May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Sick of the "Trade Off" Excuse

Comments

• Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Susiechan wrote: »
    BBadict wrote: »
    What was the trade off to get such bad clipping? Take the clipping back! D:

If I am not mistaken it's to solve the routing issues. I think Grant commented on this on another thread "I purchased it, I returned it", or something like that.

Honestly while the Sims walking through each other can be kind of "Eh wut?" initially I prefer it immensely over "No you go..." "No you.." "I insist you go" "🐸🐸🐸🐸 and go.." "We'll both go.." and so on till I lost 3 Sim hours trying to get the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 people through that ONE door. *shakes fist*
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Good point! I think with The Sims, it is really important to visualize a modular game. This game should have replay value, something that made TS2 so great. You could literally change the game to suit your needs and play style. They should know that linear play fails in this game, look at WA and Ambitions. Those got really boring, really fast.
    Those were my two favorite EPs (I did like Supernatural, as well, for the most part). Not because of the RPG elements but because of the gameplay that they made available--going on vacation, additional recipes, Sim Fu, exploring tombs, being able to have a non-traditional career as a career and actually being involved in my sim's job actively. I didn't really pay attention to the RPG elements much, just played and enjoyed them for what I wanted.

Exactly this, WA, ambitions, and supernatural added a ton of content outside of the RPG stuff. Self employed was WAY more fun than a job. Don't forget nectar too, that aged and increased in quality in your basement. Those were also my favorite EPs.

Seconded this too :).

I love these three EPs. WA and Ambitions make me experience things that have never been in any TS series before.

With Ambitions, you don't even need rabbit holes career :).
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Susiechan wrote: »
    BBadict wrote: »
    What was the trade off to get such bad clipping? Take the clipping back! D:

If I am not mistaken it's to solve the routing issues. I think Grant commented on this on another thread "I purchased it, I returned it", or something like that.

Honestly while the Sims walking through each other can be kind of "Eh wut?" initially I prefer it immensely over "No you go..." "No you.." "I insist you go" "🐸🐸🐸🐸 and go.." "We'll both go.." and so on till I lost 3 Sim hours trying to get the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 people through that ONE door. *shakes fist*

Well it makes for a funny glitch :p. I have seen many funny clipping pictures in this thread :mrgreen: .
  • Options
    DuncarinDuncarin Posts: 362 Member
    xx0Lena0xx wrote: »
    Awesome first post!
    Welcome to the fourms!

• Options
    angie0o0angie0o0 Posts: 103 Member
    lady8jane wrote: »
    pguida wrote: »
    Yurusumaji wrote: »
    Because if certain features required more resources, they should have HIRED MORE PEOPLE. Or better yet, they should have NOT laid off all those devs a while back.

You obviously do not understand how business works ...

Neither do you or EA.

Well ... their quarterly reports speak a different language. EA knows very well how their business works.

Because people like you with low, low standards buy games like this one.
  • Options
    Blueboy2323Blueboy2323 Posts: 179 Member
    Where did they say it was too hard versus they couldn't do it in the scope of time they had? Do you think given the past games had those life states with different animations that maybe they know how to do it but if EA is kicking it out the door come hell or high water at the release date they HAD to pick and choose what went in?

You being angry doesn't change that and twisting the words from "We had to pick what went in" aka we ran out of time to "It's too hard to do!" does a disservice to you and the devs.

And the reasoning of "Hire more devs" is a logical fallacy. Blizzard recently bumped the WoW studio up from 150ish to 200+ and that is the single biggest reason they have had to delay WoD so heavily. Why? Because even if you bring in talented people, you still have to teach those people the engine you're working with, get them integrated and a whole slew of other things.

Simply throwing manpower at a problem does not make it necessarily work or get done faster.

B-b-but our life simulator can't handle swimming pools!

And, okay, hiring more people isn't the quickest way to fix a problem, but I'm not talking about fixing something "the quickest way". I probably wasn't clear in my post, but I'm puting the blame on both Maxis and EA here. EA are responsible for kicking the game out the door before it was anywhere near ready, and what I meant was that, if they really gave a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about us, they would have delayed the game a bit to make sure it was up to snuff with the other games. And I would expect that considering they're selling it at the same price as the other games.

I guess most of my anger is aimed at EA, really. But Maxis still fall under that umbrella, so they do deserve some of the blame.
    p3herocutin0mj8n.png
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    angie0o0 wrote: »
    Because if certain features required more resources, they should have HIRED MORE PEOPLE. Or better yet, they should have NOT laid off all those devs a while back.

Neither do you or EA.

You have a product generating billion of revenues, you invest to mantain quality.

Those who try to cheapen their product to make more money usually devalue the brand.

See how GM went bankrupt. See how the current's CEA, Mary Barra's, new motto is "no more crappy cars".

That's cute. You don't know how business works, either.

See, I took business. I do get it, I've had to live it, so I understand that you have about as much clue on what EA is doing with their money as I do. That's none. No clue. You're making blind assumptions because TS4 doesn't pander to your whims and you just need to cry it out.

And what are you crying about? TS4 panders to YOUR whims, therefore you come in here to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and whine and moan because someone's dissin' yer fave game. 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

So much this!

Also EA is a terrible business that just seems to have a loyal fanbase. I've said it before, I have never ever seen customers take so much 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and still remain loyal to the franchise.

A good business listens to their customers feedback and improves on what is lacking, while perfecting what is good. That's what a good business is. EA use to be such a good business probably why their fans still remain so loyal cause they're hoping EA wakes up one day and decides to do something for their customers rather than thinking about the new sports car they want to buy.
  • Options
    angie0o0angie0o0 Posts: 103 Member
    Perhaps, although when reading most reviews from various gaming sites such as gamespot, IGN, gameplanet, even ABCNews, many still point out many of the same dis pleasures that many Simmers have experienced and share. Ironic.

That ... isn't ... ironic. That ... has absolutely nothing to do with irony. That's actually the opposite of being ironic.

Look how smart she is!

• Options
    Where did they say it was too hard versus they couldn't do it in the scope of time they had? Do you think given the past games had those life states with different animations that maybe they know how to do it but if EA is kicking it out the door come hell or high water at the release date they HAD to pick and choose what went in?

You being angry doesn't change that and twisting the words from "We had to pick what went in" aka we ran out of time to "It's too hard to do!" does a disservice to you and the devs.

And the reasoning of "Hire more devs" is a logical fallacy. Blizzard recently bumped the WoW studio up from 150ish to 200+ and that is the single biggest reason they have had to delay WoD so heavily. Why? Because even if you bring in talented people, you still have to teach those people the engine you're working with, get them integrated and a whole slew of other things.

Simply throwing manpower at a problem does not make it necessarily work or get done faster.

B-b-but our life simulator can't handle swimming pools!

And, okay, hiring more people isn't the quickest way to fix a problem, but I'm not talking about fixing something "the quickest way". I probably wasn't clear in my post, but I'm puting the blame on both Maxis and EA here. EA are responsible for kicking the game out the door before it was anywhere near ready, and what I meant was that, if they really gave a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about us, they would have delayed the game a bit to make sure it was up to snuff with the other games. And I would expect that considering they're selling it at the same price as the other games.

I guess most of my anger is aimed at EA, really. But Maxis still fall under that umbrella, so they do deserve some of the blame.

Thank you for explaining yourself further - I do appreciate it! :)

And yes, I'm not going to excuse Maxis 100% but if there's anyone I pin the blame on it is EA and there I agree with you 100%. I keep wishing one of these big corps will buy a clue and realize fast turn around/deadline crunching hurts, not helps. Sure you may take advantage of the holiday season or an empty "launch" week window but then at what cost if you start to alienate more and more of your fans?
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Seriously everyone there's no need for rudeness. It's all a spectrum from people who love Sims4 and don't see any issues at all, to those who find it incredibly disappointing and every part in between. The point is that we all love the sims or we wouldn't be here. If sims4 wants to grow EA need to know the main issues people are having in order to see where to move forward. I love that some of you are happy but it's really sad that a huge amount of loyal fans feel really disappointed-that's clear to see from the guru's feedback thread.
  • Options
    Sc3niX wrote: »

Neither do you or EA.

You have a product generating billion of revenues, you invest to mantain quality.

Those who try to cheapen their product to make more money usually devalue the brand.

See how GM went bankrupt. See how the current's CEA, Mary Barra's, new motto is "no more crappy cars".

See, I took business. I do get it, I've had to live it, so I understand that you have about as much clue on what EA is doing with their money as I do. That's none. No clue. You're making blind assumptions because TS4 doesn't pander to your whims and you just need to cry it out.

And what are you crying about? TS4 panders to YOUR whims, therefore you come in here to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and whine and moan because someone's dissin' yer fave game. 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

So much this!

Also EA is a terrible business that just seems to have a loyal fanbase. I've said it before, I have never ever seen customers take so much 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and still remain loyal to the franchise.

A good business listens to their customers feedback and improves on what is lacking, while perfecting what is good. That's what a good business is. EA use to be such a good business probably why their fans still remain so loyal cause they're hoping EA wakes up one day and decides to do something for their customers rather than thinking about the new sports car they want to buy.

Eh, it's not so cut and dry. EA has put itself in what I'd call a really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hard spot to dislodge.

I love Bioware. I want to support Bioware. I have enjoyed every single game they have put out. If I take a "Say no to EA" stance and refuse to support them, then all the studios under them who do good work despite whatever EA does around/despite of them also goes to waste in a sense.

I try to logically answer stupid decisions with my wallet when and where possible but sometimes it's a really tough call - do I support a studio I love despite it's publisher or skip out on a legitimately good game, hurting the developer just to spite EA?

No good answer there :\
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member

Neither do you or EA.

So much this!

Eh, it's not so cut and dry. EA has put itself in what I'd call a really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hard spot to dislodge.

I love Bioware. I want to support Bioware. I have enjoyed every single game they have put out. If I take a "Say no to EA" stance and refuse to support them, then all the studios under them who do good work despite whatever EA does around/despite of them also goes to waste in a sense.

I try to logically answer stupid decisions with my wallet when and where possible but sometimes it's a really tough call - do I support a studio I love despite it's publisher or skip out on a legitimately good game, hurting the developer just to spite EA?

No good answer there :\

For me it doesn't really matter, I still see Bioware as their own company. I do feel that Mass Effect should of stayed ended by ME3. So ME4 is probably something EA is forcing them to do since ME1-3 was one of the best games in the world. Besides ME1 and 2 were just published through EA, and EA didn't buy Bioware then :) I can see that Bioware is at least fighting hard against EA's decisions which is why i still respect them.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    God 🐸🐸🐸🐸 this. The "it's too hard!" excuses are absolutely hilarious. "My job was too hard! That's a completely reasonable excuse! Now, pay full retail RRP for this game so I can get paid for LITERALLY HALF 🐸🐸🐸🐸 WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING."

Seriously. You cannot start a project by yourself, complain that what you set out to do was too difficult, and then still expect full recognition. Delay the game. Hire more staff with the literal PILES of money the previous games have made. Work harder. There are so many things that could have been done to get everything you'd expect from the game in the game, but they chose not to do that and release the game in the state it was anyway.

I might sound angry, but that's because at no point whatsoever did EA or Maxis say "Well, y'know, we never actually intended to put them in in the first place. There were never going to be pools or toddlers in this one". Every single time it's been brought up, they've (essentially) said "the engine we built sucks, so it wasn't actually possible". The implication is they meant to, but they didn't. And there definitely would have been a fix if they had wanted to fix it, for us.

I know that there was a long blog post by one of the Gurus that specifically said something along the lines of some things being too hard. It was a stand out line that I remember because it is something you never want to see written by a company. Maybe it was Graham on MTS or maybe it was an official blog. I don't remember, exactly, but that is what was said. A few days later a different Guru backpedaled.
  • Options
    mizzgreenthumbmizzgreenthumb Posts: 637 Member

Neither do you or EA.

So much this!

Well same goes for blizzard, they're hated and I could care less. I prefer to stand by the franchise I love, its like anything, even movie franchises there will always be issues but I'll get over it. Like the karate kid for instance, I didn't like how Daniel acted or did things but I got over it and still loved the karate kid franchise.

Long story short if someone is gonna get mad and be a hater over a new game that has some issues that I'm sure will be addressed, then they need to reconsider the whole fan label. A real fan looks over minor issues and gives the game time to adjust, I mean the game just came out.
  • Options
    Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member

Neither do you or EA.

So much this!

Well same goes for blizzard, they're hated and I could care less. I prefer to stand by the franchise I love, its like anything, even movie franchises there will always be issues but I'll get over it. Like the karate kid for instance, I didn't like how Daniel acted or did things but I got over it and still loved the karate kid franchise.

Long story short if someone is gonna get mad and be a hater over a new game that has some issues that I'm sure will be addressed, then they need to reconsider the whole fan label. A real fan looks over minor issues and gives the game time to adjust, I mean the game just came out.

Yeah, you just lost all credibility with that "real fan" junk.

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited September 2014

Yeah, you just lost all credibility with that "real fan" junk.

To be sure.

The Chicago Cubs haven't won the World Series since 1908;
    and if anyone is critical of the team you get that 'you aren't a true Cubs fan'

The Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967;
    and if anyone is critical of the team you get that 'you aren't a true Leafs fan'

The Miami Dolphins haven't won the Super Bowl since 1973;
    and if anyone is critical of the team you get that 'you aren't a true Dolphins fan'

Being constructively critical is NOT some sort of wrong...it actually shows you LOVE something enough to want the best for it.

To simply take what those teams, and a company like EA, simply dish out without critical reasoning is doing a disservice to the game itself.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    While I must say that I am still enjoying the new game overall, I am getting SICK of the guru's talking about how missing features were removed because it is "too hard" or "takes too long" or was a "trade off".

The open world is understandable, because it truly WAS a mess. However, for everything else, such as the teen height, town sizes, small lots, toddlers, pools, etc. it sounds more like excuses for cut corners and lazy design. You know why? Because if certain features required more resources, they should have HIRED MORE PEOPLE. Or better yet, they should have NOT laid off all those devs a while back.

Seriously, The Sims 3 squeezed every last dime from our wallets, releasing an endless amount of expansions and stuff packs, and charging ridiculous prices for store content. Where exactly did all that money go? You would think that they'd AT LEAST use some of it to ensure that their dev team was properly staffed for the "next gen" installment. And if the devs blame time constraints for leaving out 10 year old features, then there is clearly an issue regarding upper management, resource allocation, and staffing.

As someone stated in another thread, it would be one thing if Sims 4 was made by a bunch of Indie developers on a kickstarter budget. But The Sims is one of EA's biggest cash cows. It is one of the last franchises that should be complaining about how things require too much work.

I realize that the actual developers had no control over this. But I'm really starting to believe those laid-off devs who were complaining about toxic upper management, office politics, etc. There is really no reason for a AAA game of this budget to be cutting this many corners.

Gone to EA
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    The heck is with the flags on some posts? There's nothing wrong with these posts >_<

Eesh - disagree if you must but don't flag someone for their opinion.

Agreed. Kuypers125 flagged me for 'abuse'. Maybe it was a misclick, though.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    spiritseerspiritseer Posts: 26 Member
    I truly believe they have taken a step back in this Sims, I thought that when you bring out a new product it was to be better than the last, especially when you charge 20 more for this one!
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited September 2014
    spiritseer wrote: »
    I truly believe they have taken a step back in this Sims, I thought that when you bring out a new product it was to be better than the last, especially when you charge 20 more for this one!

Thats i am agreeing too.

Watching this makes me think whats wrong EA our Money gone to other Games ?

Just for showing how much money ive spent into the Sims Franchise. All Games and EPs i would say 2000 Euro and more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCJfst8H4b0
  • Options
    junkbarbarianjunkbarbarian Posts: 95 Member
    I think a truly dedicated fanbase is actually more likely to be upset when a franchise they love takes what they perceive to be a turn for the worse. Just look at what happened with the Star Wars fandom after episode one. Granted there will always be people who post just to be contrary, but I think for the most part when someone takes the time to express their disappointment, it is because they care.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    The heck is with the flags on some posts? There's nothing wrong with these posts >_<

Eesh - disagree if you must but don't flag someone for their opinion.

giphy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhfbLRoGEw

“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Blueboy2323Blueboy2323 Posts: 179 Member

No, that is not what a real fan is. That is being a 13 year old kid or a sheep. I'm sorry, but I sincerely dislike it when people tell others to be mindless and throw your money at huge corporations under the guise of being a "true fan". I have problems with that and people like you who often influence the younger generations out of a fear of being disloyal to a brand.

People are entitled to their opinions. And some of us have been around since before The Sims was a game. Some of us have been through SimEarth, SimIsle, SimAnt, SimCities, etc. It doesn't matter how long you have been around, it doesn't matter that you take anything they give you without complaint. We are all fans of the game or we wouldn't be here. And when we are unsatisfied, we can let them know. The game will not improve unless there are people who will let them know that it needs to be.
    I agree with this person so hard. A true fan doesn't let the series they love slowly dig itself deeper in to the pit of mediocrity, they fight and take a stand to raise that series back to what it previously was. We aren't 'overlooking minor problems', we're trying to give EA/Maxis the kick it needs so the games don't have these "minor" problems in the first place.
    p3herocutin0mj8n.png
  • Options
    bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    God 🐸🐸🐸🐸 this. The "it's too hard!" excuses are absolutely hilarious. "My job was too hard! That's a completely reasonable excuse! Now, pay full retail RRP for this game so I can get paid for LITERALLY HALF 🐸🐸🐸🐸 WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING."

Seriously. You cannot start a project by yourself, complain that what you set out to do was too difficult, and then still expect full recognition. Delay the game. Hire more staff with the literal PILES of money the previous games have made. Work harder. There are so many things that could have been done to get everything you'd expect from the game in the game, but they chose not to do that and release the game in the state it was anyway.

I might sound angry, but that's because at no point whatsoever did EA or Maxis say "Well, y'know, we never actually intended to put them in in the first place. There were never going to be pools or toddlers in this one". Every single time it's been brought up, they've (essentially) said "the engine we built sucks, so it wasn't actually possible". The implication is they meant to, but they didn't. And there definitely would have been a fix if they had wanted to fix it, for us.

I know that there was a long blog post by one of the Gurus that specifically said something along the lines of some things being too hard. It was a stand out line that I remember because it is something you never want to see written by a company. Maybe it was Graham on MTS or maybe it was an official blog. I don't remember, exactly, but that is what was said. A few days later a different Guru backpedaled.

It was a gaming website:
    http://kotaku.com/adding-pools-to-sims-4-isnt-easy-says-ea-1619634727
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.