Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building a Modern House--Teacher: WibbleLikeAJelly--Complete Course in Post 1

Comments

• Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2012
    11. We are now going to look at the final element of the architecture – the rear section. We can use this reference image to help us:

Facades.png

Level the terrain from the back of the house out another square, as shown:

Screenshot-249.jpg

It should look like this:

Screenshot-250a.jpg

Paint the terrain, so it looks cohesive to the rest of the build:

Screenshot-251.jpg

Build a wall 3 across, so it covers the entire terrain, and 8 squares “in”, as shown below:

Screenshot-252.jpg

Screenshot-253.jpg

Now build the remaining 3-square wall to complete the room, but inset it 1 square.

Screenshot-254.jpg

12. This step requires CFE again, as we will be extending the second lowered storey. Turn CFE on in the way described previously, and then SAVE.

Copy the shape of the room below, but don’t be alarmed by the rest of the house changing its height.

Screenshot-255.jpg

Screenshot-257.jpg

Screenshot-258.jpg

Using the Level Terrain tool, drag from the floor of the third storey (above the lowered storey) over the new section of wall.

Screenshot-259.jpg

Screenshot-260.jpg

The walls will now be lowered.

Notice the floating triangles above the corners of the lowered wall? This is a quirk of CFE, and occurs every time you alter the height of any wall with adjacent perpendicular sides.

To remove them, simply delete the 3-square wall across, and press [Ctrl] [Z] to undo the deletion.

It will look like this:

Screenshot-263.jpg

TURN OFF CFE BEFORE CONTINUING; this will prevent any more “slips” in the build.

Now simply draw the next storey, and you should end up with:

Screenshot-264.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2012
    13. We now have an empty section on the roof terrace. This is not what is shown in the house – or even conventional in many houses! (There are exceptions, but they are not relevant for the moment).

Fill in the rest of the house as shown:

Screenshot-266.jpg

Screenshot-267.jpg

Screenshot-268.jpg

That looks much more like the real thing:

Screenshot-270.jpg

Roof-Terrace.png

14. Congratulations! You have completed the first lesson of Building a Modern House from an Image! Keep reading though, as I will be issuing homework (You don’t realise how fun that was to say being in Year 8 at school ^_______^) but first, admire what you [should] have built:

Screenshot-269.jpg

Screenshot-271.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2012
    HOMEWORK:

1) Complete the landscaping around the front of the house and the patio landscaping on the rear, but nothing else!

2) Upload a maximum of 3 pictures showing your progress.

Here’s the twist:

3) Showcase your work so far with the 3 pictures in this thread.

4) I will invite your “classmates” to judge your work so far out of 5 for how successful you think they’ve been. I will be awarding a mark as how well I think they’ve been, so don’t worry if you’re not sure.

5) Judging will finish on Friday, before my next lesson, where the winning entry will be showcased at the start of this thread for the following week.

Good Luck, and Well Done for getting this far!

I’ll be lurking for a few hours in case you have any questions.

--Wibble :)
  • Options
    Fern12w3Fern12w3 Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2012
    2. First of all, level out the terrain, starting 2 squares from the right and 14 from the front of the lot. Then starting 8 squares from the right, level the terrain in a rectangle 14 squares across and 2 squares from the back of the lot.

3. Using the ‘Granite’ terrain paint, paint as shown in the picture below. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t perfect, as we can change it as we go on later in the build.
    ScreenShot2012-05-21at195519.png

#2 and 3 rather confused me!
    for 2, couldn't we just level it -all-? like, from the front right/left corner?
    and for 3, couldn't we just granite it -all- ?

:3
  • Options
    originalsimoriginalsim Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited June 2012
    Hi Wibble! I noticed that in step 6 you have written to turn off the cheat you type "Constrainfloorelevation false". Shouldn't it be "contrainfloorelevation true"?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    2. First of all, level out the terrain, starting 2 squares from the right and 14 from the front of the lot. Then starting 8 squares from the right, level the terrain in a rectangle 14 squares across and 2 squares from the back of the lot.

3. Using the ‘Granite’ terrain paint, paint as shown in the picture below. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t perfect, as we can change it as we go on later in the build.

OK:

For step number two, you cannot level out the entire lot as the purpose of this build is that it is built upon a platform. The initial levelling is to provide a stable base for the front of the lot. To do this, place the levelling tool right on the front row of squares of the lot, two squares from the right boundary, and drag this in a rectangle roughly in the area where the granite is - making sure you don't go over the current edge of the lot.

You should then move in 8 squares from the right edge of the lot, and drag out a rectangle 14 squares wide that reaches 2 squares from the back of the lot - which is just enough room for the house.

If you had a picture it would be easier to explain.

