Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

a crusade to stop the strays, a kind request to the simgurus who create updates for our games

Comments

• Options
    VanessaVennerVanessaVenner Posts: 347 Member
    edited April 2013
    Thank you very kindly to both Oiswise and Mcrudd for joining.Your names have been added. And thank you to Dawnrob Oiswise Matashjma Mcrudd. Friends like you are very very dear.Hugs from me. You are all so sweet.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    dawnrob wrote:
    you and anyone are free to post on this topic , but to you really need to ripp into people like you have ... and as for reporting you ... I would not even think of it ....

Some free advice: Never ask if anyone is required to be nasty in nature if you're not prepared for one of the potential answers. Like I said, not all of the things I've done when I've needed money have been pleasant, and some of those have long-ranging requirements. Luckily, one set of requirements is almost fulfilled, and I think people will be happier with the result.

We are getting off-topic. I have said what I am required to say, and I have more pleasant business for my day.
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited April 2013
    Okay, before I sign, let me say something: Your reasons behind wanting this are completely illogical, and frankly too silly to be taken seriously.

Suffering in this game? Given the amount of depicted human suffering in this game and how it's treated as humor, campaigning to fix problems involving stray animals that EA intentionally made immune to the effects of weather and outright said as much verges almost on a sociopathic disregard for human life, and definitely shows a complete misunderstanding of how the game works.

At the same time, your attempt to pull at heartstrings to get people to sign comes across badly once one remembers the facts of how the game is programmed, even more so that you are sociopathically using sympathy for the suffering of real animals to try to get an option added to a game for animals that are not even exposed to the suffering you're campaigning against in the first place. And, worse, you've fooled several people into thinking your reasons are anything close to legitimate.

Now, I support the addition of a button to remove strays... but not for the reasons you use. I support it because they can be annoying, especially when they can get in the way of a sim you're trying to get in a house before they die due to temperature extremes. And because some people don't want them in-game at all. Not to remove some non-existent suffering from animals that aren't even real in the first place.

WOW....what do you say to that!!!....

VV--sign me up!!!

and grandmothergamer you do exsist!!!!

Untitled-173_zps1da15c59.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Jenie you are added. Thank you for joining our crusade for a tiny button in our game to have more control over strays in our game.
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited April 2013
    Oh no problem...i am here now...i will help take on any problem you have!!
  • Options
    TeamCullenTeamCullen Posts: 14 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Hi Vanessa, sign me up as well. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    TeamCullen Your name has been added and thank you kindly for joining our crusade as well. And Jenie thanks. Hugs for all.
  • Options
    oiswiseoiswise Posts: 482 Member
    edited April 2013
    dawnrob wrote:
    you and anyone are free to post on this topic , but to you really need to ripp into people like you have ... and as for reporting you ... I would not even think of it ....

Some free advice: Never ask if anyone is required to be nasty in nature if you're not prepared for one of the potential answers. Like I said, not all of the things I've done when I've needed money have been pleasant, and some of those have long-ranging requirements. Luckily, one set of requirements is almost fulfilled, and I think people will be happier with the result.

We are getting off-topic. I have said what I am required to say, and I have more pleasant business for my day.

:?: I have to ask 2 things:

1) Is your sims3 screen name and being (your word choice) "nasty in nature" one of the things you are required to do for money?

2) Even though you disagree with the REASONS that motivated the request for strays being an option... as you too would like the button do you want them to add your name to the list??

Just read your "about me" and figured it would be good for everyone else here to see it too.

My online name is TanyaRubirose, Tanya Rubirose, etc. And, yes, I'm male; just like how this avatar turned out.

And, despite how I often present myself on the forums, the truth can be a lot different. What you see on the forums is a mask, in part... those who know me outside the Sims 3 website know the truth is not necessarily what the mask shows. If you wish to know who I really am, catch me someplace where I do not keep my walls up.

Also, please do not think I have anything against you if I argue with you on the forums. And please do not let it upset you. The simple truth? I'm just a name on a screen. And I can be arguing against you one week and defending you the next. And, yes, I do apologize when I am wrong and admit I'm wrong.

