Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    So, I'm diving into Ironbound right now. Great story! Were we talking about setting before? So, first of all, I love what you've done with this, @Munterbacon :smiley: Your mods, the cc, everything creates such a wonderfully stunning world! When I read this, I feel like I'm reading a comic book or something--not The Sims fan fiction. That's a good thing and I'm sure that's what you wanted. But, as I'm reading, I'm going through this very intense internal battle. I'm trying to get sucked into this, but there is a part of my brain that won't allow me to do it. Like, I'm reading, and I can feel myself getting immersed, but then the princess makes a face and I'm like, "Hey! My Sims make that face!" lol, it's the silliest thing, but it keeps pulling me out of your wonderful world! Has anyone ever experience this (or anything like it) when reading Sims stories?

I've not had it with Ironbound yet. But there are times in other stories where I go "Hey, that's Michel's outfit. Why are you wearing that?" And it does pull you out a bit. I think with Ironbound it's a little more painful since normally the world is so different.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    Just caught up with F.I.S.H. What a realistic storyline for someone beginning the Secret Agent career in The Sims! I enjoyed how @Jes2G wrote it, I can really feel the struggle of being parents in a household with a sparse income, but living in a household so full of love. Hoping things work out well with River's job and his family! :)
  • Options
    moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    Freedom family had an update over on my wordpress! Chapter 24, Pregnancy is like a bottle of ketchup.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited July 2015
    I just caught up with the Freedom legacy and it's awesome :) Jon is still such a plum though, poor Sunny. I can't believe Penelope would blame her for this. Its all Jons fault!

You really put a lot of effort into your characters :) I really wanna know why Penny wont let Jon leave though
  • Options
    JulyaVee wrote: »
    I just caught up with the Freedom legacy and it's awesome :) Jon is still such a plum though, poor Sunny. I can't believe Penelope would blame her for this. Its all Jons fault!

You really put a lot of effort into your characters :) I really wanna know why Penny wont let Jon leave though

The way I see it is, this girl has known nothing else yknow? They had a baby together when she was 15, got married a few years later and this just what she knows of life, she doesn't know how to live without him. It's Stockholm syndrome, but obviously he didn't kidnap her.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    I just caught up on Ironbound and this story is seriously awesome :) Just wow, there is so much work in it.
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited July 2015

The way I see it is, this girl has known nothing else yknow? They had a baby together when she was 15, got married a few years later and this just what she knows of life, she doesn't know how to live without him. It's Stockholm syndrome, but obviously he didn't kidnap her.

Caught up with @BabyDollAnne 's story today, it's the perfect kind to binge on! I do feel for all of the ladies in this one, there better be some serious karma coming Jon's way!
  • Options
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

Caught up with @BabyDollAnne 's story today, it's the perfect kind to binge on! I do feel for all of the ladies in this one, there better be some serious karma coming Jon's way!

Ohh girl I wish I could say there is, but not yet. More to come, more drama and more Jon sucks-ness, THEN Karma. When the twins are a little older. xD
  • Options
    I thought I wouldn't be able to read this within the allotted week, but I covered Ironbound as well. I feel so exhausted from that binge-read! It's like I was travelling through all these events myself. @Munterbacon, good job on creating such a vivid and detailed story for that universe. :)
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    I thought I wouldn't be able to read this within the allotted week, but I covered Ironbound as well. I feel so exhausted from that binge-read! It's like I was travelling through all these events myself. @Munterbacon, good job on creating such a vivid and detailed story for that universe. :)

You read a lot there, I'm not surprised! :p

Thank you for reading it, and giving me such wonderful feedback =)

dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS DRAMATIC.
    Warning for adult themes and language
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Oh! Hey, everyone! I just noticed that tomorrow we switch to our Week 2 readings, which you can find listed on the first page.

So let's finish up reading this week's amazing works, and share all our comments.

(Of course, just because we move to a new set of readings, that doesn't mean we can' talk about previous weeks' readings anymore--it just means .... I don't know what it means. Must mean something!)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Oh! Hey, everyone! I just noticed that tomorrow we switch to our Week 2 readings, which you can find listed on the first page.

So let's finish up reading this week's amazing works, and share all our comments.

(Of course, just because we move to a new set of readings, that doesn't mean we can' talk about previous weeks' readings anymore--it just means .... I don't know what it means. Must mean something!)

Means more stuff to talk about.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Ugh! I'm such a terribly slow reader. I'm never gonna have all the "required" readings done each week.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options

You read a lot there, I'm not surprised! :p

Thank you for reading it, and giving me such wonderful feedback =)

It was so hard to stop reading! Aw, you're absolutely welcome! Thanks for being so kind.
  • Options
    Ugh! I'm such a terribly slow reader. I'm never gonna have all the "required" readings done each week.

It's just for fun! Nothing's required but having fun!

I loved your comments about immersion, Sims, and Ironbound, by the way. I've been thinking about them for a few days. I'm not quite ready to reply with my comments, but I found yours really interesting!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Yup! What I like about this Book Club is that it's so free and easy - read a story, or two if you'd like, maybe four! And we can all discuss them together.

