Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIX FOR SEVERE LAG

Comments

• Options
    jermanijermani Posts: 187 Member
    edited November 2013
    I am having the same issues.On Sunday I open a new game in Sunset Valley with new sims I created.Once into to the game it had some lag so I didnt put to much into it.Around noon sims time I notice the time under where it tell the weather had stop while my sims slowly carry on.My game werent stuck or freezing because I can move the mouse around and change the angles, just the time itself.It would be 12:00,the clock stops and then it would start working at 12:25 or so and the sims would still be in the same action.For me it does'nt happen at a set time,just about anytime it chooses.What's annoying is that sometimes it happen almost the entire hour or about every hour.This was without mods.I then install a few mods to see if it could help and it is still the same way.I havent had my sims travel to the future or any other worlds, so it's not anything about traveling in my case.I have been following this thread but i'm still alittle lost.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2013
    Do you have the tree of prosperity ? It's a store premium content.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    jermanijermani Posts: 187 Member
    edited November 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    Do you have the tree of prosperity ? It's a store premium content.
    yea I have it and also the playpen.
    its not in any of my saves..I never used it before and im not sure I downloaded
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited November 2013
    I can confirm everything with my corrupted game.

I installed DebugEnabler and dumped the alarms. The XML generated from my game showed the same alarms for the TreeofProsperity. I then uninstalled the TreeofProsperity object with my game launcher. When I started the same corrupted game the lag and clock problems were gone.

Many thanks to everyone at Nrass, Cyron43, crinrct and everyone else who helped to solve this problem.

Does someone plan to report the TreeofProsperity problem to the EA bug team/store team?
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited November 2013
    @crin: I installed all items which were already in my downloads folder but I'm going to try it with a fresh download now.
    The save I uploaded had no tree of prosperity neither placed somewhere in the world nor in the inventory to the best of my knowledge. It's a fresh game, the showtime and Ambitions venues have been placed automatically. The only things I placed manually are the astronomer rabbit hole, the bot shop and the OL shopping mall.

@All Simmers who have this issue and the tree of prosperity: Please uninstall the tree of prosperity via the Launcher and see if that fixes it.

@Sincerbox: The bug team is following this thread and I think they will be soon aware of it if not already. :)
    However a confirmation from their side would be nice. :wink:
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    UPDATE: So I downloaded and installed the tree of prosperity again and the lag is back!
    Bye bye crystal tree. :twisted:
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited November 2013
    SQUEEEEE! I'm so very happy the problem has been discovered!

And that answers the question of why my game was running so smoothly -- I hadn't yet installed any store stuff, so the tree wasn't in my game. And the mermaid testing game with LL installed, which has the tree, was still a new game, so the problem didn't have time to rear its head.

I've been playing my old DV save game, with all store stuff installed as of DV, and that one has, so far, played perfectly. It has the tree installed, but again, I have not played it long enough for the errors to mount.

I do have a question: I have read that the alarms will follow from one save to the next. I get that. But, will they piggyback on lots saved out of a corrupt game? Or sims?

EDIT: Cyron, when you uninstalled the tree the first time, did it also uninstall LL?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    amjoie wrote:
    I do have a question: I have read that the alarms will follow from one save to the next. I get that. But, will they piggyback on lots saved out of a corrupt game? Or sims?

EDIT: Cyron, when you uninstalled the tree the first time, did it also uninstall LL?

I can't answer your first question as I didn't test it yet but please bear with me, I'm so happy my game is running again I don't want to risk anything more.

About your second question: Well the installed worlds folder has Lunar Lakes still in it and the launcher didn't say anything about uninstalling LL.
    I will not touch LL until that tree has been updated.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh and crin: Could you please ask Twallan if this behavior of transporting the alarm stack to other saves is a general issue? Maybe Twallan can write some cleanup mod. That's something which should not happen as it unnecessarily bloats it with crap - or maybe the bug team can fix it?
    Just clear the alarm stack/list/array/whatever when back to main menu should do the trick.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited November 2013
    @Cyron

When you are ready I think it would be helpful to update the OP and thread title with the solution to this specific lag problem. There are others out there that have had the issue that might not be following this thread as faithfully as I have been.

