Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 six months on...

Comments

• Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Well, the newest trailer with the dancing half naked male doctors isn't doing the expansion pack any favors. Why can't they take the time to make a video that tells a story that highlights the features of the game...and make it 3 to 4 minutes long? Machinima is a great tool for telling stories, and it *would* showcase how the game can be played creatively in spite of the limitations.

EA needs to hire a new PR firm.
    Yep my wife showed this video to me and I thought "oh well even in the hospital it's all about party and whoohoo again". :-/
    Wait what, so you are telling me this doesn't depict life?? :unamused:
  • Options
    SadieD123SadieD123 Posts: 1,317 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Well, the newest trailer with the dancing half naked male doctors isn't doing the expansion pack any favors. Why can't they take the time to make a video that tells a story that highlights the features of the game...and make it 3 to 4 minutes long? Machinima is a great tool for telling stories, and it *would* showcase how the game can be played creatively in spite of the limitations.

EA needs to hire a new PR firm.
    Yep my wife showed this video to me and I thought "oh well even in the hospital it's all about party and whoohoo again". :-/
    Wait what, so you are telling me this doesn't depict life?? :unamused:

Heh, I hope not. I'd HATE to walk in and see my doctor dancing in his underwear. Not only would it be awkward but I'd quite possibly run away screaming.
    275f503fc4c6c8ef197baeea76ebe0f91373200482_full_zpscc1a19512.gif
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Not to stray too off-topic, but mobile phones are cheaper than land lines and more convenient... especially for emergencies. :relieved:

Not where I live.. and forgot to add two cellphones..

Not a cellphone fan nor a mobile game fan either.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2015
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Once upon a time, not so long ago... there were live demonstrations by the gurus about the game. Says something. Right from the start of this game there are modders fixing the game's broken things and adding mods to help the player have more control over their game, but not as many as we had in the previous series... says something. The attitude with their disgruntle or out right ticked off customers.. says something.

The silly trailers that they put out.. says something. The outright lie about the player rules and controls..says something.

We all know what happened to Sims Medieval game when they didn't listen to their fanbase (I like Sims Medieval as a silly RPG, but NOT as a Sims game).

The way they ignore all the tasks that many simmers don't like..well again says something. The missing toddlers (I still see toddlers glued to a playpen if they did introduce them in game)...says something.

SimCity went mobile which EA has mentioned that .. that is their intention in the end game.. Even with Sims Free to play (which in fact is not true and there is negative views on that)... Says something.

Them shutting down even just one studio well that screams something.

Their vision isn't working but they keep on with it ...says something.

I will say, it isn't too late to change, but once again that is on EA and releasing some $$$ for the dev team and dropping this whole vision.

If WoW can do it, so can they. It comes down to how much they value their customers.

The new expansion looks interesting, but once more I read tasks are attached to it..

Maybe they hope it fails so they can turn it into another mobile game like SimCity.. that is what it seems to me and dancing doctors aren't going to change my mind on that.

All throughout TS2's run (and even before that) they were consistently showing us actual gameplay and demoing the game. Even TS3 was, too.

But TS4, they've been so quiet, not showing us anything related to the game. And once the live stream started, we saw why. There was a massive amount of clipping and problems in the stream.

Look at Cities: Skylines. Made by a smaller company, but they have been transparent since the game's announcement -- they still have threads up where they ask for bug reporting, and they actually communicate with their fans a ton not only there, but forums and third party websites too. So much transparency and dedication has allowed them to fix bugs before the game was released.

And how about Ask a Guru? EVERY single week that plum is delayed, or put off indefinitely. The one that was supposed to be today was delayed due to "power shortages". When asked why they didn't just go to Starbucks and use the free wifi, they responded "the laptops died". Mediocre development and PR at its finest!

As far as The Sims goes, it's plagued by a development team that isn't truly innovating, creating the game THEY want rather than what the fans want, and a greedy company backing it up.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Once upon a time, not so long ago... there were live demonstrations by the gurus about the game. Says something. Right from the start of this game there are modders fixing the game's broken things and adding mods to help the player have more control over their game, but not as many as we had in the previous series... says something. The attitude with their disgruntle or out right ticked off customers.. says something.

The silly trailers that they put out.. says something. The outright lie about the player rules and controls..says something.

We all know what happened to Sims Medieval game when they didn't listen to their fanbase (I like Sims Medieval as a silly RPG, but NOT as a Sims game).

The way they ignore all the tasks that many simmers don't like..well again says something. The missing toddlers (I still see toddlers glued to a playpen if they did introduce them in game)...says something.

SimCity went mobile which EA has mentioned that .. that is their intention in the end game.. Even with Sims Free to play (which in fact is not true and there is negative views on that)... Says something.

I will say, it isn't too late to change, but once again that is on EA and releasing some $$$ for the dev team and dropping this whole vision.

If WoW can do it, so can they. It comes down to how much they value their customers.

