Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shoving DLC In Our Face Is Not Going to Work -- Remove This ASAP

Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
edited August 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I updated to the newest patch today, and I noticed something in the upper right corner. Probably because they made sure that I would notice it -- it was sparkling until I clicked on it, and well, they made sure to stick it right where we would look.

VzNcOQ4.png

At first, this icon was only seen on the main menu, and that was fine, because it really wasn't intrusive, and I didn't spend 99% of my time on the main menu. Besides, they shove all that advertising bs on the main menu now (which is ridiculous in its own right), I guess I just have grown accustomed to it. But now, whenever I enter the actual game, the icon remains there, taking up a lot of UI space and sparkles until I click on it. I checked options and there is no way of disabling this icon from appearing in the game, when there SHOULD be an option that completely disables any form of advertising in the game.

Sure, now, it's just an icon that sparkles until you click on it, but I have 0 doubt EA is going to make it EVEN more intrusive, based on the fact TS3 is absolutely cluttered with store content in buy mode, TS4 ads plastered on the main menu and launcher, etc.

Perhaps if you made better EPs/GPs/SPs, we would be more likely to buy them. This is not how you sell content. You sell content on its own merit. I didn't pay full retail price for TS4 so I could look at ads plastered all over my game -- TS4 related or not.

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    To be fair TS3 had the store icon everywhere and even worse it had those store things on the menu hightlighted in yellow.

But if you want it removed it's fine by me. You may count with my "vote" if needed.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 That's not a valid justification for this. I remember how it was in TS3, and I don't care. If they were going to make the same dumb mistakes now as they did in The Sims 3, they should not have called this game The Sims 4. Using TS3's mistakes to defend TS4 is entirely wrong.

You do realize they put this button RIGHT where a button used to be; one that was essential to the huge majority of players -- anyone who has ever entered build mode. They had probably hoped we would repeatedly, mistakenly, click this button when we meant to go into build mode, and then be lured into buying the endless DLC.

That's shady and desperate. EA summarized.

It's not a justification I'm just stating the fact that this is not a TS4 exclusive issue.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I am sorry to disagree but I like getting new dlc content
    He's not talking about getting dlc content... Hes talking about the button at the top of the screen that is now always there (i haven't updated yet, so I'll take your word for it "always" there). So if it is always there, that's terrible. Like really, really bad on their part to add that there. It's not at all necessary all the time. I liked it at the main menu, but that was plenty.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited August 2015
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    That is low. At least in ts3 you could turn off having the store stuff show up in buy mode and in CAS. That's totally unacceptable to have that button plastered in the middle of your game with no option to disable it.
    You don't have to push it you can ignore its there.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Shoving DLC In Our Face Is Not Going to Work -- Remove This ASAP
    Marry me!
  • Options
    That is low. At least in ts3 you could turn off having the store stuff show up in buy mode and in CAS. That's totally unacceptable to have that button plastered in the middle of your game with no option to disable it.
    You don't have to push it you can ignore its there.

This isn't a free to play game. People payed quite a bit of money to play this game, there shouldn't be obtrusive adds IN the actual game cluttering up a part of the UI that is heavily used.

I very much agree with this.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited August 2015
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    I took issue with the icon as soon as I saw it. If I'm going to buy dlc I will, if not accidentally clicking that icon isn't going to do anything but plum me off

Right?

I don't even want a toggle option for this. I want it just the way it used to be -- back in the menu and that's it.
  • Options
    US_Marshall42US_Marshall42 Posts: 236 Member
    I'll be honest it does like pretty obnoxious. Hopefully they'll add an option to turn it off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I don't have this button in the game at all any more, not even at startup. I did run the update this afternoon and I guess it went OK because I do have the dishwasher.

eq07r.jpg
    2gttgmq.jpg
  • Options
    JermanJerman Posts: 128 Member
    Yeah... Sims 4 seems much more intrusive than Sims 3. At least in Sims 3 you could turn them off...
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    xBob18 wrote: »
    TS4 is on its way to beating TS3 in that department. And I thought that was impossible.

Bring back the old TS2 way!!!

TS2, like with virtually everything else, handled advertising EPs without a problem. It was only on the launcher, and the expansion ads were on paper within the physical edition of the boxes. That was it. End of story.

They did not purposely alter the UI to try and make us buy its expansions. We bought them because they were fully fleshed out, fun expansions that were reasonably priced.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Someone's forgetting that the Sims 2 replaced the "click to go to a community lot button" with a "click to go to the Sims 2 store button" (which was an in-game browser where you could buy items $1 each). So many times I pressed it when I wanted to leave a lot, and ended up in the store.

The Sims, like a lot of best selling PC games is about DLC. And this doesn't bother me at all. I don't buy content straight away, and if it's coming monthly, I won't be able to afford to either.
    But it's awesome that I can buy packs in game now.

If they end up having items from Spa Day telling me to buy in buy mode, and notifications telling me to buy, then I will rally with you.

But for now, it's fine.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    Just wait until we get a cool new feature that plays a sixty second commercial for something that the game detects you haven't purchased yet, every fifteen minutes of playtime. :D

Don't give them ideas!!!!!

*runs to hide under bed from EA juggernaut*

:s
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    greenXen wrote: »
    I don't have this button in the game at all any more, not even at startup. I did run the update this afternoon and I guess it went OK because I do have the dishwasher.

eq07r.jpg
    2gttgmq.jpg

Are you playing online or offline?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

image removed
    image removed

Offline, but before the button still showed up, it just asked me if I wanted to connect when I clicked it.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

image removed
    image removed

Offline, but before the button still showed up, it just asked me if I wanted to connect when I clicked it.

Hmm that is weid.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1