Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Together Video Review: Why This Isn't What Simmers Needed

Comments

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Tbh, the game is nowhere near as linear as the Sims 2 (the constant non-optional goals that affect gameplay negatively if you don't). I get so sick of the Sims 2 telling me how to play the game.

And idk Simmers having been asking for Sims to be controlled as a group since the dawn of the franchise.

This pack is so overdue it's almost embarrassing it's taken almost 16 years. It's much needed.

What you said about TS2 is more applicable on TS4!! For example in GET TO WORK EP when you follow your sim to his job, you are forced to do what the game wants you. You cant do what you want to do! This is what linear is. You get so sick of it because you want to have the freedom to make your sim do what you want not what EA forces you to do.

In TS2 those wants and fears were optional things just like whims in TS4, you can fulfill them or not. TS4 is way more linear than TS2.

That is just not so. I can send my sims there and do whatever I please. I can make serums, use the machine thingy to make things, go collecting....I can do whatever I want in the day there.

I want my sim to make money, to be promoted. Without doing those tasks that wont happen. I dont mind having goals but broad ones.

Instead of "Mop the floor" "Drink coffee" "Great colleagues" etc they should have added the goals for the day like:
    "Treat 5 patients"
    "Make 1 colleague a friend"

Broad things so I wouldn't get sick of the game telling me what to do. Where it is my job to treat the patients using all the different options I have instead of "Examine a patient's eyes" "Examine Ear"
    The game is asking me to do these tasks to make money and be promoted, that should not happen it makes it very linear. By the time all these tasks are done the time is finished and I feel I have not done anything and did not have fun.

I would rather send my sim to public areas to collect items and sell them instead of having that kind of job that cripples my gameplay.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    SiliClone wrote: »
    This EP doesn't shine per se, but it's a good foundation for futures EP. Imagine if they add something like free time, or supernatural, or restaurants. Future EP could take great advantage of the get together system. It's actually an EP they can sell in bundle with the basegame without problems. Not what I want NOW, but maybe there is a reason to release it now.

If this was a good foundation then it should have been in the base game. Base games comes with foundations and EPs expand on them. That is how it should be.
    How many foundations EA is going to realease? and how many EPs will follow?

If this foundation was not released in the base game and will be released in an EP then that EP should come with the foundation and core features showing how this foundation will be used.

The thing is what you are calling as a foundation is just on paper for now. Nobody has seen anything in action.

An example of a good foundation was OFB, It was a foundation for the EPs followed and it had a huge set of core features. It had both.

If this was true, then the clubs from TS3 University should have been a base game element too. Or Generations too.
    I don't call this EP a "good foundation" because it brings something that should have been in the base game, but because unlike many other DLCs that add something new but kind of exclusive to its own element - and I'm talking about GTW, here, that you can easily forget you even installed it, since it doesn't change a thing in the game, or OR, or the Spa GP, which both function only when you need that feature -, this kind of gameplay will glue together every single new piece of content released in the future.
    More than "foundation", I'd just call it "cement". A nice way to keep all the bricks together.

I predict this EP will be the same. It doesn't add anything new, so while you'll be able to create a club what exactly are they going to do? That has been a fundamental problem in the game since release, and this pack doesn't solve that problem. It adds groups, but doesn't add anything exciting for them to do together. The trailer depicted sims dancing and parting together, because that's the only content that really makes sense with this EP; and that content is mostly all included at the base level with the exception of some updated animations.

This pack is barren, they had the opportunity to add some great features here; Restaurants, cinemas, or apartments would have fit the theme here, but the biggest thing we are getting is social groups. The game has been out for a year. They already delivered the foundation, so it's time they start building the structure; concrete does no good when there are no bricks to hold together.

They interact xD. And they do it together.

yes but do what?

