Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIX FOR SEVERE LAG

1101112131416...Next

Comments

• Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited January 2014
    The 1.66 update fixes the ToP issue but I'm not sure if the other lagging issues are present like the town in Island Paradise and Eygpt from World Adventures. I made a 1.66 bug thread to ask if people still have the bugs mentioned in crinrict's ITF bug thread and my previous bug thread.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2014
    I was forced to update after all because awesomemod for 1.63 expires at 01/27.
    Patched to 1.66 now I updated also all nraas mods I use AND I installed the ToP. Everything's running smooth - even smoother than before. I don't know if it's due to the patch or the updated mods but ErrorTrap recorded over 4000 Core.Forwarders which were "out of world" right at the beginning when I entered a save. I can only speculate what Core.Forwarder means but "out of world" means there's no connection to anything.
    Does anyone know what Core.Forwarder is? Is it some kind of data transfer object?

@amjoie: Before you ask, the last time I played this save was last week but ErrorTrap didn't complain in any way. I just had the usual stuttering but that's gone. :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited January 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:

UPDATE 11/07/13: Twallan has updated Overwatch and ErrorTrap to address this issue.
    Go get 'em here: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/
    Thank you so much Twallan for fixing this mess. :D
    The 1.66 update fixes the ToP issue but I'm not sure if the other lagging issues are present like the town in Island Paradise and Eygpt from World Adventures. I made a 1.66 bug thread to ask if people still have the bugs mentioned in crinrict's ITF bug thread and my previous bug thread.

So first, Cyron thank you so much. You (and other great folks like WinMacSims) have put a lot of work into helping players!! :D

My second thing, is I'm at 1.6.3 right now and just starting to experience "pausing" every so often in IP from all the routing failures. I installed IP for the first time a few days ago and at first it was fine but then the pausing started and it sounds like it will get worse? sounds like I should go ahead and patch? And are all the NRass stable for that patch level? But after reading WinMacSim's thread, it doesn't seem like a good idea to patch? What? I'm totally confused.

• Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited January 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    I don't know if it's due to the patch or the updated mods but ErrorTrap recorded over 4000 Core.Forwarders which were "out of world" right at the beginning when I entered a save. I can only speculate what Core.Forwarder means but "out of world" means there's no connection to anything.
    Does anyone know what Core.Forwarder is? Is it some kind of data transfer object?

Someone mentioned in two or three month old thread while I was searching, that as soon as she installed ErrorTrap for Island Paradise, that ET caught about 30 sims trying to route to a lot which no longer existed. She interpreted it to mean, that whoever had built the world, had created a bunch of lots and sims and then right before uploading the whole thing to the servers, deleted and changed some lots.

Perhaps those sims are trying to go to their past (which doesn't exist) or their own future (which also doesn't exist). Honestly, it says way too much about EA's business practices, that they were willing to re-use the same faulty code from World Adventures when the sims travel to University AND IntoTheFuture. I simply do not believe that they're going to do any better when it comes to sims 4. blah.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have never heard about that issue and I am not certain what you mean with a lot that no longer exists. Was it a lot with no house on it or was even the plain ground marker missing?
    NPCs always go to empty lots in order to destroy the visual instance. I guess most Simmers have seen this. An NPC goes to the mailbox of an empty lot and disappears. That's normal and I assume that's nothing ET would complain about. So I guess you mean the lot marker and that's something I can't explain. How can the game try to route Sims to something when there's no information about it anymore? :shock:
    Too bad Twallan has retired. I'd like to know his opinion about it.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2014
    IIRC it was an issue with ErrorTrap itself; its earlier phase destroyed houseboats and the Sims were left stranded with nowhere to go.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Snapdragon wrote:
    IIRC it was an issue with ErrorTrap itself; its earlier phase destroyed houseboats and the Sims were left stranded with nowhere to go.
    Thanks bro, that explains it. :thumbup:
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Ted84playTed84play Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    I am SOOO! glad I found this thread and the nraas files! I cannot thank you folks enough for sharing that with us. Since roughly post Late Night, my games have been lagging Terribly and I wouldn't be able to play after more than a few minutes to a few hours, depending on the day it seemed.

I'm not a debugger or anything, but I'll post what I can and for those in need, feel free to ask more of me so I can provide all relevant logfiles etc incase people want to see what changed in my game to go from suck to win :). First up, I have all the sims 3 content (the stuff packs and the expansions. I have not purchased any of the extra towns) and some store and exchange content. I also always use the "testingcheatsenabled true" code, but never the "moveobjects on" code. I didn't notice the lag until roughly Supernatural came out, which is when I did the following:
    A) grabbed a mod asap to end the sparkly cullen syndrome (seriously EA? Seriously?). No lag.
    B) grabbed a mod to disable the intro (I believe the two mods actually came together). No lag.
    C) moved from the downtown city in Late Night to the village in Supernatural. Some lag starts.
    D) lag varies depending on day and activities. Sometimes gaps of a moment or two, sometimes seconds (15 to 30).
    E) Send my sim off to university as soon as the expansion arrives. Minor lag occurs mostly during travel from building to building.
    F) sim returns from university (not sure if this is relevant, but I took the mystic career and the communications degree) and is no longer able to work at his career path. For two game days I tried to send my sim to work both via the button on the employment tab and by going to the work site and clicking the building and selecting "go to work" (or whatever the actual phrase is that appears). My sim would walk to the door and then stand outside forever.
    G) moved to Isla Paradiso (having purchased all content between supernatural and Island Paradise) to try and start new career and explore new content. Lag still occuring with greater frequency.
    H) experienced lag time up to a full 60+ seconds over the last few days. Found this thread, installed error trap and overwatch. Not sure if I'm getting error trap to log things properly or not, but using overwatch seems to be making a huge difference. Anytime I start lagging, I run overwatch (I'll add the settings if people want. I don't clear the homeless, the dead, the skill modifiers, and I have testing cheats True, and I think that's all). This seems to be fixing the issues, mostly it seems vehicles are being cleared, not sure if this is normal with Island Paradise or not. ITF content seems to run normally as far as I have tried (Haven't moved, and only tried the teleporter to the future once but that was before overwatch). Thoughts/suggestions/ideas? Have we cured the problem? Have we found the main source of bugs for ITF? Is there a log file I can upload here to help?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hi Ted,

C) Each town lags differently. So this could be anything.

D) This sounds pretty much like stuck Sims anywhere in the world. You should get appropriate error messages either from ErrorTrap or Overwatch.

E) Lag during travel is normal (however, about how much lag are you talking? I hope it's just split seconds), especially when you move through it for the first time because the cache hasn't built up yet.

F) Sorry but I won't discuss this here because it would derail the thread. Please make a separate thread about this issue in the "Possible Bugs" section as this is not related to any particular expansion pack.

G) See C.

H.1) Well the source for bugs in ITF is the code itself. A bug is program code that doesn't function right.
    H.2) Isla Paradiso is known for it's abandoned boats. Alas that happens very often there.
    H.3) You want to know if the problems are cured? No they are not. The game still has bugs even after two patches after the release of ITF. If you want to know what's still bugged then head over to the bug thread. It's right on top of this forum. You will also find possible workarounds on Crinrict's website (she made that thread).

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    EnelarEnelar Posts: 75 New Member
    edited March 2014
    My game started doing this instantly after creating a Plumbot. Pre-Plumbot, it was fine and ran extremely smooth. Now my save won't even load, the game stalls at the loading screen if my save is present.