For step 3, you should only place granite over this area 1) for aesthetics, and 2) because we have plans for the rest of the area later in the course ;)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Hi Wibble! I noticed that in step 6 you have written to turn off the cheat you type "Constrainfloorelevation false". Shouldn't it be "contrainfloorelevation true"?

Thank you for that Clare, I'll edit it!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:

OK:

For step number two, you cannot level out the entire lot as the purpose of this build is that it is built upon a platform. The initial levelling is to provide a stable base for the front of the lot. To do this, place the levelling tool right on the front row of squares of the lot, two squares from the right boundary, and drag this in a rectangle roughly in the area where the granite is - making sure you don't go over the current edge of the lot.

You should then move in 8 squares from the right edge of the lot, and drag out a rectangle 14 squares wide that reaches 2 squares from the back of the lot - which is just enough room for the house.

For step 3, you should only place granite over this area 1) for aesthetics, and 2) because we have plans for the rest of the area later in the course ;)

thank you; however i'm still not .. entirely sure.

so this is what it should look like when i first open the lot;
    Screenshot-1.jpg .. yes?

so do i just level this out?

2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    Fern12w3 wrote:

[/IMG]http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p569/WLAJOfficial/Zoo U Lesson 1/ScreenShot2012-05-21at195519.png[/IMG]

OK:

Screenshot-1.jpg .. yes?

[/img]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/Quaile/Screenshots/2.png[/img]

Yes, that should work. :)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    Fern12w3 wrote:

[/IMG]http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p569/WLAJOfficial/Zoo U Lesson 1/ScreenShot2012-05-21at195519.png[/IMG]

OK:

Screenshot-1.jpg .. yes?

thank you!(:
    then is it just this?
    3.png
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited June 2012
    Wibble,

I have not read everything, but this looks just great. I have some real life issues (suddenly today I can't stop coughing) and I am going to have to leave it in your capable hands.

I generally stay around for a two hours answering questions and generally helping out, but my head is spinning, I have to lay down for awhile.

I will come back to you and to your class later. SORRY!!!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    Fern12w3 wrote:

OK:

[/img]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/Quaile/Screenshots/Screenshot-1.jpg[/img] .. yes?

thank you!(:
    then is it just this?
    3.png

Not quite - you should start 8 squares in, and from the edge of the raised area level 14 squares across until you reach two rows from the back.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Wibble,

I have not read everything, but this looks just great. I have some real life issues (suddenly today I can't stop coughing) and I am going to have to leave it in your capable hands.

I generally stay around for a two hours answering questions and generally helping out, but my head is spinning, I have to lay down for awhile.

I will come back to you and to your class later. SORRY!!!

Zoo

You're perfectly welcome to have your own life, Zoo; you do enough for the team as it is already!

As a side note, I will be away for a while tonight as there's an event on in my village we are attending. I will be around later tonight if you have any remaining questions, but please don't think I'm abandoning you! Make sure you keep posting questions for me to answer though!

Sorry! :D

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2012
    Jeez, I hope I'm not gonna be the slow child of the class. Firstly, I can't get complete floor tiles on my lowered floor, only the perimeter. When I delete the foundation block, it causes the closest floor tile to fly away. I hit undo, not sure if I should just try again. I may go back and do so, though.
  • Options
    CraigyBoy2CraigyBoy2 Posts: 992 Member
    edited June 2012
    Right, I really need some desprate help! I am completely lost on the first few steps, as I don't know which bits to level. Will you help? I think I just need a picture to help me. Please help!
    cropped-bane-of-my-existence-generation-1-header.png
  • Options
    MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    edited June 2012
    Hey there Wibble I just wanted to pop in and say great job, I can't wait to see the finished results! :)

Meg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Is this meant to be it? I am not sure how big and what size, etc~?

tumblr_m6339vk7Tj1rznla9o1_1280.jpg
  • Options
    EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited June 2012
    Well Hello there Professor Wibbs! Looks like a fun home to build! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    my internet keeps dying!
    sorry, but i will not be able to continue the house.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Here is my dilemma:

Screenshot-1.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Hi EmpressPamela!!! I'm trying!

I cannot fill in the middle of the flooring. Shall I continue on without it?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have learnt how to do it and am on step 9! The railing! :D What fencing from showtime is it? The exact name?

EDIT: Found it! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I razed my lot and started all over.. no problems now. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    xenacullenxenacullen Posts: 3,474 Member
    edited June 2012
    Register me plzz,
    it doesnt cost anything
    or we have the course online.
    Doest hurt to ask cause thats
    the way I was raised...
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Just jump in, Xena, and start building.

Now I can't get the very back wall to lower in CFE. Can get all but the back part. I am getting frustrated, break time!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh no! I did one bit wrong and have to do the whole thing again! :( I am feeling dead! And now it won't let me fill in the flooring..... CRY!

EDIT: My situation is fixed! I'm on my way! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top