Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building a Modern House--Teacher: WibbleLikeAJelly--Complete Course in Post 1

Comments

• Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited June 2012
    Register Me! Almost missed this.

Welcome back, LaughingJacks! I'll put you on the roster right now!
    oow785m
  • Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2012
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please make sure you are able to attend the lesson at 18:00 BST, NOT 19:00 as stated. That was an error on my part when I was talking to Zoo about setting up the lesson.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
    --Wibble :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Fern12w3Fern12w3 Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2012
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please make sure you are able to attend the lesson at 18:00 GMT, NOT 19:00 as stated. That was an error on my part when I was talking to Zoo about setting up the lesson.

oh yes, i am ^-^ very excited!
    :p
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please make sure you are able to attend the lesson at 18:00 BST, NOT 19:00 as stated. That was an error on my part when I was talking to Zoo about setting up the lesson.

oh yes, i am ^-^ very excited!
    :p

That's great, thank you!

• Options
    CraigyBoy2CraigyBoy2 Posts: 992 Member
    edited June 2012
    I hope I'm not to late. Register me please! :D I'm SUPER excited to take part in this course as I'm terrible at building, espicially modern styles. Also, what is Svlyn's course? Can I have a link? Sorry if I sound stupid!
    cropped-bane-of-my-existence-generation-1-header.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:
    I hope I'm not to late. Register me please! :D I'm SUPER excited to take part in this course as I'm terrible at building, espicially modern styles. Also, what is Svlyn's course? Can I have a link? Sorry if I sound stupid!

Hello Craig!

No, you're just in time to register. The course will be starting at 18:00 GMT tonight.

You can find Svlyn's course here.

Don't worry, by the way, my first rule for this course is that nothing is stupid - I know many people here are beginners so just be confident in asking questions, as many people should have the same thoughts as you!

--Wibble :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:

Hello Craig!

No, you're just in time to register. The course will be starting at 18:00 GMT tonight.

Don't worry, by the way, my first rule for this course is that nothing is stupid - I know many people here are beginners so just be confident in asking questions, as many people should have the same thoughts as you!

Hi! I found the course just after I posted that, I found it but thanks anyway. I am really excited for tonight for the start of the course. Just to let you know I will take a long time to get the hang of it, and I might fail most of the time.

Also, I may slow down my replies, etc. because at 19:00 GMT I will be going to a friends house for dinner, but will still have Sims and internet connection so I will still be able to continue! I just might be slower and at about 20:00 I will be having dinner for a while... Is that alright?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:

Hello Craig!

Hi! I found the course just after I posted that, I found it but thanks anyway. I am really excited for tonight for the start of the course. Just to let you know I will take a long time to get the hang of it, and I might fail most of the time.

Also, I may slow down my replies, etc. because at 19:00 GMT I will be going to a friends house for dinner, but will still have Sims and internet connection so I will still be able to continue! I just might be slower and at about 20:00 I will be having dinner for a while... Is that alright?

That will be no problem. The course will remain online to follow permanently once it is posted, so even if you are out you can follow it at your own pace in your own time.

The course starts at 18:00 GMT by the way, not 19:00. I posted a notice about that on the previous page.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah! Thanks very much! By the way, the video about CFE on Sim Supply doesn't work. When I click on the link it won't work.... Is there any other way to access it? I have tried googling it but nothing came up.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:
    Yeah! Thanks very much! By the way, the video about CFE on Sim Supply doesn't work. When I click on the link it won't work.... Is there any other way to access it? I have tried googling it but nothing came up.

I have a feeling this might be what you're after.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    if i'm a little late tonight,
    which i may be by about 10 minutes,
    i will be on ;o
  • Options
    originalsimoriginalsim Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    please help. i'm on the CFE thing, and i can't level the
    foundation&walls. this happens.

[/img] http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/Quaile/Screenshots/Screenshot.jpg [img]and like, i can NOT level it. :/[/img]

Click up another level. You have to be able to see the grid on top of the walls as well. Then it should work.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fern12w3 wrote:
    please help. i'm on the CFE thing, and i can't level the
    foundation&walls. this happens.

[/img] http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/Quaile/Screenshots/Screenshot.jpg [img]and like, i can NOT level it. :/[/img]

Click up another level. You have to be able to see the grid on top of the walls as well. Then it should work.

i solved it, so i just changed my post;
    instead of putting a new one because i didn't
    think anyone had seen(:
    thank you though!
    i changed from 'ConstrainFloorElevation false'
    to 'constrainfloorelevation false' and it worked o.0
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please make sure you are able to attend the lesson at 18:00 GMT, NOT 19:00 as stated. That was an error on my part when I was talking to Zoo about setting up the lesson.

Wibs, I have 18:00 GMT on the first post. That's not a change. I have 19:00 BST, was that not correct?
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    CraigyBoy2 wrote:

I will add you to the class roster and Welcome to Zoo U!