... really? Whatever you think they should do. Isn't this a life simulator game? You tell them what to do, and they do it.
    If you're actually waiting for "new" things to do, like... climb a tree, pilot a jet, play with kites, catch butterflies or whatever the devs plan to add in the future, well, we'll see what the future holds only when the time comes.
    For now, I have already plenty of ideas about groups of friends, enemies and acquaintances, how they'll interact and live their lives, which is why I don't feel like anything's lacking in my gameplay.
    Well, except toddlers. But they'll come too, sooner or later. I'm not in a hurry, here.

I am sorry but there is no point in having groups to climb trees! What I mean there should be many group activities to go with the group thing. Right now we have dancing, exercising, Yoga. What else? In this pack itself there should be ton of activities to go with the club. If they did not add the activities the whole group thing will not work.

You can enlarge a TV to make it like a cinema and then make groups sit and watch but unfortunately you cannot monetize it because GTW did not offer the ticket Machine. There is so much left to be desired in GTW and I think GT will have the same thing.

The biggest mistake EA made with Get together is add they didn't actually add any new skill like TS2 freetime.
    You'll run out of options quickly.

Yea, besides DJ and dance skills there is no more skills!! I am not even interested in these two skills. Really want some useful skills for my sims, where they can produce things, repair things.

The handiness skill is already in the game :)

Not this way.
    I want a skill where my sim can be a carpenter and make the chairs and tables (The actual object we have in the game not dummy ones)
    Another sim make carpets. A sim that make electronics, Sim making curtains.
    I want the sims to actually get the skills to make all the available objects in the buy mode

I don't think these things would be difficult for them to do. because the objects are there already. Its a matter of adding 2-3 animations and we can have these skills and endless items plus future objects too.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited November 2015
    Check out my video review of Get Together!

In this video, I delve into why Get Together isn’t the expansion pack we want, need or deserve. I also discuss EA’s problematic vision for The Sims 4, and the cons of linear gameplay vs. sandbox gameplay.

I worked really hard on this video (and skipped a day of work to make it) so please give a thumbs up and/or a comment if you enjoyed it! I’d also really like to hear what you guys (especially those who disagree with me) have to say about my arguments against Get Together.

Thanks guys, you're the best :)

Just wondering if you still felt this way, or maybe since more info is out you changed your mind? I'd love an update on your thoughts.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Check out my video review of Get Together!

In this video, I delve into why Get Together isn’t the expansion pack we want, need or deserve. I also discuss EA’s problematic vision for The Sims 4, and the cons of linear gameplay vs. sandbox gameplay.

I worked really hard on this video (and skipped a day of work to make it) so please give a thumbs up and/or a comment if you enjoyed it! I’d also really like to hear what you guys (especially those who disagree with me) have to say about my arguments against Get Together.

Thanks guys, you're the best :)

Just wondering if you still felt this way, or maybe since more info is out you changed your mind? I'd love an update on your thoughts.

Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member
    I agree with you, mattandphilsims2.
    I also don't understand them, most of the players (me too!) like to play with Sims like it is real life, we don't do parties everyday in real life right? We have families, seasons, pets, toddlers, vacations. This is on first place for us, and then they could already add party worlds etc.
    We didn't ask these. I'll buy this EP just because it's getting boring to play TS4 again, because there is nothing other then young adult sims, and not much activities, but i know i'll be visit these public places for a couple of times and then forget about it like i forgot about spa. I hate these loading screens!!!! I prefer to stay at home. Open world was fantastic new! and.... heloo again we come back to sims 1 or 2.
    We were asking and still asking the weather changes, cats and dogs, children etc.
    To have party all the time it is boring. Everybody happy to have this new EP because it is something new, new world, etc, because we tired to do nothing in this game, but eventually it will not be that much interesting again.
    And again we will please them to give us seasons etc.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I also don't understand them, most of the players (me too!) like to play with Sims like it is real life, we don't do parties everyday in real life right? We have families, seasons, pets, toddlers, vacations. This is on first place for us, and then they could already add party worlds etc.
    We didn't ask these. I'll buy this EP just because it's getting boring to play TS4 again, because there is nothing other then young adult sims, and not much activities, but i know i'll be visit these public places for a couple of times and then forget about it like i forgot about spa. I hate these loading screens!!!! I prefer to stay at home. Open world was fantastic new! and.... heloo again we come back to sims 1 or 2.
    We were asking and still asking the weather changes, cats and dogs, children etc.
    To have party all the time it is boring. Everybody happy to have this new EP because it is something new, new world, etc, because we tired to do nothing in this game, but eventually it will not be that much interesting again.

