Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Cesal95Cesal95 Posts: 298 Member
    I love genetics too! :blush: I wanted to share this pic with you, I really like how the genetics work in TS3 <3

a0245abf-beb4-40ce-a8a5-999e7e0d5841_zpsqurjaeo6.jpg
    PoroLoL_zpset4qfym5.gif
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    I think I may have to cave in and try a pose pack. Such cool pics :)
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    I'm upset guys. I mean, I'm really upset about the Sims 4. It's actually making me angry. I can't even express my feelings in words because I'm not a good writer.

First, I'm upset about GTW. OFB was my favorite EP of all time, and I feel they didn't put forth the effort to make GTW live up to it's expectations. Especially when I saw that it was really AMB/OFB (more so AMB in my opinion).

GTW is missing features like shopping bags and cash registers, etc. But it just hit me when I read the tweet that we are never getting these things back. I have to, yet again, wait 5 years for another "real" OFB.

Second thing thats bugging me is the "goal" type gameplay (not sure what you call this kind of gameplay). It doesn't feel like the Sims. "Goals" or "Wishes" etc was always something on the side or just something that was a part of the Sims lives. Now it seems to be the base for the game. Why are there items locked in Buymode? Is this the new career reward system? I feel I have to work for everything now. The "emotions really bugging me!! :s the "emotions" are really really really annoying. I really hate the bold descriptions of the Sim's mood: FOCUS! HAPPY! SAD!

The suggested emotion for my Sim's career is "FOCUS!!!!". So it says "read a book" blah blah to get that emotion. I have her read a book but it takes like 3 hours to read it. Then she's hungry before she can finish and now she is "UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!". So I have her make something to eat, and that takes like 2 hours. Then she needs a shower so she is uncomfortable again. Now she is tired which means she's "TENSE!!!!" or I don't know maybe she is "UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!".

I'm now watching my Sim go through 50 emotions in one day. She is never stable. As soon as she has to pee/ or is hungry, (and the bar isn't even that low) shes uncomfortable/ or tense blah blah blah.

I prefer in the previous system when the Sims emotions weren't on display like it's a "wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man".

Sorry the emotions really annoy me. This game screams MMO. It's showing that they really didn't have a key feature for Sims 4 so they pretty much made "emotions" the "new" key feature. But really it's not new, and I think that really bothers me.

I don't know maybe I'm overly upset about it. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it is and I'm over thinking it. But I can't help but feel/see that there is something wrong with this game besides the fact it is missing family gameplay.

I mean I know it's already been discussed plenty of times but I have to say it again because it's really bothering me right now. I guess I need some comfort. :'(

Sorry. Again I'm not the best writer, so please ignore any typos.
    It's ok, you need to talk about it. Don't worry you are not the only one who has been disappointed or upset over the Sims 4. Don't feel bad about it. Plus you can always say zagadoo now. That really stinks about not getting shopping bags or cash registers. I mean I have heard it before. It's supposed to be part of the new vision that no Simmer in the community knows about. I honestly don't know what the Sims 4 is supposed to be anymore. It's like the mystery lollipop flavor of the series I guess is best way to describe it. It has no direction and no vision other than a mysterious one.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    @Goodywood I agree, this game really doesn't feel like a functional *sims* game. I highly doubt it'll get better, because it was set up as some online social game. It explains why there's goals and why it's lacking. As customers, we've all the right to be upset, I mean we spent 60$ on an unfinished game. Most of the packs are pretty disappointing, like GTW. What's the point of a doctor career when if your sim gets sick instead of going to a doctor, you just buy medicine from the computer?

We don't have a place to shop, or a school or any other rabbithole. I know rabbitholes seem pretty useless, but they serve a purpose and it makes our sim spend time and do *stuff*. Instead we get loading screens, boring and cramped maps, and useless family trees etc etc.

Like, why am I supposed to believe that this game will become a sims game? Besides hope, besides being lovers of the franchise, what makes us believe that it will get better? The gurus aren't helping at all with their silence :<
    @Goodywood I thought that was very well-written and expresses how many of us feel. You can actually unlock the career rewards with a cheat and buy them from the build/buy menu, but what really peeved me was that my sims had to BE IN THE CAREER to use the career rewards. So that nice science machine requires an active scientist as opposed to no requirements as we had in Sim 3 (and gave a science skill) and as opposed to no requirements in Sims 2 (and gave hobby enthusiasm).

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    Oh my gosh, Thank you so much guys. Reading your comments made me feel so much better. At least I know I'm not crazy for feeling this frustrated.

@Scobre Seriously! This game is like a mystery lollipop flavor!! Exactly. I just don't know whats going on. It's really making me frustrating. I don't know how to play this game. :(

@LaAbby You don't know how much I appreciate Sims 3 since Sims 4 release. The rabbitholes did serve a purpose. GTW could've been way better. Makes me so upset. :(
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
    @Goodywood I thought that was very well-written and expresses how many of us feel. You can actually unlock the career rewards with a cheat and buy them from the build/buy menu, but what really peeved me was that my sims had to BE IN THE CAREER to use the career rewards. So that nice science machine requires an active scientist as opposed to no requirements as we had in Sim 3 (and gave a science skill) and as opposed to no requirements in Sims 2 (and gave hobby enthusiasm).

@Frogprincess_q Just TOO MANY GOALS! This game is based on goals. Even the dating now. GOALS!
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
    Thanks guys again. I knew better than to make my own thread. I didn't feel like hearing sarcastic remarks and starting war. Hearing people say "DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT" Ugh! that one really burns me when I see people leave that when a simmer is upset about the game and leaves a heartfelt comment. Like it's really that easy to walk away from a game you've invested so much time and money into and grown to love. I now just come here if I'm feeling bad.

and @Frogprincess_q Thank you for the compliment. Does make me feel better. *hugs*

@Frogprincess_q Just TOO MANY GOALS! This game is based on goals. Even the dating now. GOALS!

It's one of the main reasons I don't play it anymore. I don't mind games with quests, but Sims for me has always been one of my sandbox games and to my mind the quests are not well done. They aren't particularly interesting the first time through, let alone the second time through. They are just "busy work" and bossy, imo.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg

It's one of the main reasons I don't play it anymore. I don't mind games with quests, but Sims for me has always been one of my sandbox games and to my mind the quests are not well done. They aren't particularly interesting the first time through, let alone the second time through. They are just "busy work" and bossy, imo.

Yep! Exactly how I feel @Frogprincess_q .

So sandbox basically means freewill to do what you want? I see that a lot on the forums. But yes, I want a sandbox game.
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    Goodywood, I feel just like you do. I've no idea what their vision is, but this is not a proper Sims game at all. Very sad and frustrating. At least this thread is a safe place to talk about the frustrations!

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
    Whats sad is I feel that we are ants to the Devs and our opinions means nothing to them. I feel there's nothing we can do to improve this game.

I mean I have to ask: Has a Guru ever commented in this thread? If so how many times?

Yep! Exactly how I feel @Frogprincess_q .

So sandbox basically means freewill to do what you want? I see that a lot on the forums. But yes, I want a sandbox game.

Pretty much, yes. Imagine being a child playing in a big box of sand. You can make up stories, build things, make a mess, whatever :) If someone stands next to the box of sand and says "build 3 sandcastles" it rather ruins the whole point of playing freely.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    Whats sad is I feel that we are ants to the Devs and our opinions means nothing to them. I feel there's nothing we can do to improve this game.

I mean I have to ask: Has a Guru ever commented in this thread? If so how many times?

We used to get the occasional Guru posting here, but not since maybe April?

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg

@Scobre Seriously! This game is like a mystery lollipop flavor!! Exactly. I just don't know whats going on. It's really making me frustrating. I don't know how to play this game. :(
    Yeah it's a mystery to me too. At least I'm getting into making CC again with it. How the hair is coding into the game is frustrating me though.

Anyway to cheer people up after reading the part of the interview with Rachel I thought this question was interesting that was asked, "I’ve read about people using The Sims to rehearse things they need to do in their own lives. Is the design team mindful of this?"

So what in any Sims game has inspired you or your family to do in real life?

For me, I was able to help my parents add an ADA addition to our house with figuring out it was cheaper to build a hallway than a full room. It inspired me to go to college and university and helped get me going to the gym again. I figure if my Sims can do it, why can't I?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I remember the impact that the original sims had on my first husband, when he didn't take proper care of his sims needs and they got too depressed to do anything. It was something he was prone to doing to himself as well and it helped him realise it wasn't a healthy way to live.

I also spent a lot of time contemplating psychology in Sim 2 terms, with aspiration needs and basic needs and how they are both important and debating whether I am primarily a knowledge sim or a family sim (I settled on knowledge with family as the secondary aspiration, although for a while I was worried about my RL tendency to turn into a grilled cheese sandwich sim at a moment's notice).

I consider it a darn shame that Sims moved away from using real psychology principles such as the Maslow Hierachy of Needs. Here is an interesting article I came across when I was looking for something about Will Wright and how he used psychology in the game design.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200310/the-sims-suburban-rhapsody

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    I remember the impact that the original sims had on my first husband, when he didn't take proper care of his sims needs and they got too depressed to do anything. It was something he was prone to doing to himself as well and it helped him realise it wasn't a healthy way to live.

I also spent a lot of time contemplating psychology in Sim 2 terms, with aspiration needs and basic needs and how they are both important and debating whether I am primarily a knowledge sim or a family sim (I settled on knowledge with family as the secondary aspiration, although for a while I was worried about my RL tendency to turn into a grilled cheese sandwich sim at a moment's notice).

I consider it a darn shame that Sims moved away from using real psychology principles such as the Maslow Hierachy of Needs. Here is an interesting article I came across when I was looking for something about Will Wright and how he used psychology in the game design.
    Aww that's nice it helped you and your husband out. LOL I loved that grilled cheese aspiration. They are supposed to be following those, but I'm just not seeing it in the Sims 4.
    edited August 2015
    Scobre wrote: »

Aww that's nice it helped you and your husband out. LOL I loved that grilled cheese aspiration. They are supposed to be following those, but I'm just not seeing it in the Sims 4.

I recall reading somewhere that Sims 4 team didn't use real psychology in the interest of more drama(?) It might have been from this interview, but dang it's long and I can't find a transcript :cry:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYMtwINXI

ETA: Yes, it was this one. About 2.45 min into the interview he asks if they consulted with psychologists and Lucy Bradshaw replies "Not really, because at the end of the day we are creating that drama".

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    I really wish that too, @trollnexus

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    It should be fun to play. When you feel upset, frustrated, stressed and bored with a game it's nothing wrong with you, it's the game that's wrong for you.

It seems they went too far with the emotions. I know a lot of simmers think the emotions was the best with TS4. But I don't like it that way. Too much of something and it's not fun imo. In the earlier sims games, the emotions were fun because they where balanced. You're the puppetmaster of the simulation, playing god, I micromanage my sims to a certain point, but I don't want to play Psychiatrist to get Sims in the mood to do things.

• DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    I wish we could turn off emotions. They 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off so much. Besides.... I don't care much about sims' emotions, I care more about my emotions towards the game, lol.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Cesal95 wrote: »
    I love genetics too! :blush: I wanted to share this pic with you, I really like how the genetics work in TS3 <3

Amazing picture :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    Cesal95 wrote: »

Whoa... that's awesome!!

Stop tempting me to reinstall TS3 lol!
    OJGRGDT.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top