/edit: :oops: Nervermind....
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh yeah right Sincerbox. I'm going to update the title right now. Thank you. :)
    And thank you very much for the great team work. *Hugs*
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    amjoie wrote:

I can't answer your first question as I didn't test it yet but please bear with me, I'm so happy my game is running again I don't want to risk anything more.

About your second question: Well the installed worlds folder has Lunar Lakes still in it and the launcher didn't say anything about uninstalling LL.
    I will not touch LL until that tree has been updated.

I can sure understand that! :D

After some play time soothes those over-worked and much frustrated nerve endings, if you could do a factory reset and place the bad save in there and then save your sim's house into exports, and then start a new factory reset with a new save and install the exported house from the bad save -- whew -- and then place the house in the world, and play it for a few minutes, and then (finally) check the save for alarms errors. If you do all that, we could answer the question of whether houses/lots/sims saved to bin or exports from those bad saves are still safe to play.

It might also help the bug team to know whether those alarms are attaching to just saves or also to other stuff. :)

You are performing a real public service, and it is soooo appreciated. (hugs)

EDIT: Oh, and Cyron, could you please post the fix in Crinrict's bug thread, so she has a post to link to on the first page, with the problem and fix?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Well thank you amjoie. :)
    You know the steps so why don't YOU do it and become part of that effort?
    I have done a heck of a lot in the last days to get this fixed and I'm exhausted.
    I am going to just relax and enjoy the game now.

Crin is following this thread and I am confident she will do whatever is necessary. :wink:
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited November 2013
    i can confirm this...

i too had a LL save that this was happening too...tryed everything to figure it out...but just gave up...and moved it too a nice safe place...

i just tryed your suggestion...uninstalled the TOP...and wala...my sim moves right...no lag..to time stop...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Oh and crin: Could you please ask Twallan if this behavior of transporting the alarm stack to other saves is a general issue? Maybe Twallan can write some cleanup mod. That's something which should not happen as it unnecessarily bloats it with crap - or maybe the bug team can fix it?
    Just clear the alarm stack/list/array/whatever when back to main menu should do the trick.

TBH, he's pretty busy with RL atm so I don't wanna bother him. I can post it in my thread over there and see if he has any opinion on it.

So one more question: Is it only contiguous if you DON'T quit the game ? If you reload the entire game in between and start another game, does it not roll over to other saves ? Is a game affected whether you save it or not ?
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Well thank you amjoie. :)
    You know the steps so why don't YOU do it and become part of that effort?
    I have done a heck of a lot in the last days to get this fixed and I'm exhausted.
    I am going to just relax and enjoy the game now.

Crin is following this thread and I am confident she will do whatever is necessary. :wink:

Oh I would love to, and I'm frustrated I can't. I don't have a corrupted save to use in order to test it. I couldn't ever get the problem to happen in my game. I wanted to download your corrupted save, but I'm on the last few days of my limited broadband, and limping to when they reset it, using as little as possible so I don't get shut down for the last couple of days in the cycle.

But I was thinking about the whole issue. And it seems to come down to two things:

1. The game needs to be coded so that alarms no longer follow one save to the next, in order to avoid spreading corruption from one game to another. This is a huge issue that would affect any alarms, not just one faulty PC item. So it needs a fix, asap.

2. The crystal tree from LL was throwing alarms. But the question is "why?" Is it always going to throw alarms in anyone's unmodded game? Or did the first initial alarm throwing happen only in modded games, and then spread from one game to the next because of #1, above.

Those might, actually, be two separate issues. If the tree itself is not the issue in an unmodded game, the fact remains that alarms should NOT be allowed to transfer from one game to the next. But I am still curious about that tree.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the LL crystal tree in a game that was NEVER, ever modded?

• Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited November 2013
    Has anyone experienced this problem with the LL crystal tree in a game that was NEVER, ever modded?

