Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Sick of the "Trade Off" Excuse

Comments

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I don't think an open-ended game like the Sims could ever be as good as it can be to some people. Some of the people who like the Sims always want more, even if their demands are ridiculous.

Like teens that don't look like adults...like a full family we used to have with toddlers?

No, those are NOT ridiculous demands.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Just to add...if the game was selling so well, they wouldn't have Gurus on here doing damage control, trying to convince everyone to buy. We all know that once they have our money they usually disappear. It seems strange to see them panhandling.

Believe me, this is not what I wanted for the series. I even bit the bullet and bought the game just because i don't want my favorite game to fail. But they dug their hole and they knew what they were doing when they removed key features. The game is good and it could have been great, but the features they decided to leave out and then claim difficulties, were unbecoming to long time players. They always count on us to just hand them our money blindly, they don't realise that many of us are adults who are capable of making informed decisions.

Yes! You'll find that if we didn't care about the sims future we wouldn't bother coming in to the forums to try to get a message to EA on their official forums about what is bothering many long term sims fans, and how they can improve this to turn this train wreck around! I have been a sims fan since the first sims and never have I seen such a disaster of a release from a sims game. Each version had their fans but in each one most people moved along and got used to the game pretty quickly-and the forums were all about how to find the new features, sharing stories. I had Sims4 preordered as soon as I could, and I heard the discontent on the boards about the missing features but because of loyalty to the game I gave it a fair go. I feel the reason they weren't happy to have mass reviews before release was because they suspected this backlash and were trying to prevent more people hearing of our reservations and being put off before they had our money. Not everyone can get their money back-if you bought in a store like I did then it doesn't apply.
    I know this game is not worth what I paid for it and I think the amount of people with similar opinions shows what a mess we are highlighting. If it was just two or three people 'moaning' as you other people put it then it would be one thing. But for pity's sake you only need to look at the feedback section of the forum to see there are real problems with this game and it's release! That's even without looking at reviews from fans on sites where you can buy the game! If you don't want to read people's opinions then don't open this topic, find one you want to read!
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    I don't think an open-ended game like the Sims could ever be as good as it can be to some people. Some of the people who like the Sims always want more, even if their demands are ridiculous.

Like teens that don't look like adults...like a full family we used to have with toddlers?

I thought it was quite obvious that I was talking about in general, after all the EPs were done.

Oh well :(
  • Options

I thought it was quite obvious that I was talking about in general, after all the EPs were done.

Oh well :(

You quoted me, so I could only infer you were responding directly to what I was saying.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited September 2014
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    Your logic would make more sense if TS4 actually had more content than TS3. But I don't think it does.

That's your opinion. Sims 4 has a lot more content than Sims 3. The problem is you're equating "missing" features from Sims 3 to mean Sims 4 has less features/content. That's not the way to look at it.
    A lot of the missing features were pretty standard and have been in the games for 10+ years. You don't see me complaining about Seasons or Magic or anything. These are BASIC features that were cut out. And the official reasoning is "We didn't have time". It's BS.

That's just the thing; who says they are "basic" features? Did the developers ever say that?

Heck even Super Mario Brothers "cut" "basic" features in part 3 that were found in parts 1 and 2...whether the official part 2 or the cheesy American remake of part 2.

This has been happening since the beginning. For some strange reason people seem to think EA is breaking new ground here in "cutting" features from previous games.

People usually want something new and fresh; that's why games like Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 are different while also being the same.

Sims 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all different while also being the same.

I'm sorry but if a feature is in a series for 10 or 15 years, and is cut out because "We didn't have time." they deserve to be called out. It's a lame excuse.

At what point does it become a basic feature exactly? Is 10 years the magic mark?

I can't help but notice that a lot of features people are complaining about "missing" from Sims 4 were actually found first in Sims 3, meaning it's only been a "basic" feature for 5 years. Is 5 years the magical mark now?