I'm sorry but I don't think it's right to use the word most when we don't know how most of the Simmers play with Sims, it would be best to speak for yourself because some Simmers do Party every day, since it's something they enjoy but how many Simmers do that is completely unknown. This is also The Sims 4, The Sims 1 and 2's 'Worlds' were much smaller and had less activity, The Sims 4 shows a compromise with it's lack of an Open World, which some players don't actually like and many have problems with it.
    When it comes to asking for content, Maxis has allot of things they have to focus on, we already get almost monthly Content Patches along with Packs that are released more frequently, I don't doubt that we'd get Weather, Cats and Dogs and we already have Children, but sometimes you have to wait for content you want to be added just like everyone else, personally I really want Cats and Dogs to be added soon too.
    You don't have to have Parties all the time by the way, it's an optional feature you can always refrain from using. Also it's best not to speak for everybody on these Forums, allot of us have been enjoying the game without the inclusion of Get Together or any or most Packs at all and to some Simmers, the game will still be interesting in the long run, just like how some Simmers are still playing The Sims, The Sims 2 or The Sims 3. I don't mean to sound rude, I just want you to know that in this Forum, speaking for others or everyone can get you in trouble with some Simmers.

~Hugs and Cookies~ :cookie:

Have a good day :)
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member

Looking back at my old idea threads, this EP is pretty much everything I asked for apart from mermaids. Please speak for yourself.

My advice to you would be stop expecting the sims 4 to be exactly like the past games and appreciate it for what it is. Something different.
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I thought this was a new thread and was like "🐸🐸🐸🐸, this person wasn't even invited to the event" I thought after all these news the OP took his time to be hateful... At the time he didn't even know what the pack was about. I think that everything the community needs will come. But we have to wait! It was like this for every sims game. It's still year one, there's a lot more time to go for things to be added. I get the impression the next expansion will be a thing we already had in the previous games. They can't try new ideas one after another, because we as simmers have expectations of what the series have, like seasons, pets or more in depth family play.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Tbh, the game is nowhere near as linear as the Sims 2 (the constant non-optional goals that affect gameplay negatively if you don't). I get so sick of the Sims 2 telling me how to play the game.

And idk Simmers having been asking for Sims to be controlled as a group since the dawn of the franchise.

This pack is so overdue it's almost embarrassing it's taken almost 16 years. It's much needed.

What you said about TS2 is more applicable on TS4!! For example in GET TO WORK EP when you follow your sim to his job, you are forced to do what the game wants you. You cant do what you want to do! This is what linear is. You get so sick of it because you want to have the freedom to make your sim do what you want not what EA forces you to do.

In TS2 those wants and fears were optional things just like whims in TS4, you can fulfill them or not. TS4 is way more linear than TS2.

That is just not so. I can send my sims there and do whatever I please. I can make serums, use the machine thingy to make things, go collecting....I can do whatever I want in the day there.

I want my sim to make money, to be promoted. Without doing those tasks that wont happen. I dont mind having goals but broad ones.

Instead of "Mop the floor" "Drink coffee" "Great colleagues" etc they should have added the goals for the day like:
    "Treat 5 patients"
    "Make 1 colleague a friend"

Broad things so I wouldn't get sick of the game telling me what to do. Where it is my job to treat the patients using all the different options I have instead of "Examine a patient's eyes" "Examine Ear"
    The game is asking me to do these tasks to make money and be promoted, that should not happen it makes it very linear. By the time all these tasks are done the time is finished and I feel I have not done anything and did not have fun.

I would rather send my sim to public areas to collect items and sell them instead of having that kind of job that cripples my gameplay.

