Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Sales figures according to VGChartz

gamegrl66gamegrl66 Posts: 51 Member
According to www.vgchartz.com:
as of 6th of September

Global sales: 408,150
USA: 179,368
Europe: 161,584

How does this compare to The Sims 3 debut sales figures?
Post edited by gamegrl66 on

Comments

• PandabearrocksPandabearrocks Posts: 142 Member
    Just awful. :'(
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    This is not a complete or accurate representation of sales as this comes only from physical copies plus the title didn't release in the UK till the 4th and this ends the week of the 6th. Also I heard from many people that vgchartz isn't accurate.
  • DarthMittenzzDarthMittenzz Posts: 279 Member
    edited September 2014
    EA will always find a way to make money, just buy out smaller business or drive them into the ground like Walmart does.
    -- DarthMittenzz has spoken
  • mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    Not particularly good, but not as bad as I thought.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, you can't really compare these numbers to the reported numbers for earlier Sims games, since it doesn't take any of the online sales into account (particularly since online sales represent a much larger portion of total sales than they did when Sims 3 was released).

EA reported something like 1.4 million copies of Sims 3 the first week, but hasn't reported sales numbers for the first week of Sims 4.

I'd expect the numbers to be somewhat lower than for TS3, but "just awful?" Too early to say.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • gamegrl66gamegrl66 Posts: 51 Member
    > @alan650111 said:
    > This is not a complete or accurate representation of sales as this comes only from physical copies plus the title didn't release in the UK till the 4th and this ends the week of the 6th. Also I heard from many people that vgchartz isn't accurate.

Oh, OK. Well, someone let us know when the true figures are out there. I hope it does well because I don't want the franchise to end. I'm not happy with some of the things that's missing but it's to be expected with the launch of the base game. I know more good things are to come in expansion packs and stuff packs.
    Thanks Trick, yeah it's too soon to call it awful. We have to wait and see.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    gamegrl66 wrote: »
    > @alan650111 said:<br />
    > This is not a complete or accurate representation of sales as this comes only from physical copies plus the title didn't release in the UK till the 4th and this ends the week of the 6th. Also I heard from many people that vgchartz isn't accurate.<br />
    <br />
    Oh, OK. Well, someone let us know when the true figures are out there. I hope it does well because I don't want the franchise to end. I'm not happy with some of the things that's missing but it's to be expected with the launch of the base game. I know more good things are to come in expansion packs and stuff packs.

Yeah the title of this thread is misleading because this isn't accurate. The fact that these are from physical sales alone shows that because I believe most people these days prefer digital so I would imagine a huge chunk of the sales are coming from digital. I really am curious to see accurate sales. This same site was very inaccurate with their sales totals with Sims 3 too.

• justin5812justin5812 Posts: 632 Member
    Just awful. :'(

Not really
  • harryjames009harryjames009 Posts: 84 Member
    Sales will pick up as the haters drift off to some other game they can destroy.
    @Trick
    Thanks for the research. Not bad at all especially since the Downloads aren't included yet.
  • NianaNiana Posts: 211 Member
    > @alan650111 said:<br />
    > This is not a complete or accurate representation of sales as this comes only from physical copies plus the title didn't release in the UK till the 4th and this ends the week of the 6th. Also I heard from many people that vgchartz isn't accurate.<br />
    <br />

dont worry It will have its 5 years of fame, like all the others, no doubt.

And I would not wonder if they already have the concept for 5 done.

Don't think they started with 4 long after 3 got released.

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited September 2014
    @Trick wrote: »
    Dug up the numbers for Sims 3 from the same site.

First week for Sims 3: 327,410
    First week for Sims 4: 408,150

So, not "just awful" at all... Based on VGChartz's numbers, TS4 beat TS3 in first-week retail sales.

Nice work @Trick, I was wondering what the comparison was using the SAME site (and it's grossly inaccurate method of calculations). That has been noticeably absent from every thread where this has come up. I was just too lazy to bother tracking it down myself.

At the end of the day though, VGChartz is not relevant at all in today's world of digital media delivery. They were always notorious for sometimes being wildly inaccurate, but nowadays they are also just plain irrelevant because they do not include digital versions in their data, and it is definitely a digital world now.

If your numbers are accurate, it probably means TS4 has beaten TS3 by a landslide once you also include digital sales. Far more people are inclined to make digital purchases today then they were 5 years ago.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    @alan65011
    It's all we have for now I guess. I will edit original post when we get the news from EA or some other reliable source.
  • TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited September 2014
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    At the end of the day though, VGChartz is not relevant at all in today's world of digital media delivery. They were always notorious for sometimes being wildly inaccurate, but nowadays they are also just plain irrelevant because they do not include digital versions in their data, and it is definitely a digital world now.

Yeah, that's why I included the "based on VGChartz's numbers" disclaimer in there. They're notoriously inaccurate, but when the same site shows higher numbers for The Sims 4 than it did for The Sims 3, at least you know you can't draw any conclusions about TS4's sales being bad from it.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    VGChartz is often off by 300,000. So...take these numbers with a grain of salt. It's not official until EA says so. Their earnings report at the end of the quarter will tell all.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I hope the game is selling well, but I noticed that the price has alreasy been heavily reduced. In Germany it started at 54 Euro and has dropped now to 49 on Amazon.de and 44 at some big retailers like Saturn. This is not a good sign just two weeks after release.
  • mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    Trick wrote: »
    Dug up the numbers for Sims 3 from the same site.

First week for Sims 3: 327,410
    First week for Sims 4: 408,150

So, not "just awful" at all... Based on VGChartz's numbers, TS4 beat TS3 in first-week retail sales.
    I thought it would be so. The Sims series always seemed like a slow seller at the start but it continues to grow as it is expanded.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    According to www.vgchartz.com:<br />
    as of 6th of September<br />
    <br />
    Global sales: 408,150 <br />
    USA: 179,368 <br />
    Europe: 161,584 <br />
    <br />

Well who knew my 480,000 worldwide would be kind of accurate, lol.

TS3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week. So 1.4 million times $49.99 minimally excluding collector's editions so I'm sure TS3 made more than: $699,860, 000 million dollars...over half a billion in 1 week if that's accurate, lol.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    I hope the game is selling well, but I noticed that the price has alreasy been heavily reduced. In Germany it started at 54 Euro and has dropped now to 49 on Amazon.de and 44 at some big retailers like Saturn. This is not a good sign just two weeks after release.
    I see that a lot on Amazon. As soon as they can, they drop sales prices.
    Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush

• MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member

Happens with all Sims games these days though; the money comes from the preorders.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • sarahzsmylsarahzsmyl Posts: 1,307 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    According to www.vgchartz.com:<br />
    as of 6th of September<br />
    <br />
    Global sales: 408,150 <br />
    USA: 179,368 <br />
    Europe: 161,584 <br />
    <br />

Well who knew my 480,000 worldwide would be kind of accurate, lol.

TS3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week. So 1.4 million times $49.99 minimally excluding collector's editions so I'm sure TS3 made more than: $699,860, 000 million dollars...over half a billion in 1 week if that's accurate, lol.

First, 1.4 millions copies is how many copies were sold to RETAILERS, not how many were actually bought. That number would be lower. Second, 2009 was on the leading edge of the digital era. People bought more physical copies of games back then.

Origin, Steam, PSN, XBL - FyreFlyeRush