Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm not sure I understand autonomy

Comments

• Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    Well, I've learned that, chances are, if left to their own devices, Sims probably won't die, even in a modest home. I even had fires in both homes, but I had sprinklers and alarms, so even though it made things ugly, no long-term harm came to the Sims themselves. That's good news.

For me, the biggest surprise was that several Sims autonomously picked up Logic. On their own initiative, they sat at the Chess table. My biggest disappointment was how many times they were Uncomfortable. It was even worse than I was anticipating. The Happy to Uncomfortable ration is way off, in my opinion. It makes ME uncomfortable and it's one of the main reasons I stay away from multi-Sim households.

I don't necessarily want them to be deliriously giddy all the time, but I wish they'd be more proactive in avoiding Uncomfortable. I also wish they could call a repair person -- it's not right that the only one who can do repairs is the active Sim.

Questions? Comments?
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Well, I've learned that, chances are, if left to their own devices, Sims probably won't die, even in a modest home. I even had fires in both homes, but I had sprinklers and alarms, so even though it made things ugly, no long-term harm came to the Sims themselves. That's good news.

For me, the biggest surprise was that several Sims autonomously picked up Logic. On their own initiative, they sat at the Chess table. My biggest disappointment was how many times they were Uncomfortable. It was even worse than I was anticipating. The Happy to Uncomfortable ration is way off, in my opinion. It makes ME uncomfortable and it's one of the main reasons I stay away from multi-Sim households.

I don't necessarily want them to be deliriously giddy all the time, but I wish they'd be more proactive in avoiding Uncomfortable. I also wish they could call a repair person -- it's not right that the only one who can do repairs is the active Sim.

Questions? Comments?

The repairman is the one npc I miss above all others. With the fires: did they take care of those on their own?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    @Kremesch73, they sorta took care of the fires. I think the sprinklers did most of the work. In the Budget house, 2 Sims whipped out fire extinguishers while several others... observed. In the Expensive House, 2 observed, 1 continued eating breakfast on the other side of the counter and the others ran outside to the sidewalk.

If I recall, however, everyone got credit for Witness Fire, even if they just ran past it.
  • Options
    @Kremesch73, they sorta took care of the fires. I think the sprinklers did most of the work. In the Budget house, 2 Sims whipped out fire extinguishers while several others... observed. In the Expensive House, 2 observed, 1 continued eating breakfast on the other side of the counter and the others ran outside to the sidewalk.

If I recall, however, everyone got credit for Witness Fire, even if they just ran past it.

Interesting. Sounds like they're making more effort to make sims react to situations. I like the sound of that.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    Thank you for sharing, this was really interesting! :smile: To me it was surprising they wouldn't clean, because in my boarding school they clean about daily on their own iniative. But now that training and habits have been mentioned, I think it must be because of that. I'm amazed how well your test sims did at work!
  • Options
    Here we go -- images from the Budget House.

Exterior (Is it obvious I didn't spend too much time/money on the looks of the place :D?)
    Q9ErxqCm.png

First Floor
    M5HuYX0m.png

Second Floor
    7qyyduDm.png

Asleep at the PC
    g3ivXlVm.png?1

Asleep on the Loveseat
    vqjhmLpm.png?1

Well, if she can do it, so can I!
    A19wYKnm.png?1
  • Options
    And here are photos from the Experimental House.

Exterior
    1KyiL85m.png

First Floor
    5Tq8kuOl.png

First Floor (different view)
    8UuKmkwl.png

Second Floor
    Ih2qlSNl.png

Basement (the only time they ever went down here is to stand and watch TV when the first floor TV broke)
    JWcXkLAl.png

Typical kids, always checking that phone...
    Yx7Etv4l.png
  • Options
    Those poor sims. They have nothing to do but text and snooze on the sofas. :)
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing, this was really interesting! :smile: To me it was surprising they wouldn't clean, because in my boarding school they clean about daily on their own iniative. But now that training and habits have been mentioned, I think it must be because of that. I'm amazed how well your test sims did at work!
    Thanks! I was surprised by that, too, given that I don't think ANYONE was in the proper mood when they went off to work (I'm willing to bet, they were all Uncomfortable :)). And no one ever did the Daily Requirements. Makes me wonder if those things really, truly matter.

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited June 2015
    @SimPoseyYum a better test for ai is buy the most cheap oven and don't have the springers(the anti-fire alarm), you can test better your sims, to survive, using the most cheap and having sims with 0 cooking is the most easy way to see the house get fire when have many sims.

what is weird is which according your test even when the sims get the buff of "see the fire" he can still "ignore it"(the mood).

the uncomfortable is very undesrtandable since really a very crownded house can lead to many dirt dishes be left behind.

what is more weird is which even having 3 neat sims you still get sims being "lazy" and don't cleanup or ignoring they traits, what is more hard to happen in sims 3 i see a lot of neats aways trying to clean everything and even sims without that trait normally try to clean(they don't make the beds but clean the dirt), really sims 4 AI still a lot of tweaks and changes to be at last reasonable.