I have 12gb of memory, this shouldn't be happening.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @Enelar: That's no lag. Your save is definitely corrupt. I guess it's a pure coincidence that this happened after your first Plumbot.
    But hey you can fix that. Here is how:
    1. Go to your Saves folder (that's Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves).
    2. You see the save of your Neighborhood? It should be there two times. One is called SomeWorldName.sims3 and SomeWorldName.sims3.backup.
    3. Delete the folder SomeWorldName.sims3
    4. Rename the folder SomeWorldName.sims3.backup to SomeWorldName.sims3
    5. Start Sims 3 and load this neighborhood. It's the one before you saved the last time. So you probably miss out on some hours of gameplay (depending on how often you save).
    6. This is a general recommendation: In order to keep yourself out of trouble you should frequently do backups of your whole Sims 3 folder.

Darn, derailed alrady. Back to topic. :?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    EnelarEnelar Posts: 75 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Wow.. how awful.

Well, I did that but no go. My game won't even load now. It stays at the black screen and then stops responding entirely. I tried clearing out the usual files responsible (the generated cache files, featured items, etc) but no go, nothing. I deleted the saved files entirely and still nothing. My mods folder is a tiny 700mb and compressed into as few files as possible. Is my store content at fault?

How ironic a Plumbot and time lag broke my game. Is ITF just a big pile of bugs?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hi Enelar,
    I know how frustrating that is but please understand that it's important to keep this thread on topic. I suggest you create your own thread about our issues and give as much details as possible. We have many savvy Simmers here and I am positive we can get your problems fixed - but not here please.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    musicman4365musicman4365 Posts: 191 Member
    edited March 2014
    I don't see the tree of prosperity in my launcher, nor can I download it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This is the link to the tree of prosperity:
    http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:47932&categoryId=13177&section=UpSell
    What do you get when you click it?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    musicman4365musicman4365 Posts: 191 Member
    edited March 2014
    Currently not available for individual sale
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Currently not available for individual sale
    Ugh that sucks! :(
    Sorry I couldn't help you but what about Lunar Lakes (the ToP is part of it)? Is that world not your cup of tea?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited March 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    I was forced to update after all because awesomemod for 1.63 expires at 01/27.
    Patched to 1.66 now I updated also all nraas mods I use AND I installed the ToP. Everything's running smooth - even smoother than before. I don't know if it's due to the patch or the updated mods but ErrorTrap recorded over 4000 Core.Forwarders which were "out of world" right at the beginning when I entered a save. I can only speculate what Core.Forwarder means but "out of world" means there's no connection to anything.

@amjoie: Before you ask, the last time I played this save was last week but ErrorTrap didn't complain in any way. I just had the usual stuttering but that's gone. :)

I think I know what the core forwards are. Its EA story progression for worlds outside the base words, when your home world ages so does all worlds your homeworld is connected too. I might not know munch about Sims 3, but I do know a little about coding. The world before World Adventures was TS3.exe, but to keep it a open world they still needed the world adventure neighborhoods to age with the main neighborhood, so they created TS3w.exe. I have found this out when I played Riverview, The Sim family that I was really good friends with, I got a announcement that said, "Family name has moved away from the neighborhood, they will surely be missed. I lost 3 good friends, but 3 days later they appeared in China married to one of the store owners when I went to the house to confirm it. So just because you get a message that says sims have left the town or city does not mean they won't show up again.

Edit: Side note: University, and all WA worlds use the aging of the homeworld, Into the Future world may be a copy of the basic homeworld to allow the aging in that world. I do not think they share the same code as UL and WA worlds as you can still age in OL, so it must be a future copy of the base world and the days in that world only pass when its active otherwise it would be winter in OL same as base world if that was the case.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    I think I know what the core forwards are. Its EA story progression for worlds outside the base words, when your home world ages so does all worlds your homeworld is connected too.
    Sorry Sid but I don't believe that. I am a developer and I can tell you that only people who never heard of naming conventions would use it the way you think it is. "Core" is a namespace and "Forwarder" is most likely a general purpose message pipe inside of the Core namespace (In developer terms "message" is any kind of data package). Otherwise it wouldn't be called just Forwarder. Also the forwarder being a part of the Core is another indication for it's general purpose. Probably forwarders are instances of a Forwarder class with delegates which point to certain methods which consume the data packages (pub-sub pattern) and they are registered in an event broker. Now when some item (like the ToP) gets deleted there are still message forwarders registered for the ToP when we load a save but the connection is broken of course. That's what "out of world" means because they point to nowhere.
    Usually those errors are silently swallowed outside of the debug mode because this is something which can happen of course and the developers at EA cared for it. Otherwise the game would crash whenever there's a broken connection in the message pipe.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    WhantSomeEggsWhantSomeEggs Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2014
    I've been following this post here and there for awhile, but for the most part I just stopped playing in IP town, because I don't use mods. I like having mermaid sims though, and I use to love IP while it was working before ITF came out(I NEVER had a problem with IP before the patch for ITF and my subsequent purchase of it). I uninstalled the tree of prosperity, and the fruit from my installed content. I didn't touch the LL town, because I actually really like that town. I recently moved my new family from Bridgeport to IP because, I figured since I deleted that stuff it would work. I used to have the kind of lag when it would take a long time for sims to do something that their needs would deplete, but time would still go, but this time I just keep having intermittent freezes every half sim hour(roughly half a minute ish). I cleaned my cache out and restarted the game, and the freezes went away for almost a sim week, and then an hour later of playing they came back. I've only had them in this hood for a few sim days, so I can't imagine a lot of crap is clogging up my system(abandoned vehicles, boats, items in townie inventories). I don't have pets either, so no wild animals. This is the only neighborhood I EVER have game problems with, but I like the diving and boating and all the island stuff... I might just install the mods mentioned here after all, but I would rather not use them if I don't have to. Any suggestions are much appreciated. :cry:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Any suggestions are much appreciated. :cry:
    Well this game is just crap WITHOUT mods. All the nraas mods as well as awesomemod are robust and safe to use as long as you don't run a command which you don't know about. So my suggestion is: give them mods a chance.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ok, so I installed overwatch, and also errortrap. As soon as I did a clean up with overwatch it seemed like the freezes stopped but a few minutes later it was doing it again. Im trying to figure out how to find the logs for errortrap, or where to save a log, I dont see any options for this mod on the city hall, and I didnt see anything in my sims 3 directory, at least not immediately. Have to go to work now, so Ill have to work on this later. If this still doesn't work I'll probably just move the family to Monte Vista or somewhere else lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Reoccuring lags after a while of smooth gameplay are usually caused by stuck Sims. Especially highrises have these flaws. Whenever a Sim is reset he respawns on his home lot. In case it's a highrise he usually respawns within that dark inaccessible area at ground level and there's no way out unless you place a door.
    Alas Isla Paradiso has also some places where Sims get stuck.

About the settings: Go to map view not edit town. Find the town hall icon. Click on it and you should see a menu entry called "nraas" (maybe you have to click "more..." first). Click on nraas and you will see all installed nraas mods listed as a separate menu entry. Click on Overwatch and then on settings.
    NOTE: ErrorTrap has NO menu entry as it works completely autonomous.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    well it said it cleaned up 78 abandoned vehicles, I was impressed in such a short amount of time the sims in town had abandoned so many vehicles, or maybe it just cleans up ALL vehicles not owned by the current household? idk. It also said it recovered 2 missing sims. I don't know what it means by missing. And after about 5 real time minutes it gave a message that it got 2 sims unstuck also. So I know it was working, I also found the option at the town hall and enabled everything. While it stopped freezing for a short amount of time the game did seem smoother and my save games load 10x faster. Alas, the freezes returned after a short time again. As for errortrap, I'm just wondering where in my directory I can find the logs then. I looked but I didnt see anything that stuck out to me as a log file, unless it has an unusual, non-obvious, filename.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top