Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 six months on...

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2015
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    My first bug was that one of my sims became invisible. My second was that my toddler and mom got stuck learning to talk and there was no way to get them unstuck. I didn't know about resetsim back then. I deleted the toddler thinking that he would reappear by the mailbox like in TS2...nope, gone for good.

But in all of my simming history, those were probably the worst 2 things that happened to me in TS3. Besides sometimes a CTD. But using DEP and all that was the workaround.
    And I think those might have been related to MovingObjects? I had similar complaints, till the very moment I stopped using that cheat in my game.

I only ever use MOO in CAW with building only when necessary. I find that MOO didn't work in Sims like the older games but in most cases, it isn't always needed.

Back in TS1, MOO was used religiously
    I never used CAW but I do use MOO building houses. Always in a seperate save though. When the house is ready I save it to the bin and place it in my actual game. Sometimes I use it to move a sim, but I make sure to save the game before doing that and then close the game without saving after using the cheat.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    My first bug was that one of my sims became invisible. My second was that my toddler and mom got stuck learning to talk and there was no way to get them unstuck. I didn't know about resetsim back then. I deleted the toddler thinking that he would reappear by the mailbox like in TS2...nope, gone for good.

But in all of my simming history, those were probably the worst 2 things that happened to me in TS3. Besides sometimes a CTD. But using DEP and all that was the workaround.
    And I think those might have been related to MovingObjects? I had similar complaints, till the very moment I stopped using that cheat in my game.

No, I don't think so. I don't use moveobjects in TS3 (bad routing). I know that I started my game and my sim was invisible and nothing made her come back. It was a known bug and I think they eventually fixed it. The toddler learning to talk was definitely a known bug and they patched that before Late Night or maybe even World Adventures. I can't remember, but it was early on. --the toddler thing is why they told us about resetsim. Or it was one of the main reasons. I was pretty mad when my toddler disappeared forever. LOL
    I definitely recognize the disappearing sims (and stuck in their beds). Not to be confused with invisible sims in a later stage, those you could make visible again by making them change their clothes. It was a vicious bug and I later linked it to MOO because like I said the problem never came back after I quit using it. But that may have been a coincidence, it happened during the release of LN.

I never had problems with my toddlers fortunately.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    WaterHornetWaterHornet Posts: 352 Member
    gayars wrote: »
    OT @Mistybl95 Yeah, but it has only been a week with Cities Skyline, and it took 2 weeks for simcity to sell 1.1 million didn't it?

Meantime totally agree @WaterHornet

And how many copies of SimCity were returned after Origin implemented the Great Game Guarantee? In my rudimentary calculations Cities: Skylines would have generated over 7 million in total revenue in it's first 25 hours. And that's only if all purchases were for the $29.99 basic version! It's probably well over 15 million in total revenue at this point and climbing. I don't see many people complaining (a few for sure...no one can be completely satisfied) and I haven't seen a single person try to petition for a refund on the game. The moral here, if you actively listen to your consumers and try to work their feedback into a game when it's possible then you CAN have a runaway hit. Skylines, too, was initially developed by 9 people. I mean, seriously, 9 people laid out the foundation and once the natural buzz started it just exploded all over the place and it ramped up from there. SimCity had what, like 30 people working on it or something? The issues really is that Maxis operates in it's own little world that's disconnected from the people putting money in their pocket. It's why most of us long timers, when we first started interacting with SimCity and The Sims 4, were so hurt. We felt alienated and that our feedback and opinions aren't valued. With such little chatter over The Sims 4, a little over 6 months after release, and people seemingly having moved on to other games from other developers the future looks dim. I suspect another SimCity here. A few little expansions or some other such stuff and then it'll be swept under the rug.
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    OT @Mistybl95 Yeah, but it has only been a week with Cities Skyline, and it took 2 weeks for simcity to sell 1.1 million didn't it?

