Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    Good deal thanks @BryonyRae
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    I have a problem with dissappearing walls??? I'm afraid I'm unable to posts pictures. Some part of the wall dissappears, and it doesn't matter whether I put the walls up or down or half down. And doesn't seem to go away after re loading lot or game. Does anyone else have this problem?? :)
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Yes, it's a new bug since the patch @TheBristolSimmer. You can read more about the bug and workarounds for it here.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    @BryonyRae Thank you for all the build testing and info. Checking this thread is part of my daily routine. :smile:
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Yes, it's a new bug since the patch @TheBristolSimmer. You can read more about the bug and workarounds for it here.

Thanks! xoxo
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    You're very welcome @sooozeeebee, glad it helps. :)
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    A good patch for us today! Maxis added the ability to set lighting colors and intensities by room as well as individually or by lot. I have tested this, and it works. :) I do want to note that the bug where placing a lot from Manage Worlds removes light colors and intensities was *not* fixed. It is still best to place lots in build mode.

When it comes to bug fixes, we have a couple that we really needed:
    • "Curtains will now appear properly lit depending upon their interior or exterior placement, rather than as a result of the orientation of the window they are placed upon." <-- This does appear to be fixed, but half wall trims and open story flooring still glows, as well as any trim you might apply to it. I would like to get feedback from other builders as to what they're seeing in their games with regard to these lighting issues before I mark anything fixed though. I also want to note that while the curtains no longer glow, I think there may still be more tuning to do on the lighting. This is an issue when you've got multiple windows relatively near to each other, but I'll describe it in a future post.
    • "We fixed an issue that resulted in see through walls. This had to do with the wallpaper disagreeing with the visibility state of the wall, and thus turning itself and the resulting part of the wall invisible." <-- It indeed appears to be fixed. I tested the Villareal lot in Windenburg that originally had the problem and it no longer does. However, I would again like to get builder feedback as to whether this is fixed in your games.

There was another fix regarding rug stacking, so that the proper order for stacked rugs will be retained on a non-played lot now. I was not even aware of that issue but can confirm it is fixed. However, the rug stacking issues we have with lots placed from Manage Worlds and with room placement have not been addressed.

That was all that was in the patch notes, and I'm not inclined to do additional testing unless I hear of additional fixes/additions. Please do let me know if you spot something else that is new/fixed/broken.
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I also have some feedback from gurus regarding our "Bug vs. Feature" questions that we've had on the list for a while. It is great to have answers on these now!
    • Some doors and windows have a color swatch that applies to only one side (see pg. 6) <-- as designed
    • The "Simple Glass Double Door" has nothing glass about it (see pg. 6). Is it simply misnamed? <-- the names on these doors have been changed, and there is no longer a "glass" in the title
    • The two windows with shutters on either side have different costs (see pg. 9) <-- as designed
    • Glacemaster 1700C window is much cheaper than smaller similar windows (see pg. 10) <-- as designed
    • Ceiling too low (see pg. 11) <-- I am having further conversations on this one, as my original description wasn't the greatest
    • Buenaventura column changes shape when placed in the corner of a room (see pg. 14) - I actually like this functionality; wouldn't mind it extended to other columns. <-- probably a bug, but they will leave it as-is if we like it ;)
    • Is the Fence for Window Shopping missing its glass component? (see pg. 14) <-- no, just a little confusion with the text, it's as designed
    • Placing the half hipped, gabled, or half gabled roofing with its inner edge against a fence will cause the portion of the fence next to it to disappear (see pg. 16) <-- as designed
    • Roofs, when placed above areas not designated as rooms, do not have bottoms (see pg. 16) <-- as designed, to support the creation of attic spaces. Builder can place a flat to create flooring if desired.
    • Roof wall style overrides interior room wall style when a roof (gable, half gable, or half hip) is placed adjacent to the room and its height is raised above room level (see pg. 22) <-- they know about this issue but have never found an effective way to fix it, so it will likely remain
    • Certain doors that appear like they should allow in a good amount of light barely let in any (see pg 55) <-- has to do with certain door models, and the affected doors would have to be remodeled, so probably not likely to change
    • Choosing "Show Owned" filter in the Gallery does not prevent unowned content from appearing if owned content is also part of the creation. <-- they are going to discuss this further

They also commented on a few bugs:
    • Stairs can clip with fences placed at the bottom <-- they know about this, but it is too difficult to resolve for every position stairs and fences might intersect
    • Walls that meet fences don’t form a nice point like regular walls do <-- they know about it, but it's not likely to be changed
    • Diagonal wall patterns are stretched <-- as designed

I am going to leave the items that are acknowledged as known issues on the list, even though they very likely will not be addressed. I want people to be able to see that we (and the gurus) are aware of them, and you never know, maybe someday... :)
  • Options
    I have been following a thread on insect spawners, and acording to @SimGuruModSquad after the last patch we should be able to use them in our builds now. Not sure if it is just the insects, since that was the main topic, or if other spawners are available as well. Not sure how to find them and if it will be in debug or take more computer and game savy knowledge. Hopefully it wont require a mod. Couldnt remember if spawners were on "the list".
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    •The "Simple Glass Double Door" has nothing glass about it (see pg. 6). Is it simply misnamed? <-- the names on these doors have been changed, and there is no longer a "glass" in the title

Well I hope they changed the name to "two very ugly blue doors that match nothing else". I'm not a happy camper. :(

• Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    I know that it is probably not fixable, but the trees clipping through walls drives me nuts. There are times when I want to place a tree a little closer to the buildings, but the clipping looks terrible so I don't do it. The completely arbitrary restrictions for placing objects on surfaces can get frustrating as well. Decorative objects should be able to go on any flat surface that is big enough to hold them, but trying to match a flower pot with a table can be infuriating at times. I try not to use MOO because I want my builds to be downloadable and usable for anyone. Sorry for getting slightly off topic.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'd like to request a new functionality option on lights. - I guess this is technically Live mode, but it's still a build feature.

Set/Unset as nightlight. This light would then follow the behaviours of the anti-monster nightlight, but would allow more choice of lighting. You could also unset the anti-monster light and use it as a regular wall light.

Also a blacklight/UV light in the colour options, for nightclubs etc for brightly glowing whites and neons (I don't think one exists so far?)
  • Options
    StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    edited July 2016
    So I noticed that when I used the white versions of the Triumphant Textiles curtains, they stayed white on the windows until I changed the time of day to night and then they turned a vivid purple. I was able to fix that by placing the curtains first and then the window. Now they are white at all times of day.

Edit: I thought the issue might have been with the CC lighting I was using, which broke with the new patch but was subsequently fixed by the CC creator. I tried placing the curtains on another set of windows in the house with the same CC lights, but this time the curtains stayed white at every time of day. So I don't know what the problem was before!
    Post edited by StSciurus on
  • Options
    jonathan_cedronejonathan_cedrone Posts: 1 New Member
    Not sure if anyone else has gotten this issue, but after the most recent patch, I can no longer place any ceiling lights. Additionally, all those that had originally been placed have been removed. This goes for both custom content lights and EA lights. When trying to place the lighting, I receive the error message: "script call failed" in red. Anyone else with me?
  • Options
    @jonathan_cedrone It is likely that the patch broke your CC lights. The patch added new functionality to lights, and the CC lights probably need to be updated to account for it. I would temporarily remove mods/CC from your game, clear your cache, and repair the game (via Origin) to see if you still experience the issue.

@StSciurus yeah, I'm not seeing a problem with those curtains regardless of time of day, so I would imagine it was your CC.

I'll add your requests @EmmaVane. :)

@meubanks Pretty much any object will clip through a wall if it is placed close enough to it, so I think this is behavior they would have to change on a global basis and thus isn't very likely. You might try enlarging the tree perhaps, so that its branches/leaves would be above the interior height... Yes, I know what you mean about surface slots and objects that look like they should fit on them but don't. MOO really is your friend in such cases. It is very stable at this point and as long as you playtest, I think you'll find that MOOing items on shelves and other surfaces will not cause any problems. Also, you'll still see a lot of builders who use MOO warning people that they must turn it on, but this isn't the case and hasn't been for some time. People do not need the cheat in order to use your build as designed. :)

Sorry @sawdust, I thought you might not be. =/

@sooozeeebeee so I looked through debug (where I'd expect to find them) pretty carefully, and I didn't see any spawners. I don't believe spawners were on the list. Let's see if @SimGuruModSquad might respond to let us know where we can find them if they're available.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    It sure would have been nice if they made the bug spawners show up in at least the debug catalog as a twig or a rock or something so we dont have to create a CC object to place and use them. I cant believe I want to actually place bugs in my game - who'da thunk.

Can you ask the gurus whats the column and light limit now? Per area, per room and or per lot.

Can the butterfly wall deco be made to free rotate off wall like everything else can?

Can all the fish tanks allow for the purchase of all the fish? Those nice dine out tanks still only carry fish for eating, which is cool and all but..but...I want pretty fish! (I know how to transfer them with two tanks one at a time, but ugh)

Please and thanks!

*by the way loving the new change outfit on sim option menu, thats pretty snazzy, and debug clear marriages? omg thank you!!!!!
    Post edited by Nectere on
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    Is there a limit for specific objects @Nectere? I wasn't aware of that. I just assumed that at some point, depending upon a person's computer, adding too much stuff to a lot would cause the game to bog down, maybe freeze/crash. I know that my computer (which is relatively new and has a good graphics card) has had trouble with some of the more massive gallery builds. Perhaps @SimGuruNick or @SimGuruArvin could answer your question.

Most wall décor does not rotate freely off-wall; you have to use < or > to rotate it. We have requested that this be changed.

Thank you very much @rosemow; I'm sure that will help a lot of people. :)
  • Options
    @BryonyRae I run into issues with large buildings where there are many columns, it used to be that the game would just start randomly deleting them once you hit the limit, w/e that limit was. Since this latest patch however I think the limit is both deleting them and making them distorted, I havent figured out the rhyme or reason yet nor have I really set about counting the columns in a build. I noticed too that spandrels can also be affected by whatever this limit is on the amount. I say amount because thats the only pattern I can find. The distortion that is occurring for me is they refuse to go the proper height, like they are half as tall as they should be. As to the limit on lights, the game just randomly deletes them at what seems like a limit point. Things are there, then they are not there.

Rambling on with TLDR: It just appears that there seems to be a limit to the number of items before the game starts randomly deleting said items and it seems to mostly affect columns and lights.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    So I had this peculiar issue come up when I used the jutting exterior trim on the inside of a restaurant I'm working on:

mxvwFyl.png

I don't suppose I mind it all that much, but I wonder if it happens because the trim is inside instead of outside.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Ok I thought it was just a particular build I was working on, but since the patch every time I swing my camera around in windenburg harbor, no matter what I am working on, like to rotate around a build or lot or just in general the game crashes. The game is not liking something to do with swinging the camera around too fast or something and I can only guess its getting overloaded and crashing? if anyone wants the lastcrash report lemme know. Its getting to the point I have to save before I move the camera, which is constant.

Windows 8.1 6.3.9600 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Whoa whoa whoa - Ok - so did they change it so you cant drag dishes to clean on community lots? or a fridge?

Also: The gardener while I am happy to report is showing up like they are supposed to, still every time I load the lot I am charged, and then the gardener shows up and charges the household again.
    Post edited by Nectere on
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    @Nectere regarding your crashes, I would create a post over in the Technical forum. You're much more likely to get the type of help you need with that there. All I can tell you is that I have not experienced that type of crash from camera motion in Windenburg in my game. As for your other two issues, I don't play enough to answer them, but perhaps someone else who frequents the thread can. If not, I'd actually ask about them in the Bugs forum.
  • Options
    @StSciurus I tried to duplicate your structure, but I'm not getting the black corners on the trim. Is there any chance you might share this build as a "Test Graphics Bug" (or whatever name you like) on the Gallery?
  • Options
    sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    @Nectere I've always had a problem when swinging the camera round too quickly no matter what lot I am on. It has only ever crashed on me once but I do normally experience bad lagging and have to wait 5 to 10 seconds for things to catch up.

@StSciurus Is there any chance you have a mod or CC in the game that might be interfering?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Did some game testing and Granite Falls Insect Spawners are stable and can now be used on lots since the last patch without needing to use a mod. They function the same way they do in Granite Falls. I used the objects.gsi_create_obj cheat to spawn the spawners. Where ever your sim is standing when the code is entered is where the spawner will generate. Spawners can be layered, but I forgot I had MOO activated at the time and dont know if that effected the result. Weird and cool seeing so many insects at the same time. WARNING, the spawner itself is invisible and you can not move it. I placed a pool over a spawner and was able to delete the spawner that way when I deleted the pool. The sledgehammer will only delete the currently visible insects, but they will be back. Insects can take several Sim hours to appear for the first time depending on time of day, type of insects etc. Spawners can NOT be generated inside a building, room, or on floor tiles. I uploaded my test lot, but I doubt that the spawners will survive the gallery, but you never know. Need some input on it if anyone downloads it. Under sooozeeebeee. Shouldn't be hard to find. It is huge, sorry, needed the space. I will put this info on Rosemow's build page too.

Granite Falls Insect Spawner Id's
    0x00000000000107EB spawns Fire Ants, Jezebel Butterflies, Ladybugs and Bees
    0x00000000000107EC spawns Stinkbugs, Katydids and Termites
    0x00000000000107ED spawns Blue Morpho Butterflies and Luna Moths
    0x00000000000107EE spawns Dragon Dragonfly (thought I did it wrong at first, spawns every 48 hrs at 10:30 AM in my game)
    0x00000000000107EF spawns Dragonflies
    0x00000000000107F0 spawns Fireflies
    0x00000000000107F1 spawns Mosquitoes
    0x00000000000107F2 spawns Rainbow Fireflies
    0x00000000000107F3 spawns Dust Sprites and Rainbow Fireflies
    0x00000000000107F4 spawns Monarch Butterflies, Mantes and Locusts
    0x00000000000107F5 spawns Jewel Beatles and Walking Sticks
    0x00000000000107F6 spawns Wisp

Post edited by sooozeeebeee on