You misinterpret. TS is a "SERIES" and as a series it should be looked upon in full...not in part. Remember that ONE, TWO and THREE come "before" FOUR and you can't just literally start counting at four as if the first number. Any real game series would not skip previous well liked main features but instead improve upon and continue them as well as give brand new features in the next iteration. (Take a look at the Arkham/Assassin's Creed series to get an example of how it's done right.) A game series builds upon each other to create an even more amazing gaming experience and better gameplay mechanics and each installment within a game series are not separate works as if spin-offs or an entirely different game altogether. Sure it can be looked at separately on its own but of course when it's a part of a game series it's going to be compared to see what is new, what is improved and what is so great about this new iteration that I should want it.

(In General) I wonder does many even play other games besides TS because I often observe that most that accept EA's ill business practices are the very ones who only play TS and therefore to my conclusion doesn't know what a real game series is about. Surprisingly some even go so far as to say, "Well TS4 is supposed to be different and it shouldn't be like previous games/TS3 anyway." Obviously not exactly but it should carry over the most favorable features with vast improvements...right? Well I don't care if anyone disagrees, I think so. I've been spoiled by quite a few game series so I know what I expect and if it is not to my liking then see ya wouldn't want to be ya.

I mean come on.

Would GTA be the same with no open world to run around and explore freely?
    Would Pacman be the same without Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde?

EA can't take away main highly praised features that became a part of what makes the series so popular, fun, intriguing and do away with it all and expect TS4 to do extremely well. Okie dokie artichokie. But seriously that's just batsheet crazy.

Couldn't agree more!!!!

@CapraCorn104, is it ridiculous to expect a game to include and build upon what it's predecessors introduced? I have been playing the Sims since 2000, and I have enjoyed each game, loved what they built upon and what the added to enhance game play. So wouldn't it be logical that we'd expect it to continue? Why would they take what was so great, awesome, and unique and regress? It doesn't make sense. Just like those love this game are allowed to express it, those who are enjoying the game, but upset about basic things that aren't there are allowed to have their voices heard as well.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    TrancepireTrancepire Posts: 969 Member
    Worst case scenario: After all these tradeoffs, there is a full blown Store awaiting us.
    (B-but there is an allotted staff to create Store content for us, shush!)
    cnc4pew3.gif
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    Trancepire wrote: »
    Worst case scenario: After all these tradeoffs, there is a full blown Store awaiting us.
    (B-but there is an allotted staff to create Store content for us, shush!)

Edit your post before EA sees! Hurry! :s
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Just to add...if the game was selling so well, they wouldn't have Gurus on here doing damage control, trying to convince everyone to buy. We all know that once they have our money they usually disappear. It seems strange to see them panhandling.

Believe me, this is not what I wanted for the series. I even bit the bullet and bought the game just because i don't want my favorite game to fail. But they dug their hole and they knew what they were doing when they removed key features. The game is good and it could have been great, but the features they decided to leave out and then claim difficulties, were unbecoming to long time players. They always count on us to just hand them our money blindly, they don't realise that many of us are adults who are capable of making informed decisions.

Yes! You'll find that if we didn't care about the sims future we wouldn't bother coming in to the forums to try to get a message to EA on their official forums about what is bothering many long term sims fans, and how they can improve this to turn this train wreck around! I have been a sims fan since the first sims and never have I seen such a disaster of a release from a sims game. Each version had their fans but in each one most people moved along and got used to the game pretty quickly-and the forums were all about how to find the new features, sharing stories. I had Sims4 preordered as soon as I could, and I heard the discontent on the boards about the missing features but because of loyalty to the game I gave it a fair go. I feel the reason they weren't happy to have mass reviews before release was because they suspected this backlash and were trying to prevent more people hearing of our reservations and being put off before they had our money. Not everyone can get their money back-if you bought in a store like I did then it doesn't apply.
    I know this game is not worth what I paid for it and I think the amount of people with similar opinions shows what a mess we are highlighting. If it was just two or three people 'moaning' as you other people put it then it would be one thing. But for pity's sake you only need to look at the feedback section of the forum to see there are real problems with this game and it's release! That's even without looking at reviews from fans on sites where you can buy the game! If you don't want to read people's opinions then don't open this topic, find one you want to read!

The sad part is that this is sort of a ride or die moment. If they can't get enough people to buy the game, they will stop developments prematurely. We may see only 1 or 2 EPs and then that's the end of the series. But it will end, not because there is no interest, but because marketing doesn't understand (and never has) why people buy this game. --And the developers aren't much better. I don't know how loud we have been screaming and begging for certain things and then we go ignored, meanwhile, they simplify the game so much that it is no longer a game.

And I always hear EA say that the majority of the people who buy their games are new players. I bet it is reversed for The Sims, though. The people who play this game will continue if the game is good. The people who don't won't just randomly decide to pick it up. And if they were expecting to entice people during E3 and GamesCon, sadly, they just made the game look ridiculous with their presentations.
  • Options
    lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    i agree with you except on the open world part. that's probably the biggest thing they tried to pass off as a 'trade-off' for smoother gameplay
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

The sad part is that this is sort of a ride or die moment. If they can't get enough people to buy the game, they will stop developments prematurely. We may see only 1 or 2 EPs and then that's the end of the series. But it will end, not because there is no interest, but because marketing doesn't understand (and never has) why people buy this game. --And the developers aren't much better. I don't know how loud we have been screaming and begging for certain things and then we go ignored, meanwhile, they simplify the game so much that it is no longer a game.

And I always hear EA say that the majority of the people who buy their games are new players. I bet it is reversed for The Sims, though. The people who play this game will continue if the game is good. The people who don't won't just randomly decide to pick it up. And if they were expecting to entice people during E3 and GamesCon, sadly, they just made the game look ridiculous with their presentations.

Yes! I know plenty of fellow sims fans who ONLY play the sims and we are fiercely loyal to the series. New players are great, but your loyal long term fans are a captive audience-we plough money into this game and all we expect quality and a whole new instalment to the series to be exciting and a huge improvement to the one beforehand. Quite clearly just reading from the feedback thread there's a lot of work to be done and the sims will only survive if EA are willing to look at what people are saying and try to see what can be done.
    I'm glad some people love the game-but that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to be disappointed in this version and discuss this.
  • Options
    daltondougdaltondoug Posts: 618 Member

I think the problem with devs is mostly they put things they think will be fun to play, but don't actually know the final product. One game is fun when you can play it for 10+ hours without getting bored. Putting cool stuff won't help in that regards
  • Options
    daltondoug wrote: »

I think the problem with devs is mostly they put things they think will be fun to play, but don't actually know the final product. One game is fun when you can play it for 10+ hours without getting bored. Putting cool stuff won't help in that regards

That sounds about right.

Honestly, who in development thought no toddlers and teens that look exactly like adults was a good thing?

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    faerieladyfaerielady Posts: 172 Member

That sounds about right.

Honestly, who in development thought no toddlers and teens that look exactly like adults was a good thing?

Is my computer the only one that shows a difference in teens and adults?? I see it when I am up talking to them. Their faces are a little more rounded out and just plain look younger. I spot them easily and have only been wrong a couple of times.
  • Options
    faerielady wrote: »

That sounds about right.

Is my computer the only one that shows a difference in teens and adults?? I see it when I am up talking to them. Their faces are a little more rounded out and just plain look younger. I spot them easily and have only been wrong a couple of times.

For a LOT of people you cannot tell. I have a plump sim teen gal and a skinny adult male. Side by side they have the same height and I would have mistaken the male as a teen if I didn't know better. In Sims2 and Sims3 you could tell RIGHT AWAY who was a teen and who was not.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Good point! I think with The Sims, it is really important to visualize a modular game. This game should have replay value, something that made TS2 so great. You could literally change the game to suit your needs and play style. They should know that linear play fails in this game, look at WA and Ambitions. Those got really boring, really fast.

I think they were trying their best with TS4, I honestly do. I see that the thought that went into what is there is good. I will give them credit for that, however, it is still a buggy mess and missing standard features. That will never bode well with potential customers and those that are just entering the series are not in the strong numbers that they think will. Most kids don't have $60 to shell out on a game and most don't want to. Kids these days are mobile with short attention spans. They should cater to their core fans every whim because we're still here, even those who haven't purchased the game are still here. They need to just be straight with us and tell us their plans. Let us know what they intend to do and how they plan to fix the issues. Because right now it seems like their potential [former] customers are going to be dropping the series altogether.
  • Options
    calmorezoocalmorezoo Posts: 8,105 Member
    the loading screens and size of world/neighbourhood are just so more people who never upgrade or properly mantain their computers Who still have XP based tec. will buy the game.
    the rest is yet to be seen content wise.
    h2xmsbl]

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    They definitely need to fire their PR Team. It was quite obvious that info was being released before decisions on certain things were actually made.

I think they actually did fire their head of that a few days ago.
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    They definitely need to fire their PR Team. It was quite obvious that info was being released before decisions on certain things were actually made.

I think they actually did fire their head of that a few days ago.

What about the pleb who was trying to seduce models on twitter with CAS demos?
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Good point! I think with The Sims, it is really important to visualize a modular game. This game should have replay value, something that made TS2 so great. You could literally change the game to suit your needs and play style. They should know that linear play fails in this game, look at WA and Ambitions. Those got really boring, really fast.
    Those were my two favorite EPs (I did like Supernatural, as well, for the most part). Not because of the RPG elements but because of the gameplay that they made available--going on vacation, additional recipes, Sim Fu, exploring tombs, being able to have a non-traditional career as a career and actually being involved in my sim's job actively. I didn't really pay attention to the RPG elements much, just played and enjoyed them for what I wanted.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited September 2014
    I think it's hilarious that they said they made teens the same height as adults to save time so they'll have time to do other features, then they leave out toddlers, pools, CASt, terrain sculpting, varied venues, etc. LOL!

Now, the game DOES have a ton of awesome clutter objects, and a ton of awesome clothes and some neat items. Everything looks detailed and nice. There is more detail on little things like coffee pots than there was in Sims 3. But it looks like they sacrificed some major gameplay for all these little wonderful items.

EDIT: I have to add that I wouldn't actually mind teens being the same height if only there was an easy way to tell them apart from the adults.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    To say that they "cut corners" would be a bit of an understatement. Not only are several things missing that just shouldn't be, we were led to believe so many different things throughout the entire sims 4 unavailing process! At first we were told that all the life states (or ages, rather) would be in The Sims 4, and that obviously ended up not happening. We were told that one of the reasons that the Create-A-Style was out was because colors had an effect on sims emotional states (I knew that that wouldn't end up working), then they said that wasn't a feature of the game and pretended like that was never mentioned. Then we were told you could pick whether your sim was right handed or left handed, then they backtracked and said it was a random animation that may or may not happen to one of your sims. The list goes on and on! That's one of the reasons why so many people started to get upset over the summer is because we were told so many amazing things (and not-so amazing things) about the sims and the game itself, then the second half of the summer was pretty much the gurus backtracking all day long on Twitter. It was such a mess...it was almost comical.

Precisely.

We were told we would be able to own cars.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    Penelope wrote: »
    I think it's hilarious that they said they made teens the same height as adults to save time so they'll have time to do other features, then they leave out toddlers, pools, CASt, terrain sculpting, varied venues, etc. LOL!
    ~

Head-scratching.

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

Those were my two favorite EPs (I did like Supernatural, as well, for the most part). Not because of the RPG elements but because of the gameplay that they made available--going on vacation, additional recipes, Sim Fu, exploring tombs, being able to have a non-traditional career as a career and actually being involved in my sim's job actively. I didn't really pay attention to the RPG elements much, just played and enjoyed them for what I wanted.

Exactly this, WA, ambitions, and supernatural added a ton of content outside of the RPG stuff. Self employed was WAY more fun than a job. Don't forget nectar too, that aged and increased in quality in your basement. Those were also my favorite EPs.