Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIX FOR SEVERE LAG

Comments

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited November 2013
    My game usually freezes at 3 in the morning sim time I don't know if its from having overwatch in there and it just automatically does it now that it out or if its just a bug. I haven't had that problem before Into The Future.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi guys,

Few follow up questions,

Do you by chance know what your Sim was trying to do when it froze?
    Was it in your home world or had you been traveling a lot?
    Was it with a save game you've had for a while?

Thanks!
    1. Anything, it happens no matter what a Sim is currently doing. For example: My new game in Sunset Valley started with Gobias Koffi just standing in front of his house.
    2. Both
    3. Yes and no, that doesn't matter.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    pak_eapak_ea Posts: 262 New Member
    edited November 2013
    amjoie wrote:
    I'm not on the bug team.

It looks like you are acting like you are on the team though (at least by just reading the first several posts), which confuses people.

What I'm trying to say is the folks reporting these issues know pretty well what they are saying, so instead of sidetracking the topic to answer questions that does not related to the issue. May be just leave it to the Guru to sort it out?

As you said, you are not on the team, so I don't think you really know what the bug team need. May be they are a lot more intelligent than you think.

My 2 cents. :)
  • Options
    sja253sja253 Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi guys,

Few follow up questions,

Thanks!

Hi there,

When I first noticed this issue my sim was in Oasis Landing. I think she was trying to sell a plumbot at the time - the game hung and when it cleared my plumbot had been sold but I didn't get the money for it. The clock problem got worse after that.

That sim had travelled to University once and did about 3 trips back and forth between present and future. Other saves effected - the worse one is a family I had moved between worlds previously. Thinking about it, that is the same situation with another save ( changing worlds). Edit: I didn't try older saves until after the problem had arisen in the sim I had created two days prior to getting ITF.

The first sim with issue - game was newish. Started it on the Tuesday, got ITF on the Thursday. So not an old save. Other saves are a bit older that I had for a while.

Hope that reads ok (typing this on Ipad).
  • Options
    SimGuruConnicusSimGuruConnicus Posts: 73
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the Info! Feel free to let me know anything else you may have noticed around the issue!
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited November 2013
    I have the stalling problem too. It's not the clock freezing. If I have more than one sim, one of them will stall, and the other one keeps going. All the while the clock keeps going and needs keep dropping. I'm not sure if the needs are dropping faster than usual but it could be. The first time I noticed the problem was when it took over an hour to go from the backyard to the toilet. Then it was taking 4 or 5 hours just to get leftovers from the fridge and eat them.

I give a command say, "Eat Leftovers..." and they stand around for a half hour to 45 minutes. Then they will start moving. If there is a door or archway in the way, more than likely they will freeze up just before passing through. Then they get to the fridge and stand there for a half hour. Then they get the plate from the fridge and stand there for a half hour. Then walk to the table, and freeze. Put the plate on the table and freeze. Sit down, freeze. Start eating, freeze halfway through. That's when I gave up, canceled and hit "Make All Happy" on the cheats.

After I patched, and then installed Into the Future, I had a problem with my saved games and had to make a new The Sims 3 directory and install all my store content again. I don't have any CC, and no mods at the time. I was able to copy back my actual game save for Lucky Palms and use that with 2 sims (Susan and Mary Test) that had just graduated from University. They went to the future and stayed there for 4 or 5 weeks before coming back to the present with their Plumbot. After they had been in the present for 2 more weeks, they started the stalling. I hadn't been using cheats before, but I had to keep using "Make All Happy" to keep them from dying. I installed the updated versions of Nrass Error Trap and Overwatch, but that didn't help, so I erased my mods directory to remove them. They had only been on one trip to the Future, and one return to the past before the problems started.

So I started a new game in Moonlight Falls with a single sim, still with no mods or CC at all. She went to the future, made some Plumbots, got married, engineered and engineered a child. It's been 4 1/2 weeks, they have made several trips back and forth between the future and past. No major lag yet, but it was 5 or 6 weeks on the other one before it got bad enough to noticed.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @SimGuruConnicus: I have found something that's probably interesting for the bug team.
    - As I said I started a new Sunset Valley and had that lag type 2 immediately.

- Then I uninstalled everything and reinstalled.

- I started another new game also in Sunset Valley with Gobias. This time all is well.

- I went back to the main menu without saving, loaded the corrupt Sunset Valley game from before and the lag was there again.

Now it comes:
    - Went back to the main menu without saving and loaded the new save which was okay before but now it had the same lag.

- Shut down the game and started again.

- Loaded the save which was good before and it's okay again.

So it seems that something crashes (or deadlock?) in the running game code and kind of transports the corruption into another save.

I repost the link to the corrupt save. Maybe that helps your team to find the bug faster.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/hk34s425lgdxkjx/LagTest.sims3.rar
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited November 2013
    pak_ea wrote:
    amjoie wrote:
    I'm not on the bug team.

It looks like you are acting like you are on the team though (at least by just reading the first several posts), which confuses people.

What I'm trying to say is the folks reporting these issues know pretty well what they are saying, so instead of sidetracking the topic to answer questions that does not related to the issue. May be just leave it to the Guru to sort it out?

As you said, you are not on the team, so I don't think you really know what the bug team need. May be they are a lot more intelligent than you think.

My 2 cents. :)

She may not be on the "bug team" but she is asking questions that anyone on the "bug team" would ask. These questions are necessary to successfully troubleshoot and figure out what the cause is. The answers will provide the answers that the bug team needs to figure out if the problem is caused by the user's computer or other external factors or if it is actually caused by the game itself.
    The bug team is not psychic. They can't just gather the answers without the questions being asked.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Come on people I don't want fights here. Please let us keep this thread impartial.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi guys,

Few follow up questions,

Thanks!

The game that I had to abandon was mostly played at University with 2 short trips to OL.

I think it is going to be extremely difficult to identify what combinations of actions might trigger the error. In my case, the corruption of the clock was very gradual. I have a fairly good computer so when I get mild lag I don't recognize it immediately. It's sorta like the chicken pox. You are contagious before you know you are sick. So what happens when the clock skips every other second? I just don't notice it. But with continued play it gets worse - skipping 5 seconds at a time. You are probably starting to notice but you can still play. It keeps getting worse until everything just slows to a near stop. I was in Midnight Hollow when I noticed the problem. But I went back to a previous save when my sim was at University and the lag was every bit as bad there. And I hadn't even noticed any lag being present there when I saved that older stage of the game.

So what Cyron is reporting makes a lot of sense. Once the error occurs you will probably get it in any game you load up and if you save over that game while you are having the error the saved game is toast.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited November 2013
    The save I had to toss took place in Lunar Lakes and Oasis Landing. The sims in question did not go to University. Then it happened again, in Lunar Lakes and with University. I had to toss the same save. I have now started again in a different town with a single Sim. So far I am 3 simdays in after one trip to Oasis Landing and am starting to notice the clock beginning to skip minutes at a time. It's playable now but I'm guessing it probably won't be in a few.
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2013
    @cyron: chain_reaction from over at NRaas took a look at your savegame. Here's some results: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/share/view/64593414?replyId=66917456 (scroll down). Any ideas to what they say ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Hello crin,
    I have also generated an alarm list yesterday night. It was over 15MB in size and it's also mostly filled the TreeOfProsperity alarms (fruit change event). However I don't have that tree placed anywhere in that save. :shock:
    Is it possible that this tree is spawned automaticlly by the game?
    I tried another save which is also borked and get the same. However there was that tree of Prosperity. Removing it didn't help much. The total lag type 2 over hours got less worse and is now down to a 3 second clock freeze but now it's combined with lag type 1.
    I will do further testing today.
    It will begin with uninstalling the tree of prosperity! I hope it can be uninstalled separately. If not I will throw the whole Lunar Lakes installation into the bin! :evil:
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    @cyron: chain_reaction from over at NRaas took a look at your savegame. Here's some results: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/share/view/64593414?replyId=66917456 (scroll down). Any ideas to what they say ?

Most of what I read there confirms what we have been saying. That this lag has nothing to do with the traditional problems which cause lag. It isn't routing errors, stuck sims or animals, too many cars. The games themselves are corrupted. I still have no clue what causes the original corruption.

I continue to play my mod-free game to see if I get the error. But I am playing it as normal and it takes a lot of time to get through 12 sim weeks or more.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Hello crin,
    I have also created an alarm list yesterday night. It was over 15MB in size and it's also mostly filled the TreeOfProsperity alarms. However I don't have that tree placed anywhere in that save. :shock:
    I tried another save which is also borked and get the same. However there was that tree of Prosperity. Removing it didn't help much. The total lag type 2 over hours got less worse and is now down to a 3 second clock freeze but now it's combined with lag type 1.
    It will begin with uninstalling the tree of prosperity! I hope it can be uninstalled separately. If not I will throw the whole Lunar Lakes installation into the bin! :evil:

In the game I got the corruption I had not placed the Tree of Prosperity anywhere. However, while my sim was at University he got gifted a Tree of Prosperity and I left it in the family inventory in case he should decide to use it at some point. In my current game in Sunset Valley in which I am not have this problem....yet...I placed The Tree of Prosperity at the Landgraab Science Institute. I will continue to play with the Tree in game to see if anything crops up.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    We will make it, I feel it. :)
    Thank you so much for the support of you all (that includes the bug team of course). :thumbup:
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Hello crin,
    I have also generated an alarm list yesterday night. It was over 15MB in size and it's also mostly filled the TreeOfProsperity alarms (fruit change event). However I don't have that tree placed anywhere in that save. :shock:

I would suggest to make a new folder and not install any store content at all. Just plain game with expansion.

You don't need to toss the other folder. Just make a fresh one without putting anything back and test if you get the error on that too. It seems that already borked games can't be saved.

As for the contiguousness. There as another bug that did this. When they introduced the moving to other worlds feature that was not working when you said yes to the answer. You could then not move anymore or go travel. If you started a new game or reloaded your game without closing the game, the next save was affected by this too.

So I think it's important to close the game before trying another game.
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2013
    THE LAG IS GONE!
    THE LAG IS GONE!

*Gasp*
    Just uninstall the tree of prosperity! :D
    I generated a new alarm list and it appears to be normal this time.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/24705a24n6pw6j6/Alarm_list_after_uninstallation_of_Tree_of_prosperity.rar

Thank you crin for the heads up about the moving option. I have never used it. Somehow I might have felt it could be a trap.

Big hugs to all for your support.

Now all that's left to do is some confirmations from other Simmers.

And I second what crin said about restarting the game before loading another world.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So we have two PC that doesn't work right anymore: Tree of Prosperity and the toddler pen ...

Is that the same save game ? You just uninstalled the Tree ?

EDIT: Did you reinstall your Store content after creating a new folder or did you just move the stuff back ? Might be worth trying two things.

- Redownload the Store Content patch
    - Redownload a fresh copy of the tree and reinstall it. Maybe even reinstall all store content.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    So we have two PC that doesn't work right anymore: Tree of Prosperity and the toddler pen ...

Is that the same save game ? You just uninstalled the Tree ?
    Yep! :D
    EDIT: What's the toddler pen?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Did you reinstall your Store content after creating a new folder or did you just move the stuff back ? Might be worth trying two things.

- Redownload the Store Content patch
    - Redownload a fresh copy of the tree and reinstall it. Maybe even reinstall all store content.

Toddler pen is another PC that you can put your toddlers in. Came with a venue, can't say which one: http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:60989
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2013
    After reinstalling the whole game yesterday I also reinstalled all store content and I also got the store content patch notification.
    I don't cry after that tree. I haven't used it in ages anyway.

So that toddler pen is also borked? :?
    Also lag type 2 or what?
    BTW that pc came with the daycare venue for Aurora Skies.

Oh and some valuable information for all Simmers. In case you face this kind of lag (type 2 only!) again any time in the future (I mean the real future): you can generate a list of alarms and lookup mass alarms of the same type. That gives an indication what causes this issue.
    You need Twallan's Debug Enabler for this.
    Go to map view and click on the town hall icon.
    Choose nraas -> Debug Enabler -> Options: Town hall -> Write list of alarms
    This will generate a ScriptError XML file (the same naming convention of that which ErrorTrap generates).
    Open it with notepad (preferably notepad++ because the built in notepad takes ages with big file sizes).
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    No, it seems to get stuck once the skill is maxed. For some it's a reset.

EDIT: Did you also re-download a new copy of the tree or use the sims3packs you had ?
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I am not following the discussion on the Tree of Prosperity and what to do.

1) Is an already corrupted game unrecoverable?

2) What do you mean uninstall the Tree of Prosperity? Explain it to me as if I don't know how so there are no confusions.

3) I am playing a game in Sunset Valley now where I have placed the Tree of Prosperity. I don't have the bug yet. Still really confused about this.

4) I have been playing no mods to assure that mods aren't causing my problems. But have never used DebugEnabler before and wouldn't know how to read an XML file.

5) Perhaps if someone could walk me through DebugEnabler I could load up my corrupted game and see if I am getting that alarm on the TreeofProsperity or if it is something else. Just for additional confirmation...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    1) Cyron was able to recover his save after uninstalling the tree.

2) Go to your launcher, search for the tree and hit uninstall.

3) Maybe that's the key. Maybe it works if it's place but not if it's not present in the world. Still a bit foggy here. You said you had it in your family inventory in one game, so maybe that's the issue. Cyron said he didn't have it but did he check his inventory ?

4) Forget that for now. Just try uninstalling the tree.

5) see 4
    AHQ Tutorial

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top