@kremesch73 that is when enter "different player styles, i would prefer see my sims doing all i described and only when i feel is needed like make then flirt or others actions which are not part of they "every day" than have to make then need too much of me, or at last like in sims 3 i want my npcs being totally indepent of me and can live for themselfs and only when i feel is needed for something i can change something and they can adpt to that, like i want a sim die then this will affect they lifes forever for bad or for good.

i really want to see sims which really live for they personality, like a evil sim can laught over deaths of peoples they don't like or just barelly know, or means sims try to pick fights and mock others sims, i want my good sims trying to help others sims and things like that which can inspire me do something, not just sims which can "do the basic" to not die and be "empty most of the times in the sense of don't live for they personality, otherwise is pointless a sim have personality and the AI don't live for it.

that is what i hope for sims 5 and also a improved option where we can really choose the level of AI like:
    off - the basic sims standing and waitingr for orders from the player of when a need kick they act
    low - they do the basic need and some basic actions like watch tv or play games if you want they act more you must boss
    medium - you can teach then a basic order of actions - like what to do after awaken, they will try to do more things by themselfs(like what we have in sims 4)
    high - a strong ai where sims can make most of the choices by themselfs(where to go or different set of cloths) and can adpt fast when you try to change they lifes( like if i kill a sims from a couple i can make him just fast forget the person with a new love or him based on how much loved never find a new love and keep crying forever for the lost)
    ultra - the sims can even "disobey you(what was supposed to be in sims 3 if i'm not wrong, also they have something about the sim have a chance of not accept the order if this goes against his nature), based on his traits he can full live alone and take all decisions(find a love, have childs maybe break, forget or never forget, make enemies) while i can just watch and help a little as long i don't make things which he could not like, could be fun making him anger whenever i try to make him does something he don't want.

that could be perfect, because could match basically all the sort of player styles.

but probably this is a pipe dream since maxis skills programms until now not showed being something to be "on par" with others top game develop teams and we need suffer from "choices" since they can't do anything and are very limited.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member

Questions? Comments?

I think the reason why they were always uncomfortable is because there's 3 neat sims. I have one neat sim and he's always uncomfortable even if there's only one dirty dish laying around. Perhaps if the house had more decorations, they might get a happy moodlet that could push the uncomfortable moodlet aside.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    I think the reason why they were always uncomfortable is because there's 3 neat sims. I have one neat sim and he's always uncomfortable even if there's only one dirty dish laying around. Perhaps if the house had more decorations, they might get a happy moodlet that could push the uncomfortable moodlet aside.

I think that's the reason too, but I think I may still be in S2 brain-mode. Neat sims should automatically clean without having to learn. They're neat for Pete's sake.
  • Options
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    @SimPoseyYum a better test for ai is buy the most cheap oven and don't have the springers(the anti-fire alarm), you can test better your sims, to survive, using the most cheap and having sims with 0 cooking is the most easy way to see the house get fire when have many sims.

what is weird is which according your test even when the sims get the buff of "see the fire" he can still "ignore it"(the mood).

the uncomfortable is very undesrtandable since really a very crownded house can lead to many dirt dishes be left behind.

what is more weird is which even having 3 neat sims you still get sims being "lazy" and don't cleanup or ignoring they traits, what is more hard to happen in sims 3 i see a lot of neats aways trying to clean everything and even sims without that trait normally try to clean(they don't make the beds but clean the dirt), really sims 4 AI still a lot of tweaks and changes to be at last reasonable.
    I used the cheapest stove, but didn't wanted to have the sprinklers, in case the house caught fire on Day 1. In other games I've played, a fiery Sim usually ends up being a dead Sim, haha.

I think my cooking mistake was to have various Sims make group salads on Day 1. Sure, that meant 4-5 Sims had a point in cooking, but with that 30-40 salads in the refrigerator, no one really *needed* to cook much. And a week isn't long enough for all the salads to turn to garbage. Plus, I think Sims eat a lot of meals at work. If I were to do this again, I wouldn't have had them make group meals. Perhaps I would just have them watch a bit of Cooking TV.

And yes, I remember my Sims 3 neat Sims cleaning like it was their job haha.

• Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I think that's the reason too, but I think I may still be in S2 brain-mode. Neat sims should automatically clean without having to learn. They're neat for Pete's sake.

