Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Together Video Review: Why This Isn't What Simmers Needed

Comments

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    MikeAM91 wrote: »
    SiliClone wrote: »
    MikeAM91 wrote: »
    This EP doesn't shine per se, but it's a good foundation for futures EP. Imagine if they add something like free time, or supernatural, or restaurants. Future EP could take great advantage of the get together system. It's actually an EP they can sell in bundle with the basegame without problems. Not what I want NOW, but maybe there is a reason to release it now.

Thank you for illustrating the EXACT problem with TS4... Expansions should NOT be foundations for future expansions! The base game is the foundation!!!

It was like this with Sims 2 EPs too, like restaurants in nightlife and open for business. It's only bigger this time, on a business point of view it make sense to try and sell all the EP, SP and GP.

It's different than TS2 though because they are trying to sell us an "EP" with the main feature being a single gameplay mechanic (i.e. clubs). I'm fine with having to own GTW in order to run a coffee shop in GT, it's always been like that. But, they can't expect me to pay 40 bucks for one core gameplay addition while telling me look at what a great foundation it is for future DLC. If I'm going to pay for an expansion, I will buy it for whats actually included and not for what a great foundation it will be for future packs... If they don't add another major feature in GT I will not be buying until it is heavily discounted.

You cant run a coffee shop. This is confirmed. Any service related shop is not possible. The biggest mistake they did is not adding the ticket machine from OFB in GTW. Thats why you cant run a gym, spa or anything else. GTW is not even half OFB. It was supposed to be a remake that expands on OFB features but instead it chopped half of the stuff and changed all the good ascpects of OFB to some disappointing things.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Tbh, the game is nowhere near as linear as the Sims 2 (the constant non-optional goals that affect gameplay negatively if you don't). I get so sick of the Sims 2 telling me how to play the game.

And idk Simmers having been asking for Sims to be controlled as a group since the dawn of the franchise.

This pack is so overdue it's almost embarrassing it's taken almost 16 years. It's much needed.

What you said about TS2 is more applicable on TS4!! For example in GET TO WORK EP when you follow your sim to his job, you are forced to do what the game wants you. You cant do what you want to do! This is what linear is. You get so sick of it because you want to have the freedom to make your sim do what you want not what EA forces you to do.

In TS2 those wants and fears were optional things just like whims in TS4, you can fulfill them or not. TS4 is way more linear than TS2.

Um, have you ever held a job by doing anything you wanted?

I also don't get micromanaged at work, though. :confused:

IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    Tbh, the game is nowhere near as linear as the Sims 2 (the constant non-optional goals that affect gameplay negatively if you don't). I get so sick of the Sims 2 telling me how to play the game.

And idk Simmers having been asking for Sims to be controlled as a group since the dawn of the franchise.

This pack is so overdue it's almost embarrassing it's taken almost 16 years. It's much needed.

What you said about TS2 is more applicable on TS4!! For example in GET TO WORK EP when you follow your sim to his job, you are forced to do what the game wants you. You cant do what you want to do! This is what linear is. You get so sick of it because you want to have the freedom to make your sim do what you want not what EA forces you to do.

In TS2 those wants and fears were optional things just like whims in TS4, you can fulfill them or not. TS4 is way more linear than TS2.

Yep nobody tells me to clean something or to make coffee and drink it!!
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited August 2015
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Yep nobody tells me to clean something or to make coffee and drink it!!

My Boss: Go get yourself a coffee.
    Me: But sir, I'm on the phone to a client.
    My Boss: I don't CARE! Its what the instructions say.
    Me: Dude chillax. I have coffee when I want.
    My Boss: Fine, your fired.
    Me: You actually serious?!
    My Boss: GET OUT!
    (I walk out of the office and go home with no job because I wouldn't Drink the coffee)
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    @MDancer9112 I'm just freaked that sometimes, there are bosses out there like this. O_O
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    This EP doesn't shine per se, but it's a good foundation for futures EP. Imagine if they add something like free time, or supernatural, or restaurants. Future EP could take great advantage of the get together system. It's actually an EP they can sell in bundle with the basegame without problems. Not what I want NOW, but maybe there is a reason to release it now.

If this was a good foundation then it should have been in the base game. Base games comes with foundations and EPs expand on them. That is how it should be.
    How many foundations EA is going to realease? and how many EPs will follow?

If this foundation was not released in the base game and will be released in an EP then that EP should come with the foundation and core features showing how this foundation will be used.

The thing is what you are calling as a foundation is just on paper for now. Nobody has seen anything in action.

An example of a good foundation was OFB, It was a foundation for the EPs followed and it had a huge set of core features. It had both.

If this was true, then the clubs from TS3 University should have been a base game element too. Or Generations too.
    I don't call this EP a "good foundation" because it brings something that should have been in the base game, but because unlike many other DLCs that add something new but kind of exclusive to its own element - and I'm talking about GTW, here, that you can easily forget you even installed it, since it doesn't change a thing in the game, or OR, or the Spa GP, which both function only when you need that feature -, this kind of gameplay will glue together every single new piece of content released in the future.
    More than "foundation", I'd just call it "cement". A nice way to keep all the bricks together.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited August 2015

If this was a good foundation then it should have been in the base game. Base games comes with foundations and EPs expand on them. That is how it should be.

