Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    Wow, guys, sorry! I didn't realized those few remarks counted as discussing politics. My bad. I'm really sorry. I hope the thread is not in trouble.
  • Options
    cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    @Maladi777 Ooooh super handsome!!
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Wow, guys, sorry! I didn't realized those few remarks counted as discussing politics. My bad. I'm really sorry. I hope the thread is not in trouble.

its okay.
  • Options
    i've never seen the romance festivel.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

Me, neither! I've seen Geek Con (it's my Sims' fav) and the Flea Market (slim pickings), and that's it! How about you, Sissy?

And did we seriously get a warning for discussing politics? :open_mouth:

I wrote a post today for people (like me) who want their spirits boosted this day, A Kindness Warrior Call to Action, so if you want to discuss politics, you can do so on my blog! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Hi, guys! We've removed a few posts for political content. Please remember that discussing politics is against our forum's rules.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Writers' Lounge!

Thank you, @SimStaffBethelle , for being so kind about this! We'll do our best to follow the rules! Cheers!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Sorry for no update today. RL is very busy. Have this instead:

My Blogaversary is coming!

Congratulations on your Blogaversary! And your plan for it is really exciting-issimo! :)

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited November 2016
    hey guys a question @CathyTea
    if you thought coming of age- would you think legally an adult (ie 18) or would you think of like America's Sweet Sixteen?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Me, neither! I've seen Geek Con (it's my Sims' fav) and the Flea Market (slim pickings), and that's it! How about you, Sissy?

I wrote a post today for people (like me) who want their spirits boosted this day, A Kindness Warrior Call to Action, so if you want to discuss politics, you can do so on my blog! :)

i wasn't here when we got the warning. i was out buying vitamins. but yes we got warned. but i'm glad we didn't get taken down because we would need to set the whole thing up again,
  • Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    Oh, guys, have you ever had thousands of plans and story ideas but like zero time to write? And if so, how do you deal with it? :lol:

(edit because grammar)

YES! Being a full time student and a full time employee eat up a lot of my time. What I tend to do is write down a lot of my ideas in a Google Doc. I date each idea. And then from there I will take the collection of ideas from a month or week and devise a story from it or transfer that over to my bubble diagram. Yes I legit still do those and from there the story evolves. I typically find I have time really early in the morning and on Sundays I make time to type up something to edit later.
  • Options

brandon doesn't have a girlfriend but he has the spice festivel t shirt from the challenge.
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    if you thought coming of age- would you think legally an adult (ie 18) or would you think of like America's Sweet Sixteen?

For me, it's more of a transition to maturity: awakening as a man or woman, and all that entails, claiming an adult's level of awareness and responsibility, and so on. I can conceive of that happening anywhere from age 12 through 25.

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

For me, it's more of a transition to maturity: awakening as a man or woman, and all that entails, claiming an adult's level of awareness and responsibility, and so on. I can conceive of that happening anywhere from age 12 through 25.

I find it a little funny that a lot of people default to thinking about "coming of age" to mean "story about a pre-teen or teenager". You grow a lot then, but you're right with mentioning 25 as the upper limit because you grow plenty in your early 20's too (and that's just from a neurological perspective...socially, we never stop growing :p)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @CathyTea and @InfraGreen so what would a coming of age ceremony mean to you guys something like America's Sweet sixten or something else?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @MadameLee: Maybe this was just my weird experience, but there was little value placed on "sweet 16" celebrations among my peers. It depends on state-specific laws, but some 18 year-olds in Massachusetts would celebrate by getting a scratch ticket or a cigar.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member

GeekCon is my favourite too, the Flea Market was good for my sim who had heaps of Excellent Quality Paintings which she was able to sell and get a decent profit, between 100-200% depending on my mood :)

I don't think that it was anything bad that was being discussed, it's just one of the topics that doesn't take much to heat up.

I saw your post and really liked it. :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options

thats funny it reminds me of something i said to a manager at work. a lot of the young people call off then the same ones beg for hours later.

what i said was when your older you have rent and bills.
  • Options

GeekCon is my favourite too, the Flea Market was good for my sim who had heaps of Excellent Quality Paintings which she was able to sell and get a decent profit, between 100-200% depending on my mood :)

I don't think that it was anything bad that was being discussed, it's just one of the topics that doesn't take much to heat up.

Thanks! I wrote it to cheer me up and remind me of what's important!

Yeah, I know that the conversation was fine here--just against the rules!

That's so cool about being able to sell paintings at the Flea Market! I'll have to keep that in mind for my artist Sims.

I adore San Myshuno! I love everything about it. And it feels like home to me! Even though I'm not a city person, I spent about a third of the Saturdays of my childhood and youth in San Francisco, and it sure feels like SF in the Summer of Love to me! :)

• Options

• Options
    @CathyTea I'm getting the information about the careers in my Disney rotary neighbourhood
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/904764/disney-and-sim-self-households-jobs/p1?new=1
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    @CathyTea and @InfraGreen so what would a coming of age ceremony mean to you guys something like America's Sweet sixten or something else?

Gosh, for me, in my own experience, it wasn't so much a ceremony as an experience or a handful of experiences...

Sweet Sixteen feels a bit like celebrating teendom...

In my experience, and also in the literature I've read, it seems more to be a series of events that signal a transition into a more mature way of being.

You can think about "Coming of Age" stories. One of my favorites is David Kaplan's "Doe Season."
    A young gender nonconforming girl goes on a hunting trip with her dad and his hunting buddies. There's some se.xual inuendo that makes the girl feel awkward. She has a chance to kill a doe, and doesn't. Through this experience, she takes a stand and grows up. (I hope I remembered the story correctly! If not, let me know--did she really shoot the doe? Oh.... I need to find it and reread it!

Another beautiful coming-of-age story, with a very similar theme is Sarah Orne Jewett's "White Heron," which is available online, http://www.public.coe.edu/~theller/soj/awh/heron.htm In this story, a young girl comes face-to-face with the expectations of others and her own ethics--of course, since it's a coming-of-age story, the two are in conflict with each other.
    When she makes the tough decision to stand by her ethics, she "comes of age," and enters into a new phase of being.

Coming-of-age stories sometimes deal with loss of innocence. Sometimes, the deal with tests to one's innocence--and when the protagonist maintains the innocence at great cost, it can still be considered a coming-of-age.

I think that, rather than a ceremony, in literature (and for me, in my experience of life) coming of age happens when one is tested.

In my life, I "came-of-age" after my cat died when I was around 12. I could have become bitter--for it was a needless death caused by additives to Purina cat chow back in the 1970s. And I could have hated everyone and everything. For me, it was a coming-of-age experience for I faced great sadness and loss and came out the other side after having some profound spiritual experiences in the hills near my house. I was changed by the event--the before and after were different, and so that's why I consider that my coming-of-age experience.

• Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member

That's so cool about being able to sell paintings at the Flea Market! I'll have to keep that in mind for my artist Sims.

I adore San Myshuno! I love everything about it. And it feels like home to me! Even though I'm not a city person, I spent about a third of the Saturdays of my childhood and youth in San Francisco, and it sure feels like SF in the Summer of Love to me! :)

Well technically you can sell paintings anywhere if you have the stall in your inventory, but there is a free one at the Flea Market, just gotta beat the Jang's too it! :D

I think you can buy and set up food stalls too, I might try and confirm that tonight.

dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options

i forgot to write.but tonight i might.

I'm going to write a chapter of Shift! Yay! I always feel good after I write.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top