My neat sim does clean the dishes but sometimes it's the other non-neat sims that leave the dishes around. But it really depends. Sometimes I'm controlling my neat sim and telling him to do other things but then the dishes get stinky in time, and then he will get the uncomfortable moodlet. XD
    I'm not too sure about what the OP's sims were doing autonomously tho cuz most times when my sims don't have anything to do, they will clean the dishes automatically before they start to smell.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Ellessarr wrote: »

I used the cheapest stove, but didn't wanted to have the sprinklers, in case the house caught fire on Day 1. In other games I've played, a fiery Sim usually ends up being a dead Sim, haha.

I think my cooking mistake was to have various Sims make group salads on Day 1. Sure, that meant 4-5 Sims had a point in cooking, but with that 30-40 salads in the refrigerator, no one really *needed* to cook much. And a week isn't long enough for all the salads to turn to garbage. Plus, I think Sims eat a lot of meals at work. If I were to do this again, I wouldn't have had them make group meals. Perhaps I would just have them watch a bit of Cooking TV.

And yes, I remember my Sims 3 neat Sims cleaning like it was their job haha.
    yeah i started to use sprinks for that reason in the beginner because make fire in the cheapest oven is too easy speciall if all the sims don't have any cooking skill poin i aways ended with troubles that why i stopped to buy the cheap one and aways buy one at last a little better.

indeed about cooking when try again test don't give then any food really leave to then to full take care, but still a little weird because the sims love to "cheat" eating the "free food" like milk and cerals, i have a lot of that sims instead of cooking, getting the cheap free food for themselfs.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Questions? Comments?

It wasn't just the neat Sims that were miserable. They were ALL miserable :(. Here are their individual Uncomfortable scores:

Experimental Angie, 123. Budget Angie, 141 (if I recall correctly, Angie is Neat) (edit: confirmed)
    Experimental Brooke, 87. Budget Brooke, 93
    Experimental Kenji, 70. Budget Kenji, 113
    Experimental Brianna, 126. Budget Brianna, 165 (if I recall correctly, Brianna is Neat) (edit: confirmed)
    Experimental Elliott, 63. Budget Elliott, 90
    Experimental Savannah, 66. Budget Savannah, 78
    Experimental Randall, 87. Budget Randall, 81
    Experimental Phoenix, 91. Budget Phoenix, 145 (if I recall corrctly, Phoenix is Neat) (edit: confirmed)

So, yes, the Neat Sims were more Uncomfortable than the others, but they were all pretty miserable. And, that doesn't explain why they allowed the house to become overrun with dishes. There were garbage dishes on virtually every flat surface in both houses.

As far as decorations, I avoided them because I didn't want any outside influences over moods. No aura decorations, no plum lights, nothing. Although I did do floor and wall coverings. I was trying to test plain, unadulterated moods, but I'm not totally heartless :).

ETA: I double-checked. Angie, Brianna and Phoenix are, indeed, the Neat Sims.

Post edited by SimPoseyYum on
  • Options
    My neat sim does clean the dishes but sometimes it's the other non-neat sims that leave the dishes around. But it really depends. Sometimes I'm controlling my neat sim and telling him to do other things but then the dishes get stinky in time, and then he will get the uncomfortable moodlet. XD
    I'm not too sure about what the OP's sims were doing autonomously tho cuz most times when my sims don't have anything to do, they will clean the dishes automatically before they start to smell.

I have a few, but like most things, they didn't clean right off the bat. I had to order them to do it the first few times. Then they went the right path after being directed a few times.

This is actually another long-standing issue in the Sims. I expect a neat sim to be exactly what they are from the get-go. Since S1, they were done really well. They'd clean windows on their own (S2), make their beds (S1 & 2), wash their hands (S1), etc. S2 completely obliterated them washing their hands though, and that always bothered me. But now we're in S4, and when I make a slob, they still wash their hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy they finally brought that back. But there's no rhyme or reason to it. Slobs even clean up their dishes from time to time (like they did in S2). This last part really bothers me because they're not neat. And neat sims will sit at the table for long periods of time with an uncomfortable moodlet instead of actually getting up to clean. This also bothers me.

Yet, when a neat sim visits the home I'm playing, they won't hesitate to clean out the fridge. In fact, they don't even need to be a neat sim to do it.

On the other hand, the only sims that will automatically paint at a house their visiting is a sim that's been directed to do it while played.

This is what I mean by it not making much sense, if that makes any sense.

• Options

I have a few, but like most things, they didn't clean right off the bat. I had to order them to do it the first few times. Then they went the right path after being directed a few times.