If this foundation was not released in the base game and will be released in an EP then that EP should come with the foundation and core features showing how this foundation will be used.

The thing is what you are calling as a foundation is just on paper for now. Nobody has seen anything in action.

An example of a good foundation was OFB, It was a foundation for the EPs followed and it had a huge set of core features. It had both.

If this was true, then the clubs from TS3 University should have been a base game element too. Or Generations too.
    I don't call this EP a "good foundation" because it brings something that should have been in the base game, but because unlike many other DLCs that add something new but kind of exclusive to its own element - and I'm talking about GTW, here, that you can easily forget you even installed it, since it doesn't change a thing in the game, or OR, or the Spa GP, which both function only when you need that feature -, this kind of gameplay will glue together every single new piece of content released in the future.
    More than "foundation", I'd just call it "cement". A nice way to keep all the bricks together.

I predict this EP will be the same. It doesn't add anything new, so while you'll be able to create a club what exactly are they going to do? That has been a fundamental problem in the game since release, and this pack doesn't solve that problem. It adds groups, but doesn't add anything exciting for them to do together. The trailer depicted sims dancing and parting together, because that's the only content that really makes sense with this EP; and that content is mostly all included at the base level with the exception of some updated animations.

This pack is barren, they had the opportunity to add some great features here; Restaurants, cinemas, or apartments would have fit the theme here, but the biggest thing we are getting is social groups. The game has been out for a year. They already delivered the foundation, so it's time they start building the structure; concrete does no good when there are no bricks to hold together.
  • Options

I predict this EP will be the same. It doesn't add anything new, so while you'll be able to create a club what exactly are they going to do? That has been a fundamental problem in the game since release, and this pack doesn't solve that problem. It adds groups, but doesn't add anything exciting for them to do together. The trailer depicted sims dancing and parting together, because that's the only content that really makes sense with this EP; and that content is mostly all included at the base level with the exception of some updated animations.

This pack is barren, they had the opportunity to add some great features here; Restaurants, cinemas, or apartments would have fit the theme here, but the biggest thing we are getting is social groups. The game has been out for a year. They already delivered the foundation, so it's time they start building the structure; concrete does no good when there are no bricks to hold together.

They interact xD. And they do it together.
    Honestly, this is already enough to improve my gameplay, because I play with tons of different sims and create all sorts of groups of friends already, and I needed a feature like this to truly shape these towns I spend hours gluing together in a web of relationships.
    And I see bricks too, only if not of the highest quality.
    If this pack doesn't give anything relevant to your gameplay, then ok, I understand why you feel it's completely void and meaningless. It also doesn't mean that it has to be like this for everyone else.
    KEBB11a.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015

This is an important question here.
    What will these sims in groups do?

So far nothing has been added in the game for group activity. So the things that are already in game can be done only.

Dancing? Exercising in the gym? reading book together?
    These are not enough things. My sim can can do all that with other sims already. They dance together (not necessarily the same steps) and the gym is crowded as a group activity.
    giphy.gif
  • Options

yes but do what?
    giphy.gif
  • Options

yes but do what?

... really? Whatever you think they should do. Isn't this a life simulator game? You tell them what to do, and they do it.
    If you're actually waiting for "new" things to do, like... climb a tree, pilot a jet, play with kites, catch butterflies or whatever the devs plan to add in the future, well, we'll see what the future holds only when the time comes.
    For now, I have already plenty of ideas about groups of friends, enemies and acquaintances, how they'll interact and live their lives, which is why I don't feel like anything's lacking in my gameplay.
    Well, except toddlers. But they'll come too, sooner or later. I'm not in a hurry, here.
    KEBB11a.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

yes but do what?

... really? Whatever you think they should do. Isn't this a life simulator game? You tell them what to do, and they do it.
    If you're actually waiting for "new" things to do, like... climb a tree, pilot a jet, play with kites, catch butterflies or whatever the devs plan to add in the future, well, we'll see what the future holds only when the time comes.
    For now, I have already plenty of ideas about groups of friends, enemies and acquaintances, how they'll interact and live their lives, which is why I don't feel like anything's lacking in my gameplay.
    Well, except toddlers. But they'll come too, sooner or later. I'm not in a hurry, here.

You can already catch butterflies in Granite Falls :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

yes but do what?

I am sorry but there is no point in having groups to climb trees! What I mean there should be many group activities to go with the group thing. Right now we have dancing, exercising, Yoga. What else? In this pack itself there should be ton of activities to go with the club. If they did not add the activities the whole group thing will not work.

You can enlarge a TV to make it like a cinema and then make groups sit and watch but unfortunately you cannot monetize it because GTW did not offer the ticket Machine. There is so much left to be desired in GTW and I think GT will have the same thing.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member

yes but do what?

I am sorry but there is no point in having groups to climb trees! What I mean there should be many group activities to go with the group thing. Right now we have dancing, exercising, Yoga. What else? In this pack itself there should be ton of activities to go with the club. If they did not add the activities the whole group thing will not work.

