Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    My dad plays banished and loves it. I am not expecting anything family related at Gamescon. I would love to be proven wrong. Basically anything less than a toddler announcement will confirm that the Sims 4 will remain a shallow single Sim side game to me. I will not wait forever for Maxis to actually listen to all of their Simmers rather than censored social media commments and Origin statistics. There is only so much talking to a wall communication I can handle before giving up and accepting the Sims 4 as yet another Maxis failure like how SimCity2013 was handled. I am finding out that even being active in the Sims community for the first time doesn't make any difference than not being active in it at all for 14 years. At least I met some cool people and fellow MTS regulars since joining an official Sims site. It is a shame forums are such a let down and ignored even more than the fan sites are. I guess I was naive in thinking Gurus even cared about forums. The silence makes it feel like they don't and never will.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    My dad plays banished and loves it. I am not expecting anything family related at Gamescon. I would love to be proven wrong. Basically anything less than a toddler announcement will confirm that the Sims 4 will remain a shallow single Sim side game to me. I will not wait forever for Maxis to actually listen to all of their Simmers rather than censored social media commments and Origin statistics. There is only so much talking to a wall communication I can handle before giving up and accepting the Sims 4 as yet another Maxis failure like how SimCity2013 was handled. I am finding out that even being active in the Sims community for the first time doesn't make any difference than not being active in it at all for 14 years. At least I met some cool people and fellow MTS regulars since joining an official Sims site. It is a shame forums are such a let down and ignored even more than the fan sites are. I guess I was naive in thinking Gurus even cared about forums. The silence makes it feel like they don't and never will.

Yeah, it really feels like that.

But there are indeed amazing people in this community. I met some awesome people too. It's always nice to get to know some people sharing the same interests and play styles. ^^
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited June 2015
    Slyvanas wrote: »
    Thanks Everyone for wishing me luck hahahah. I think my poor sims will need it more than I will. Calleigh is in the business career - She is a CEO but her job performance is always slacking cause she can never find enough time to hold meetings like she should and that was with just one child and two pets XD.
    @ULIBABA66 There are mods that you can instal that gives you're infant's hair - and clothing and even a non default skintone. Just do a google search for sims 3 infant clothing. Here is the hair mod I used http://mysims3blog.blogspot.com/2013/10/little-wisps-hair-for-babies-by.html that creator also have a lot of the infant clothing I was referring to as well.
    @sparkfairy1 I definitely agree that It will be a challenge! I just never thought that one percent on the woohooer would work haha.

@marcellala I think that is fantastic that you are going to Gamescom. Even if EA dissapoints us with their news I hope you and you're boyfriend have a blast. I've always wanted to go to Blizzcon So hopefully one of these days I get to experience that as well

@Tremayne4260 I really like the things Bioware is doing and I have to agree they are listening.. I'm not sure if you're big on star wars but Star Wars the old republic is coming out with a new expansion - and even though Bioware isn't the only company who is behind that game - It seems like even with that game they listened to the fan base on what people wanted.

Your game should be very interesting, to say the least!

Does anyone remember "OctoMom"? You can probably search for it on your browser if you don't. The last game I played for any length of time in TS2 (up until TS3 came out) was a sim living with her parents who had two toddlers then gets pregnant with eight babies (all using mods, of course). That game was some of the most fun I have ever had playing Sims! She would hire a Nanny and Grandma would hire a Nanny and both Nannies would end up passing out from trying to care for so many babies. It was nonstop chaos. One time the mama sim had a Grimm thought bubble and I took that to mean that she thought she was gonna die. LOL

@missmani09, glad to hear you have your laptop back and have fun!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    rudy8292 wrote: »

But there are indeed amazing people in this community. I met some awesome people too. It's always nice to get to know some people sharing the same interests and play styles. ^^
    Yeah there really are cool people and I love talking about my favorite play styles ith Simmers too.

@HappySimmer3 I know of Octomom and man she is one lady thag should have never had kids. A Sim version of her would make for some interesting stories. I wonder if anyone made the Duggar family before? I wish I could make the Little Couple. I adore those kids and one day I hope there will be a height slider for Sims. Even my Simself has always looked too tall. Does taking care of 10 babies at once in the Sims 4 count as an Octomom type of scenario?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,555 Member
    @Scobre 10 babies in TS4 would be a piece of cake lol...

I used to play the 7 toddler challenge in TS2 (7 toddlers made in CAS, one adult to look after them). That was chaos! That one poor adult was always so relieved when they all grew up, if you made it that far lol. I tried it in TS3 once, but it was much easier.

I wish they didn't make the games easier for us. Everything is just a piece of cake now :(
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @Scobre 10 babies in TS4 would be a piece of cake lol...

I used to play the 7 toddler challenge in TS2 (7 toddlers made in CAS, one adult to look after them). That was chaos! That one poor adult was always so relieved when they all grew up, if you made it that far lol. I tried it in TS3 once, but it was much easier.

I wish they didn't make the games easier for us. Everything is just a piece of cake now :(
    It actually is, but the crying made me mute the sound. Hearing 10 babies and my own baby nephew cry at once was too much to handle. :cold_sweat: Doing ten babies helped me figure out that taking care of babies is as easy as the Sims 1 ones. Both can use the same feed and comfort two interactions to put them asleep. The sound of babies I am happy to say is realistic. I just wish the actual gameplay was that realistic. Going back to Sims 1 baby objects again is disappointing. I want to be able to take babies everwhere again or at least around the neighborhood section.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hi everyone :)
    I am currently in my grandparents' house. I'm eating lunch in the living room, while the elder people with their guests are in the kitchen :)
    I am so tired of this situation. There are people who love The Sims 4, others who are the exact opposite, and the middle people who aren't sure whether they like the game or not. I wish this would change, to be honest. I am sad how some people have the need to ask if they can like the game or not. We need big changes to this issue as soon as possible. I am not that excited for Gamescom, as I wasn't for E3 either (since The Sims 4 wasn't there). There are some "monster" games like GTA and Battlefield that overshadow The Sims games. I hated how The Sims 3 with its expansions got ignored by many game sites, gamers and critics. I wish everyone would appreciate The Sims series as a whole, and not ignore it :( we all love our little Sims, don't we? :)
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Yeah, Cities Skylines is cool if you like city building games. I bought it, though I have only played 28 hrs so far. It is certainly no substitute for a good sims game :( I actually prefer playing Banished to Cities Skylines, it seems more 'in there' amongst the population (it's a medieval type of 'city' building game).

I love banished as well. Too bad its devs aren't working on a 2nd one. :(
    I guess I’m not too surprised there isn’t a Banished 2 in development at this point, considering there is only the one dev working on Banished—I read somewhere that it took the guy 3 years or so to create by himself—and it was released little more than year ago. Plus, I think the original game still has a lot of possibilities left to explore (either with expansions or efforts from the modding community) without needing to start over with a sequel just yet. Of course, Luke may choose to create other new games rather than make another Banished game, but I’d still be interested in checking out his future work—I’m pretty impressed with what he’s managed to accomplish alone with this game.

Trying to get back on topic now, lol. But honestly, it’s difficult to say much about TS4 that hasn’t been said a million times before. :/

Basically, it comes to this: I wish the devs would break their “silence policy” and communicate more on this site about what the community can expect for the future of TS4, although given past practice I don’t expect that they will. I would also hope that they are seriously considering adding toddlers and other more family-friendly features in the near future, but given the silence we can only speculate about what may or may not happen in that regard. Granted, I don’t see that even including things like toddlers (one of my main initial concerns pre-launch and a major reason I chose not to purchase following the free trial) will ever make the game worthwhile for me; there are currently too many other game issues and additional barriers that I cannot overlook. Given all the hours of entertainment The Sims games on both PC and console have provided me with in past years, that has not been an easy thing for me to acknowledge, but it is the unfortunate reality.

However, I do support those who have already purchased the game and feel that the addition of toddlers and meaningful family play aspects will improve the game enough to make it enjoyable for them, and also those who feel that those additions will allow them to finally opt in. I want to see this happen because I love this franchise, even though this particular game is not for me. It’s painful to see that so many people, who have spent countless hours campaigning for inclusion and offering such extensive and detailed feedback, are still feeling slighted and ignored. This community has lost a lot of wonderful, helpful, and creative members due to disappointment and frustration over feeling they are not making progress, whether towards recovering features and life stages, getting fixes for unresolved bugs, etc. Yes, development and fixes do take time, but during that waiting period, honest and forthright communication could go a long way. I feel this silence policy is at odds with the “player first culture” EA’s CEO wants to re-establish. Wilson has been quoted as saying, “Every person at EA has to accept responsibility for deepening and nurturing the relationship with the player.” I’m not sure how that sort of relationship can ever come about when the devs go silent, but it is a relationship that you all deserve to have.

Happy simming to all; I'm off to lose myself in the depths of TS2. <3
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    starguru wrote: »
    Yeah, Cities Skylines is cool if you like city building games. I bought it, though I have only played 28 hrs so far. It is certainly no substitute for a good sims game :( I actually prefer playing Banished to Cities Skylines, it seems more 'in there' amongst the population (it's a medieval type of 'city' building game).

I love banished as well. Too bad its devs aren't working on a 2nd one. :(
    I guess I’m not too surprised there isn’t a Banished 2 in development at this point, considering there is only the one dev working on Banished—I read somewhere that it took the guy 3 years or so to create by himself—and it was released little more than year ago. Plus, I think the original game still has a lot of possibilities left to explore (either with expansions or efforts from the modding community) without needing to start over with a sequel just yet. Of course, Luke may choose to create other new games rather than make another Banished game, but I’d still be interested in checking out his future work—I’m pretty impressed with what he’s managed to accomplish alone with this game.

Trying to get back on topic now, lol. But honestly, it’s difficult to say much about TS4 that hasn’t been said a million times before. :/

Basically, it comes to this: I wish the devs would break their “silence policy” and communicate more on this site about what the community can expect for the future of TS4, although given past practice I don’t expect that they will. I would also hope that they are seriously considering adding toddlers and other more family-friendly features in the near future, but given the silence we can only speculate about what may or may not happen in that regard. Granted, I don’t see that even including things like toddlers (one of my main initial concerns pre-launch and a major reason I chose not to purchase following the free trial) will ever make the game worthwhile for me; there are currently too many other game issues and additional barriers that I cannot overlook. Given all the hours of entertainment The Sims games on both PC and console have provided me with in past years, that has not been an easy thing for me to acknowledge, but it is the unfortunate reality.

However, I do support those who have already purchased the game and feel that the addition of toddlers and meaningful family play aspects will improve the game enough to make it enjoyable for them, and also those who feel that those additions will allow them to finally opt in. I want to see this happen because I love this franchise, even though this particular game is not for me. It’s painful to see that so many people, who have spent countless hours campaigning for inclusion and offering such extensive and detailed feedback, are still feeling slighted and ignored. This community has lost a lot of wonderful, helpful, and creative members due to disappointment and frustration over feeling they are not making progress, whether towards recovering features and life stages, getting fixes for unresolved bugs, etc. Yes, development and fixes do take time, but during that waiting period, honest and forthright communication could go a long way. I feel this silence policy is at odds with the “player first culture” EA’s CEO wants to re-establish. Wilson has been quoted as saying, “Every person at EA has to accept responsibility for deepening and nurturing the relationship with the player.” I’m not sure how that sort of relationship can ever come about when the devs go silent, but it is a relationship that you all deserve to have.

Happy simming to all; I'm off to lose myself in the depths of TS2. <3

Thank you lovely <3 I totally agree. Every single customer should feel valued because people have taken lots of time out of their lives to help EA. There aren't many products that evoke such loyalty and passion. It's a gift to EA, and it's foolish of them to allow people to feel so let down, slighted and variations of anger and sadness.

I'm still a newbie. I only really started posting after TS4 release and despite the nastiness within some areas of the community I believe, as a whole, simmers are wonderful and creative people and I'm glad to have met some very kind people :)

I don't care which play style people come from-my position is everyone should be catered to with the tools they need to play their way-and that's the mark of a truly great sims game. We don't need to be spoonfed how to play because the sims is a creative tool for us to escape into a craft our own little sims universe.

I hope *someone* at EA wakes up. If they don't I fear for the future of the sims, and other beloved Maxis titles. Simulation games are special, and should be treated with the same reverence because it's what they deserve.
  • Options
    missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    starguru wrote: »
    It’s painful to see that so many people, who have spent countless hours campaigning for inclusion and offering such extensive and detailed feedback, are still feeling slighted and ignored. This community has lost a lot of wonderful, helpful, and creative members due to disappointment and frustration over feeling they are not making progress, whether towards recovering features and life stages, getting fixes for unresolved bugs, etc. Yes, development and fixes do take time, but during that waiting period, honest and forthright communication could go a long way. I feel this silence policy is at odds with the “player first culture” EA’s CEO wants to re-establish. Wilson has been quoted as saying, “Every person at EA has to accept responsibility for deepening and nurturing the relationship with the player.” I’m not sure how that sort of relationship can ever come about when the devs go silent, but it is a relationship that you all deserve to have.

Sigh. <3
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • Options
    I've been skimming thru other threads.
    Off topic but did they really take alien abduction out of TS4 via patch ? (I hated aliens in all of the games actually, but just curious.)
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    missmani09 wrote: »
    I've been skimming thru other threads.
    Off topic but did they really take alien abduction out of TS4 via patch ? (I hated aliens in all of the games actually, but just curious.)

As far as I know: they did not take it out, they just reduced the frequency of abductions ;)
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I finally have a good example of reaction to death. All three sisters (one is a visitor) reacting to mom's death:
    250usyg.jpg

I just don't get why reactions are such a hit and miss in this game. There also should be a special moodlet for the death of parents or children. "Special someone" just doesn't describe it right and there is one special for a widow, why not for the rest?
  • Options
    RosillatrixRosillatrix Posts: 60 Member
    I have to agree with this thread. The "loss" of toddlers in the Sims 4 makes the game a little bit less enjoyable for those who love playing as families. However, the creators of the Sims 4 must have had waaaaaaay too much content put into the game (i.e. our moods, emotions, new skills, etc.) that they did not have room or time to put in toddlers. BUT, I do think that in the future they should add toddlers in an update because it's weird having a baby and then it has a birthday and instantly turns into a child.
    Origin Username: Rosillatrix
  • Options
    marcellala wrote: »
    I finally have a good example of reaction to death. All three sisters (one is a visitor) reacting to mom's death:
    250usyg.jpg

I just don't get why reactions are such a hit and miss in this game. There also should be a special moodlet for the death of parents or children. "Special someone" just doesn't describe it right and there is one special for a widow, why not for the rest?
    Yeah reactions are weird. There is actually an area of effect I was testing be with the baby crying to see at which point the Sim would actually notice the baby crying. It is really small compared to past Sims games and I want to say about five Sim steps away from the Sim's original starting point. I tested it with deaths andit about the same distance. It is pretty sad I guess noticing little MMO features like that in my Sims game. I think it might have been designed that way because of emotions. But I still prefer having the full lot reactions previous Sims games had. It is really easy for a Sim to cheat and get away with it in this game.
  • Options
    TiffanyLea007TiffanyLea007 Posts: 1,068 Member
    250usyg.jpg

I'm sorry I don't want my sims to die from emotions. Unless maybe they are elderly and they die after their elder.y spouse.
  • Options
    250usyg.jpg

I'm sorry I don't want my sims to die from emotions. Unless maybe they are elderly and they die after their elder.y spouse.

I don't mean a special death. I mean a special sad moodlet. The sim in the picture died from old age. i think kids or parents should be even sadder when they witness family die instead of just any friend.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

Yeah there really are cool people and I love talking about my favorite play styles ith Simmers too.

@HappySimmer3 I know of Octomom and man she is one lady thag should have never had kids. A Sim version of her would make for some interesting stories. I wonder if anyone made the Duggar family before? I wish I could make the Little Couple. I adore those kids and one day I hope there will be a height slider for Sims. Even my Simself has always looked too tall. Does taking care of 10 babies at once in the Sims 4 count as an Octomom type of scenario?

Here you go, @scobre;

LittlePerson3_zps8578b289.jpg

LittlePerson2_zps61277c13.jpg

Obviously the teen sim was glitched but I thought it was hilarious. :D

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    @HappySimmer3 Nothing can look as creepy as this
    atm73q.png
    Another example for why we need toddlers!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    250usyg.jpg

That would be so Cute if elders could die from missing their loved one.

I was just thinkin... emotional deaths wouldn't be As bad if when a Sim died from laughter or embarrassment they would ALWAYS be revived and then maybe have a "hysterical" or "embarrassed "moodlet for a couple of hours after they are brought back to life by the grim.

Ugh. I hate TS4 emotions. :/
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,555 Member
    You probably don't remember my escapade with Barry in Lucky Palms, it was about 10 days ago now... anyway, Barry was the guy who fell instantly in love with his boss's wife. Today he tried to pursue that love...

A little bit of flirty play-time together:
    Screenshot-8.jpg

Some romantic roses:
    Screenshot-13.jpg

And then the anger after he went in for a heat-of-the-moment kiss:
    Screenshot-14.jpg

Poor Barry. He was very depressed after she stormed out of his house. The day after, heart broken, he decided to risk taking his kids through the mysterious time-travel portal and see what the future held:
    Screenshot-27.jpg

I wonder what will happen to them there?...
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hey all, I just came by to show those were interested in seeing how Calleigh's kids are doing. I have to photos of them. Sorry for the lack luster posing skills.. but I am still learning haha:
    pcFYYs4.png

This one was taken soon as the "photoshot" was done
    nC36h1f.jpg

Poor Marcelo.. I wondered why he closed his eyes haha. He grows up in one day. Least I will have a teen around to help with the toddlers.. cause poor Calleigh and her wife.. They start the bed routine around 8pm for the toddlers and literally they do not get to go to bed theirself until like 4am LOL and then they hardly get sleep cause their carpool comes around 6 in the morning.

@elanorbreton I hope Barry can find true love in the future. Sometimes you need to go to another dimension to find it.
    and everyone who is talking about Banished. I loveee that game! I hardly play it now cause my ex and I used to play it a lot. have little challenges and what not. But, yeah.. now it brings back memories so haven't touched it in quite a bit sadly.
    Post edited by Slyvanas on
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited June 2015
    250usyg.jpg

I don't mean a special death. I mean a special sad moodlet. The sim in the picture died from old age. i think kids or parents should be even sadder when they witness family die instead of just any friend.

Once my Sims dad died right in front of her, and she just walked of and kissed her boyfriend. Then once my Sims wife had a baby, he was supposedly "Happy" about becoming a father, and expressed his love for his daughter by going to eat some mac and cheese when she was 2 Sim hours old. I had to force him to go and spend time with her despite him having a happy moodlet. He didn't even attempt to look after her. I hate how parents react to the birth of their kids the same way their friends or extended family do.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @slyvanas Your babies are cute. Love the expression of Elso looking at Demetrio in the bottom pic.

@elanorbreton Aww...I hope Barry has better luck in the future! :)
  • Options
    250usyg.jpg

Once my Sims dad died right in front of her, and she just walked of and kissed her boyfriend. Then once my Sims wife had a baby, he was supposedly "Happy" about becoming a father, and expressed his love for his daughter by going to eat some mac and cheese when she was 2 Sim hours old. I had to force him to go and spend time with her despite him having a happy moodlet. He didn't even attempt to look after her. I hate how parents react to the birth of their kids the same way their friends or extended family do.

I actually have a very good experience with how they care for babies. Maybe they tweaked it? For example, my legacy heir had a baby at the hospital and than i was sent home and her sister was their holding the baby already once it loaded the lot.
    But reaction to death is really broken sometimes. Moodlets also don't change behaviour, just their emotion and you're right, that's plummy.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top