Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Before & After *come share yours!*

Comments

• Options
    SammLiteSammLite Posts: 1,171 Member
    Do you guys use hair brushes? Or is all this amazing work freehand? I highly doubt I'd be able to free hand it, I'm afraid I probably couldnt keep steady lmao
    gif2_zps7841c011.gif
  • Options
    SassyDanaSassyDana Posts: 2,375 Member
    I freehand it, but I have hair brushes. If you have Gimp I know there is an option called "smooth" something in the tool menu that lets you easier guide the brush.
    110zzsw.gif
  • Options
    BeechNutBabyBeechNutBaby Posts: 14,439 Member
    I use hair brushes. I can't draw free hand and don't have a tablet, so I use brushes and the pen tool with my mouse.
    6rj4Q13.png
  • Options
    plumrobertplumrobert Posts: 151 Member
    Nini, I think that came out well! I love the style, too <3

Samm: I use a combination of this brush set that Jillie linked me to and this brush set. I use the hair brush in Jillie's set to form the basic shape of the hair and to add a lot of the later shadows and highlights and I use para-vine's brush set to do the mid-tone work. Then, I use a 1px size hard brush and draw in some highlight-y strands free hand because I think it kind of adds to the hair and also makes it look like it fits on the sim more.

I use a tablet and don't use the pen tool. The pen tool kind of intimidates me a little bit.
  • Options
    ninisims1ninisims1 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Thanks, Dats and Beech! I have a long way to go. I feel that I need longer, smoother strokes to make it flow better. To me, it looks like a psd slapped onto another photo (which it is basically...lol) or a helmet :p
    regHM6o_zpszz2n2zsu.png
  • Options
    plumrobertplumrobert Posts: 151 Member
    Beech: I wish I could figure out the pen tool. I love the style of your hair drawing. Everytime I use it it just ends up looking all crazy. I'm too impatient for it lol.

Before:

onbdxGz.jpg
    PrwU0tW.jpg
    YgjJAdt.jpg
    mQJ5cKN.jpg

After:

mGeNjDX.png
  • Options
    @plumrobert.....just beautiful <3

I am trying the pen tool now---ready to throw my pc out the window xP
    regHM6o_zpszz2n2zsu.png
  • Options
    @plumrobert :: I just can't draw...like at all. I tried a tablet once upon a time, but I don't know what it is about it, I just can't get it to be fluid. I may not have had a good tablet. The truth is I don't understand it once it's plugged, so I might have just given up too easily!

@ninisims1 :: I think it looks less like a helmet than I'd have done lol
    6rj4Q13.png
  • Options

I am really not getting this stroke path thing at all....is it supposed to become a brush you can use or do you keep using the pen tool???
    regHM6o_zpszz2n2zsu.png
  • Options
    Do you use PS? If so, and you're using the pen tool, you create your path first, right click and select "stroke path" make sure the next window's settings are set to brush and the "simulate pressure" box is checked. Then press enter twice and the stroke should be there. Be sure you set up your brush first - so go in get your hair brush, set it to the pixel size you want and get the color you want, then draw your path. I can show you in a few minutes the steps if visuals work better for you.
    6rj4Q13.png
  • Options
    Thanks Beech....I think I just figured it out and--how on earth do you have the patience for this??? Argh, I will be here all night coloring. Maybe I can do brush now and pen later...or a thicker pen. Otherwise, color ME dead...lol
    regHM6o_zpszz2n2zsu.png
  • Options
    lol It does take a long time. I usually use the hair brush to draw the base shape with the darkest color. Then I go and add in the highlights with the pen tool because they come out smoother.
    6rj4Q13.png
  • Options
    That makes sense...been trying Harry's tut and have the base shape but using the palette, too, and there are like 4-5 different colors. Think I will just use the lightest one with the pen tool :)
    regHM6o_zpszz2n2zsu.png
  • Options
    VanadisVanadis Posts: 2,305 Member
    The pen tool took me forever to get the hang of... I kind of gave up on it until I had to use it for school. Then I had to learn it, and I had to learn it fast. O.o I don't use it to draw except for in Illustrator though. I use it in PS to do selections sometimes, but that's about it.
    She says that love is for fools that fall behind
    I'm somewhere between
    I never really know a killer from a savior
  • Options
    I can see why, Vana.....I am so tired after doing this. I only used the pen tool for the top layer of highlights :#
    I am now dead, so bedtime for me.........

After (see before in previous post):
    hair2_zpseytjdut8.png

With filter:
    hair2act_zpsz6cdhpg2.png
    regHM6o_zpszz2n2zsu.png
  • Options
    I played around with some more hair drawing and doing that screenshot thing to make a larger image...

before:
    spring-cherry-tree.jpg
    Best-Wedding-Guest-Dresses-Spring-2013.jpg
    16682623367_8a2ccdd188_k.jpg

after:
    16267573484_608b2986c0_k.jpg
    6rj4Q13.png
  • Options
    datscoolestdatscoolest Posts: 1,014 Member
    plumrobert wrote: »
    Beech: I wish I could figure out the pen tool. I love the style of your hair drawing. Everytime I use it it just ends up looking all crazy. I'm too impatient for it lol.

Before:

onbdxGz.jpg
    PrwU0tW.jpg
    YgjJAdt.jpg
    mQJ5cKN.jpg

After:

mGeNjDX.png

.o. stunning!
    I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they're like:

"what are you doing here?"

and I'm like:

"oh, you know, hunting elephants"

• Options
    wiredhanna67wiredhanna67 Posts: 402 Member
    everyone's Sims are so pretty :-; anyways here's another Sim I got off of the internet xD I think I did a lot better on her.
    Before:
    practice%201_zps0gkhqebs.jpg

After:
    simm_zps7wezkw02.jpg

gLQgzBe.gif
    The voice in your head is just me in your headphones, Everyone knows that we're the devils hero's!
  • Options
    heather1306heather1306 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Wow I can't believe how much everyone is progressing on their hair drawings! And like omg I wish I could draw clothes too!
    I really want to practice today now, but study ugh. I'll try fit time in.
    39508532972_d4ae4b6e81_o.gif
  • Options
    spackichanspackichan Posts: 1,183 Member
    I played around with some more hair drawing and doing that screenshot thing to make a larger image...

before:
    spring-cherry-tree.jpg
    Best-Wedding-Guest-Dresses-Spring-2013.jpg
    16682623367_8a2ccdd188_k.jpg

after:
    16267573484_608b2986c0_k.jpg

I love this beech!
    (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)
  • Options
    cheerio517cheerio517 Posts: 817 Member
    Everyone's hair drawing looks awesome! It looks like we're going through a redhead phase, too. I know Beech doesn't mind that xD. By the way, I love that dress, Beech, I have one just like it and it's my favorite!
    hvv6th.jpg
  • Options
    Mhamilton0911Mhamilton0911 Posts: 2,220 Member
    I LOVE the texture you put on that dress Beech!! So lovely! Everyone's hair drawing is getting sooooo good! I tried again, and did a short style.

before
    16868830046_18363085f4_o.png

after
    16274744293_91721b910e_o.png
  • Options
    JoeJoe11JoeJoe11 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Going to try the split screenshot method next time :)
    c0Ixg8O.png
  • Options
    @Chan: I tried doing a springy background and found some grass brushes....I like the outcome of it. :)

@Maggie: I LOVE that hairstyle!!
    6rj4Q13.png
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me where to get these hairstyles:

W80dmN1.pngcpzGAM1.png2cv9e8A.png5rcKB8h.png
    6rj4Q13.png