• Options
    catitude4catitude4 Posts: 102 New Member
    edited April 2013
    dawnrob wrote:

What the heck is wrong with you? Why attack the OP just because she wants a choice? What you have said says a lot more about you than it does her.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    oiswise wrote:
    dawnrob wrote:

:?: I have to ask 2 things:

1) Is your sims3 screen name and being (your word choice) "nasty in nature" one of the things you are required to do for money?

2) Even though you disagree with the REASONS that motivated the request for strays being an option... as you too would like the button do you want them to add your name to the list??

Just read your "about me" and figured it would be good for everyone else here to see it too.

My online name is TanyaRubirose, Tanya Rubirose, etc. And, yes, I'm male; just like how this avatar turned out.

And, despite how I often present myself on the forums, the truth can be a lot different. What you see on the forums is a mask, in part... those who know me outside the Sims 3 website know the truth is not necessarily what the mask shows. If you wish to know who I really am, catch me someplace where I do not keep my walls up.

Also, please do not think I have anything against you if I argue with you on the forums. And please do not let it upset you. The simple truth? I'm just a name on a screen. And I can be arguing against you one week and defending you the next. And, yes, I do apologize when I am wrong and admit I'm wrong.

Well, crap. I was hoping people wouldn't focus on that.

1) Yes, to a degree; it's an already-completed contract, but there's some remnant obligations necessary to fulfill. I'm no longer in that particular business and definitely would not accept that contract again, but I still have to fulfill the occasional request for awhile. I can't get into details, but it will be wrapping up shortly. Note that certain parts of a nondisclosure agreement have expired, or otherwise I wouldn't be able to talk about this at all.

2) That is up to them.

In any case, we are really getting off-topic right now.
    catitude4 wrote:
    dawnrob wrote:

What the heck is wrong with you? Why attack the OP just because she wants a choice? What you have said says a lot more about you than it does her.

Actually, I didn't attack her because she wants a choice; I attacked her because of her reasoning for supporting the addition of that choice.

Now, can we please get back onto topic? I've already said I will not post further, except to replies to myself.
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited April 2013
    Greetings to my long time friends oiswise, grandmothergamer, and dawnrob, plus their friends as well as all have great taste in friends!

I sign the "petition" to have strays optional. In fact I am in support of any and all buttons under options making anything optional and customizing the game as much as possible to each individual player's style.

It is a totally and completely logical request, no matter what is one's motivation.

I for one, unlike some of my dear friends, opted out of celebrity for my household and for the neighborhood as soon as it appeared as an option. To great joy, for my personal taste.

It makes me sad that someone should be unkind to such a benign and totally unselfish request.

with love to my simmer friends, Sharonxyz
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2013
    sharonxyz wrote:
    Greetings to my long time friends oiswise, grandmothergamer, and dawnrob, plus their friends as well as all have great taste in friends!

I sign the "petition" to have strays optional. In fact I am in support of any and all buttons under options making anything optional and customizing the game as much as possible to each individual player's style.

It is a totally and completely logical request, no matter what is one's motivation.

I for one, unlike some of my dear friends, opted out of celebrity for my household and for the neighborhood as soon as it appeared as an option. To great joy, for my personal taste.

It makes me sad that someone should be unkind to such a benign and totally unselfish request.

with love to my simmer friends, Sharonxyz

Except it's not unselfish. In fact it's entirely the opposite. No matter what way you dress it up, the OP wants a button to remove it because in their game it's causing lag. They want their game to not lag. There's nothing unselfish there. Then we dress it up in "Please help guru's. They poor strays are starving", just to pile on sympathy.

Wanna go again for unselfish? It's definately not that.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited April 2013
    Some people prefer the truth than sugar coated words :-) .

I can't blame them though because too much sugar is not good for your health :wink: .
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hi Vanessa, I forgot to thank you for helping our mutual friend GG, and felt you were so polite and fair in your posts :)

Gosh, I really dislike confrontations, they make me so darn angry, and this site is such a happy place to be.

I must ask forgiveness for my choice of wording, as silly me, I spoke from the heart and let my brain not analyze every single word I chose. With such scrutiny I really must have reference sources at hand and use them, for word choice is so darn crucial.

Unselfish was a bit strong, in that I may have used as "selfless" which would be untrue, being that many, many simmers are having lag issues and if the poster is one of many, she is not selfish, which is an accusatory word in common useage, because she AND many of her peers, as in fellow gamers, would benefit, not only the initial poster. "Selfless" is a term I did not use, as it implies that it is not beneficial to her in any way.

Just think, a thread on game options in a category entitled: "ideas and feedbacks", has become a debate on semantics and proper word usage.

Here's feedback to EA: I would like this site to never close even upon release of a sims 5, if that is the plan. That is, for one reason, to keep my store purchased items and upon losing files through various unplanned methods, re-upload said files. So case in point, I do indeed have a SELFISH reason for wanting this; I also have many dozens of friends and fellow simmers who ALSO would enjoy a way to reclaim store purchases if needed.

So, in conclusion, I am very selfish as I wish for myself and every other simmer out there who has spent money at the store to have access to their purchases for a long time. It benefits myself AND many, many others.

Hopefully this clarifies my use of the word "unselfish" and I apologize to any and all who read this and find grammatical, spelling, or word usage error, as I have decided to not edit myself and therefore leave myself open to mistakes...of which I have made in my life, and sadly in this thread.

Not to mention run-on sentences, but again, deciding not to edit myself as it is not required.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    sharonxyz wrote:
    Hi Vanessa, I forgot to thank you for helping our mutual friend GG, and felt you were so polite and fair in your posts :)

Gosh, I really dislike confrontations, they make me so darn angry, and this site is such a happy place to be.

I must ask forgiveness for my choice of wording, as silly me, I spoke from the heart and let my brain not analyze every single word I chose. With such scrutiny I really must have reference sources at hand and use them, for word choice is so darn crucial.

Unselfish was a bit strong, in that I may have used as "selfless" which would be untrue, being that many, many simmers are having lag issues and if the poster is one of many, she is not selfish, which is an accusatory word in common useage, because she AND many of her peers, as in fellow gamers, would benefit, not only the initial poster. "Selfless" is a term I did not use, as it implies that it is not beneficial to her in any way.

Just think, a thread on game options in a category entitled: "ideas and feedbacks", has become a debate on semantics and proper word usage.

Here's feedback to EA: I would like this site to never close even upon release of a sims 5, if that is the plan. That is, for one reason, to keep my store purchased items and upon losing files through various unplanned methods, re-upload said files. So case in point, I do indeed have a SELFISH reason for wanting this; I also have many dozens of friends and fellow simmers who ALSO would enjoy a way to reclaim store purchases if needed.

So, in conclusion, I am very selfish as I wish for myself and every other simmer out there who has spent money at the store to have access to their purchases for a long time. It benefits myself AND many, many others.

Hopefully this clarifies my use of the word "unselfish" and I apologize to any and all who read this and find grammatical, spelling, or word usage error, as I have decided to not edit myself and therefore leave myself open to mistakes...of which I have made in my life, and sadly in this thread.

Not to mention run-on sentences, but again, deciding not to edit myself as it is not required.

Yes, this site is so completely sunshine and lollipops, you know. You don't get either attacked or random rudeness because somebody may disagree with your opinion, dislike something you've asked for or said or asked for a gift in a section mentioning the word gift.

I didn't and don't have a problem with your word useage. I get why the OP is asking. It is, as you said, logical. If it's causing lag issues then of course it should be altered, but lots of things can cause lag in TS3.

Unless there's a great many stray animals getting caught all at once, I don't see how it could cause that big of an issue. There again, I didn't program the game. It could also have something to do with an underpowered computer, a great gathering of sims and/or their cars and probably a million other things besides. Has everyone explored all of these things?

My only problem with the OP is the way she asked, not in rudeness but in her using of real defenseless animal to further her cause for virtual ones. It's a game. No animals are being harmed.

I have no real problem with you except that you are making the OP sound like she's a hero for asking for a stray animal filiter.

I'm done.
  • Options
    dawnrobdawnrob Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited April 2013
    It is unselfish in the fact that the OP is doing it for a friend , and the simmers that have signed do so becouse we agree.... there is a button for supernaturals so why not strays

a definition of unselfishness : unselfishness - the quality of not putting yourself first but being willing to give your time or money or effort etc. for others
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    dawnrob wrote:
    It is unselfish in the fact that the OP is doing it for a friend , and the simmers that have signed do so becouse we agree.... there is a button for supernaturals so why not strays

a definition of unselfishness : unselfishness - the quality of not putting yourself first but being willing to give your time or money or effort etc. for others

I had gathered that, but thank you. I'm not unaware of the definition of the word unselfish. I'm neither stupid nor ignorant, more so where words are concerned.

I would have had more respect for the OP and her request had she worded it simply.

'I'm requesting that the gurus give us way of turning stray animals off. We believe this is causing lag within our games, and as customers we would prefer if this was fixed. I request this not on behalf of myself, but on behalf of <name> as she is no longer able to use the forums. Please sign if you agree'

Short, sweet and to the point. No need for false sympathy on behalf of pixellated animals. No argument from me or anybody else.
  • Options
    oiswiseoiswise Posts: 482 Member
    edited April 2013
    :-) okay,.. regardless of your reason(s)... Wanting or not wanting to be able to have the ABILITY to turn strays off strays is really (I believe) the point at hand.

A big selling point of sims3 is how much you can customize your game. Having strays be an option, to me, sounds like another way to personalize the game. If you agree that strays being optional would either enhance or cause no issues with your game, please tell the host to add your name to the list.

I don't have the EP pets. ONE of the big reasons is I don't want strays in my game. Yup guilty of being a softie in my game. I also give my sims "inappropriate in a good way" so they can tend to toddlers or any sim in dire need.... but that is neither here nor there.

Some people allow or enable sims to die and enjoy ghosts in game. A million plus ways to enjoy your game the way you want to.

Maybe some see strays as one more thing that can cause lag. Some hate to see the strays tearing up newspaper etc. Some don't want to see homeless animals in their game. The possible reasons list could go on but I think everyone can understand what I am saying.

Other things in game are a choice ie weather on or off, no super naturals etc. I see no downside to supporting that stray become an OPTITION not a given.

If you want the chance to stumble across and adopt a stray then great. Checking the option or it being default seems like it would not change your game play. Maybe I am missing something?

If you feel that strays should remain as is, okay don't ask to add your name to their list. Saying you want things to stay as they are is of course up to you as well.

But really people aren't we all on this site because no matter what style(s) we decide to play... WE ARE ALL SIMMERS.

Wishing EVERYONE Happy Simming, oiswise
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't mind having the option to disable strays. There are some times I want to play a world with no pets, but don't want to have to uninstall pets since I do want them in other saved games.

I just hope it works better than the one we have to turn off horses. In my game, I still see horses running around everywhere, so not sure what that button was supposed to do. (Oops, kinda got a little off-topic there.)
  • Options
    asdfthesimsasdfthesims Posts: 295 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Now, can we please get back onto topic? I've already said I will not post further, except to replies to myself.

In the past, I have read your replies to other topics and for the most part agree with what you say.
    However, I have to disagree with you here. I think that not wanting an element in game simply because it would be a pitiful sight to see in real life is a completely valid reason. I think your original point was that it is not a valid reason. Why would this not be a valid reason? Sure it's illogical if you think logically, but for those illogical people, seeing a pixelated stray animal actually affects their enjoyment of the game. Therefore, that is reason enough to supply the request.
    I do think that the wording was a bit cheesy and diminished from the point, though I must take into consideration the possibility of the poster being legitimately sympathetic and heart-broken over this issue.
    Even though I thoroughly read every post, I'm not sure if i'm entirely clear on everyone's points/opinions. So correct me if I'm wrong- I think you're arguing that "sadness" is not a valid reason to change something in the game.
    I'm quite positive you'll have a valid argument against this, and I'd actually be really interested to read it.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited April 2013
    SimMommy05 wrote:
    I wouldn't mind having the option to disable strays. There are some times I want to play a world with no pets, but don't want to have to uninstall pets since I do want them in other saved games.

I just hope it works better than the one we have to turn off horses. In my game, I still see horses running around everywhere, so not sure what that button was supposed to do. (Oops, kinda got a little off-topic there.)

/Signed

I wouldn't mind have a button that actually disabled them myself, I'm tired of them keep dying on my Sims lawn (The anti-stray gnomes only prevent the strays from remaining on the lot, they don't prevent them from dying).
    raw
  • Options
    elsievdmelsievdm Posts: 588 Member
    edited April 2013

Signed :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013

In the past, I have read your replies to other topics and for the most part agree with what you say.
    However, I have to disagree with you here. I think that not wanting an element in game simply because it would be a pitiful sight to see in real life is a completely valid reason. I think your original point was that it is not a valid reason. Why would this not be a valid reason? Sure it's illogical if you think logically, but for those illogical people, seeing a pixelated stray animal actually affects their enjoyment of the game. Therefore, that is reason enough to supply the request.
    I do think that the wording was a bit cheesy and diminished from the point, though I must take into consideration the possibility of the poster being legitimately sympathetic and heart-broken over this issue.
    Even though I thoroughly read every post, I'm not sure if i'm entirely clear on everyone's points/opinions. So correct me if I'm wrong- I think you're arguing that "sadness" is not a valid reason to change something in the game.
    I'm quite positive you'll have a valid argument against this, and I'd actually be really interested to read it.

You're close on my original point.

Ever hear of something called "emotional blackmail?" It's a pretty common tactic, and used by groups from PETA to the U.S. Government for all kinds of items; Obama is currently using it, to a degree, in his campaign for gun control. Individuals also often use it, since it can be effective... except against those of us who've had the kind of lives that make you immune to it.

Pretty much, emotional blackmail boils down to using a person's emotions against them to get them to do something... in this case, sympathies towards suffering animals in real life. I have nothing against helping deal with actual animal suffering (but even I have to admit it's going to be a gruesome task... a conservative estimate puts the total pet population as outnumbering the human population at a ratio of 10 to 1, and we simply don't have the food resources to feed all of them). But, it's not being used to alleviate suffering... it's being used to try to get people to support an addition of an option to remove strays from a game. Even worse, that option would actually stand strongly, entirely on its own merits, without the animal suffering argument even being added; there's not been a single person, including myself, who posted to this thread that stated an opposition to the option being added.

In fact, given the I and F forum regulars are for the most part dodging this thread (except those of us who came in to point out the animal suffering bit was a very, very bad idea), I would have to say using animal suffering in that way actually damaged this thread, since the OP is not gaining the normal amount of support a thread like this should have by now, especially for an idea this popular. So, basically, by using animal suffering in that way, the OP may have guaranteed this idea will never come about, since emotional blackmail for illegitimate causes tends to tick people off.

Now, for some, the suffering is always going to be a good argument... I've found such people tend to be in the minority among humans, and usually end up driven out of communities if they continually use people's emotions against them for minor causes, like this one. Seen it happen both in real-life and online.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    A kind Thank you to Sharonxyz, SimMommy05, Evil_One and Elsievdm. Your names have been added to the list we have. Sharonxyz you have loads of strength. Hugs.
    And here I was thinking it would just disappear into ***** space on day one like so many other posts.
  • Options
    Queenie08Queenie08 Posts: 7,588 Member
    edited April 2013
    Haven't come here for any debates, just wanted to say that I would like the option to turn off the strays. I adore animals and my sims usually have pets. But I can't adopt them all :lol: So putting everything else aside, I would like that option.