This is actually another long-standing issue in the Sims. I expect a neat sim to be exactly what they are from the get-go. Since S1, they were done really well. They'd clean windows on their own (S2), make their beds (S1 & 2), wash their hands (S1), etc. S2 completely obliterated them washing their hands though, and that always bothered me. But now we're in S4, and when I make a slob, they still wash their hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy they finally brought that back. But there's no rhyme or reason to it. Slobs even clean up their dishes from time to time (like they did in S2). This last part really bothers me because they're not neat. And neat sims will sit at the table for long periods of time with an uncomfortable moodlet instead of actually getting up to clean. This also bothers me.

Yet, when a neat sim visits the home I'm playing, they won't hesitate to clean out the fridge. In fact, they don't even need to be a neat sim to do it.

On the other hand, the only sims that will automatically paint at a house their visiting is a sim that's been directed to do it while played.

Makes perfect sense.

• Options

Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if the neat sim trait has a glitch or not worked on properly. :\
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if the neat sim trait has a glitch or not worked on properly. :\

To be honest, I don't think any of them have been worked on properly since S1. I'm not an S1 advocate, even though I enjoyed it and still play it from time to time. But I've been noticing discrepancies in expected behaviour since S2. It's only been getting worse since then.

I can only account it toward games being more rushed than they once used to be.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm.

In my main family the kid always sits down to do her homework the first thing she does after coming home from school. In fact, she doesn't come home instantly but rather sits on a bench right where she spawned after school ended and then she comes home. The mother goes up and makes a cup of green tea the first thing when she wakes up every morning. I have never had a bladder failure or collaps from little sleep...
    Heh then either you're lucky or I'm unlucky. As I mentioned, the Autonomy Crew experienced a bladder failure in the Experimental (expensive) House. They also experienced failure in the Budget House. How long have you left your Sims to their own devices with absolutely no intervention from you?
    ...I think that if you really want to see how it works you would have to make an comparison with fully trained sims. Sims that have developed habits after being directed to do a certain thing for a while.
    That's an interesting point to consider. Perhaps that should be my next test. How long do you think I should train a Sim? I don't think I have the patience to train 8 Sims for any length of time, but I could perhaps do one or two. Supposedly, it takes a human 21 days to ingrain a habit. Do you think 3 sim-weeks would be enough to establish Sim habits?

Ohh. I was just thinking out loud :smile: I have no idea how long it takes for a sim to develop habits, that they use to do the same thing when they wake up or come home from work. Give it a try if you think that it would be fun!
  • Options
    Ohh. I was just thinking out loud :smile: I have no idea how long it takes for a sim to develop habits, that they use to do the same thing when they wake up or come home from work. Give it a try if you think that it would be fun!

From what I observed in the beginning, training a sim to relate to their traits doesn't take too long, but they still need to be trained. Training a sim to things that don't relate to their traits can take several sim-weeks.
  • Options

From what I observed in the beginning, training a sim to relate to their traits doesn't take too long, but they still need to be trained. Training a sim to things that don't relate to their traits can take several sim-weeks.

I thought I was the only one who trains my sims hoping that it will work. XD Needless to say, some of them still never learn. LOL.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    I thought I was the only one who trains my sims hoping that it will work. XD Needless to say, some of them still never learn. LOL.

Lol. Yeah. This game has turned into a 'train-your-sims' game. There are things they won't do, but I've also noticed sometimes they don't do things because of certain types of furniture. For example, everyone will happily clean the dirty dishes from the table when cheap furniture is in place, but try placing expensive dining chairs at that table. Do you find they are more inclined to pick the plate up and put it back down? Or to completely ignore your command altogether?

How about islands with chairs. Depending on the islands and chairs you use, do you find they are more inclined to eat standing up beside the fridge instead of at the table or the islands?

I've played for over 1,200 hundred hours with rotating households. I've played every scenario imaginable, as well as some challenges that I put my own personal twist on. I've learned that furniture has a huge influence on how willing your sims are to do things.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Lol. Yeah. This game has turned into a 'train-your-sims' game. There are things they won't do, but I've also noticed sometimes they don't do things because of certain types of furniture. For example, everyone will happily clean the dirty dishes from the table when cheap furniture is in place, but try placing expensive dining chairs at that table. Do you find they are more inclined to pick the plate up and put it back down? Or to completely ignore your command altogether?

How about islands with chairs. Depending on the islands and chairs you use, do you find they are more inclined to eat standing up beside the fridge instead of at the table or the islands?

I've played for over 1,200 hundred hours with rotating households. I've played every scenario imaginable, as well as some challenges that I put my own personal twist on. I've learned that furniture has a huge influence on how willing your sims are to do things.

Ah, interesting observation. I have one sim who puts the dishes down every time I ask him to clean them. So I get his room mate to do it, and he could. So, that's one of my sims who will never learn. Can't say if it's about the furniture in my case, since it's in the same house.

I noticed that about the islands and chairs. The don't even seem to like to sit at the islands. So I just bought them a dining table.
    x3vZicL.gif