The new expansion looks interesting, but once more I read tasks are attached to it..

Maybe they hope it fails so they can turn it into another mobile game like SimCity.. that is what it seems to me and dancing doctors aren't going to change my mind on that.

All throughout TS2's run (and even before that) they were consistently showing us actual gameplay and demoing the game. Even TS3 was, too.

But TS4, they've been so quiet, not showing us anything related to the game. And once the live stream started, we saw why. There was a massive amount of clipping and problems in the stream.

Look at Cities: Skylines. Made by a smaller company, but they have been transparent since the game's announcement -- they still have threads up where they ask for bug reporting, and they actually communicate with their fans a ton not only there, but forums and third party websites too. So much transparency and dedication has allowed them to fix bugs before the game was released.

And how about Ask a Guru? EVERY single week that plum is delayed, or put off indefinitely. The one that was supposed to be today was delayed due to "power shortages". When asked why they didn't just go to Starbucks and use the free wifi, they responded "the laptops died". Mediocre development and PR at its finest!

As far as The Sims goes, it's plagued by a development team that isn't truly innovating, creating the game THEY want rather than what the fans want, and a greedy company backing it up.

When I was watching the producer playthrough earlier I burst out laughing at the part where they use the ray gun to change some scientist into her pajamas. The Sim shoots his gun, her clothes change and...nothing. The producer says "Looks like she hasn't noticed she's in her pjs yet, let's get away before there's trouble!". I nodded thinking, Yes, good idea, before everyone can see that she's just standing there with a grin on her face, no reaction whatsoever and zero chance of any "trouble" brewing.

And that laptop excuse...at least we can say that was innovative.

• Options

mortia wrote: »

When I was watching the producer playthrough earlier I burst out laughing at the part where they use the ray gun to change some scientist into her pajamas. The Sim shoots his gun, her clothes change and...nothing. The producer says "Looks like she hasn't noticed she's in her pjs yet, let's get away before there's trouble!". I nodded thinking, Yes, good idea, before everyone can see that she's just standing there with a grin on her face, no reaction whatsoever and zero chance of any "trouble" brewing.

Lol. Or at least it was more innovative than anything else that we've heard from them, and arguably the entire game itself. Although, it's still a "plum" excuse if you ask me.

And there was a producer playthrough today? Where can I watch it???
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SadieD123 wrote: »

Lol. Or at least it was more innovative than anything else that we've heard from them, and arguably the entire game itself. Although, it's still a "plum" excuse if you ask me.

@SadieD123 here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk84qF719y4

:smile:
  • Options
    edited March 2015

@SadieD123 here you go

Why are there no announcements about these types of things anymore?

ETA, oh and thank you very much @mortia!
  • Options

@SadieD123 here you go

Good Question! I just happened to see it because I was in the "Get to Work" section earlier. I don't think anything has been posted in the News section of the forums since February. Twitter/Facebook or you're out of luck!
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Yeah we've been commenting about the communication/PR angle a bunch and they REALLY need to get that sorted out.

Whether you like or dislike Sims 4, the communication is abysmal overall and needs to change ASAP.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options

@SadieD123 here you go

Good Question! I just happened to see it because I was in the "Get to Work" section earlier. I don't think anything has been posted in the News section of the forums since February. Twitter/Facebook or you're out of luck!

That is seriously annoying. I remember before this game came out and they were giving us the first LB's for Sims 4 they made such a big deal about it and announced it everywhere on the forums. I would never miss a LB for the game because they really do show a lot and it was great because I always knew about it just by coming to the forums. It really "plums" that apparently we (the forum users) aren't good enough for that anymore..... *le sigh*
  • Options
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Yeah we've been commenting about the communication/PR angle a bunch and they REALLY need to get that sorted out.

Whether you like or dislike Sims 4, the communication is abysmal overall and needs to change ASAP.

The thing is, before September it used to not be this way! I could always find news about an upcoming LB or announcement on the forums and no there's absolutely nothing. It's not fair. They treat us like trash.... or at least it feels that way..... Thanks EA...... :bawling:
  • Options

It's abysmal. At the very least, embed a Twitter feed on the site so those who don't have/don't want to use Social Media can be kept in the loop without having to rely on other forum users posting. Much of the discontent and gnashing of teeth stems from all of us being kept in the dark as to the plans of the devs for the future of this game. They really need to do something to remedy this.
  • Options

The thing is, before September it used to not be this way! I could always find news about an upcoming LB or announcement on the forums and no there's absolutely nothing. It's not fair. They treat us like trash.... or at least it feels that way..... Thanks EA...... :bawling:

Try not to take it personal/assume it's malicious or even intentional.

If your Gurus want to communicate but someone else above them is saying no, they're in a tough spot.

We just need to keep clamoring for a change in their communication angle and make them realize saying more is better than saying less, even if it's just "Here's what's on our plate for now" so we're aware of what's taking up some of their development time.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options

If your Gurus want to communicate but someone else above them is saying no, they're in a tough spot.