Meantime totally agree @WaterHornet

And how many copies of SimCity were returned after Origin implemented the Great Game Guarantee? In my rudimentary calculations Cities: Skylines would have generated over 7 million in total revenue in it's first 25 hours. And that's only if all purchases were for the $29.99 basic version! It's probably well over 15 million in total revenue at this point and climbing. I don't see many people complaining (a few for sure...no one can be completely satisfied) and I haven't seen a single person try to petition for a refund on the game. The moral here, if you actively listen to your consumers and try to work their feedback into a game when it's possible then you CAN have a runaway hit. Skylines, too, was initially developed by 9 people. I mean, seriously, 9 people laid out the foundation and once the natural buzz started it just exploded all over the place and it ramped up from there. SimCity had what, like 30 people working on it or something? The issues really is that Maxis operates in it's own little world that's disconnected from the people putting money in their pocket. It's why most of us long timers, when we first started interacting with SimCity and The Sims 4, were so hurt. We felt alienated and that our feedback and opinions aren't valued. With such little chatter over The Sims 4, a little over 6 months after release, and people seemingly having moved on to other games from other developers the future looks dim. I suspect another SimCity here. A few little expansions or some other such stuff and then it'll be swept under the rug.

You suspect wrong - Sims is their bread and butter far more than SimCity is.

While SimCity's fall from grace is regrettable, Maxis cannot allow Sims to follow suit. Besides, Cities: Skylines on the table means reclaiming SimCity's crown is probably less lucrative for now and all efforts will be made to double down and get Sims 4 into a better state.

Sweeping this game under the rug makes 0 sense - why would you do that with the one main franchise that keeps Maxis employed? >.>
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    The difference being, it may be Maxis bread and butter, as a subdivision of EA, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't nearly as important to EA as a whole. The ones who may step forward and put in an intense effort to save it might be the gurus, but big question mark how successful that will be. The only thing in our favor is indeed the simcity fiasco. That hanging over their heads might galvanize them into action.

I think the thing that will decide much of the direction of Sims 4, whether they start listening to us, or turn things around, or close their doors at least as far as Sims 4 is concerned will be how this e.p. turns out. It will be a wait and see. If it sells OK, things might drag along, but if it sells really badly, that will be it. I do not think it will be a WOW sales event at any rate.
  • Options
    The difference being, it may be Maxis bread and butter, as a subdivision of EA, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't nearly as important to EA as a whole. The ones who may step forward and put in an intense effort to save it might be the gurus, but big question mark how successful that will be. The only thing in our favor is indeed the simcity fiasco. That hanging over their heads might galvanize them into action.

I think the thing that will decide much of the direction of Sims 4, whether they start listening to us, or turn things around, or close their doors at least as far as Sims 4 is concerned will be how this e.p. turns out. It will be a wait and see. If it sells OK, things might drag along, but if it sells really badly, that will be it. I do not think it will be a WOW sales event at any rate.

That's generally not how EA will operate though - and there's evidence to show that in general, Sims is one of their most lucrative franchises and biggest money makers. Sims 2 did what, 20 mil? Sims 3 about 16 mil? Over the course of it's life cycle? That's insane and plenty of scratch even with sales.

It makes next to no sense for them to throw it in the trash bin and I'd be completely gobsmacked if they went "Eh, fudge it - we'll just shutter Maxis or make them do a completely different game instead" at any point.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    Well let's hope you are right and that instead of closing the franchise they give us a good game instead, either by listening and redoing this one as much as possible, or by going on to Sims 5 and listening there.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Andygal wrote: »
    Sims 4 is already worse for bugginess, and the patches just cause as many bugs as they fix.

If Sims4 was a character in a movie, it would be this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-QBvy3lR8

:o

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2015
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Sims 4 is already worse for bugginess, and the patches just cause as many bugs as they fix.

[snipped awful clip]

UGH :scream: Next time please warn if you post scary stuff. Some of us here are a big fat chickens :bawling:
  • Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    edited March 2015
    Zolt65 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-QBvy3lR8

:o

This is just s-t-oo-p-i-d.
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    I opted not to watch the movie, apparently that was a good choice.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Simulator4 wrote: »

This is just s-t-oo-p-i-d.

Thanks for the insult, appreciate it.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    WaterHornetWaterHornet Posts: 352 Member

Thanks!

We all have to remember that a LOT of what people are asking for to be included in The Sims 4 just can't be supported by the engine. I've even seen people go so far as to say they want the open world back. Talk about wishful thinking. The reality is that a few things can probably be fixed, but what you have now is what you're GOING to have for the lifetime of The Sims 4. Either you accept that fact or...I don't know what else to say. There's plenty of other games to play? The Sims 4 is NOT considered to be the runaway success they were expecting it to be, and it's painfully obvious how little people care about it. Plus the patches are taking a LOT longer to come out and Maxis is decidedly tight lipped these days. This is the official place for them to come and check on the status of the player base and it's starting to look like the SimCity forum. Literally, the last patch was snuck out and all the "Guru" there posted was "Enables you to move online regions to offline play". It couldn't have been more obvious that the game was being dropped like a lead balloon. I know we WANT The Sims 4 to turn around but we have to be realistic here. Is tossing money you're probably not making in sales at a game to fix it for the existing owners a smart business move? No, especially when you know there's not going to be a return on that investment. And AGAIN, the GlassBox Engine just can't support 3/4 of what most people are asking for. What you have is what you're going to have until they decide to either dump the IP or make The Sims 5, which is looking pretty futile. And sorry for only quoting you gayars, I'm just too tired and lazy to break this post up between you and @Crackseed
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Clarkie100 wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Miki wrote: »
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    So basically they downgraded the game to cater to lower-end PCs... and now it's getting worse? Wow, EA, that's way too much fail.

sadly, we've been dumped by EA for someone much younger (probably not even legal), with less money, and with the attention span of a gnat.

I strongly recommend you edit your post. Your frustration with how the game plays for you is no justification for hurling an unfounded insult at a segment of the population based solely upon their age and their economic status.

. . .Either that or change your avatar. Equal for all, huh?

Sure..

Sensitive, much?

It's not an insult. It's a fact. Most tweens and teens don't have any money of their own. And their attention span is very short...they bounce from fad to fad to fad. Today's fad becomes old news in a short span of time.

I personally don't agree, those types of comments don't add anything to the discussion.

While the advertising appears to aimed at a younger audience, a lot of games are now doing similar adverts. Except perhaps those with a mature rating. Of course it is a big difference from the series earlier advertisements, which were interesting and good fun to watch.

The advertisements however don't stop older sims fans from enjoying the game.
    Do they...? I'm not familiar with the gaming industry, I only play Sims, but any advertisement I see concerning games isn't as childish as the way they are promoting Sims right now. I remember thinking that already when the painful presentation at E3 2014 took place. I really wonder if they are right. Isn't there a market for a game like this aiming at older teens and adults?

Advertising for Sims 1 and 2 wasn't childish at all. For Sims 3 it became kind of ageless and for Sims 4 they've completely changed it into selling it to ten year olds. That's how it sounds to me anyway.
    And yet there is still an older audience the people who mainly purchase the Sims 4 are the ones who have experience with the other games Sims has a name to it's brand it being a very recognizable so no matter how childish the advertisement gets there will always be a big market for this game. I remember when I was in line to collect the Sims 4 on the release day there where like 8 others there mostly female but aged between their 20s and 30s so still quite diverse (except for men on the day).
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Thanks!

We all have to remember that a LOT of what people are asking for to be included in The Sims 4 just can't be supported by the engine. I've even seen people go so far as to say they want the open world back. Talk about wishful thinking. The reality is that a few things can probably be fixed, but what you have now is what you're GOING to have for the lifetime of The Sims 4. Either you accept that fact or...I don't know what else to say. There's plenty of other games to play? The Sims 4 is NOT considered to be the runaway success they were expecting it to be, and it's painfully obvious how little people care about it. Plus the patches are taking a LOT longer to come out and Maxis is decidedly tight lipped these days. This is the official place for them to come and check on the status of the player base and it's starting to look like the SimCity forum. Literally, the last patch was snuck out and all the "Guru" there posted was "Enables you to move online regions to offline play". It couldn't have been more obvious that the game was being dropped like a lead balloon. I know we WANT The Sims 4 to turn around but we have to be realistic here. Is tossing money you're probably not making in sales at a game to fix it for the existing owners a smart business move? No, especially when you know there's not going to be a return on that investment. And AGAIN, the GlassBox Engine just can't support 3/4 of what most people are asking for. What you have is what you're going to have until they decide to either dump the IP or make The Sims 5, which is looking pretty futile. And sorry for only quoting you gayars, I'm just too tired and lazy to break this post up between you and @Crackseed

Possibly one of the best replies that I have ever seen on this forum!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »

And yet there is still an older audience the people who mainly purchase the Sims 4 are the ones who have experience with the other games Sims has a name to it's brand it being a very recognizable so no matter how childish the advertisement gets there will always be a big market for this game. I remember when I was in line to collect the Sims 4 on the release day there where like 8 others there mostly female but aged between their 20s and 30s so still quite diverse (except for men on the day).

