Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building a Modern House--Teacher: WibbleLikeAJelly--Complete Course in Post 1

Comments

• Options
    CraigyBoy2CraigyBoy2 Posts: 992 Member
    edited June 2012
    I would love you to say your opinions, and other classmates aswell! I really don't know how I have done so far, but please tell me as I can re do some parts! :D Also, I need serious opinions on my homework landscaping, as I don't really like it.

tumblr_m63d7snaFN1rznla9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m63d8v3F3e1rznla9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m63db7ZvEv1rznla9o1_1280.jpg
    cropped-bane-of-my-existence-generation-1-header.png
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited June 2012
    You may still place your questions on Lesson 1 here and you may place your homework pictures here, but also anyone who wishes to sign up for the second course may do so now by posting the words:

Register Me!
    oow785m
  • Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2012
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:
    I would love you to say your opinions, and other classmates aswell! I really don't know how I have done so far, but please tell me as I can re do some parts! :D Also, I need serious opinions on my homework landscaping, as I don't really like it.

tumblr_m63d7snaFN1rznla9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m63d8v3F3e1rznla9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m63db7ZvEv1rznla9o1_1280.jpg

Hey Craig, thanks for being so efficient!

I have spotted a few things about your homework which I'll go through with you.

First of all, I'd like to say that you absolutely nailed the shape of the building, so give yourself a virtual pat on the back for that!

But, as always you can improve (nothing ever made by anyone is ever perfect, no matter how many people say so!). I spotted that in the first picture the railing on your roof is facing inwards - ideally the curved areas should be curving our from the building. Imagine if your were hosting a party there and kept tripping over the railing, it wouldn't be ideal! LOL :)

I do agree that you could also change your landscaping slightly. This is a modern build, and while appropriate in some areas, dense landscaping doesn't really look appropriate. Try googling 'Modern Landscape Design' and see what comes up - this is one useful website I found: http://www.home-designing.com/2010/11/beautiful-roof-gardens-and-landscape-designs
    See how they keep the majority of the space open and then conceal the area with potted plants and borders? This is because in reality, your family would want to use this space for relaxing outdoors and wouldn't have much luck of they were surrounded by some rather verdant bushes! You are more than welcome to use the plants from Buy Mode if you want, and try experimenting with MoveObjects On to see what you can make.

Thank you for taking part in the lesson!

--Wibble :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Right then, I'm off for the night. See you tomorrow everyone!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Hows this?

tumblr_m63eloHC9c1rznla9o1_1280.jpg

DaDa! :D
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2012
    Yay! Thanks so much for the help, Wib! All done with the build, will now take my time with homework. The wall worked out for me. Appreciate you sticking it out with me. :oops:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh, and Zoo? Just wanted to let you know, I make great Barns now, because of your course! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have tried to improve my landscaping modern style. Here is my new outcome...

tumblr_m63feqDofx1rznla9o1_1280.jpg

Still not entirely happy with it but I'll see if you guys like it! Opinions?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Craigy, I'm liking that one much better! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Thank you! It was really simple but I think it might just let off a modern feel! What do you think?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    More modern than all the bushes flowers had. When Wib says landscape front of house in homework, anyone have any idea how far? Use our judgement?
  • Options
    LaughingJacksLaughingJacks Posts: 160 New Member
    edited June 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    When Wib says landscape front of house in homework, anyone have any idea how far? Use our judgement?

I was going to ask that. I understood the back patio but not how much of the front.

Zoo: Register Me for part 2, please!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Alright, I will look for tons of constructive criticism... remember, I am beginner. Not very good with pictures, either. Only three? ok.

Front shot, to include the build and the small amount of landscape. Unsure as to how much to landscape. I left the area in front of the building untouched.

Screenshot-4-2.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Next is the side view with the back patio landscaping. Also a roof view there.

Screenshot-5-2.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Last image is another shot of the back patio landscaping area.

Screenshot-6-2.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Any thoughts are welcomed!!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Good morning, all!

Craig: I definitely think that the new version is improved! Well done :) As a finishing touch though, I would turn MoveObjects On, and hold the [Alt] key down to turn off the grid and move the planters slightly more into the hedge so they look more like a border, and not as much space is lost.

Prisca: That is just the right amount of landscaping. All I meant by 'around the driveway' was just one or two squares of landscaping around the edge of the granite to softenit slightly. You've produced a very nice interpretation of the landscaping - it reminds me of an artist's house! Personally, I would move the items placed on the main (larger) patio up to the fence, so that later we can have some future there, but you can use your judgment. I would definitely move the tall palm on the side of the house though, as from the pictures is appears to be cutting through the wall, which is rule number one of not what to do when placing plants. If you levelled out just one square behind the tree and placed it there, you wouldn't be cheating too much! :)

It was actually rather fun helping you as well, and now when you're using CFE you will know a new technique! ;)

Jacks: Welcome back to course two! I'll see you in a fortnight :)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Good Morning! Thanks for the help and I will do what you suggested! I'm really excited for the next lesson and am wondering when it will be? Next Saturday? :D

Btw, I am going to add that in later! As I am slightly busy right now.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:
    Good Morning! Thanks for the help and I will do what you suggested! I'm really excited for the next lesson and am wondering when it will be? Next Saturday? :D

Btw, I am going to add that in later! As I am slightly busy right now.

The next course will be in two weeks. Keep practising between now and then!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    If you want to see my own personal efforts at recreating a house form an image, check out my WIP!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Tried posting earlier, and site went down for me. Wibble, thank you so, so much... I am having a blast! I will post some new pics here, but you can decide which pics you will judge... it is only fair, since I have been given some guidance since the first ones. :wink:

This is the front now. I used several different Palms, which gives it more of an ecclectic feel than a modern feel, I suppose. I like it though, so... I think the only change I am leaning towards is moving the really tall ones at the front to the rear.

Screenshot-6.jpg"width=600""height=45"

The side landscaping. I changed the type of Palm, insteading of bumping out a square, although that was an excellent idea. Now the Palm is above the roof, and you will enjoy it from the rooftop patio.

Screenshot-2.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Back patio area... scaled down the tree, and moved around the deco's.

Screenshot-3.jpg"width=600""height=450"

I hope I learned something. I know I'm really enjoying myself! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It looks lovely, Prisca! Give yourself a pat on the back :D

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Thanks! I just looked at your WIP, and it is amazing! My mom collected lots of trinkets and stuff, and I think it made me just the opposite... I tend to be a minimalist. I tend to not use enough. I just love your decor, it is perfect!
  • Options
    LaughingJacksLaughingJacks Posts: 160 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Yay, no procrastination for me! That never happens.

1c2UY.jpg?1

57Pln.jpg?1

ON4De.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    Oh, and Zoo? Just wanted to let you know, I make great Barns now, because of your course! :mrgreen:

Aww! Thanks for telling me that, I really like knowing that people benefited from my class!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    When Wib says landscape front of house in homework, anyone have any idea how far? Use our judgement?

I was going to ask that. I understood the back patio but not how much of the front.

Zoo: Register Me for part 2, please!

Done!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I didn't realize I had to register for each part... you don't really think I'm stopping here, do you? :shock:

Register Me, Please? With sugar on top? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    I didn't realize I had to register for each part... you don't really think I'm stopping here, do you? :shock:

Register Me, Please? With sugar on top? :D

Will do!
    oow785m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top