Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm not sure I understand autonomy

Comments

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    My sims have peed themselves a couple times when I've forgotten to pay attention to them. Honestly, I don't see it as such a big deal. Sure, it can be annoying when my sims choose to eat when they're about to pee themselves. But I don't really expect sims to perfectly take care of themselves when I'm not micro managing them. I mean that would just be boring. Anyway, autonomous play in TS4 is pretty much how it's always been from my experience. In my opinion it's up to the players to make sure the sims needs are taken care of. Autonomous play is just there to ensure that sims are life like and have personalities

that is when come "diferent players style" i would prefer my sims doing things alone while i only act when i feel is needed, i prefer to watch then play and just when i feel i need i will take the decisions or maybe i can try full control but when i'm not watching i wait which they at last can proper take care of themselfs.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Since the topic is not only about peeing, here are some examples of things your Sims won't do autonomously :
    - Changing the stereo station
    - Telling a group story
    - Woohooing/Trying for baby
    - Upgrading items
    - Choosing/Changing career
    - Chat on the phone
    - Collecting
    - Playing a game tournament
    - Traveling
    - Asking on a date
    - Taking PTO

Most of those have a long-term impact or need a player decision (where you go, what to choose, etc).
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    I don't have time to catch up on reading through the thread right now (but thanks for all your responses!). I'll get to it, though. Promise.

Meanwhile, I finished constructing the Experimental House and I think it's pretty comprehensive. There are 4 bedrooms with 8 fairly comfortable beds. There is a fully stocked kitchen with 2 sinks, 2 refrigerators and 2 stoves. Smoke detectors and a sprinkler system are in place. The home has 5 full bathrooms and 1half bath. There are 2 expensive computers, 2 guitars, 2 easels, 2 microphones and a fully equipped gym with treadmills, punching bags and weight machines. There is a chess table, a bar, a video game console, card table, chemistry lab and an outdoor pool. There is a big screen TV, several comfy sofas and several radios, inside and out. The only thing I didn't do was landscaping because that's purely decorative and shouldn't have any bearing on autonomy.

Basically, there is no shortage of things to do, things to skill up on and places to be comfortable and take care of needs.

The Autonomy Crew consists of 8 YA, covering many different aspirations and traits. Three of them are Neat, by the way. Before setting them off on their own, I made sure each Sim had a job and that each had gained at least 1 point in at least 5 different skills. I made sure at least 3 of them had cooking and there are at least 24 already made salads in the refrigerators, so they won't go hungry. I made sure each Sim had at least 1 point in a skill that was directly related to their job and that each had started whatever the requirement was for their jobs. They also have over 1 million Simoleans to cover any expenses (such as if they decide to cook).

With those basics set, I left them to their own devices at (Sim-time) 6:00pm Sunday. They are running on their own, in the background as I write this! I'll check on them periodically throughout the day.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    the problem of motive failure is how this happen, here due to the game mechanic sims can fast switch between actions then we can have changes too fast in sims 3 at last when i play, is hard for a sim cancel a action or if they are making food then cancel it to do another things which in sims 4 happen a lot.

Yes. This is where my issue is, and this is where autonomy doesn't make sense. The sims do what they want more than they do what I want them to. If I turn my back on them, they often stop what I told them to do so they can tend to something else that doesn't need tending to. The autonomy in this game needs tweaking.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

When I read that the Sims are smarter it means they can take care of their needs fine so I don't have to micro manage them if I don't want to. And it means they can maneuver better to around, through, with things better.

I remember reading TS3 would be smarter (I was worried I'd not be needed and it would be boring), they kinda were... so when they said TS4 would be smarter, I don't believe them. They do things The Sims way.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Do people really play with no autonomy? If so, why? I've always played, right from S1, with full autonomy.

