Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

a crusade to stop the strays, a kind request to the simgurus who create updates for our games

Comments

• Options
    VanessaVennerVanessaVenner Posts: 347 Member
    edited April 2013
    Queenie08 thank you kindly. Your name is on the list.
  • Options
    SelahGioSelahGio Posts: 756 Member
    edited April 2013
    I agree! Even though I just uninstalled pets and probably won't be installing it back in. I hope someone can make this possible for those who keep the ep installed.
  • Options
    Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    edited April 2013
    I would very much like this option, so add my name to the list.

My game now glitches into being completely unplayable when my household adopts any pet (via newspaper, phone or stray on lot). I am tired of building all my parks with fences and gates to keep horses out. And yes, I am tender-hearted. The first time a saw a stray in the snow, I was all :cry::cry::cry: And maybe that is silly to some people, but it does take some of the enjoyment out of my game for me.
  • Options
    mosneakersmosneakers Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited April 2013
    Tanya baby, you need to relax. <3

To the OP, I'd love to sign your petition :D *hugs*
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    To SelahGio, Zoey95 and Mosneakers thank you kindly. Your names are on the list. Hugs.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    mosneakers wrote:
    Tanya baby, you need to relax. <3

Eh, I normally would, but as I hinted earlier, I'm fulfilling a request by someone else for this one. I'll be glad when that part expires and I'm free from it.

The reasoning behind why they wanted me to address this one? Giving players what they want for the reasons why players want it has caused the majority of problems Sims 3 has. People during the Sims 2 era requested an optional lack of doing anything with babies and toddlers... the result is how Sims 3 handles them. People requested the option to park cars wherever they wanted simply because some wanted to put cars in basements; the result is how Sims 3 handles cars. People requested being able to visit other towns run by other players simply because they thought it would be fun; the result is Simport. People requested a grounding system that prevents a teen from going anywhere simply because it would be realistic; the result is the grounding system we got. People requested being able to own businesses and make money off them without as in-depth a system as OFB had simply because they didn't want to be involved in making decisions; well, we've seen the results of that being implemented in Sims 3.

That's why I was asked to step in; the biggest problem Sims 3 had in development was the devs giving people what they wanted for the reasons why they wanted it.

Note I only gave you the reasoning I was given; nowhere did I state I agree with it.

Personally, I don't care one way or another; I'm irritated a bit at the OP for using the emotional blackmail, but the idea is still a good one. That's why I initially ignored the thread when I spotted it. But, I had to fulfill an obligation :?
  • Options
    LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,794 Member
    edited April 2013
    Queenie08 wrote:
    Haven't come here for any debates, just wanted to say that I would like the option to turn off the strays. I adore animals and my sims usually have pets. But I can't adopt them all So putting everything else aside, I would like that option.
    Hi there! I love your idea of having an option to remove strays. I would like to be added to your list please. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Lissykin thank you kindly. Your name is on the list.
  • Options
    elsievdmelsievdm Posts: 588 Member
    edited April 2013
    Bump
  • Options
    dawnrobdawnrob Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hiya VanessaV your list is growing .. :D .. hiya all just a quick Visit to see how it is going *hugs* :D

Good-Morning-73.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    :mrgreen:
    happy the list is growing
  • Options
    SheDemonSheDemon Posts: 39 New Member
    edited April 2013
    strays have never been a problem in my game. i see them so rarely i forget they exist.
    once in a while a strange dog or cat comes onto my porch and goes away almost as quickly.

altho i suppose being able to turn them off, would be nice.
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2013
    Signed! They annoy me mostly because they get in the way of my sims when they try to leave/enter their home and when I always have to clean up their pee..
  • Options
    bmashlandbmashland Posts: 358 New Member
    edited April 2013
    So far the strays don't bother me, however I carry food for them and give them treats. Not to mention putting the newspaper in doors seems to make them not come around daily like before BUT with that being said...

Where is our Pet Store create-a-pet display like we had in Sims 2... That thing was great. I don't want a misshaped pet. I learned my lesson picking up strays and adopting the ones they put in Sims 2. There is nothing worse then investing into a puppy or kitten to have it end up looking like it just crawled out of a pet cemetery. So much that in this game, I really don't have pets unless I get them from the start so I know what I'm getting.

Start a petition for a pet store! =)
    For now you can add me to this one if you would like, I am not really sure how to sign it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bmashland wrote:
    So far the strays don't bother me, however I carry food for them and give them treats. Not to mention putting the newspaper in doors seems to make them not come around daily like before BUT with that being said...

Where is our Pet Store create-a-pet display like we had in Sims 2... That thing was great. I don't want a misshaped pet. I learned my lesson picking up strays and adopting the ones they put in Sims 2. There is nothing worse then investing into a puppy or kitten to have it end up looking like it just crawled out of a pet cemetery. So much that in this game, I really don't have pets unless I get them from the start so I know what I'm getting.

For now you can add me to this one if you would like, I am not really sure how to sign it.

I know I'm breaking my word, but I must address this.

Pet stores were actually heavily campaigned against before Pets were released. One of the many cited reasons? Real-life puppy mills. That campaign was successful enough to make certain you would never be able to buy or sell pets in Sims 3 without a mod.

So, pretty much, the way it sits right now you can't support pet stores being added without coming across as supporting animal cruelty in this community.

Plus, it is seriously doubtful this will ever be added to Sims 3, simply because of how infrequently already-released EPs get new content added to them (which is pretty much never).

And, back to leaving this thread alone.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bmashland wrote:

Pet stores were actually heavily campaigned against before Pets were released. One of the many cited reasons? Real-life puppy mills. That campaign was successful enough to make certain you would never be able to buy or sell pets in Sims 3 without a mod.

So, pretty much, the way it sits right now you can't support pet stores being added without coming across as supporting animal cruelty in this community.

Plus, it is seriously doubtful this will ever be added to Sims 3, simply because of how infrequently already-released EPs get new content added to them (which is pretty much never).

that really don't make sense.. how can buying a pet be made into something so silly? if they don't like it they don't have to play it. a shop added to your town is optional, there's a bin and they all go into it... pick and choose the ones you like... delete it if you don't like it but don't put your political statement into the game. I paid a lot of money for it, it shouldn't be their call. I'm offended they are offended by it.. doesn't that matter? it goes both ways. make us all happy and make it an option at least but a dog/cat born misshaped is far more cruel then me buying what I want.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bmashland wrote:
    bmashland wrote:

that really don't make sense.. how can buying a pet be made into something so silly? if they don't like it they don't have to play it. a shop added to your town is optional, there's a bin and they all go into it... pick and choose the ones you like... delete it if you don't like it but don't put your political statement into the game. I paid a lot of money for it, it shouldn't be their call. I'm offended they are offended by it.. doesn't that matter? it goes both ways. make us all happy and make it an option at least but a dog/cat born misshaped is far more cruel then me buying what I want.

The discussion about petshops at the time included the idea that sims could also sell pets to them... that's where the puppymill argument came in, and eventually that argument came to oppose petshops in general.

Plus, a lot of real-life petshops purchase their animals from puppy mills, so there was also that aspect.

In any case, it wasn't their call... it was the call of the devs, who ultimately sided with them. Once they had dev support, all chances of petshops ever being added died.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bmashland wrote:
    bmashland wrote:

The discussion about petshops at the time included the idea that sims could also sell pets to them... that's where the puppymill argument came in, and eventually that argument came to oppose petshops in general.

Plus, a lot of real-life petshops purchase their animals from puppy mills, so there was also that aspect.

In any case, it wasn't their call... it was the call of the devs, who ultimately sided with them. Once they had dev support, all chances of petshops ever being added died.

Ultimately most puppy mills are ran in private venues. like homes.

Do you know how many times that adopt'a'cat dude in my neighborhood announced his cats had kittens .. if that's not a puppy mill I don't know what is. LOL without the option... I feel limited on game play. that's not good. making pets was fun, part of what kept me playing in Sims 2. Just about all my Sims went to the pets store for something at sometime or another. If the object is to get me playing this game as long as they can.. a pet store would add to that. anyways.. lets end this so we stop invading on her petition... I was just saying I missed it and that there's nothing fun about getting stuck with a mutant. I like my cat's with tails. why are all the adoptables tail less .. lol
  • Options
    asdfthesimsasdfthesims Posts: 295 New Member
    edited April 2013
    You're close on my original point.

Ever hear of something called "emotional blackmail?" It's a pretty common tactic, and used by groups from PETA to the U.S. Government for all kinds of items; Obama is currently using it, to a degree, in his campaign for gun control. Individuals also often use it, since it can be effective... except against those of us who've had the kind of lives that make you immune to it.

Pretty much, emotional blackmail boils down to using a person's emotions against them to get them to do something... in this case, sympathies towards suffering animals in real life. I have nothing against helping deal with actual animal suffering (but even I have to admit it's going to be a gruesome task... a conservative estimate puts the total pet population as outnumbering the human population at a ratio of 10 to 1, and we simply don't have the food resources to feed all of them). But, it's not being used to alleviate suffering... it's being used to try to get people to support an addition of an option to remove strays from a game. Even worse, that option would actually stand strongly, entirely on its own merits, without the animal suffering argument even being added; there's not been a single person, including myself, who posted to this thread that stated an opposition to the option being added.

In fact, given the I and F forum regulars are for the most part dodging this thread (except those of us who came in to point out the animal suffering bit was a very, very bad idea), I would have to say using animal suffering in that way actually damaged this thread, since the OP is not gaining the normal amount of support a thread like this should have by now, especially for an idea this popular. So, basically, by using animal suffering in that way, the OP may have guaranteed this idea will never come about, since emotional blackmail for illegitimate causes tends to tick people off.

Now, for some, the suffering is always going to be a good argument... I've found such people tend to be in the minority among humans, and usually end up driven out of communities if they continually use people's emotions against them for minor causes, like this one. Seen it happen both in real-life and online.

I see your point, though I suppose I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming that the person felt as strongly about it as he/she made it seem. I was mainly saying that a genuine heartache for this would be a valid reason to add a feature. You're saying that the OP wasn't being genuine and only trying to pull at others' heartstrings to gain supporters. There's really no way to prove whether he/she was being genuine; I could believe it either way.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2013

Ever hear of something called "emotional blackmail?" It's a pretty common tactic, and used by groups from PETA to the U.S. Government for all kinds of items; Obama is currently using it, to a degree, in his campaign for gun control. Individuals also often use it, since it can be effective... except against those of us who've had the kind of lives that make you immune to it.

Pretty much, emotional blackmail boils down to using a person's emotions against them to get them to do something... in this case, sympathies towards suffering animals in real life. I have nothing against helping deal with actual animal suffering (but even I have to admit it's going to be a gruesome task... a conservative estimate puts the total pet population as outnumbering the human population at a ratio of 10 to 1, and we simply don't have the food resources to feed all of them). But, it's not being used to alleviate suffering... it's being used to try to get people to support an addition of an option to remove strays from a game. Even worse, that option would actually stand strongly, entirely on its own merits, without the animal suffering argument even being added; there's not been a single person, including myself, who posted to this thread that stated an opposition to the option being added.

In fact, given the I and F forum regulars are for the most part dodging this thread (except those of us who came in to point out the animal suffering bit was a very, very bad idea), I would have to say using animal suffering in that way actually damaged this thread, since the OP is not gaining the normal amount of support a thread like this should have by now, especially for an idea this popular. So, basically, by using animal suffering in that way, the OP may have guaranteed this idea will never come about, since emotional blackmail for illegitimate causes tends to tick people off.

Now, for some, the suffering is always going to be a good argument... I've found such people tend to be in the minority among humans, and usually end up driven out of communities if they continually use people's emotions against them for minor causes, like this one. Seen it happen both in real-life and online.

I see your point, though I suppose I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming that the person felt as strongly about it as he/she made it seem. I was mainly saying that a genuine heartache for this would be a valid reason to add a feature. You're saying that the OP wasn't being genuine and only trying to pull at others' heartstrings to gain supporters. There's really no way to prove whether he/she was being genuine; I could believe it either way.

I pretty much took it the same as Tanya did. It was false sympathy to garner support for a cause that wasn't worth the false sympathy. Real animals freeze to death and starve to death, especially strays. Sim ones don't (or at least mine don't). I'd normally have given the benefit of the doubt too, but I just came to the sad conclusion that the OP or the person who was posted on behalf of was a big gifter, not that I have anything against big gifters. I just dislike emotional blackmail.

(only came to that conclusion because of all the gushing about how wonderful the OP was to be posting this for their friend, and it's a personal opinion only and possibly not true)
  • Options
    MysteryJokerMysteryJoker Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited April 2013
    Arletta wrote:

I pretty much took it the same as Tanya did. It was false sympathy to garner support for a cause that wasn't worth the false sympathy. Real animals freeze to death and starve to death, especially strays. Sim ones don't (or at least mine don't). I'd normally have given the benefit of the doubt too, but I just came to the sad conclusion that the OP or the person who was posted on behalf of was a big gifter, not that I have anything against big gifters. I just dislike emotional blackmail.

(only came to that conclusion because of all the gushing about how wonderful the OP was to be posting this for their friend, and it's a personal opinion only and possibly not true)

This is the same stance I took. And since there is no ill consequence for strays in this game, it doesn't bother me. The fact that I see them constantly with extremely low bars just makes their AI as fickle as Sims.
  • Options
    ThelessyThelessy Posts: 1,764 Member
    edited April 2013
    I want my towns to have no strays too!

Also I want to be able to toggle puppy/kitten/foal adoption off too (not the intentional kind, the neighbourhood pet adoption that pops up randomly on un-played households)
  • Options
    srtaRamirezsrtaRamirez Posts: 33 New Member
    edited April 2013
    As an animal lover I wholeheartedly support your petition. I offer this solution so you can share it with others. Hit 'shift+ctrl c', type 'cheatsenabled true', right click on the animal, select 'edit sim in creat a sim', give the animal a 1st and last name, click ok. Go back to the game, hit shift+ctrl c, in the blue line type 'resetsim firstname lastname' hit enter. This should reset the animal somewhere else in your world. Not the best solution, but it will leave them free.
  • Options
    elsievdmelsievdm Posts: 588 Member
    edited April 2013

Bump
  • Options
    ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited April 2013
    Please add me to the list as well. I find the strays annoying. I've tried so many times to have various Sims interact with them, in hopes of maybe adopting some, only to have all the interactions in my queue cancelled because the stray "is going home." Say what? The stray shouldn't HAVE a home to go to...that's what makes it a stray! This has happened to me so many times that now I just get annoyed when I see them, especially when they're making a mess of my newspapers.