is on its way to beating TS3 in that department. And I thought that was impossible.

Bring back the old TS2 way!!!

TS2, like with virtually everything else, handled advertising EPs without a problem. It was only on the launcher, and the expansion ads were on paper within the physical edition of the boxes. That was it. End of story.

They did not purposely alter the UI to try and make us buy its expansions. We bought them because they were fully fleshed out, fun expansions that were reasonably priced.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Someone's forgetting that the Sims 2 replaced the "click to go to a community lot button" with a "click to go to the Sims 2 store button" (which was an in-game browser where you could buy items $1 each). So many times I pressed it when I wanted to leave a lot, and ended up in the store.

The Sims, like a lot of best selling PC games is about DLC. And this doesn't bother me at all. I don't buy content straight away, and if it's coming monthly, I won't be able to afford to either.
    But it's awesome that I can buy packs in game now.

If they end up having items from Spa Day telling me to buy in buy mode, and notifications telling me to buy, then I will rally with you.

But for now, it's fine.

I never ran into that button before; I had my Sims in 2 go to a community lot by taxi/phone, walking, or by car. Perhaps it was fixed/removed by the time I had the opportunity to see it. And, regardless, no matter how it was in past games it should not be that way in this game.

Build mode is something, I have no doubt, every single player has used in TS4. Putting this button there makes zero sense. Look at the buttons next to it -- those are camera controls. It looks like it was just shoved there. How come Skyrim doesn't do this? I can play the base game of Skyrim without even knowing there's DLC in the game itself.

They're willing to demean the quality of the game itself to squeeze more money out of us. What makes you think they won't do exactly what they did in TS3 with TS4? It starts with a small button now, but it will eventually grow into that.

I'm glad it's fine for you, but it's not fine for me. I couldn't be any less enthusiastic to spend another cent on TS4 now, with how far they are pushing this DLC down our throats.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    It is not a good way to buy new content, in my opinion, I thought that I would buy the last pack via the opening screen but then found that I had paid for a double pack and I already had the first one. It took a lot of effort to cancel the purchase via the online help chat. I had both packs cancelled and had to rebuy. Very helpful staff though.

It took me a week to check if everything was ok.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    To be fair TS3 had the store icon everywhere and even worse it had those store things on the menu hightlighted in yellow.

But if you want it removed it's fine by me. You may count with my "vote" if needed.

You had the option to turn off the in-game store. No option here. I'd prefer to keep it on the main menu and not in my actual game saves.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    That's tacky.

Signed to remove this.
  • Options
    emilyduruemilyduru Posts: 289 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    I don't have this button in the game at all any more, not even at startup. I did run the update this afternoon and I guess it went OK because I do have the dishwasher.

eq07r.jpg
    2gttgmq.jpg

Yeah same and I'd just updated. Guess we're the lucky ones! :p
    9i7a5w.jpg
  • Options
    emilyduru wrote: »
    I don't have this button in the game at all any more, not even at startup. I did run the update this afternoon and I guess it went OK because I do have the dishwasher.

eq07r.jpg
    2gttgmq.jpg

Yeah same and I'd just updated. Guess we're the lucky ones! :p

This leaves me a tiny bit hopeful this is maybe a bug that it is appearing in the actual game itself, but being it's EA, I'm pretty doubtful.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited August 2015
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 That's not a valid justification for this. I remember how it was in TS3, and I don't care. If they were going to make the same dumb mistakes now as they did in The Sims 3, they should not have called this game The Sims 4. Using TS3's mistakes to defend TS4 is entirely wrong.

You do realize they put this button RIGHT where a button used to be; one that was essential to the huge majority of players -- anyone who has ever entered build mode. They had probably hoped we would repeatedly, mistakenly, click this button when we meant to go into build mode, and then be lured into buying the endless DLC.

That's shady and desperate. EA summarized.

I agree about it and like the Never Weary nerf, it isn't mentioned in the patch notes. The issue is it also takes the Build Mode's position as seen in the screenshot below. I don't know if any Simmers have opened the DLC menu when trying to go to Build Mode. TS4 already has muscle memory problems already
    TS4%20UI%20buttons.png?psid=1.