We just need to keep clamoring for a change in their communication angle and make them realize saying more is better than saying less, even if it's just "Here's what's on our plate for now" so we're aware of what's taking up some of their development time.

Yeah you're right. Thanks! But also, if that's the case, then I don't see why someone would want to stop them from communicating on their own "made specifically for Sims" site. It doesn't make sense that they shut out the THE SIMS forums and only resort to social media. It's so backwards.
  • Options

Yeah you're right. Thanks! But also, if that's the case, then I don't see why someone would want to stop them from communicating on their own "made specifically for Sims" site. It doesn't make sense that they shut out the THE SIMS forums and only resort to social media. It's so backwards.

While I'm not 100% defending the silence as I'm one of the people certainly calling for a change, there's too many times where your open communication may miss a beat and rather than having quality feedback, certain segments of your fanbase take to personal attacks, threats and general harassment over something that changes down the road.

I've seen it so many times even from companies with fantastic communication outlets.

It's still NOT an excuse - I suspect they're tight lipped atm because they can't give us info even if they want to and I hope something forces a change in that.

We're not asking for a ton - have a regular section (Announcements? Hello?) that gets all the new videos/tweets/information disseminated and also have a "Here's our 3/6/9/12 month pipeline plans"

Heck, maybe we should start doing what the Bioware boards does - there's some members there who have a stickied thread in the general forum section that tracks all the twitter/FB/social feeds and reposts it to the boards so everyone can keep up.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Not to stray too off-topic, but mobile phones are cheaper than land lines and more convenient... especially for emergencies. :relieved:

Yeah, well I guess Im odd then. I have one land line, one phone number and NO cell phone.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Not too odd at all.

.. Well I have a cell but for business or emergency use only, and it's a good old-fashioned dumb-phone. I simply can't be bothered keeping up with "the latest and the greatest"
  • Options
    Ahh, so this must be you @Zolt65

ShanePhone.jpg
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options

While I'm not 100% defending the silence as I'm one of the people certainly calling for a change, there's too many times where your open communication may miss a beat and rather than having quality feedback, certain segments of your fanbase take to personal attacks, threats and general harassment over something that changes down the road.

I've seen it so many times even from companies with fantastic communication outlets.

It's still NOT an excuse - I suspect they're tight lipped atm because they can't give us info even if they want to and I hope something forces a change in that.

We're not asking for a ton - have a regular section (Announcements? Hello?) that gets all the new videos/tweets/information disseminated and also have a "Here's our 3/6/9/12 month pipeline plans"

Heck, maybe we should start doing what the Bioware boards does - there's some members there who have a stickied thread in the general forum section that tracks all the twitter/FB/social feeds and reposts it to the boards so everyone can keep up.

That Bioware thing sounds like it'd be a good idea. It could at least keep us in the loop here at the forums. But overall, needless to say, Makoto Tachibana is not happy with how the situation is, at the moment, at all......
    FB_IMG_1424909591617.jpg
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    There are some people who can't understand the overall picture and go off when they don't get what they want. Gurus have to just filter out those people and try and be polite when others are not. I don't expect them to answer every question or even most questions, but at least saying what they are working on would be a help.

There's also the view that what the Sims 4 engine can do is limited. If that's the case, it might be better for the gurus not to come in and respond or tell us what's going on because they wouldn't be able to tell the truth. They can't bash the engine and if that's the case, then there's no way to outright say that certain things couldn't be done and why they're not planning on doing other things wanted by the community.

It also takes guts to come out and say what their vision of the game is, because rarely do people have the same vision of what the game is, and what the game should be in the future. Let's pretend they come out and say, we think most people play on tablets, phones, and laptops, therefore we made this game for them. We think that people want memorable moments and outrageous situations so that they can take pictures and send them to friends or post them online. That's why we created the emotion system and the crazy, soap-opera type expressions. Now that would be a honest assessment but I doubt that the responses would be as civil. Therefore it's better that they don't say anything.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

No, for me a cell phone is:

getsmart-shoe-phone.jpg

me on a land line:

cold-calling-is-dead.jpg

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options

That Bioware thing sounds like it'd be a good idea. It could at least keep us in the loop here at the forums. But overall, needless to say, Makoto Tachibana is not happy with how the situation is, at the moment, at all......
    FB_IMG_1424909591617.jpg

Oh my.

Free! Hmm? I totally watch that show for the...artwork.

Yeah, the artwork :blush:
  • Options

FB_IMG_1424909591617.jpg

Oh my.

Free! Hmm? I totally watch that show for the...artwork.

Yeah, the artwork :blush:

Hahahah...... yep..... You and me both. :wink:
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    Yeah, I had no idea there was a producer playthrough. Pity there's only 2 max sims in the group shot. Thanks for posting! @mortia
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter