Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WooHoo Weekend Challenge!

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2015
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »

@SimGuruBChick -- Forgive, but I find the focus on "WooHoo" / sex a very disturbing. This version of the game does not deserve the Teen rating as no one should encourage children (teens are still children) to "woohoo" for rewards. While the blog speaks of love and romance, the focus is still on the "woohoo" factor. I do not understand the direction that Maxis is taking currently.

For those that will tell me to lighten up: I am easy-going and rather risqué in some areas, but never in the area of my children. Just because it is already out there does not mean that I want it in my Teen's face via a game that was once family-orientated. Could it be time to pull the plug on my Teen's access to TS4?

Prior sims series were a lot more "risque" than this one. Sims 1 and 2 both had more 'adult' content than this or the last one. Did your children play 1 or 2? Or were they too risque for them?

The game wasn't really and totally family-oriented until legacy challenge began. It was always just a game to play however you see fit.

You should pull their plug on the access to prior versions too then.

The prior versions did not have contests that rewarded questionable activity. The 'adult content' was based on woohooing however there was not a focus on it. I understand that sex sells, but I do not want it sold to my children. My children play The Sims on wii and PS before TS4. I agree that it might well be time to put all the The Sims games on the "high" shelf.

I would put the ones that promote killing, shooting people for fun, and promote disregard for other people on a higher shelf.

All M rated games are there. (The high shelf is actually a locked game cabinet.) Just never had to place a T rated one there.

So, you see nothing wrong with playing them yourself yet complain about this game. You buy games for killing fun but think this is a serious problem with THIS game. I find that ironic.

No. I do not play games for killing. There are others in this home that are adults and choose their own form of entertainment. What is ironic about wanting to protect my children from moral corruption. I am an adult, I am mature enough to decide what is or is not morally correct. I do not treat my children to the same things that I do...age appropriate matters to me.
    But you're criticizing other people's idea of what is age appropriate. Your version of age appropriate or morally "correct" is not a universal one. Yes, the SimGurus developed a weekend game encouraging Simmers -- who are all supposed to be 13+, not children -- to play with a particular part of the game that game-raters see as perfectly acceptable for a 13+ game. The fact that you don't want people to tell your teenagers (I presume; this isn't supposed to be a game for actual children) to play with having adults woohoo doesn't make doing so age-inappropriate. And it doesn't mean that you get to decide for my teenager that it's morally incorrect. (Personally, I'm delighted that the game and its makers consider woohoo to be normal, healthy part of life, even outside of marriage and outside of opposite-gender relationships. This is what I want my teenagers to learn: that this is a joyful thing worth celebration. To me, that is a "morally correct" message. My teenagers, however, have set the game aside because they miss pet cats that much. They're busy slaughtering things and stealing stuff in other games, instead.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    desirae333desirae333 Posts: 261 Member
    edited February 2015
    I can see both sides to the story. I can understand why people are not comfortable with the fact that they are promoting woohoo/sex. However, I think a lot of people are reading way too much into this.

For one thing, we all know that Valentine's Day itself promotes sex, not just love. Everyone knows that it's the time of year for couples to go out and buy sexy lingerie and rent an expensive suite in a hotel, etc. This isn't that big of a stretch from what they are doing here.

Also, I can agree that promoting sex to teens is not a good thing, but I don't believe that that is their intention. Besides, if teenagers today cannot make the distinction between a game and reality; the risk-free woohoo, and real life STDs and sex; the violence in the games that include weapons, murder, stealing, etc, than our world is pretty much doomed.

In my opinion, we should really stop "sensoring" our children from what they are bound to see, and teach them to think critically about what they are seeing and how to make the distinction between reality and fiction - what is acceptable and what is not.

Besides, if it makes you uncomfortable as a parent, just don't allow your children to partake in the challenge. Make it a teachable moment and explain to them why you believe that this is wrong and how sex/woohoo is not a tool to use to reap rewards.

TALK to your kids, don't shelter them.

This is not directed at anyone personally. I am a teacher and see too often both extremes: children with overbearing parents who will not allow them to experience life and what it has to offer them to the point where they are virtually helpless and incapable of succeeding, or rebel and do far worse things than participate in a woohoo challenge; and others who have absolutely no support and struggle with any success because they don't believe they can from lack of encouragement.

This turned into a bigger rant than I intended but it honestly comes down to this: this is a game. Not reality. Not meant to ruin the mind of children, but to let people enjoy it!

I say, let's just enjoy the challenge for what it is: a game. Sorry if I offended anyone, just my thoughts.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    My morals are not up for debate.

I understand that some people have different values and do not see the harm. I also understand that some parents/grandparents believe that children know the differences between games and real life and are not involved in the molding of their children's morals. Regardless of the intensions of the challenge, I find it disturbing for a Teen-rated game.
  • Options
    desirae333desirae333 Posts: 261 Member
    Everyone has their own morals, and I don't think anyone is trying to change them. We are just sharing ours. I hope I am not crossing the line by making that assumption.

However, as someone said earlier, nothing about the game has changed. Your children do not even have to see the challenge as it is posted on an external site. I personally wouldn't let a silly challenge ruin the whole game as they can still play the game however you deemed acceptable before.
  • Options
    chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
  • Options
    gartephiegartephie Posts: 118 Member
    Oh boy... Maybe stop sheltering your children and teach them about sex/woohoo and give them the "it's what two people who love eachother do" There are so many worse games out there that I am sure your children have already been subjected to, hec, even raunchy media subjection. You can't shelter your teens forever unfortunately.

This was just a fun, cheeky event promoted for new items in a future game update, and a way to test new gameplay, nothing more. If you take offense to it so much, leave this forum. We all know how you feel about it, and you're not the only one but I don't see anyone being as eager to voice how much they dislike the woohoo weekend challenge.

And as someone mentioned earlier, and I also can say from experience as working with children ; the sheltered ones are always the ones that find other self destructing behaviours to engage in other than sex. So maybe give your kids the sex talk, tell them about protection, and you've done your job as a parent of teenagers. However, if you think sheltering them from a mere computer game is the best way to parent, then go ahead but please, don't ruin the fun for the rest of us.

There are so many more things I wish to say to you, but I like being a non banned member on this site...

tumblr_mskby9ubqC1qld9iuo1_500.gif
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I have been thoroughly enjoying the challenge as a break in my normal gameplay. It's just something silly, and though my sims are wohooing more than normal, I'm having lots of meaningful gameplay in there as well. I've played with four different households and amd having a blast.

Here's my Simself with Alexander Goth at their wedding (which he didn't bother to shower for)
    02-15-15_3-42%C2%A0PM-3.png

and here's their first child.
    02-15-15_4-12%C2%A0PM.png

Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Dear Friends,

Firstly love how all of you are getting into the WooHoo spirit and joining into the awesome Challenge! (I may have even contributed myself in my game).

Secondly and on a sadder note, this discussion is not for debating each other's morals. I understand that some people are not exactly thrilled with the challenge and that is quite alright! If that is the case, I urge you to continue playing Sims 4 the way you had before! Lets not start fighting about what is right and wrong for each other, and focus on the challenge at hand!

Thanks for your understanding and keep up the great and awesome work ;)

Thank you.
  • Options
    Dear Friends,

Firstly love how all of you are getting into the WooHoo spirit and joining into the awesome Challenge! (I may have even contributed myself in my game).

Secondly and on a sadder note, this discussion is not for debating each other's morals. I understand that some people are not exactly thrilled with the challenge and that is quite alright! If that is the case, I urge you to continue playing Sims 4 the way you had before! Lets not start fighting about what is right and wrong for each other, and focus on the challenge at hand!

Agreed x 100,000,000 times!

So I hear Sim's can kick the bucket from woohooing to much? That's pretty hilarious actually.... Welll... At least they died happy? Lol!
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    Yeah, elders can die of exhaustion from woohooing repeatedly. And from exercise.
  • Options
    Andygal wrote: »
    Yeah, elders can die of exhaustion from woohooing repeatedly. And from exercise.

This game just keeps getting better and better lol. Now do I make my elder sims go on a woohoo marathon or an extended jog around the neighbourhood lol.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    gartephie wrote: »
    Andygal wrote: »

This game just keeps getting better and better lol. Now do I make my elder sims go on a woohoo marathon or an extended jog around the neighbourhood lol.

I have found this very useful. B)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    @SimStaffBethelle‌ says, "I may have even contributed myself in my game."

Fifty Shades of Bethelle?! :open_mouth:
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • Options
    @SimStaffBethelle‌ says, "I may have even contributed myself in my game."

Fifty Shades of Bethelle?! :open_mouth:

Gah! Kill it with fire!!!
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Not gonna lie - I'd read/watch it. But only if all the characters still spoke in Simlish.

"Is he hitting on her or telling her a llama has more sex appeal?"
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Not gonna lie - I'd read/watch it. But only if all the characters still spoke in Simlish.

"Is he hitting on her or telling her a llama has more sex appeal?"

And all of a sudden we find ourselves creating our own 50 Shades of Grey characters in light of the movie release and the Woohoo Weekend Challenge...Now then...where did I put those ropes?
  • Options
    ColdHearted21ColdHearted21 Posts: 251 Member
    I've been enjoying the challenge I could care less if connected to that book

UrMeatisNeat

• Options
    musicislife416musicislife416 Posts: 159 Member
    Stupid question. Is there a counter anywhere showing what we're at or is it going to be a complete surprise if we do or don't reach 4 million?

even if we didn't get to 4 million, they still would release the new content.

I know. I'm just curious if we get to see what we're at
    tumblr_ngzxfipZLO1u3tigco1_500.gif

• Options
    I've been enjoying the challenge I could care less if connected to that book

I don't think it's connected to the book. Just kinda funny making a reference to it =p
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

@SimGuruBChick -- Forgive, but I find the focus on "WooHoo" / sex a very disturbing. This version of the game does not deserve the Teen rating as no one should encourage children (teens are still children) to "woohoo" for rewards. While the blog speaks of love and romance, the focus is still on the "woohoo" factor. I do not understand the direction that Maxis is taking currently.

For those that will tell me to lighten up: I am easy-going and rather risqué in some areas, but never in the area of my children. Just because it is already out there does not mean that I want it in my Teen's face via a game that was once family-orientated. Could it be time to pull the plug on my Teen's access to TS4?

Prior sims series were a lot more "risque" than this one. Sims 1 and 2 both had more 'adult' content than this or the last one. Did your children play 1 or 2? Or were they too risque for them?

The game wasn't really and totally family-oriented until legacy challenge began. It was always just a game to play however you see fit.

You should pull their plug on the access to prior versions too then.

I focused on building families before I ever heard of the Legacy Challenge. The legacy challenge was a result of the game design not vice-versa.

I also think this is just a bit of adult humour for Valentine's weekend--while I'm sceptical of the game data sharing, I think the idea itself is just good fun for those who want to participate. Although.... if we're talking about fun on VDay weekend, this is one of those times when reality trumps the game, so I dunno if the majority of players were playing the Sims 4 on Valentine's Day, or if it's possible to whoohoo enough to reach the stats in one day--assuming lots of players woke up late today and dallied the afternoon :smirk: I'll be surprised if the numbers are achieved.

If EA is assuming that it's not all single adults or thrill-is-gone married couples who are primarily participating in the challenge but rather their teens and children (who could very well be playing the sims all weekend long) then I think the simmer has a valid complaint. The concern here is that EA is targeting minors and encouraging them to "whoohoo" their sims and presenting it in a manner that equates to this is what love is about. I don't think this is the case, but I don't think the posted concern should be dimissed so readily.

I would definitely not say that TS2 or TS1 was more risque than TS4 because that would depend on the play style and the simmer is talking about the campaign. Were there similar campaigns for either game? Whoohoo like homosexuality and strays are a part of life. The Sims is about life. No one can say that by purchasing and playing the game we are being encouraged to make our sims fornicate all the time with the same sex and be negligent pet owners (sims can get rid of any pet by phone). However if there is a campaign (whoohoo a lot and you get a present) then consumers who are uncomfortable with this message have a reason to question it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @nanashi-sims‌

Really good post! But a SimStaff member intervened and I really don't want to see this issue brought up again on the forum! I don't mean to be rude or anything so I'm sorry if I'm coming off that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just think it's a good idea to keep this debate buried :) And hopefully others can agree with me on this?
    Dear Friends,

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited February 2015
    @nanashi-sims‌

Really good post! But a SimStaff member intervened and I really don't want to see this issue brought up again on the forum! I don't mean to be rude or anything so I'm sorry if I'm coming off that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just think it's a good idea to keep this debate buried :) And hopefully others can agree with me on this?
    Dear Friends,

Yeah, I replied when I quoted fullspiral and then 2 pages later read SimBethelle's reply. I opted not to delete my post because it had nothing to do with debating morals, so I reckon it's fine as it stands. Thanks for your post, I didn't consider it rude at all. :relaxed:

Edit: I will say I disagree about burying debating. Sorry, but as long as there is no thread derailment or forum violations, a public forum is free game for different ideas. Not everyone is going to like this "whoohoo for prezzies" idea and they have the right to express this--just because a guru started the topic doesn't make it sacred. Again though, I respect your opinion and the way you presented it!
  • Options
    @nanashi-sims‌

Dear Friends,

Yeah, I replied when I quoted fullspiral and then 2 pages later read SimBethelle's reply. I opted not to delete my post because it had nothing to do with debating morals, so I reckion it's fine as it stands. Thanks for your post, I didn't consider it rude at all. :relaxed:

Just trying to keep the peace! And yes I realise you weren't debating morals, I just didn't want anyone to start bringing more negativity into this forum. (Not saying your post was - just didn't want someone to go off on a negative tangent from yours.)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Did my part, plus trying to kill off my elder slacker Sim; so far he's Woohooed 4 times but still alive and kicking (tried for a fifth time yesterday but the Sim he invited over left before they could do the deed, plus his grandson came home from school).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)