Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    I like that we almost always have last minute entries. Glad you could make it @AdamsEve1231 I wonder if anyone else will submit in the last couple of hours. Because we do have two more hours before the deadline.

Guess I'll find out in the morning. I'll go ahead and post June's theme then I'll be going to sleep. I hope you all like it. Have fun with it. It was inspired by a game after all... ;)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options

June's Theme: Balderdash

This month you have a list of unusual words to choose from. You may have heard of some/many/all of them before, but you likely hear every day. Choose one from the list as inspiration for your short story in June. You can use it as this title - you might define your chosen word in your story, but those things are not required. One definite rule this month is that you must use your chosen word at least once in some way in your story. More than one person can choose the same word. (Also feel free to post which word you want to use in the thread.)
    • dotish
    • epizeuxis
    • yokel
    • hornswoggle
    • lollygag
    • xenology
    • tarradiddle
    • necromancy
    • collywobbles
    • jejune
    • impavid
    • wanderlust
    • grandiloquent
    • porphyrophobia
    • bumbledom
    • kerfuffle
    • omphaloskepsis
    • zagadoo

Special Rules: None this month. The usual 500-1500 word and 1-12 screenshot limit are in place.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    I'm only mildly disappointed to see that my favorite underappreciated strange word, "defenestrate" isn't on the list, hahahaha! I think that is made up by the inclusion of "zagadoo," which got a pretty hard chuckle out of me.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited June 2016
    Awesome theme @Carewren123 ! are we allowed to use more than one of the words in the story? Or does it have to be only one?

I have an idea already but it involves using more than just one of the words!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I'm only mildly disappointed to see that my favorite underappreciated strange word, "defenestrate" isn't on the list, hahahaha! I think that is made up by the inclusion of "zagadoo," which got a pretty hard chuckle out of me.

But But But @mastressalita it has porphyrophobia and epizeuxis!! How will any of us ever pick one?
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited June 2016
    I like that we almost always have last minute entries. Glad you could make it @AdamsEve1231 I wonder if anyone else will submit in the last couple of hours. Because we do have two more hours before the deadline.

Guess I'll find out in the morning. I'll go ahead and post June's theme then I'll be going to sleep. I hope you all like it. Have fun with it. It was inspired by a game after all... ;)

Thanks @Carewren123. I was rushing to finish screenshots before I had to leave for class earlier.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Lollygag? That makes me smile.
    Actually this whole list of words and the June theme makes me smile.
    :)

I thoroughly enjoy the word 'loquacious' and that didn't make the list, but that's okay. You cannot possibly include all words.

Looking forward to using unusual words this month in my story.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Voting Is OPEN

Voting for the May 2016 winners is open at this time. (Poll closes at midnight (Central US time) on the night of June 5.)

We're trying a different method of voting this month. Instead of choosing your picks for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places you will simply list your three favorite submitted stories (You must list three different stories). Rank doesn't matter - you don't have to list 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Just your three favorite in general. The stories with the most votes overall will be the winners.

http://carewren123.polldaddy.com/s/june-2016-short-story-poll

Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Hopefully the new voting instruction are clear and easy. But as always let me know if you have any questions. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Awesome theme @Carewren123 ! are we allowed to use more than one of the words in the story? Or does it have to be only one?

I have an idea already but it involves using more than just one of the words!

@CitizenErased14 Sure feel free to use more than one of the words. I think that just makes it an added challenge so more power to you!

@mastressalita I'm glad you were amused by "zagadoo" Do you remember @CathyTea suggesting a theme of "War of the Zagadoo". After that I had to include it in the list of unusual/silly words. :)
    I thoroughly enjoy the word 'loquacious' and that didn't make the list, but that's okay. You cannot possibly include all words.

@AdamsEve1231 and @mastressalita and anyone else who has other strange or unusual words come to mind with this months theme. Feel free to include them in your stories as well as any from the list. :) The more words the merrier! (As long as you stay under the word limit :tongue: )
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Yay thank you for answering @Carewren123 ! I am now quite excited for my story this month.... If I can pull it off!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Hopefully the new voting instruction are clear and easy. But as always let me know if you have any questions. :)

I love not having the extra agony of having to rank the entries and just picking three instead... but don't really like that there will only be one winner instead of three at the end of the month. The stories are always so good that having less winners somehow makes me a bit sadface.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
  • Options
    Oh no, there's only gonna be one winner now? :( I thought it was still gonna be the top three...
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options

I love not having the extra agony of having to rank the entries and just picking three instead... but don't really like that there will only be one winner instead of three at the end of the month. The stories are always so good that having less winners somehow makes me a bit sadface.
    Oh no, there's only gonna be one winner now? :( I thought it was still gonna be the top three...

Oh no, there will still be three place winners as always. Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to keep the instructions short, but I guess I should say "The stories with the most votes will be the winners."
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Ah, the original instructions just said story so I thought it had been changed to one winner. Thanks for the clarification! That is magical then, much less stressful than sitting there staring at the screen trying to figure out ranking order!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    I really like the idea of just picking out top three. It'll make it a little easier...only a little. :s
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options

Ditto!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member
    Time for me to get sappy. I've read all of the stories and I voted. They were all so good and as I kept narrowing down I was left with four and felt really bad that I couldn't include the four of them.

Side note, the feedback I've gotten from Flowers has really touched me. All of your lovely comments mean so much to me. As soon as I saw the May theme the thought just jumped at me and I'm so relieved that so many of you guys enjoyed it.

I really loved this theme for May because it was so amazing to see how it was interpreted. I've only been participating since February, but it's fun to see the more serious toned stories versus the comedic ones and who usually gravitates towards what. I just love how creative y'all are in that this theme went so many different ways. This has certainly been my favorite month for stories. I'm giving you all virtual hugs because I really really enjoyed the entries this month and just how positive and supportive everyone is when it comes to everyone else's writing and such.

Alright, I'll take the sappy pants off now. <3
  • Options
    To make up for not submitting a story since February (and because I am absolutely insane...)

Queen Bee
    4tIGbJs.png
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    You're already done?! Wow! You even beat @CeltyGirly. lol
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
    CeltyGirly wrote: »
    ... I've read all of the stories and I voted. They were all so good and as I kept narrowing down I was left with four and felt really bad that I couldn't include the four of them.

The same here. After violent culling I'm left with four stories. Now I have to cut off one more. 64.png
    Oh zagadoo! 64.png
  • Options
    chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
    Btw, I really love June's Theme! I'm not sure whether I'll be able to take part - lack of time! - but Balderdash sounds wonderful! 64.png
    @Carewren123 You're fantastic at thinking of Challenge Themes! 64.png
  • Options
    WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member

haha! I do write really early. I started designing the characters for June's story last night :3 I'm pretty sure I'm going with the word "necromancy"

• Options
    CeltyGirly wrote: »

haha! I do write really early. I started designing the characters for June's story last night :3 I'm pretty sure I'm going with the word "necromancy"

Because I'm curious, how do you go about designing your characters?
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories