Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 six months on...

Comments

• Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    I suppose I could try to help spearhead that - maybe check with the mods if we can have it stickied and then people who want to help can just track/post as we find stuff out there.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    sallonesallone Posts: 314 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    VertKiller wrote: »
    I want TS4 to fail miserably if it doesn't improve, because if it doesn't fail, they'll repeat the formula or make it even worse in TS5--knowing that, as you've said, Sim fans will buy anything with the franchise title on it. :cry:

Unfortunately it looks like too many are just fine with that. Look at how many are praising the new coming ep even after finding out how limited it really is. To bad I won't be around to say I told you so and you got what you deserved.

The only limitation I noticed was the lack of restaurants (will probably be shoved in a GP :unamused: ) You can sell anything, you can buy anything. And you can follow your sims to work (omg, so Freudian... first I wrote "2 work", then when I went to correct it I wrote "two work"). On mini RPG play, I'm cool with it for the active careers. Linear/Mini Quests/RPG-play belongs in EPs that fans who don't like it can leave out NOT in the Sims base game... and not in every EP... :relaxed:

Edit: wow, it looks like it's my bed time when I'm using the wrong emoticons.

You can't visit the new lots unless you work there and you medicine is ordered via the phone. There are only 4 new lots added :/ aaaand 40 pages of tutorials

Don't all the iterations come with manuals that no one ever reads? TS2 had a gameplay DVD :unamused: I have no idea how the sickness system will work, but I was assuming that like TS2, just resting wouldn't require medication. Also, could you clarify: you can't visit the hospital or jail, or you can't visit the commercial stores and bakeries.

For those who have issues with OFB and restaurants, they came in different game packs, If you think these packs should be combined, boycott (I never bought a single store item, and I relish the idea that the Sims 4 store may never return) I don't mind paying--especially if restaurants come with a down town expansion. The only beef I have with GTW at the moment is no residential businesses. That's annoying. Other than that, sorry... nothing with the previews have turned me off of it yet.

In Sims 4 the manuals have turned into that annoying tutorial that just goes on way too long. Expect your doctor to also have to cure 7 sims, stare at a skeleton 5 times and talk to another doctor 2 times for his promotion.

You can't visit the hospital and jail. The hospital is only available to a sim about to give birth so no check ups either :/

What a plum decision is this not available to visit these career lots....
    Why can't we have check-ups, illnesses on our sims, visiting a friend in jail and all that...
    It wouldn't have been too much to code, but it would've improved the game for everybody far after they've been done with actually playing the active careers.

I mean, even if you're an athlete or an astronaut, and not really digging the doctor career right now, wouldn't it be a very immersive experience to have them sick and ruin a day or two?
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    They do get sick, but apparently you have to order medicine on the computer for them. Which is dumb.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2015
    Andygal wrote: »
    They do get sick, but apparently you have to order medicine on the computer for them. Which is dumb.

I agree -- these kinds of shortcuts really ruin the game for me.

It's not like the EP is adding a hospital venue or anything... /s
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Thanks for the video Zolt65 .... I am landline only also.

But that video, is me or did I see the workers cruising the web in the science lab? Like someone else mentioned putting pjs on the woman wasn't even funny, because she didn't give a hoot. I did like some things like the science outfit, the aliens, and um..can't say much for the doctor or police careers since they didn't show it and we all know EA is famous for staging their trailers..

I just wish the would cut the fun factor in the game with Sims..it is annoying beyond any Sims game I've ever played. The fun meter over rules all other needs.. with social running second. And I saw it in this live demo all over the place.. Really sad shows how intelligent the Sims really are and wasn't this one of the selling points?

About the demo announcement: Nice to know they think because we don't twitter or facebook, we are not important (just shows they are leaning more to the mobile apps type crowd).. I do take it personal since I spent my money with their company and paid just as much as those at Twitter/Facebook maybe more since I got Deluxe and GP...So yeah I take it as a personal insult as a customer and that EA is saying " We don't care about you because you are a forum User and NOT our targeted audience".

6 Months down the lane, this game needs a massive balance overhaul, and the PR needs to remember that forum users are customers no matter how disgruntle they are..incase you don't want our money.. then just say so and be done with it.
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    Yeah, she didn't react to the pajama thing, and nobody reacted when he froze that alien in front of all the other aliens. Another big fat fail for "smarter Sims". And it defeats the point of having the ray gun if nobody reacts to getting ray gunned. That's most of the fun for me with that kind of thing.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I agree -- these kinds of shortcuts really ruin the game for me.

It's not like the EP is adding a hospital venue or anything... /s

I don't want my sims to order medicine :cry: I want them to rest and eat comfort soup. Whatever happened to traits that yielded unique talents?!

I still am looking forward to the hospital to see how it plays out. If it isn't fun, well... it'll serve me right for thinking that buy more EPs will fix a shoddy base game foundation :unamused:

Here's to optimism.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm reminded of an Einstein quote.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Yeah, she didn't react to the pajama thing, and nobody reacted when he froze that alien in front of all the other aliens. Another big fat fail for "smarter Sims". And it defeats the point of having the ray gun if nobody reacts to getting ray gunned. That's most of the fun for me with that kind of thing.

It reminds me of a really dumb show my husband watches about 4 guys who play pranks on random people. Nobody knows what is going on, but them and they are always the only ones laughing.

So the direction they're taking is that everything is supposed to be funny and weird and make us laugh. Not that it matters to our little pixels.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    I've seen that show. It's great..for about thirty seconds.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I've seen that show. It's great..for about thirty seconds.
    snipped
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

It reminds me of a really dumb show my husband watches about 4 guys who play pranks on random people. Nobody knows what is going on, but them and they are always the only ones laughing.

So the direction they're taking is that everything is supposed to be funny and weird and make us laugh. Not that it matters to our little pixels.
    Oh, they're little performers for you!

Too bad they're more grating and boring than charming.

Just like the show! How much do we want to bet people in the Maxis office watch that and love it?
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I just want to say after 6 months and added mods, yeah I did it again because the simple fact is I had 'more' problems without them than with them and one was were hard froze my computer and this was without a single mod. And this rig can handle any game out there as of now if it is optimized well.

I depend on mods to fix things, add some color, and make the game more my style (only if they can make a dishwasher and control over the childish emotions that are just psyco all over the place). My game is more enjoyable because of modders and their fixes. I have a trash compactor, I have more good looking carpet tiles and wallpaper, I have a shower/tub with better curtains..I have a single space archway, I have less waving goodbye, less musical chairs (but still they do it so I feel for those without this mod), I have cheaper rewards and also can purchase aspirations traits (which my never weary is like before they nerfed it and I have time to DO things with my Sims), I do have a few nice looking rugs, a shelf for nicknacks, more clutter space, different color table (just one with more options for color), 2 hairdos, a truck that looks like a truck, walk through grass, and a few others. But they don't break my game most of them give me MORE choice and FREEDOM..Modders have more talent as of now to me and God Bless Them.

Here is my newest Sims house, lot of MOO and some mods as far as plants. I really enjoyed building it and have fun with my little gardener/fisher..

nmb1u9.png

Not quite finished with the landscape and you can't see the truck behind the cottage.. the side path is a modder's tile and the plants are a mod that releases the rare. The modders made it where I can tell a story and enjoy it.. They in my opinion released the fun. Oh and the same house on the gallery is mod free so does not look like this...

So yeah 6 months going on 7 I depend on modders more than I ever had in a Sims game... says something!

• Options
    As far as using Twitter as a soapbox:

It's funny that this got more or just about the same retweets and way more likes:

Than their get to work videos:

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited March 2015
    mortia wrote: »
    SadieD123 wrote: »
    mortia wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Once upon a time, not so long ago... there were live demonstrations by the gurus about the game. Says something. Right from the start of this game there are modders fixing the game's broken things and adding mods to help the player have more control over their game, but not as many as we had in the previous series... says something. The attitude with their disgruntle or out right ticked off customers.. says something.

The silly trailers that they put out.. says something. The outright lie about the player rules and controls..says something.

We all know what happened to Sims Medieval game when they didn't listen to their fanbase (I like Sims Medieval as a silly RPG, but NOT as a Sims game).

The way they ignore all the tasks that many simmers don't like..well again says something. The missing toddlers (I still see toddlers glued to a playpen if they did introduce them in game)...says something.

SimCity went mobile which EA has mentioned that .. that is their intention in the end game.. Even with Sims Free to play (which in fact is not true and there is negative views on that)... Says something.

Them shutting down even just one studio well that screams something.

Their vision isn't working but they keep on with it ...says something.

I will say, it isn't too late to change, but once again that is on EA and releasing some $$$ for the dev team and dropping this whole vision.

If WoW can do it, so can they. It comes down to how much they value their customers.

The new expansion looks interesting, but once more I read tasks are attached to it..

Maybe they hope it fails so they can turn it into another mobile game like SimCity.. that is what it seems to me and dancing doctors aren't going to change my mind on that.

All throughout TS2's run (and even before that) they were consistently showing us actual gameplay and demoing the game. Even TS3 was, too.

But TS4, they've been so quiet, not showing us anything related to the game. And once the live stream started, we saw why. There was a massive amount of clipping and problems in the stream.

Look at Cities: Skylines. Made by a smaller company, but they have been transparent since the game's announcement -- they still have threads up where they ask for bug reporting, and they actually communicate with their fans a ton not only there, but forums and third party websites too. So much transparency and dedication has allowed them to fix bugs before the game was released.

And how about Ask a Guru? EVERY single week that plum is delayed, or put off indefinitely. The one that was supposed to be today was delayed due to "power shortages". When asked why they didn't just go to Starbucks and use the free wifi, they responded "the laptops died". Mediocre development and PR at its finest!

As far as The Sims goes, it's plagued by a development team that isn't truly innovating, creating the game THEY want rather than what the fans want, and a greedy company backing it up.

When I was watching the producer playthrough earlier I burst out laughing at the part where they use the ray gun to change some scientist into her pajamas. The Sim shoots his gun, her clothes change and...nothing. The producer says "Looks like she hasn't noticed she's in her pjs yet, let's get away before there's trouble!". I nodded thinking, Yes, good idea, before everyone can see that she's just standing there with a grin on her face, no reaction whatsoever and zero chance of any "trouble" brewing.

And that laptop excuse...at least we can say that was innovative.

Lol. Or at least it was more innovative than anything else that we've heard from them, and arguably the entire game itself. Although, it's still a "plum" excuse if you ask me.

And there was a producer playthrough today? Where can I watch it???

@SadieD123 here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk84qF719y4

:smile:

Thank you for posting that. I made it about 4 minutes in and noticed that that one employee had ZERO reaction to being changed into her jammies. Of course, the gurus noticed that as well and tried to make it sound like something really would be happening. But she just stood there in her jammies, dumb grin on her face, and didn't even go back to work.

You'd expect she would notice and get all embarrassed -- that could have been a cute animations.

Also, no new traits or aspirations? Really?

Edit: I get the feeling now more than ever that they do not realize how much the little, and not-so-little, details actually matter.

Another edit: Oh, okay, just got to the part in the video where you could see the co-worker again. Absolutely no reaction. She's just working in her jammies. She apparently doesn't even realize that she was changed.

In Sims 3, with the skinny dippers, if someone stole their clothing, they were embarrassed and had to wear nothing but a towel until you clicked on a dresser and changed them that way.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I love the 20 second load screen they highlight :/ So much for the famous 6 second load screen. Since I have issues with load screens already, I hate to think how long they'd be on my system.

Edit: Only one of their load screens was that long -- the others seemed to be 12 seconds. I can't figure out why that one scientist guy was angry either -- he froze a alien then got mad because he discovered she was an alien? I hope there was something more than that to it. Maybe he saw a neighbor there or something.
  • Options
    SadieD123SadieD123 Posts: 1,317 Member
    edited March 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I love the 20 second load screen they highlight :/ So much for the famous 6 second load screen. Since I have issues with load screens already, I hate to think how long they'd be on my system.

Edit: Only one of their load screens was that long -- the others seemed to be 12 seconds. I can't figure out why that one scientist guy was angry either -- he froze a alien then got mad because he discovered she was an alien? I hope there was something more than that to it. Maybe he saw a neighbor there or something.

Yeah I don't get it either. I'm watching it now, and I just got to that part. He's angry because he discovered that she was an alien? But I mean, wasn't it pretty obvious or at least shouldn't it have been pretty obvious that everyone else who was there was an alien? Like he didn't notice that at all? You're on an alien planet for crying out loud. What do you expect? And it's not like they were trying to hide their "alien-ness" from him. All of them were in their alien form.

Plus, nobody at all reacts to him just freezing one of their own? Really? And ughhhhhh....... the clipping.......

Okay so he finally cracks open the alien sim he froze and she doesn't react in any way to him? Like he just froze you. You could at least be angry at him. Or slap him, or say something to him, or SOMETHING. But no, I guess the natural reaction is that you're perfectly okay with that. It's cool, with that dum.b grin on her face. She could have at least done something.
    Post edited by SadieD123 on
    275f503fc4c6c8ef197baeea76ebe0f91373200482_full_zpscc1a19512.gif
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    SadieD123 wrote: »

Yeah I don't get it either. I'm watching it now, and I just got to that part. He's angry because he discovered that she was an alien? But I mean, wasn't it pretty obvious or at least shouldn't it have been pretty obvious that everyone else who was there was an alien? Like he didn't notice that at all? You're on an alien planet for crying out loud. What do you expect? And it's not like they were trying to hide their "alien-ness" from him. All of them were in their alien form.

Plus, nobody at all reacts to him just freezing one of their own? Really? And ughhhhhh....... the clipping.......

The interactions are a result of TS4 base game's horrible emotion set up. Until they fix this and have sims reacting to each other rather than plot driven objects or emoodlet triggers, expect to see more nonsensical reactions or no reactions at all.
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    entering this thread.. i feel back home were i belong..

On the side of giving good critics about this 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game :D
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Welcome :)

While several things looked neat yesterday, but it is still the same old sims 4 sims, only in new environments. Somebody was talking in some thread about how different events are weighted like they belong to different weighting systems. +40 for some relatively minor something and +3 for a more major event. Did they not make a chart ahead of time, so everybody knew what to weight the events while writing code, or did they leave it up to each programmer haphazardly or did they change the system sometime in the middle, and not go back to change the previously done stuff?

Also, no reaction from the coworker or alien. I mean, shouldn't the other aliens react when some stranger from another planet is freezing one of their own, and when the alien was thawed out, shouldn't the alien have been furious at the scientist? They were talking like, oh we better thaw her out before the others get mad, well that was a coverup. Yeah right, no reaction at all from the other aliens. They just didn't want the audience to know that there isn't a reaction. How Plum....
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    gayars wrote: »

While several things looked neat yesterday, but it is still the same old sims 4 sims, only in new environments. Somebody was talking in some thread about how different events are weighted like they belong to different weighting systems. +40 for some relatively minor something and +3 for a more major event. Did they not make a chart ahead of time, so everybody knew what to weight the events while writing code, or did they leave it up to each programmer haphazardly or did they change the system sometime in the middle, and not go back to change the previously done stuff?

Also, no reaction from the coworker or alien. I mean, shouldn't the other aliens react when some stranger from another planet is freezing one of their own, and when the alien was thawed out, shouldn't the alien have been furious at the scientist? They were talking like, oh we better thaw her out before the others get mad, well that was a coverup. Yeah right, no reaction at all from the other aliens. They just didn't want the audience to know that there isn't a reaction. How Plum....

I thought it would have been pretty great if the aliens had had more of a reaction period to seeing a human being walking around in their world. And the non-reaction to the freezing was very odd indeed, though there is one alien who, just as he freezes her friend, get's a negative moodlet of the scientist and a shocked face, but it last for literally a second and she's back to dancing.

It brought to mind how differently these scenarios might have played out in past games. Most certainly if someone had been ray-gunned into their undies on the street there would have been shocked reactions from all the surrounding Sims, extreme embarrassment from the victim and possibly a severe scolding from Mrs. Crumplebottom.

ETA I think I read that thread as well @gayars. Was that the one where being near a fire was significantly more of an uncomfortable event than actually being ON fire? That was an interesting read.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Actually, you're right about that -- the gurus were saying that there were reactions that just weren't triggering when most likely, there just aren't reactions.

Also, I'm a bit concerned with how many aliens were in the retail store. Sims 3 vampires/celebrities were a problem without mods, so I'm hoping that that doesn't happen with aliens with half the neighborhood ending up aliens (they didn't look very disguised). Especially with all the culling that still is happening, I would be most upset if human townies were culled and replaced with aliens to keep up some ratio.

Edit: To get back on topic, I'm now far more concerned about the future of the series. It seems like major issues that people are having are just not understood or not addressed.

• Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Yes that is the one @mortia
  • Options
    SadieD123SadieD123 Posts: 1,317 Member

Actually, you're right about that -- the gurus were saying that there were reactions that just weren't triggering when most likely, there just aren't reactions.

Also, I'm a bit concerned with how many aliens were in the retail store. Sims 3 vampires/celebrities were a problem without mods, so I'm hoping that that doesn't happen with aliens with half the neighborhood ending up aliens (they didn't look very disguised). Especially with all the culling that still is happening, I would be most upset if human townies were culled and replaced with aliens to keep up some ratio.

Edit: To get back on topic, I'm now far more concerned about the future of the series. It seems like major issues that people are having are just not understood or not addressed.

I just hope that there is the ability to turn them off and on. On some of my saves I like to play things weird and have supernatural or extraterrestrial beings in the game. But for the most part I like to play my saves as close to "normal" as possible so the addition of aliens to the game without the ability to choose if we want them in a particular save or not would definitely corrupt that.
    275f503fc4c6c8ef197baeea76ebe0f91373200482_full_zpscc1a19512.gif
  • Options
    Hahaha, you know, in Sims 3 ITF, if you accidentally zapped a plumbot while tuning it up, it would grab the wrench from your sim and zap him right back, along with having a friendship loss.