Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Sales figures according to VGChartz

Comments

• Options
    jadealixjadealix Posts: 788 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @Trick wrote: »
    Dug up the numbers for Sims 3 from the same site.

First week for Sims 3: 327,410
    First week for Sims 4: 408,150

So, not "just awful" at all... Based on VGChartz's numbers, TS4 beat TS3 in first-week retail sales.

Nice work @Trick, I was wondering what the comparison was using the SAME site (and it's grossly inaccurate method of calculations). That has been noticeably absent from every thread where this has come up. I was just too lazy to bother tracking it down myself.

At the end of the day though, VGChartz is not relevant at all in today's world of digital media delivery. They were always notorious for sometimes being wildly inaccurate, but nowadays they are also just plain irrelevant because they do not include digital versions in their data, and it is definitely a digital world now.

If your numbers are accurate, it probably means TS4 has beaten TS3 by a landslide once you also include digital sales. Far more people are inclined to make digital purchases today then they were 5 years ago.

^^ This.
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Trick wrote: »

So, not "just awful" at all... Based on VGChartz's numbers, TS4 beat TS3 in first-week retail sales.

This is wrong! TS3 sold 1.4million in the first week.

2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    edited September 2014
    dark5id3 wrote: »

As others have been saying, 1.4 mil shipped to retailers, not purchased by players.
    Post edited by mulboro on
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    lady8janelady8jane Posts: 350 Member
    Didn't we have the very same thread two days ago?
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited September 2014

Again (as has been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread already), that 1.4 million number is EA's, and they haven't announced total sales for The Sims 4 yet. Nobody but EA knows the total sales numbers.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    We had this thread 2 days ago.

The "Pro" EA team was out in full force.

I got Lynch for saying i was shocked by the low totals.

I got kicked for saying the END totals will tell the truth.

Run for your life.

Some people just do not see what they do not want to see.

If sales were good EA would have posted them.

Truth is the truth no matter how someone spins it.
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    edited September 2014
    mulboro wrote: »

As others have been saying, 1.4 mil sold to retailers, not purchased by players.

According to 10 different articles, they SOLD 1.4 million in the first week.

"The Sims 3, an instant success, sold 1.4 million copies in its first week and dominated the sales charts over two years later. ... The game has sold over ten million copies worldwide since its 2009 release, making it one of the best-selling video games of all time."
    2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    Wow, I did know it was that low, I guess. :|
  • Options
    jadealixjadealix Posts: 788 Member
    Quit misleading people OP. I will wait to see the real first week sales.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited September 2014

As others have been saying, 1.4 mil sold to retailers, not purchased by players.

I could just as easily claim that retailers couldn't keep up with the demand during that time or else TS3's sales would have been much higher. That said, I suspect TS4 will sell around 2 million copies in the first couple of weeks. If SimCity can do over 1 million in the first ten days, I don't think that's an unreasonable estimate.

• Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited September 2014
    sarahzsmyl wrote: »
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    gamegrl66 wrote: »
    According to www.vgchartz.com:<br />
    as of 6th of September<br />
    <br />
    Global sales: 408,150 <br />
    USA: 179,368 <br />
    Europe: 161,584 <br />
    <br />
    How does this compare to The Sims 3 debut sales figures?

Well who knew my 480,000 worldwide would be kind of accurate, lol.

TS3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week. So 1.4 million times $49.99 minimally excluding collector's editions so I'm sure TS3 made more than: $699,860, 000 million dollars...over half a billion in 1 week if that's accurate, lol.

First, 1.4 millions copies is how many copies were sold to RETAILERS, not how many were actually bought. That number would be lower. Second, 2009 was on the leading edge of the digital era. People bought more physical copies of games back then.

The Sims 3 was a commercial success, selling 1.4 million copies in its first week

That is what it says on Wikipedia...source here: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31194133/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/sims-sells-million-copies-first-week/#.VBsx9xZ0Y_U

Edit: Will just have to wait for EA to release an official statement saying how much TS4 made during its first week which is strange they have not discussed the facts for the first week yet. I think TS4 has been released everywhere for more than a week now.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    <br />
    <br />

TS3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week. So 1.4 million times $49.99 minimally excluding collector's editions so I'm sure TS3 made more than: $699,860, 000 million dollars...over half a billion in 1 week if that's accurate, lol.

First, 1.4 millions copies is how many copies were sold to RETAILERS, not how many were actually bought. That number would be lower. Second, 2009 was on the leading edge of the digital era. People bought more physical copies of games back then.

The Sims 3 was a commercial success, selling 1.4 million copies in its first week

That is what it says on Wikipedia...source here: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31194133/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/sims-sells-million-copies-first-week/#.VBsx9xZ0Y_U

Right, but those numbers reflect copies that are sold to retailers. Every game. Every book. Every time. They don't reflect the numbers the retailers sold. It's a common misconception. And, no...TS3 wasn't selling off the shelves of Walmart, Best Buy and Target.

Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush

• Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member

And what numbers do they report for Sims 4?
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    <br />
    <br />

Because wikipedia is never wrong about anything. It's great for a general source of information but facts and figures like that should be taken with a grain of salt.

To the point of the thread, I do wonder what the digital download count is.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    If we don't stop complaining, Sims 5 will be five crayons and a notepad. Be happy and accept your fate!

beatings.jpg
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @dark5id3 wrote: »

According to 10 different articles, they SOLD 1.4 million in the first week.

"The Sims 3, an instant success, sold 1.4 million copies in its first week and dominated the sales charts over two years later. ... The game has sold over ten million copies worldwide since its 2009 release, making it one of the best-selling video games of all time."

Try reading his ENTIRE post. He said "BASED on VGChartz's numbers"

VGChartz does not include digital sales, and iirc they don't include pre-orders.

You're 1.4 million is irrelevant when compared to the OP's VGChartz data. You have to compare VGChartz TO VGChartz for there to be any comparison. And that's what he did and which he stated, to make it very clear. Not sure how some of you are missing that.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    gmgar wrote: »
    This.

When sales are low, they hide totals like snake's legs.

• Options
    <br />
    <br />

Right, but those numbers reflect copies that are sold to retailers. Every game. Every book. Every time. They don't reflect the numbers the retailers sold. It's a common misconception. And, no...TS3 wasn't selling off the shelves of Walmart, Best Buy and Target.

Well I don't know what you are reading. It says 1.4 million copies were sold during it first week NOT 1.4 million copies released to retailers. So whatever, it is what it is. Besides show me proof that what you are saying is correct and I'd believe you otherwise not interested when I read otherwise from what seems to be a reliable source and not just talking about Wikipedia cause I know people can freely edit it if I'm not mistaken which is why I gave the proof of the source to check it out myself.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    MafiastyleMafiastyle Posts: 714 Member
    OP needs to edit their posts with comparison to the sims 3 if they are going to use an inaccurate site. lol
    39d589ef4e5a6ca8bd17fc4bfd12fec6.jpg
    Babies everywhere, thank you shadow cat.

• Options

And what numbers do they report for Sims 4?

Could you repeat that? I don't understand question.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    ContessaClaidieContessaClaidie Posts: 263 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    If we don't stop complaining, Sims 5 will be five crayons and a notepad. Be happy and accept your fate!

beatings.jpg

there won't even be a Sims 5 and even if there was the same bunch will whine Sims 4 was better ... blah blah blah ...

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” - Albert Einstein
    I own all Sims 1 to 4 + Expansion, Stuff Packs but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Sims 2
    4.5 Ghz Processor, 32 Gb of Ram, 3x Geforce GTX Titan Z Extreme Edition, 1 TB SSD
  • Options
    PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    It really doesn't matter to me if TS3 base game sold more or less.
    The total number is not very impressive anyways and I've had a feeling
    for quite some time now that the golden days for The Sims are over :p
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    <br />
    <br />

Thats it exactly. It's basically a marketing trick - and by judging some of these responses, it works.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    shenice93shenice93 Posts: 150 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    gmgar wrote: »
    This.

When sales are low, they hide totals like snake's legs.

Except for the part where EA is a company. And companies generally only publish sales numbers every quarter (some do it more or less depending on the industry). The current quarter isn't over until October.
    Visit my tumblr for all my custom content creations: the-stories-sims-tell.tumblr.com
  • Options
    gamegrl66gamegrl66 Posts: 51 Member
    I think the Sims series has a long life ahead, if only because, for people who enjoy this type of gameplay there's not much else out there.