You don't really have to do those things if you fill the requirements under the briefcase in the Sim panel. Once those are filled which is usually just one or two things, you can pretty much do whatever at the hospital and the police station. Like at the police station my Sim had already filled his requirement to interrogate a witness (under the brief case) so I didn't feel like getting another case file that day ( a requirement in the list at the left) I sent him out jogging in that world because I hadn't explored very much of it if I play linear/scripted.

I never fill them all in the lists and do what I think is reasonable to solve a case, and or heal a patient. True they don't get a promotion everyday unless I follow the script but my Sims don't need a promotion everyday that's just flying through my game if I play to gain a promotion everyday. I don't even mind them staying in a position for a long time if I like that position for them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member

Looking back at my old idea threads, this EP is pretty much everything I asked for apart from mermaids. Please speak for yourself.

My advice to you would be stop expecting the sims 4 to be exactly like the past games and appreciate it for what it is. Something different.

Enjoy the game!
  • Options
    I thought this was a new thread and was like "🐸🐸🐸🐸, this person wasn't even invited to the event" I thought after all these news the OP took his time to be hateful... At the time he didn't even know what the pack was about. I think that everything the community needs will come. But we have to wait! It was like this for every sims game. It's still year one, there's a lot more time to go for things to be added. I get the impression the next expansion will be a thing we already had in the previous games. They can't try new ideas one after another, because we as simmers have expectations of what the series have, like seasons, pets or more in depth family play.

I agree. It seems silly to post a review of a new EP based on the announcement trailer without knowing everything about the EP. I didn't like the way they announced it either (I was still going to buy it because I buy all the packs). It's like a movie critic seeing a trailer of a new movie that's not out yet and deciding that it's a horrible movie. Maybe it is, maybe the best parts are in that trailer (we've all see that happen), But maybe there's more. Maybe the movie will be a good one people will enjoy, maybe it even win awards. But see the movie first before you write a review about how disappointed you are that the movie offered nothing for you. A review, good or bad, based on so little information is silly and irresponsible. If you truly like the game as much as you claim, then review it after it is released, there will be some that will wait for reviews of other players before deciding on whether or not to buy the EP. This EP is clearly so much more than a "party" EP. When family packs are created (and I too, would like them soon) I think GT will enhance those future EPs making family play richer and fuller. Groups of moms with toddlers at the park, dog lovers club, cat lovers club, polar bear clubs that go swimming in winter, babysitters club, sleep overs, witch covens that meet to curse/cure sims, the possibilities go on and on, all based on this group system in this "party" EP. I'm not asking you to change your mind, just base your decision on all the information. Happy simming!
  • Options
    Bashsync2015Bashsync2015 Posts: 228 Member
    I seen some questions and answers about the base game and how this pack adds game core base. But I thought that the patch was going to be a foundation for the base game and that's free no pays for that. So doesn't that mean that the ep coming out expands on the patch, that is being patched into the game next week to the base game? So wouldn't that patch be the foundation for the expansion pack? So please explains this too me, I would hate to waste money.
  • Options
    The EP will add the club system that you can create to fit your needs for your club requirements. The patch will improve groups of sims hanging out together. For example, if you take your sims family to the park, they will scatter in different directions. After the patch, they should remain closer together for outings. This is not the same as the expansive club system which only comes with the EP.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    The EP will add the club system that you can create to fit your needs for your club requirements. The patch will improve groups of sims hanging out together. For example, if you take your sims family to the park, they will scatter in different directions. After the patch, they should remain closer together for outings. This is not the same as the expansive club system which only comes with the EP.