You can enlarge a TV to make it like a cinema and then make groups sit and watch but unfortunately you cannot monetize it because GTW did not offer the ticket Machine. There is so much left to be desired in GTW and I think GT will have the same thing.

The biggest mistake EA made with Get together is add they didn't actually add any new skill like TS2 freetime.
    You'll run out of options quickly.
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • Options

yes but do what?

The biggest mistake EA made with Get together is add they didn't actually add any new skill like TS2 freetime.

Yea, besides DJ and dance skills there is no more skills!! I am not even interested in these two skills. Really want some useful skills for my sims, where they can produce things, repair things.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

yes but do what?

Yea, besides DJ and dance skills there is no more skills!! I am not even interested in these two skills. Really want some useful skills for my sims, where they can produce things, repair things.

The handiness skill is already in the game :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBx2Vp4Osv8

I enjoyed the video and thanks for sharing your thoughts on The Sims. I agree with several points you made & why I have been upset with the game from time to time.

It has it's enjoyable parts, but also many aspects that makes the game just feel limited in many ways.

Again, thanks for sharing :)
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

This is an important question here.
    What will these sims in groups do?

So far nothing has been added in the game for group activity. So the things that are already in game can be done only.

Dancing? Exercising in the gym? reading book together?
    These are not enough things. My sim can can do all that with other sims already. They dance together (not necessarily the same steps) and the gym is crowded as a group activity.

That's my issue with the group feature as well. As the game is now, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of activities, whether solo or together. So having groups to do the small amount of available activities just doesn't appeal to me right now. If Get Together added a substantial amount of activities I'd probably feel differently about the EP. Hopefully future EPs will contain more activities and I'll reconsider buying this one at that time. Right now, I'm just not seeing enough to make me feel it's worth $40 of my game budget.

• Options
    AyuismAyuism Posts: 286 Member
    How do we know they aren't going to add new activities and skills? Is this confirmed?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Ayuism wrote: »
    How do we know they aren't going to add new activities and skills? Is this confirmed?
    It's in the official blurb: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/store/expansion-packs/get-together
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I watched your clip and it is very nice.

In addition, I'm tired of unlocking content by doing stuff. I want to spend time playing not doing a million things to get the content that came with something I already paid for. I hate that; just hate it. That gets old fast too.

You said just what I was thinking that they can already meet sims and explore. I don't/won't call these worlds. They are neighborhood/or hoods. You can't and in the future won't be able to fit in all the places to go ect. into one neighborhood. My plan is to choose one, probably the free one they gave us and load all the community stores ect. there and then make homes in the rest of the hoods. Also, as I said in an earlier comment and you also said, no one asked for this. People were expecting something big right before Christmas and right before the busiest shopping season in the year. Weather, toddler/family play, Holidays, and pets were mostly what I saw along with requests for apartments and optional housing. I never bought into not buying to send a message, but I do now. Because I could always find reasons to like content in the past and while this could've been added later when we had the above wished for EPs and farming, supernatural, and other requested EPs, this blends in way to much with what we have to look different.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I like about it. The closets for sure. Adding clubs/groups is interesting and I don't know what else it boasts, but it would've been better received later on in the series. EA ect. may be aiming for the younger crowd, but they are dependent on parents to buy their stuff and a game add on isn't going to be high on the list or they have things they have to buy and won't be spending on an EP that doesn't add great gameplay. Meanwhile, the older simmers, who have voiced there tired of a YA centered game for many years now; who feel unlistened to; and who can buy/or not at the drop of the hat are a dangerous bunch. I suddenly fully find myself part of that group.
  • Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I will probably not be buying this EP because most of what I have seen I would maybe do once, just doesn't make it worth 40 dollars. I have played Sims since it first came out, I don't do the party scene as it is now, the only time I go to the bars, lounges, or parks is when my sims are going on a date, I rarely have them dance then. I am going to hold out for Pets. I also noticed in the new town all the houses are the same on the outside, where in this world does every home and business have the same exterior.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited October 2015
    pinkish wrote: »
    I will probably not be buying this EP because most of what I have seen I would maybe do once, just doesn't make it worth 40 dollars. I have played Sims since it first came out, I don't do the party scene as it is now, the only time I go to the bars, lounges, or parks is when my sims are going on a date, I rarely have them dance then. I am going to hold out for Pets. I also noticed in the new town all the houses are the same on the outside, where in this world does every home and business have the same exterior.
    I'm guessing that you are referring to the houses with the exposed wooden beams on the outside, and over-lapping second floor. Don't know what to tell you. But those are Tudor style houses and they all really do look the same in RL, inside and out.

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

That is just not so. I can send my sims there and do whatever I please. I can make serums, use the machine thingy to make things, go collecting....I can do whatever I want in the day there.
  • Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    pinkish wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you are referring to the houses with the exposed wooden beams on the outside, and over-lapping second floor. Don't know what to tell you. But those are Tudor style houses and they all really do look the same in RL, inside and out.

It looks kind of cookie cutter to me, maybe different colors would help....