I also disable the advertising of the Store in The Sims 3 and it's nice that TS3 allowed it to be disabled. In TS4, you can't disable the button on Manage Worlds or in Live Mode/Build Mode.
    Post edited by WinMacSims3 on
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Shoved right inbetween buildbuy mode and the gallery aswell, so you'd from time to time accidentally click on it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Still waiting for a word from a guru on its removal.

Nobody wants this in the game. It's not a free Facebook game -- none of us paid 60 dollars + to have our UI rearranged to accommodate advertisement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member

Nobody wants this in the game. It's not a free Facebook game -- none of us paid 60 dollars + to have our UI rearranged to accommodate advertisement.

If you switch to offline mode, does it disappear? I know this isn't a fix, but it might save you some frustration while waiting for things to change.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

If you switch to offline mode, does it disappear? I know this isn't a fix, but it might save you some frustration while waiting for things to change.

Nope, it stays there. If you attempt to click it, it says CONNECTION REQUIRED and gives you the option to look at the DLC. :neutral: Thank you for the suggestion though. It seems like this affects even users offline who have downloaded this patch.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member

It did disappear when I turned off online access. The Gallery turned to a folder icon and the DLC button was gone but re-enabling Online Access puts it back again.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member

It did disappear when I turned off online access. The Gallery turned to a folder icon and the DLC button was gone but re-enabling Online Access puts it back again.

This is true^
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    That is low. At least in ts3 you could turn off having the store stuff show up in buy mode and in CAS. That's totally unacceptable to have that button plastered in the middle of your game with no option to disable it.
    You don't have to push it you can ignore its there.

This isn't a free to play game. People payed quite a bit of money to play this game, there shouldn't be obtrusive adds IN the actual game cluttering up a part of the UI that is heavily used.

A little icon is 'obtrusive'? I noticed it when it was sparkling, clicked it, and then forgot about it. You people act like there's pop up ads in the middle of your screen or something. You have no use for that icon, ignore it. People really will complain about anything.
  • Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't care that it's there? It's just a button.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    It seems like it's push push push all the time
    How far we can push them?

Selling to us has slowly been pushed into live game play.
    I didn't mind it as much when it was limited to buy mode, now I have something in my face in Live mode.

What's next, I click on a chair for my sim to sit in and get a reminder of all the excellent seating choices available in the latest stuff pack?
    Put it back in buy/build mode and the start screen where it belongs, not in Live mode.

probably

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    edited August 2015
    I only wait for Google adds to be put in a Sims game at this point.
  • Options
    ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    Since wisely or not, I've already purchased all they have to offer. So, what does it do to me? Reminds me of what I've spent...and what I've gotten for it. Not good, folks. :s
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • Options
    Songwolf666Songwolf666 Posts: 141 Member
    Its... a button. Click it and it stops sparkling. Why is this such a big thing?
    EA Account: SunReiShin
  • Options

Look at TS3. I've paid HUNDREDS upon hundreds on that game. Yet, for some reason, that wasn't good enough. I had to still have my buy mode polluted with advertisements all over. I think there were even notifications that tried to get us to spend money on the store. Sure, the store stuff could be disabled, but look at TS3 now -- the launcher is full of TS4 ads, even the main menu has a permanent ad for TS4. Should we expect that from a game with a premium price tag? That's what I get for spending hundreds on this game -- advertisement? This is not a Facebook game nor just a free game.

It's a big thing because they rearranged the UI of a game I already spent near 100 on that I was familiar with just to attempt to sell me more DLC. They were willing to demean the quality of their own game just to make a few extra bucks. That's not right. And look, TS4 is only a year old. Just imagine, if we allow this small icon, just how much it will grow when much more DLC is pushed out. We would likely end up with TS3-style advertising, perhaps worse.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited August 2015

Because this isn't a free to play game. This game cost 60 dollars to purchase and therefore we should not be getting advertisements IN GAME.

Our game play should be completely uninterrupted by this sort of thing. We've paid the money already.