Do not know if you are exactly answer to my question. But that makes sense, but can't help but feel it is similar in a sense. I guess
  • Options

Do not know if you are exactly answer to my question. But that makes sense, but can't help but feel it is similar in a sense. I guess

I think they wanted to improve groups hanging out on lots for those that may not buy GT'
  • Options

I think they wanted to improve groups hanging out on lots for those that may not buy GT'[/quote]

Makes sense, but now I think club aspect then is unessary then
  • Options

I think they wanted to improve groups hanging out on lots for those that may not buy GT'

[/quote]

The club system is so much more than sims hanging out together at the park. But if that's enough for you, then don't buy it. I, however, will be buying it because (if for no other reason) future packs will be enhanced by the club system.
  • Options

The club system is so much more than sims hanging out together at the park. But if that's enough for you, then don't buy it. I, however, will be buying it because (if for no other reason) future packs will be enhanced by the club system.[/quote]

I guess I'll have to get it to judge the impact fully. But thanks anyways for answering
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

[/quote]

The do-things-together that's coming in the patch will only affect your played Sim and Sims they are with, and it will require deliberately choosing to use the options each time you want something to happen.

The clubs that come in the EP will affect your played Sim and the entire world of Sims all around them. Without your played Sim doing anything, the worlds will be more filled with Sims doing activities together, and not just randomly but because they have something in common. Your played Sim will be able to make a club and then the Sims in that club will tend to do the things in club rules without your Sim having to direct them to do those things again. Your played Sim will also be able to gather all those Sims together quickly. And when you switch to another Sim, that club will still do its thing. It's a much, much bigger, more complex system than what the patch will have.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I don't think the new world will be in the patch either, and I want that!
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited November 2015
    Lol at the tittle of this thread, Get Together is exactly what simmers needed.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I don't think the new world will be in the patch either, and I want that!

lol, no, the new world won't be in the patch. lol
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited November 2015
    OP is a cutie and it does not bother me that I have to disagree with everything he says/mentions in his video. Hey, it's his opinion, right?

However, what really annoys me is that he thinks he has the right to talk in the name of ALL of us ("We didn't want this", "this is not what SIMMERS needed").

It's funny because you always hear these things - or this:
    I also don't understand them, most of the players (me too!) like to play with Sims like it is real life, we don't do parties everyday in real life right?

ONLY (!) from those "special" family players. I don't get it. How can this rude and presumptuous group think (without proving it that they are a majority) they can possibly represent most/all of us.

Why? Have they lost their Relation to reality? It's astounding, I mean, it's always the same type of player who does this. Has anybody noticed?

Edit: Dear OP, truly, Get Together is what I have always wanted to have in my game. It is better (because caters to almost all playstyles with its club feature) than any Generations EP could have ever been.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I agree with HalloMolli! No Simmer has the right to speak on all Simmers' behalf in this community. It would be different if we all elect a community leader. Or someone to speak for all of us here, but we don't. And therefor no Simmer has the right to speak for everyone in this community.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2015
    He has made a statement in the video comments section.
    Sims4News 1 day ago
    Hey guys! Thanks for all of the views, comments and subs...you all rock! I just want to say that even with all of the new information about Get Together, I stand by everything I said in this video. I am impressed at how fleshed out Get Together is, and I think that delaying it was a good and brave choice on EA's part, but I still believe that TS4 has many serious, core issues and that Get Together is a step in the wrong direction. It's been amazing to hear everyone's opinions though, and I hope that some people enjoy the expansion next month! :)

I don't think he is saying this EP isn't needed period.
    He's just talking about the timing of it. I agree with the timing, because I stopped playing families and I am just sticking with YAs until we get a Generations type Ep with toddlers and hopefully pre-teens or re-worked teens.

Get Together will be useful for my YA's and I think I will enjoy it, but none of them are getting married until they can have toddlers and more family play. I don't know about his claim that Get Together will be repetitive, especially if it it can allow clubs to absorb other Eps and allow your sims to enjoy other EP and GP content as a group.

It's not a step in the wrong direction, it's a step in the right direction, but the series is moving ahead before addressing other issues.

However, you can also look at it as progressing at slower pace than usual because of the base game. I've been calling it slow motion simming. I am still in the YA phase. It's all about their careers and forming friendships. A dating GP will get them romancing. A Generations EP will get on to the adult phase, marriage, and having kids. A base should normally do that, but I haven't been satisfied with that and put my sims on hold until the series is a little more fleshed out. Give me University and those kids are going to college.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds