Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Sales figures according to VGChartz

Comments

• Options
    EmeraldLadyEmeraldLady Posts: 46 Member
    That number is NOT from VG, because I'm not a sheep.
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited September 2014
    Trick wrote: »
    If the Sims 4 sold almost half a million in 4 days, it would've AT LEAST gotten close to 1 million in one FULL week.

Sims 3 numbers, from the same source, came nowhere near 1 million its first week (well, four days also).

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39971/Global/

@Trick:the 1.4 million figure came from an EA announcement- http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31194133/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/sims-sells-million-copies-first-week/#.VBzNz_ldXvs

@mulboro: I agree, you have to use the same source. Let's use EA- they announced the 1.4 million figure for TS3, but it is inconsistent of them to claim that they do not release sales figures for specific games with regards to TS4 in this recent article (http://business.financialpost.com/2014/09/02/electronic-arts-the-sims-4-aims-to-prove-theres-still-a-market-for-pricey-pc-based-life-simulators/?__lsa=1b37-9a83)
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Ahh VGchartz, when will you get it right xD
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited September 2014
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    If we don't stop complaining, Sims 5 will be five crayons and a notepad. Be happy and accept your fate!

beatings.jpg

there won't even be a Sims 5 and even if there was the same bunch will whine Sims 4 was better ... blah blah blah ...

ma'am i am sorry i won't cry anymore
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    If we don't stop complaining, Sims 5 will be five crayons and a notepad. Be happy and accept your fate!

beatings.jpg

there won't even be a Sims 5 and even if there was the same bunch will whine Sims 4 was better ... blah blah blah ...

Mam i am sorry i won't cry anymore

It's ok, you can use my shoulder and I won't tell you that crying is bad *hugs Krayzie*
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Crackseed wrote: »

beatings.jpg

Mam i am sorry i won't cry anymore

It's ok, you can use my shoulder and I won't tell you that crying is bad *hugs Krayzie*

She hate us complainer why what did i do wrong to her ! *cry*
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    If the Sims 4 sold almost half a million in 4 days, it would've AT LEAST gotten close to 1 million in one FULL week.

Sims 3 numbers, from the same source, came nowhere near 1 million its first week (well, four days also).

@Trick:the 1.4 million figure came from an EA announcement- http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31194133/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/sims-sells-million-copies-first-week/#.VBzNz_ldXvs

@mulboro: I agree, you have to use the same source. Let's use EA- they announced the 1.4 million figure for TS3, but it is inconsistent of them to claim that they do not release sales figures for specific games with regards to TS4 in this recent article (http://business.financialpost.com/2014/09/02/electronic-arts-the-sims-4-aims-to-prove-theres-still-a-market-for-pricey-pc-based-life-simulators/?__lsa=1b37-9a83)

Well, to be fair, any company that doesn't capitalize on being able to boast that they've broken their own records for sales is handling their marketing wrong. So them announcing that in an article makes sense. Also, someone else mentioned (maybe it was @Trick?) that EA's quarterly report came out about a week after TS3 was released so it would have been public information by then anyway.

As for the second article, it needs to be burned with fire. The notice at the top of the article has improper grammar that makes it look like TS4 has sold 175 million copies, they use VgChartz as a source and they talk about women and gaming in a rather derogatory manner. Someone posted the article link previously and we had an interesting discussion about how irritating and inaccurate that article was.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

Well, to be fair, any company that doesn't capitalize on being able to boast that they've broken their own records for sales is handling their marketing wrong. So them announcing that in an article makes sense. Also, someone else mentioned (maybe it was @Trick?) that EA's quarterly report came out about a week after TS3 was released so it would have been public information by then anyway.

As for the second article, it needs to be burned with fire. The notice at the top of the article has improper grammar that makes it look like TS4 has sold 175 million copies, they use VgChartz as a source and they talk about women and gaming in a rather derogatory manner. Someone posted the article link previously and we had an interesting discussion about how irritating and inaccurate that article was.

Clap, clap, clap.
  • Options
    Jazzy6897 wrote: »
    Just because EA hasn't posted the sales yet doesn't mean they aren't good.

It does. NO company actively doing damage control and bleeding money would hide they have a new best-seller.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    pguida wrote: »

It does. NO company actively doing damage control and bleeding money would hide they have a new best-seller.

Yeah its quiet to quiet for EA. Or did someone heard about the activity from EA ?
  • Options

Yeah its quite to quite for EA. Or did someone heard about the activity from EA ?

No offense, but, did you mean quite too quiet? I didn't quite get it.
  • Options

Yeah its quite to quite for EA. Or did someone heard about the activity from EA ?

No offense, but, did you mean quite too quiet? I didn't quite get it.

Yeah sorry i have corrected now lol
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Will the EP's sell might be more interesting. A lot of people buy a basegame out of curiosity (and loyalty to the franchise).
    The

Not a peep and it is all quiet on the western front, nothing but crickets.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

Your first point is fair, but I disagree on your last two points. If the purpose is to boast about good sales records, then all those who have been saying that TS4 is not selling as well is correct, or we would have seen some official news about the sales figures already. The whole point about my post was to provide citations for those who are asking for it, however. I don't know if the VG numbers are reliable or whether or not TS3 is doing better than TS4 in actual fact.

I don't find the article misleading at all, the author clearly mentioned that the franchise sold 175 million copies, there is only one interpretation for that. I also do not find the article sexist at all, and I am a working woman myself. All the author did was mention that the majority of sims players were female (approx 65%), based on EA estimates. I don't think the author should be hung when all he did was cite official statistics. So what if the majority of players are females? Is that supposed to be bad?

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    they are in 1st place in Global. wow.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Soon the story will be told if Sims 4 is a flop or it was a success but one thing it will not be is GOTY.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Soon the story will be told if Sims 4 is a flop or it was a success but one thing it will not be is GOTY.

Well most Reviews give them 7/10 Scores so i don't think so too
  • Options

Your first point is fair, but I disagree on your last two points. If the purpose is to boast about good sales records, then all those who have been saying that TS4 is not selling as well is correct, or we would have seen some official news about the sales figures already. The whole point about my post was to provide citations for those who are asking for it, however. I don't know if the VG numbers are reliable or whether or not TS3 is doing better than TS4 in actual fact.

I don't find the article misleading at all, the author clearly mentioned that the franchise sold 175 million copies, there is only one interpretation for that. I also do not find the article sexist at all, and I am a working woman myself. All the author did was mention that the majority of sims players were female (approx 65%), based on EA estimates. I don't think the author should be hung when all he did was cite official statistics. So what if the majority of players are females? Is that supposed to be bad?

My point about the quarterly report coming out the week after TS3 was released was to explain that EA doesn't necessarily release that sort of info about all of their games normally unless they have a report coming out. Does that make sense? IOW, they weren't necessarily doing anything out of the ordinary by announcing a record breaking sales week because that announcement coincided with the public release of their sales report anyway. Also, I'm not sure anyone (even EA) was expecting TS4 to break PC sales records for them again. I don't think it necessarily points to them doing poorly, just that they didn't have extraordinary sales for TS4. I'm still guessing around 800K or so for their first week which really doesn't seem that bad to me.

As for the article link, the broad generalization about women playing games like Kardashians and Candy Crush I find a bit offensive. As if women haven't been playing "hardcore" video games as long as they've been available. But I'd have to go find that other thread to really remember the whole discussion. Maybe this is a different article but it definitely includes some of the same points that I recall.
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    The consensus here is apparently 'VGChartz is inaccurate', so there are no real numbers.
    /thread?
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    LucusSimmsLucusSimms Posts: 108 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

TBH I don't think it will become GOTY, either. They're too many things left out and, quite frankly, it's lacks a lot of replay value. From what I've seen and hear, EA and Maxis had better get their act together and bring this back up to snuff. Otherwise a lot of people will be receiving some pink slips in the future, and as harsh as that sounds it's the truth.
    "Knowledge is Power."
    "Walk softly and carry a big gun."
    "Never Compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
  • Options
    edited September 2014

My point about the quarterly report coming out the week after TS3 was released was to explain that EA doesn't necessarily release that sort of info about all of their games normally unless they have a report coming out. Does that make sense? IOW, they weren't necessarily doing anything out of the ordinary by announcing a record breaking sales week because that announcement coincided with the public release of their sales report anyway. Also, I'm not sure anyone (even EA) was expecting TS4 to break PC sales records for them again. I don't think it necessarily points to them doing poorly, just that they didn't have extraordinary sales for TS4. I'm still guessing around 800K or so for their first week which really doesn't seem that bad to me.

As for the article link, the broad generalization about women playing games like Kardashians and Candy Crush I find a bit offensive. As if women haven't been playing "hardcore" video games as long as they've been available. But I'd have to go find that other thread to really remember the whole discussion. Maybe this is a different article but it definitely includes some of the same points that I recall.

I see your first point, time will tell how well the respective games are doing. EA's quarterly earnings released is expected mid- late October, so maybe we can expect an announcement around that time regarding the sales figures.

It probably is the same article. The author is not so much making point blank assumptions as he is citing someone who is painted as an expert in marketing. What the article is stating is that TS4 may not do as well, because according to EA's last released figures, women were the majority of the franchise's fanbase and according to industry trends, women are turning to mobile games and facebook-style games such as candy crush, which could impact sales figures. I feel the need to speak up here as I do not think it is fair that this author is being crucified on your other thread for citing figures that are given to him. The article does not reek of any emotive language (in fact, the article is essentially quotes from people like Rachel Franklin et al) and the author certainly is not being sexist here. I understand that being clumped in with the trend isn't probably what you like to hear especially if you are a "hardcore" gamer and if you are lumped in with "casuals" (and you are of course welcome to your own opinions), but generalization happens everywhere from supply chain analysis to studying global healthcare risks. General trends are important key drivers behind business and political decisions, and is therefore appropriate in a business article.

Edit: grammar
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    gamegrl66 wrote: »
    I think the Sims series has a long life ahead, if only because, for people who enjoy this type of gameplay there's not much else out there.

Agree.
  • Options
    mulboro wrote: »
    The consensus here is apparently 'VGChartz is inaccurate', so there are no real numbers.
    /thread?

Basically.
  • Options
    It probably is the same article. The author is not so much making point blank assumptions as he is citing someone who is painted as an expert in marketing. What the article is stating is that TS4 may not do as well, because according to EA's last released figures, women were the majority of the franchise's fanbase and according to industry trends, women are turning to mobile games and facebook-style games such as candy crush, which could impact sales figures. I feel the need to speak up here as I do not think it is fair that this author is being crucified on your other thread for citing figures that are given to him. The article does not reek of any emotive language (in fact, the article is essentially quotes from people like Rachel Franklin et al) and the author certainly is not being sexist here. I understand that being clumped in with the trend isn't probably what you like to hear especially if you are a "hardcore" gamer and if you are lumped in with "casuals" (and you are of course welcome to your own opinions), but generalization happens everywhere from supply chain analysis to studying global healthcare risks. General trends are important key drivers behind business and political decisions, and is therefore appropriate in a business article.

Edit: grammar

I actually wasn't vilifying the author, just the article. I realize the author wasn't the one making the generalizations, it was the marketing person and that is the person we were discussing in the other thread. If I feel the urge to find the thread again at some point, I'll post it for you. I'm not sure, however, why you feel the need to defend anyone. As I said, I didn't like the article (burn it with fire, not burn the author with fire) and pointed out why. Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly enough but I'm sure the author (as well as the marketing person) don't actually need you to defend them. :)
  • Options
    Jazzy6897Jazzy6897 Posts: 337 Member

I mean The Sims 4 could be a new best-seller and they still wouldn't have released the number yet. All I'm saying is just because they haven't released it yet doesn't really mean anything.

Origin ID: Jazzy6897 Happy Simming! :)