The only time I've turned off autonomy is if I'm trying to stage a particular screen shot for a story. For regular gameplay, ALWAYS full autonomy.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Do people really play with no autonomy? If so, why? I've always played, right from S1, with full autonomy.
    I typically play with full autonomy for everyone except the active Sim. I play with autonomy off for the active Sim. Even then, the active Sim will do things autonomously, often ticking me off in the process. Example: I see their energy is red, so I direct them to go to bed. They cancel the action (!!!) and start to do something else, then collapse on the floor. In my opinion, if autonomy for the active Sim is set to OFF, they'd darn well shouldn't do ANYthing I don't explicitly tell them to do.

But they do. *sigh* :).

ETA: For the purposes of the Autonomy Crew, EVERYone is on Full Autonomy. I double-checked.
    Post edited by SimPoseyYum on
  • Options
    My sims have peed themselves a couple times when I've forgotten to pay attention to them. Honestly, I don't see it as such a big deal. Sure, it can be annoying when my sims choose to eat when they're about to pee themselves. But I don't really expect sims to perfectly take care of themselves when I'm not micro managing them. I mean that would just be boring. Anyway, autonomous play in TS4 is pretty much how it's always been from my experience. In my opinion it's up to the players to make sure the sims needs are taken care of. Autonomous play is just there to ensure that sims are life like and have personalities
    And this is a point on which we differ, I suppose. To me, autonomy is there to make sure Sims attend to all their personal needs. It's up to me, the player, to give them life and make them interesting and unique. Personally, it's boring to me to have to tell them, "Go pee". They're adults (most of mine are, anyway). They should have figured this out by now :).

• Options
    edited June 2015
    i had a lot of that, sims peeing a lot and i see a lot of this happening in youtubers, this is really annoying, how they are troublesome to focus in something.

It is no worse in this game than it has been in any of the prior ones.

here is worse because lead to "death by embarrasiment to easy, sims get to easy mortified.

it's still not happened in my game. Like I said, not one single autonomous sim has peed themselves.
    The Autonomy Crew has been on their own for nearly 48 Sim-hours now. So far, there have been 3 bladder failures, according to the stats pages. CORRECTION: I looked at the wrong stat. There was only ONE bladder failure, not three. I'm not saying you're not being truthful because I believe you are. I'm being truthful, too. It's interesting how we have had such different experiences!

Do you run any mods that could affect bladder?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    > @Ellessarr said:
    > i had a lot of that, sims peeing a lot and i see a lot of this happening in youtubers, this is really annoying, how they are troublesome to focus in something.

It's funny these bad things only happen to people to whom it's convenient...
    @Kristoff Bjorgman, can you elaborate please? I'm not sure I understand your comment.

• Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I don't think the actual question involves motive failures. I've only ever had one motive failure happen and that was a pregnant sim who came home from the night shift and passed out in the front yard for some Z's. The question is an attempt to understand autonomy in S4 because it doesn't seem to make much sense.
    This is pretty much what I was trying to explore. The motives and needs failure is just part of it -- it's all encompassed in understanding how autonomy works. What are the priorities? What will Sims do (or not do) on their own?

• Options
    > @fullspiral said:
    > The only time I have ever turned it off was in S3 hunger games when I had to line up the contestants to eat from the jelly bean tree and cue them all up to eat. It's useful in that type of thing, but for regular game play? I don't get it. I like that my sims do what they want. And if the household is bigger, I am glad they look after themselves and tend to their needs.
    >
    > I guess I just don't see the issues that this thread is saying there is. My sims always go to bed when tired ( and to the correct bed, I might add), and they always get food or use the bathroom or shower.

Mine take care of themselves too. I just neither expect or want them to pay bills, for instance. Or be all green, all of the time. That would take away from the fun, if I switched sims and none needed anything at all. I think it works as designed.
    I don't expect them to do the bills, either. Nor do I expect them to be all green all the time. I'd just prefer if they didn't allow themselves to become blood-red in anything. That Uncomfortable mood makes ME uncomfortable! And after Happy, Uncomfortable seems to be the most frequent emotion. I'd rather spend my time (and my Sims' time) doing fun stuff rather than catching up on sleep, showering and peeing.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh, with regard to the bladder failures in the Experimental House... the House has 6 toilets. At the times of the failures, none of the toilets were broken. I even got an Achievement for having a Sim have bladder failure in a house with 5 or more toilets.

Edit: CORRECTION: There was only ONE bladder failure, not multiple failureS.
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    Since the topic is not only about peeing, here are some examples of things your Sims won't do autonomously :
    - Telling a group story
    - Upgrading items
    - Chat on the phone
    - Collecting
    - Traveling
    - Asking on a date
    - Taking PTO

Most of those have a long-term impact or need a player decision (where you go, what to choose, etc).
    Thank you ever so much for this list, @Neia. I think you may have hit some really important points in the last sentence. Personally, I wouldn't want Sims making life-changing decisions without some input from me. And even some things that don't look life-changing on the surface (woohoo) could have long-term impact.

I'll try to keep watch over the Autonomy Crew to see if they do any potentially life-changing activities.

• Options
    mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member
    - Telling a group story
    - Upgrading items
    - Chat on the phone
    - Collecting
    - Traveling
    - Asking on a date
    - Taking PTO

Thank you ever so much for this list, @Neia. I think you may have hit some really important points in the last sentence. Personally, I wouldn't want Sims making life-changing decisions without some input from me. And even some things that don't look life-changing on the surface (woohoo) could have long-term impact.

I'll try to keep watch over the Autonomy Crew to see if they do any potentially life-changing activities.

This is a great thread and I love this experiment you are doing. I actually enjoy just watching my Sims as they live their lives. I'm interested to see if their traits or aspiration make any difference in the activities they choose as well as how well they take care of themselves.
  • Options
    I just realized I can't let them go 100% hands-off. In other words, I can't let the game run in the background while I do other things. I will have to monitor the game even though I can't influence their behavior. For one thing, Chance Cards pop up that must be handled. For those, I will not actually make a "logical" choice. For the purposes of this Challenge (and it sort of is like a Challenge), I will simply select the top option every time, just to dismiss the card.

Also, I'll physically remove paintings from easels, because otherwise, they'll run out of easels and won't be able to paint. I will sell all paintings.

I should note that there are no mood-altering objects in the House. Any mood the Autonomy Crew experience will come from activities only.

Now that The Crew has been let loose for nearly 48 hours, I put a few new skilling objects in the House. I placed 2 violins and a workbench. My purpose is to see whether anyone from The Crew will autonomously interact with new skilling items and thus, build skills I haven't already introduced them to.
  • Options
    mtwtfss71 wrote: »
    - Telling a group story
    - Upgrading items
    - Chat on the phone
    - Collecting
    - Traveling
    - Asking on a date
    - Taking PTO

This is a great thread and I love this experiment you are doing. I actually enjoy just watching my Sims as they live their lives. I'm interested to see if their traits or aspiration make any difference in the activities they choose as well as how well they take care of themselves.

Thanks, @mtwtfss71! I made note of who had what starting traits and what jobs I gave them. The experiment is sort of taking on a life of its own and it's fun! In a nerdy sort of way :).
  • Options
    mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member
    - Telling a group story
    - Upgrading items
    - Chat on the phone
    - Collecting
    - Traveling
    - Asking on a date
    - Taking PTO

Thanks, @mtwtfss71! I made note of who had what starting traits and what jobs I gave them. The experiment is sort of taking on a life of its own and it's fun! In a nerdy sort of way :).

A woman (assuming) after my own geeky heart!
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    Looking forward to see how it goes. I played with my boarding school children again today, but I concentrated on maintaining the relationships with parents and getting their grades up, so they didn't get to be that autonomous. Entering the household is always painful because most of them need to use the toilet and then they all walk to the nearest toilet, one gets in and the queue heads to the second closest and that will repeat until they're all done. The layout of the house is really not good when sims get reseted on the sidewalk... would be better if toilets were in one place.
  • Options
    I just realized I can't let them go 100% hands-off. In other words, I can't let the game run in the background while I do other things. I will have to monitor the game even though I can't influence their behavior. For one thing, Chance Cards pop up that must be handled. For those, I will not actually make a "logical" choice. For the purposes of this Challenge (and it sort of is like a Challenge), I will simply select the top option every time, just to dismiss the card.

