Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    uo_ishikawauo_ishikawa Posts: 42 Member
    edited August 2015
    Cities:skyline grabbed Simcity players recently.
    It's because of critical failuer of EA.
    There is some chance for developers to grab life simulation players though it's not that big as Simcity.
    There have been few challengers to The Sims franchise for several years.
    Any ambitious developer,it's your turn.
    Post edited by uo_ishikawa on
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    @Goodywood I thought that was very well-written and expresses how many of us feel. You can actually unlock the career rewards with a cheat and buy them from the build/buy menu, but what really peeved me was that my sims had to BE IN THE CAREER to use the career rewards. So that nice science machine requires an active scientist as opposed to no requirements as we had in Sim 3 (and gave a science skill) and as opposed to no requirements in Sims 2 (and gave hobby enthusiasm).

@Frogprincess_q Just TOO MANY GOALS! This game is based on goals. Even the dating now. GOALS!

It's one of the main reasons I don't play it anymore. I don't mind games with quests, but Sims for me has always been one of my sandbox games and to my mind the quests are not well done. They aren't particularly interesting the first time through, let alone the second time through. They are just "busy work" and bossy, imo.

Yep! Exactly how I feel @Frogprincess_q .

So sandbox basically means freewill to do what you want? I see that a lot on the forums. But yes, I want a sandbox game.

Pretty much, yes. Imagine being a child playing in a big box of sand. You can make up stories, build things, make a mess, whatever :) If someone stands next to the box of sand and says "build 3 sandcastles" it rather ruins the whole point of playing freely.

With TS4, they emptied the sandbox and just left all the cat dropping behind!
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Cities:skyline grabbed Simcity players recently.
    It's because of critical failuer of EA.
    There is some chance for developers to grab life simulation players though it's not that big as Simcity.
    There have been few challengers to The Sims franchise for several years.
    Any ambitious developer,it's your turn.
    I haven't played Cities Skylines much after I bought it since I think it's too hard for me, also it doesn't include disasters like SimCity, which is a big minus. Also they are going to release an expansion pack with restaurants and day-night changing. Really? Why should we buy an EPs to complete our games? I kind of understand this with The Sims games, but...still.
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    edited August 2015

ETA: Yes, it was this one. About 2.45 min into the interview he asks if they consulted with psychologists and Lucy Bradshaw replies "Not really, because at the end of the day we are creating that drama".

Unfortunately this is a big part of the problem with Sims 4 - 'we are creating that drama'. EA is creating the drama, and telling us not just how to play the game but how we want to play the game (players just aren't understanding 'The Vision'). The correct statement for the Sims series should be 'the players are creating the drama', and that does require some form of sim-psychology so that they can react consistently to whatever hoops we make them jump through.

I wasn't horribly annoyed by rabbitholes (although the jobs I didn't consider as same, I considered rabbitholes to be the hollow building fronts), but I preferred the Sims 2 actual stores where you could go to the clothes racks to look and the register to purchase, or browse the magazine racks, or pick your groceries from the freezer or produce displays. Typically, rather than return to the stores people liked, they cut them entirely, reverting to the base-game original Sims.

Sims 3 seasons was a great family pack. It had several youngster-stage specific activities, and the igloo and snowmen were group activities that could be done by whole families, friends of any ages, etc. Grandparent and grandchild building a snowman is terribly cute.

ETA - hey, the 'Chatter' is gone.
  • Options
    altg1229altg1229 Posts: 89 Member
    edited August 2015
    [quote="Frogprincess_q;14037839"][quote="Scobre;14037815"][quote="Frogprincess_q;14037798"]I remember the impact that the original sims had on my first husband, when he didn't take proper care of his sims needs and they got too depressed to do anything. It was something he was prone to doing to himself as well and it helped him realise it wasn't a healthy way to live.

I also spent a lot of time contemplating psychology in Sim 2 terms, with aspiration needs and basic needs and how they are both important and debating whether I am primarily a knowledge sim or a family sim (I settled on knowledge with family as the secondary aspiration, although for a while I was worried about my RL tendency to turn into a grilled cheese sandwich sim at a moment's notice).

I consider it a darn shame that Sims moved away from using real psychology principles such as the Maslow Hierachy of Needs. Here is an interesting article I came across when I was looking for something about Will Wright and how he used psychology in the game design.
    [/quote]
    Aww that's nice it helped you and your husband out. LOL I loved that grilled cheese aspiration. They are supposed to be following those, but I'm just not seeing it in the Sims 4.[/quote]

I recall reading somewhere that Sims 4 team didn't use real psychology in the interest of more drama(?) It might have been from this interview, but dang it's long and I can't find a transcript :cry:

ETA: Yes, it was this one. About 2.45 min into the interview he asks if they consulted with psychologists and Lucy Bradshaw replies "Not really, because at the end of the day we are creating that drama".[/quote]

Wow. This disappointed me a lot more than I could've expected because I never even considered the psych of ts2 or how much it impacted/enhanced the gameplay, until it was pointed out that it's not there anymore. The psychology of sims 2 added realism to a wacky and fun game. It was what made me (and so many others I'm sure) connect with those tiny pixelated people.

On another note, when have sims players ever need the game's help to create drama? Was that something people complained about or requested? That they couldn't make dramatic enough stories?? Because I think the previous game engines accomplished telling some pretty incredible and dramatic stories without going over the top the way the sims 4 constantly does.

This may have completely ruined ts4 for me :( I was holding out hope that eventually they'd tweak the traits/emotions system so that it's more stable and that traits actually have some significance. But knowing that base is missing and that no thought went into making the sims real people, that hope is pretty much gone. :/
  • Options
    crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    It certainly highlights the hubris of EA/Maxis that they think they can reproduce/mimic human emotions. Basically this is the same thing we've been hearing - they don't want anybody, even a psychologist, to interfere with their vision. And that my friends is how you ruin any semblance of family interaction in the Sims. Good job guys!

> I think its time for EA/Maxis to start seeing a Psychologist for themselves, since they are full of themselves thinking their vision is the correct one for all the players of the Sims 4.
  • Options
    crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    I'm upset guys. I mean, I'm really upset about the Sims 4. It's actually making me angry. I can't even express my feelings in words because I'm not a good writer.

First, I'm upset about GTW. OFB was my favorite EP of all time, and I feel they didn't put forth the effort to make GTW live up to it's expectations. Especially when I saw that it was really AMB/OFB (more so AMB in my opinion).

GTW is missing features like shopping bags and cash registers, etc. But it just hit me when I read the tweet that we are never getting these things back. I have to, yet again, wait 5 years for another "real" OFB.

Second thing thats bugging me is the "goal" type gameplay (not sure what you call this kind of gameplay). It doesn't feel like the Sims. "Goals" or "Wishes" etc was always something on the side or just something that was a part of the Sims lives. Now it seems to be the base for the game. Why are there items locked in Buymode? Is this the new career reward system? I feel I have to work for everything now. The "emotions really bugging me!! :s the "emotions" are really really really annoying. I really hate the bold descriptions of the Sim's mood: FOCUS! HAPPY! SAD!

The suggested emotion for my Sim's career is "FOCUS!!!!". So it says "read a book" blah blah to get that emotion. I have her read a book but it takes like 3 hours to read it. Then she's hungry before she can finish and now she is "UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!". So I have her make something to eat, and that takes like 2 hours. Then she needs a shower so she is uncomfortable again. Now she is tired which means she's "TENSE!!!!" or I don't know maybe she is "UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!".

I'm now watching my Sim go through 50 emotions in one day. She is never stable. As soon as she has to pee/ or is hungry, (and the bar isn't even that low) shes uncomfortable/ or tense blah blah blah.

I prefer in the previous system when the Sims emotions weren't on display like it's a "wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man".

Sorry the emotions really annoy me. This game screams MMO. It's showing that they really didn't have a key feature for Sims 4 so they pretty much made "emotions" the "new" key feature. But really it's not new, and I think that really bothers me.

I don't know maybe I'm overly upset about it. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it is and I'm over thinking it. But I can't help but feel/see that there is something wrong with this game besides the fact it is missing family gameplay.

I mean I know it's already been discussed plenty of times but I have to say it again because it's really bothering me right now. I guess I need some comfort. :'(

Sorry. Again I'm not the best writer, so please ignore any typos.

>It's alright for you to get it out,talk about how you are feeling about the Sims 4. In one of My earlier statement on this thread it is a form of therapy for us.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    We're so near to a thousand pages...unbelievable that we probably still won't have toddlers when we're there...
  • Options
    MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member
    When it gets to 1000 we should celebrate or do something to commemorate this thread. <3o:)
    Any Ideas?
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Afternoon!

Update on hubby! They did find source of infection and pain and are treating it. He is not much better and they have talked about surgery, but, the ortho and general surgeons are arguing as to whether surgery is needed or wait and see so we are just confused as all get out.

I've not been able to play much, but, have been organizing my massive CAP files....I'm weaning out the ones I don't use so it will lighten the loads. Wish there was a way to delete the ones from EA as I don't use many EA patterns in my personal builds. I only use them in builds for the exchange now. I'm reading and following your posts and love all the pics and conversation and have been reading some to hubby. We have followed the zagadoo debate and I did comment in those threads as sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut :)
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Big hugs, @bekkasan. Fingers crossed that the medications will kick in and wipe out the infection & pain, and that the ortho & surgeons will quickly come to an agreement on the surgery question.
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    crockatail wrote: »
    It certainly highlights the hubris of EA/Maxis that they think they can reproduce/mimic human emotions. Basically this is the same thing we've been hearing - they don't want anybody, even a psychologist, to interfere with their vision. And that my friends is how you ruin any semblance of family interaction in the Sims. Good job guys!

> I think its time for EA/Maxis to start seeing a Psychologist for themselves, since they are full of themselves thinking their vision is the correct one for all the players of the Sims 4.
    It's most likely the correct one for their target audience.
  • Options
    MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member
    *hugs* @bekkasan
    Hope u are ok!
    Wish u good luck! <3
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Afternoon!

Update on hubby! They did find source of infection and pain and are treating it. He is not much better and they have talked about surgery, but, the ortho and general surgeons are arguing as to whether surgery is needed or wait and see so we are just confused as all get out.
    Hi @bekkasan I have looked and looked and can't find your post which says what happened to your hubby... but I hope everything gets better, whatever it is, and that you are both ok *warm, fluffy hugs* <3
  • Options
    AnarayneAnarayne Posts: 47 Member
    Same here, hope everything goes well for you and your hubby @bekkasan
  • Options
    8Faith88Faith8 Posts: 3,546 Member
    marcellala wrote: »
    We're so near to a thousand pages...unbelievable that we probably still won't have toddlers when we're there...

You never know. It could be introduced in a patch maybe. Plus, I think we are posting a little too fast for EA to introduce todds

Definitely celebrate a 1000 pages! I will bake the cake.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    So I found an interesting site of TS4 to TS2 conversions. If you want things like the baby bottle look of the Sims 4 into your Sims 2 game, you can get it here: http://ts4tots2conversions.tumblr.com/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    8Faith8 wrote: »
    marcellala wrote: »

You never know. It could be introduced in a patch maybe. Plus, I think we are posting a little too fast for EA to introduce todds

Definitely celebrate a 1000 pages! I will bake the cake.

I'm pretty certain by now that even if todds came back in a free update, it would be shortly before a generation EP and that this won't be the next one, so... I won't be happy about them arriving so late to be honest.
    I would like to be proven wrong by EA, though.
  • Options
    This makes me sad whenever the Sims is referred as a soap opera. But interesting article anyway: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/fans-creating-their-own-soap-operas-behind-the-success-of-the-sims-1.2261441 It briefly mentions generational game play in it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    http://www.thesims.com/news/break-the-rules?utm_campaign=sims4-social-us-ic-fb-ts4-clubsblog-082615-fb-prev-site-sust&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sourceid=sims4-social-us-ic-fb-ts4-clubsblog-082615-fb-prev-site-sust&cid=42571&ts=1440608437068&sf40112749=1

"Your Clubs can have 10 rules total (5 encouraged rules and 5 discouraged). We’re still tinkering with that number, but we think we found the sweet spot. If your Sim had 20 things they were trying to do, you wouldn’t be able to tell that they had a unique behavior. At that point, they just look like… normal Sims. This number lets you create unique Clubs that’ll lead to Sims doing things that will stand out and read as different and interesting."

More oversimplification, just like the three-trait limit that already dumbs down our Sims.
    I miss when Sims games had all the chess pieces. That's sad there is a limit for rules now. Then again that link made me even more confused what rules are even. Can you explain in a rules for dummies version?
  • Options
    dmel15dmel15 Posts: 572 Member
    http://www.thesims.com/news/break-the-rules?utm_campaign=sims4-social-us-ic-fb-ts4-clubsblog-082615-fb-prev-site-sust&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sourceid=sims4-social-us-ic-fb-ts4-clubsblog-082615-fb-prev-site-sust&cid=42571&ts=1440608437068&sf40112749=1

"Your Clubs can have 10 rules total (5 encouraged rules and 5 discouraged). We’re still tinkering with that number, but we think we found the sweet spot. If your Sim had 20 things they were trying to do, you wouldn’t be able to tell that they had a unique behavior. At that point, they just look like… normal Sims. This number lets you create unique Clubs that’ll lead to Sims doing things that will stand out and read as different and interesting."

More oversimplification, just like the three-trait limit that already dumbs down our Sims.

That's exactly what I thought S100Headache.
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    I kind of feel that this new "groups" thing is the kind of thing that we should have had in the base game to make up for all the vital stuff that was dropped. It has a degree of potential, but I won't be in a hurry to drop money on it as long as the base is so lacking :/ Maybe when it's been out for a while and I am feeling financially frivolous because it's on special...
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top