Me....and now its fixed...i have no mods or 3rd party content
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Another question would be: Is the issue only present in games that don't have the tree placed and is it actually a 1.63 patch issue/ITF or did it occur before ?

I don't have the EP but I do have the patch, so I guess I could try it but the issue is that you're saying it doesn't appear right away. I don't really have that much time to test. Still many post need to be written.

There must be some other factors involved or many more people would have this issue. It seems that once you have the bug, it spreads and it's due to the tree but what makes it occur in the first place ? What is firing those alarms ?
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    So one more question: Is it only contiguous if you DON'T quit the game ?
    If you reload the entire game in between and start another game, does it not roll over to other saves ?
    That's right. However that alarm loop can start in every game whether the tree is placed or not, whether it's in someone's inventory or not.
    crinrict wrote:
    Is a game affected whether you save it or not ?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. In one of my tests I entered the corrupt world, went back to the main menu without saving, started an all new world and the lag was there.

@amjoie and crin: Why the tree bursts into an alarm loop can only be answered by an EA developer or perhaps by some savvy modder.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited November 2013
    :shock: When you say lag how bad is it because I still have the tree of prosperity and I haven't seen a huge lagging to make a difference if its in my game or not.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @pepperjax1230: You can find the description in my initial post.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. In one of my tests I entered the corrupt world, went back to the main menu without saving, started an all new world and the lag was there.

Guess I need to rephrase this.

Scenario: You have a savegame that is affected like the one you've uploaded. That's the one that's 'sick'.

Now you start ANOTHER game entirely which does not have the issue(restarting the game). The game does not have the lag, at least not right away. Now it starts to be affected to but you do not save the game but simply quit. It the lag be back right away, next time you start that game (with reload of the game of course) or would you need to play the same amount of time to have it back you had before) ?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Also, would any savegame get the lag sooner or later if you have the tree installed ?
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hope I'm not throwing a spanner into the great work here so far, but I fired up the game for the first time in months recently, new installation, only basic Twallan mods - no Lunar Lakes/ToP installed - and had a bizarre hang similar to those described.

I just dumped my alarms, and that appears normal, so I assumed my hang was unrelated...

...however, while I am not currently seeing any hanging outside of the ordinary, my clock is skipping sim-minutes. I'll watch and see if this situation deteriorates. Perhaps it has always been happening and I never noticed before.

Outside of today I don't have much time, but I'll try to keep track of what's going on and contribute anything I can.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hope I'm not throwing a spanner into the great work here so far, but I fired up the game for the first time in months recently, new installation, only basic Twallan mods - no Lunar Lakes/ToP installed - and had a bizarre hang similar to those described.

I just dumped my alarms, and that appears normal, so I assumed my hang was unrelated...

...however, while I am not currently seeing any hanging outside of the ordinary, my clock is skipping sim-minutes. I'll watch and see if this situation deteriorates. Perhaps it has always been happening and I never noticed before.

Outside of today I don't have much time, but I'll try to keep track of what's going on and contribute anything I can.

Nevermind. Misread your post. You said the alarm thing was not a problem, and I read it as if it were the problem. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    Scenario: You have a savegame that is affected like the one you've uploaded. That's the one that's 'sick'.

Now you start ANOTHER game entirely which does not have the issue(restarting the game). The game does not have the lag, at least not right away. Now it starts to be affected to but you do not save the game but simply quit. It the lag be back right away, next time you start that game (with reload of the game of course) or would you need to play the same amount of time to have it back you had before) ?

@crin: In this scenario the game runs normal because the alarm stack ain't got persisted anywhere. However I can't tell you if it takes the same amount of time until the lag shows as I didn't use a stop watch. From my feeling I would say yes. It begins pretty soon (immediately or after a few Sim-minutes) that we can recognize the clock skipping seconds. At first one, then three, then 15 and so on. At least that's my experience. We see other Simmers talk about Sim-weeks until it happens.
    crinrict wrote:
    Also, would any savegame get the lag sooner or later if you have the tree installed ?
    Absolutely yes, that's what we found out recently.

EDIT: Oh and thank you for asking Twallan about cleaning the stack. :)
    This space is for rent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top