So much more fun as compared to university tutorial classes, where you HAVE to read stuff to keep up - here anyone can join in no matter how much they've read! :)
  • Options
    so guuuuys.. being cheeky before my chance is over, what did you think of my series so far? It's my first and i'm super excited about getting/reading your guys feedback :3 (literally screenshot every comment about mine)
  • Options
    so guuuuys.. being cheeky before my chance is over, what did you think of my series so far? It's my first and i'm super excited about getting/reading your guys feedback :3 (literally screenshot every comment about mine)

I love your story, Anne. Here are a few of the things I especially love about it:

1. The pacing. Your chapters are short--which, given the emotional impact of your story, is really effective! If they were longer, then the emotional impact wouldn't be so immediate, I feel. The shorter length also really helps us to be able to fill in details. Another part of the pacing you handle exceptionally well is moving your story right along. You don't waste words or draw things out with summary--you just present what happens and this keeps our interest. Along with this, I also really enjoy your use of the present tense.
    2. You've got great characters and you're not afraid to explore all aspects of them. Your characters are round and fully developed.

I'll be looking forward to continuing to read this! :)

• Options

I love your story, Anne. Here are a few of the things I especially love about it:

1. The pacing. Your chapters are short--which, given the emotional impact of your story, is really effective! If they were longer, then the emotional impact wouldn't be so immediate, I feel. The shorter length also really helps us to be able to fill in details. Another part of the pacing you handle exceptionally well is moving your story right along. You don't waste words or draw things out with summary--you just present what happens and this keeps our interest. Along with this, I also really enjoy your use of the present tense.
    2. You've got great characters and you're not afraid to explore all aspects of them. Your characters are round and fully developed.

You have no idea how much your kind review means to me, youwere one of the people I'd really idolised as a future "I want to write as well as her!" And im just all tomato faced squealing in the corner because people say nice things about my writing
  • Options

You have no idea how much your kind review means to me, youwere one of the people I'd really idolised as a future "I want to write as well as her!" And im just all tomato faced squealing in the corner because people say nice things about my writing

Aw! You're sweet! Thank you! You write well, and you've got a great story!

• Options
    So, I'm diving into Ironbound right now. Great story! Were we talking about setting before? So, first of all, I love what you've done with this, @Munterbacon :smiley: Your mods, the cc, everything creates such a wonderfully stunning world! When I read this, I feel like I'm reading a comic book or something--not The Sims fan fiction. That's a good thing and I'm sure that's what you wanted. But, as I'm reading, I'm going through this very intense internal battle. I'm trying to get sucked into this, but there is a part of my brain that won't allow me to do it. Like, I'm reading, and I can feel myself getting immersed, but then the princess makes a face and I'm like, "Hey! My Sims make that face!" lol, it's the silliest thing, but it keeps pulling me out of your wonderful world! Has anyone ever experience this (or anything like it) when reading Sims stories?

For some reason, this doesn't happen to me with this story. I think it's in part because the screenshots are so highly edited and also the proportions are shifted--I get to a point where I don't see them as Sims. Also, I read this on my nook which has a small display--so I can't see a lot of the details as largely. It's impressionistic. I did wonder how Munter got the pole dancer to do those moves, though!

Where it does happen for me is with Willow's Way. I think that this is because @DavidMcSessy 's characters are so well-developed for me that I have stopped seeing them as Sims. They are people in my mind. And so when they do something "Simish" I get popped out of my immersion for a second. "Huh? Colleen's a Sim?" Like that. Once Marty shared with me a video of the actors taking a break on the set--and I was so surprised to hear them talking Simlish! They really are Sims!

It sometimes happens to me with Pruetts, Jes.

This is a testimony to the strength of your writing and your characters--you're able to pull us so completely into your world and develop your characters so well that they become fully realized to us.

• Options
    DavidMCSessyDavidMCSessy Posts: 1,148 Member

For some reason, this doesn't happen to me with this story. I think it's in part because the screenshots are so highly edited and also the proportions are shifted--I get to a point where I don't see them as Sims. Also, I read this on my nook which has a small display--so I can't see a lot of the details as largely. It's impressionistic. I did wonder how Munter got the pole dancer to do those moves, though!

Where it does happen for me is with Willow's Way. I think that this is because @DavidMcSessy 's characters are so well-developed for me that I have stopped seeing them as Sims. They are people in my mind. And so when they do something "Simish" I get popped out of my immersion for a second. "Huh? Colleen's a Sim?" Like that. Once Marty shared with me a video of the actors taking a break on the set--and I was so surprised to hear them talking Simlish! They really are Sims!

This is a testimony to the strength of your writing and your characters--you're able to pull us so completely into your world and develop your characters so well that they become fully realized to us.

Lol, lol!

5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member

That's so funny because this has never happened to me with Willow's Way and stories like it. Maybe because Sims are supposed to be people-like, and that makes it relatable to me and easy to forget about them being "Simish." Whereas, with the fantasy genre, they're not people at all, so it's not familiar to me and easier to spot the Simishness (this new term is totally a thing now! lol). Maybe that's what it is for me! This is actually the first fantasy Sims story I've ever read. I think it takes so much more creativity to do stories like these because you not only have to create compelling characters, but entire worlds! I'm not brave enough to try anything like this lol.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options

That's so funny because this has never happened to me with Willow's Way and stories like it. Maybe because Sims are supposed to be people-like, and that makes it relatable to me and easy to forget about them being "Simish." Whereas, with the fantasy genre, they're not people at all, so it's not familiar to me and easier to spot the Simishness (this new term is totally a thing now! lol). Maybe that's what it is for me! This is actually the first fantasy Sims story I've ever read. I think it takes so much more creativity to do stories like these because you not only have to create compelling characters, but entire worlds! I'm not brave enough to try anything like this lol.

Pruetts in Space? UnderPruett Forest? Beneath the Pruett Mushrooms? Through the Pruett Glass?