*Ahem* yes, but that was six months ago. Just because those women bought the game, that doesn't mean that they're still playing the game. Many of the people who are posting their disappointment over the Sims 4 are those who purchased the game on release day (or in some cases, pre-ordered) are in their 20's and 30's, some even older than that. And six months down the line, those same people are less than thrilled about their investment. It's your opinion that there will always be a big market for this game, but the facts don't lie. This game isn't selling as well as it was expected to sell. Many players are now leery of EA and are less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

So, EA is gambling that its much younger audience will carry the day and bring in the simoleans, while at the same time, appearing unconcerned that they're losing their "older" playerbase...you know...the ones with the disposable income. And the fact of the matter is, as long as there are 3 previous iterations to work for (at least 2 of which are on the market still), and those players own them, they aren't obligated to play the Sims 4. In fact, they can get a much richer experience just from those three iterations alone.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

*Ahem* yes, but that was six months ago. Just because those women bought the game, that doesn't mean that they're still playing the game. Many of the people who are posting their disappointment over the Sims 4 are those who purchased the game on release day (or in some cases, pre-ordered) are in their 20's and 30's, some even older than that. And six months down the line, those same people are less than thrilled about their investment. It's your opinion that there will always be a big market for this game, but the facts don't lie. This game isn't selling as well as it was expected to sell. Many players are now leery of EA and are less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

So, EA is gambling that its much younger audience will carry the day and bring in the simoleans, while at the same time, appearing unconcerned that they're losing their "older" playerbase...you know...the ones with the disposable income. And the fact of the matter is, as long as there are 3 previous iterations to work for (at least 2 of which are on the market still), and those players own them, they aren't obligated to play the Sims 4. In fact, they can get a much richer experience just from those three iterations alone.
    What gets me is that older players are told that they are just stuck on loving old features for nostalgia reasons and that they should accept the Sims 4 catering to a younger crowd and move on. Especially with the cash register not being useable for GTW. I still play the game, but it's really hard to play for long without getting bored. It's like older players are being told to stop playing the Sims 4 and get off forums. I've never seens such rude comments towards other Simmers because of a game before. The Sims 4 I don't think is fun because if it truly was, players wouldn't be angry enough to attack other players that want their gaming experienced enhanced. It's like how are people supposed to be encouraged to play the Sims 4 when the current players are scaring off the old and new players away with petty daily insults? All players are going to think is that the Sims 4 players are nothing but negative people. At least the Sims 3 players were happier despite that game's issues that EA never fixed. People actually enjoyed sharing their gaming experiences with past Sims games. Now it feels like people are so bored with the Sims 4, they have to go on forums to troll to get their entertainment since the game itself is proving lacking to even players that like and don't like the game. In the end, I think everyone is bored with the Sims until a new expansion comes out, then it is back to boredom again. OR didn't even come out that long ago and players are already bored. I guess the Sims 4 is meant for the younger short-term attention span players. Like play it for 10 min to a 1 hour, then spend rest of day with better entertainment on forums.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I'm starting to get that unsettled feeling of "this franchise that I wanted to keep growing and expanding may be coming to an inglorious end and I have to accept that". That feeling where you kinda look back at what you had and what you have and wonder where the end to the franchise is going to be.

I don't like having this feeling very much.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »

I wasn't talking about how bad the Sims 4 is I was talking about the advertisement towards the Sims and saying that no matter how they advertise it the game will always a have a name to it's brand and what's with all these statistics people are talking about I have yet to see one link proving it so can someone give me a link to the sales it would be very helpful.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    The figures are unknown because EA is keeping it hush hush, Sims wasn't their biggest sellers as it stated different games in its quarterly reports (Found on Electronic Arts website). Now if the sells of Sims 4 was so huge why aren't they bragging to their investors? Why are they so quiet to their customers right down to insulting?

And the base game isn't all the income they expect, there is the GPs, Expansions, and Bob only knows what else... The sims was a cash cow and they got tons of money off customers from stuff packs, expansions, and the sims store...

And it about the people/customers that will continue to support the game into GPs, Expansions, and Bob knows what else that matters not the actual sale of the base game.

But then who knows, maybe their met their quota and just don't care what happens after.. Sims 4 doesn't look that expensive to make for a large AAA company...

But it all comes back to that quarterly chart ...And Sims didn't make it in there and the silence.. well it screams not too successful.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @WaterHornet - You do know Sims 4 isn't built with GlassBox right? <.<

@gamekitten - You're a bit wrong on one thing there - EA and other companies have moved away from this "We hit these #s of sales!" type of post/PR babble.

Dragon Age Inquisition did very well and despite that, there are no numbers posted by EA at the moment (unless I missed them) - they tend to go over more of a "Here's what's happening with our games" spiel during their financial conference calls.

I think it's fair to say Sims 4 has had a shakier entry into the market but the lack of numbers doesn't spell doom and gloom either.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited March 2015
    Crackseed wrote: »

@gamekitten - You're a bit wrong on one thing there - EA and other companies have moved away from this "We hit these #s of sales!" type of post/PR babble.

Dragon Age Inquisition did very well and despite that, there are no numbers posted by EA at the moment (unless I missed them)

I think it's fair to say Sims 4 has had a shakier entry into the market but the lack of numbers doesn't spell doom and gloom either.

While exact numbers weren't released, EA did announce that DAI was the most successful launch in Bioware's history. That blew me away, tbh, because that means it beat ME3.

Edit: Source http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/28/dragon-age-inquisition-is-the-most-successful-launch-for-bioware-based-on-sales/

So EA is not being tight lipped on every game.

• Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    >.> They named their most successful, as far as the quarterly report... it is on their website that you can see. Too lazy to go get the link. Sims 4 wasn't mentioned as well as other games that I 'assume' weren't doing so hot.

I take that as a business view. Let's say I run a pet shop that handles mostly dogs and cats.. or puppies and kittens. I as a business woman would not show you the weak babies but show you the cream of the crop.. simple business logic.

I would brag or boast about the cream of the crop to my investors and omit the ones that weren't up to par..

(This is an example just so you know and random picked).

It could be compared to a dress. Store has said style dress for sale.. or few. The one or ones that are flawed are usually put on the discount rack..

Business logic and if I am wrong then EA should show the numbers and not be so hush hush about it.

Been on this planet a far long time ... so from a business prospective it is all telling by their reports and the silence (I was raise with family that had businesses and also went to college and took business among other subjects).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Crackseed wrote: »

Dragon Age Inquisition did very well and despite that, there are no numbers posted by EA at the moment (unless I missed them)

While exact numbers weren't released, EA did announce that DAI was the most successful launch in Bioware's history. That blew me away, tbh, because that means it beat ME3.

Edit: Source http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/28/dragon-age-inquisition-is-the-most-successful-launch-for-bioware-based-on-sales/

So EA is not being tight lipped on every game.

Yes, I did see that - was in the article I looked up to check a couple of things.

So my bad for failing to point that out (and yes, it was surprising but I think the ending drama hurt ME3 a touch on sales which was, IMO, very silly)

The main point I am making however is that there's this shift away from "We sold a bajillion units!" versus a more muted approach. I don't think Sims 4 is shattering records, but neither do I think it's bombing as much as some people here are trying to portray either.

@gamekitten - I respect your opinion of course, but using "I've been around for awhile" and "I was raised in business" is all well and good but unless you or I are there, we're all conjecturing at the end of the day. I DO agree Sims 4 is clearly not blowing doors off, but saying it's failing is equally as daft IMO.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think it sold adequately enough that it is keeping its doors open atm. However, I do believe it has sold no where near what it has in previous iterations. I also think the gurus are worried about their jobs. I think there is a bit of panic there to be honest, no matter what they are portraying to us. I say this, because if the one place closed down, it means they are downsizing. That never makes employees feel safe, no matter where you work. My husband, many long years ago, was one of those who made it through several cuts at work, as they downsized. The final cut got him. There was just a level of stress working where he worked in good old corporate America, that was enough to wear you down.

Just wanted to add, that just because it sold enough initially in the beginning, doesn't mean it will remain in business, because if the discontent in the forums is any indication, they are going to have a hard row to hoe to keep things going with the game and any further expansion packs in the future.