Also, I'll physically remove paintings from easels, because otherwise, they'll run out of easels and won't be able to paint. I will sell all paintings.

I should note that there are no mood-altering objects in the House. Any mood the Autonomy Crew experience will come from activities only.

Now that The Crew has been let loose for nearly 48 hours, I put a few new skilling objects in the House. I placed 2 violins and a workbench. My purpose is to see whether anyone from The Crew will autonomously interact with new skilling items and thus, build skills I haven't already introduced them to.
    that is the big problem of sims ai not just sims 4 but is more common in sims 4, sims are terrible at continue works, if something happen to make then drop the paint or drop the cook, they just forget wha they were doing and try to do a new thing, like you can easy end with a kitchen full of unfinished food or have a lot of unfinished easels, because they don't know "how to continue" what they where doing previous or they just "forget", this happen less in sims 3 because is not "easy for then drop a action" than in sims 4, since the fact which in sims 3 they tend to get stuck in the action queue, then the dev make sims 4 more "easy on that' and make sims can drop actions in queue if they are taking too much time(some actions are still hard to be dropped). then this lead to sims just start to stack unfinished things, which is a big trouble, maxis team must add(probably in sims 5) something to make sims when dropping a action if that action is something which can be "resumed later" then they will do that.

like a sim is painting then he get hunger then he goes to fridge autonomous make his food eat then if bladder is low bo to toilet then when finish he "remember which he was painting then finish it, that is what is "logical to do" not drop the paint forget about it then do a new paint which is the huge problem in sims 4, i even was able to see sims in sims 3 resuming some works which they where doing previous but i never see this happening in sims 4, they just start something then if a emotion or a object atraction kick in they drop and forget it what is completly wrong is where we need a much better "memory system" for sims don't forget things in half to do another new things.
  • Options
    Thanks, @ellessarr. That's one reason I'm going to remove the paintings if no one is actively painting. Finished paintings will be removed and sold. Unfinished ones I'll leave for a bit to see if someone comes back, but if they don't, I'll remove those, too. With regard to half cooked meals, I'll leave them for now to see if they turn into garbage. If they turn into garbage, any Sim should, ostensibly, be able to clean up. The nano-can and two sinks are right in the kitchen, so there's no excuse. After nearly 48 hours, the dishes started to pile up. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think you're right -- I'm not holding my breath that any half-finished paintings will be resumed. Out of sight, out of mind, oblivious Sim is on to the next thing.
  • Options
    - Telling a group story
    - Upgrading items
    - Chat on the phone
    - Collecting
    - Traveling
    - Asking on a date
    - Taking PTO

A woman (assuming) after my own geeky heart!
    You assumed correctly :).

• Options
    If anyone would like, I can post up some pics of the House later on.
  • Options
    Thanks, @ellessarr. That's one reason I'm going to remove the paintings if no one is actively painting. Finished paintings will be removed and sold. Unfinished ones I'll leave for a bit to see if someone comes back, but if they don't, I'll remove those, too. With regard to half cooked meals, I'll leave them for now to see if they turn into garbage. If they turn into garbage, any Sim should, ostensibly, be able to clean up. The nano-can and two sinks are right in the kitchen, so there's no excuse. After nearly 48 hours, the dishes started to pile up. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think you're right -- I'm not holding my breath that any half-finished paintings will be resumed. Out of sight, out of mind, oblivious Sim is on to the next thing.

yeah this is a pretty serious trouble which help a lot with the "robot" vibe in sims 4, due to then really lack of "brains" or memory or something which make then act more "realistic" than just ruled(emotions), that was away something really bothered a lot about the AI, how really sims in special in sims 4 are terrible with "memory", with trying to finish unfinished things, they are only able to do things which don't need be continued because it's big flaw in the script program where he don't proper store what the sims are previous doing and resulting in then just "forget about it".
  • Options
    DameGiggsyDameGiggsy Posts: 416 Member
    I always turn it OFF! I'm a micromanager and cannot stand autonomy!