By the way, the very first post in every Zoo U course has a link to the Zoo U Master Thread and it has links to ALL the Zoo U courses.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Don't forget - there's only just over an hour left until the course, are you prepared?

Check you have:

1) Registered for the course if you wish to participate,
    2) Read Svlyn's course on CFE if required,
    3) Checked your game will be running smoothly as possible,
    4) Prepared any questions that you may currently have - they're not only for the lessons, you know!

• Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2012
    Oh, darn, my connection is terrible today, but I'll give it all I've got! What I've got right now, is butterflies!!! :D :shock:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    Oh, darn, my connection is terrible today, but I'll give it all I've got! What I've got right now, is butterflies!!! :D :shock:

LOL! I hope you can view the course all right!

• Options
    pixsidust2pixsidust2 Posts: 330 Member
    edited June 2012
    Lol I'm glad my dog woke me up earlier than I normally wake up on Saturdays... I'd have slept right through the course. :shock:
    Origin ID: pixsidust
    Find me on FB: Pixsi Sims

tumblr_m6rsylPvKg1rziwwco1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    pixsidust2 wrote:
    Lol I'm glad my dog woke me up earlier than I normally wake up on Saturdays... I'd have slept right through the course. :shock:

LOL! I will be posting the lessons shortly, so be sure to stay right there ^____^

• Options
    pixsidust2pixsidust2 Posts: 330 Member
    edited June 2012
    pixsidust2 wrote:

LOL! I will be posting the lessons shortly, so be sure to stay right there ^____^

lol omg I just realized had that happened it would have been just like when I really was in school >.< Looking forward to it. Got my game up and running and my tester family and ready to go. :D
    Origin ID: pixsidust
    Find me on FB: Pixsi Sims

tumblr_m6rsylPvKg1rziwwco1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hello all! I’m so sorry I’m a little late starting with this, as real life has gone into overdrive for the past few weeks and I’ve not been able to get anything off the ground. I’m WibbleLikeAJelly, and if you are not aware of who I am, then you’re probably not alone! I am a member of the D.N.A. Request Team, along with Zoo, and it was there where I first “applied”, so to speak, for a slot in the curriculum. I have an interest in architecture as a whole, but modern architecture really appeals to me. I’m a fan of the clean lines and the variation in the style, as well as how easy it can be to build.

It is for this reason that I have decided to base my course around building a modern house, although I wanted to make something more worthwhile than just a house, as I’ve seen how many skills other users have picked up from this course, and I wanted to do my part to help. So, I decided that since building from an image or video is something I have to do quite often, I would try and impart some of my knowledge unto you on the way!

I will be posting these courses almost simultaneously, as they are pre-prepared and all that’s left to do is copy-and-paste, so you’ll have plenty of time to ask questions afterwards. I’ll probably be around for a few hours, although if I go away, don’t’ panic! I run on BST (GMT) so I’m probably currently up a lot later than most of you reading. Please remember to check back tomorrow, as that’ll probably be when most of your questions are answered if they aren’t today.

Today, we will be building this:

Front.png

It's probably a lot easier than you may think, so let me guide you through today's lesson:

The Exterior

• Options
    edited June 2012
    1. We are going to be starting our lot in Sunset Valley on 120 Wright Way. This lot is already occupied, so feel free to go right on a ahead and bulldoze that lot by clicking on it, and then clicking on the blue button with a picture of a bulldozer on it.

In case you can’t find the lot, here is a location picture of where it is:
    ScreenShot2012-05-21at202735.png

2. First of all, level out the terrain, starting 2 squares from the right and 14 from the front of the lot. Then starting 8 squares from the right, level the terrain in a rectangle 14 squares across and 2 squares from the back of the lot.

3. Using the ‘Granite’ terrain paint, paint as shown in the picture below. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t perfect, as we can change it as we go on later in the build.
    ScreenShot2012-05-21at195519.png

You will notice that the picture above is a few steps ahead. DON’T WORRY ABOUT THIS. That was my own fault as I forgot to take a picture for the above steps. (Either that or they somehow found their way out of my Screenshots folder…)

4. Take a look at the following image:
    Front-with-Size-Guides

You will see a number of guides in place for you to start “drawing” out the walls. You should end up with this:

See the three squares sticking out of the right of the property? They looked a bit small, so all I did was double the length to 6 squares across.

Complete the ground floor, tracing the raised terrain, and leaving 2 rows across at the back of the raised terrain.

You will see that there is a roof in place above the “building”, unless you have built many times before and have already prepared.

You can get rid of the roof, and prevent it from reappearing again by following the following steps:

a) Click “Remove All Roofs”.
    ScreenShot2012-05-21at195524.png

b) Click “Off” underneath the “Autoroof” heading.

5. Now trace around this to create the second storey.
    You will see that when tracing over the porch, you cannot place a roof all the way and you get the error: “Has No Support”. This is a common error and can be resolved in a few ways.

ScreenShot2012-05-21at195657.png

a) Using a column (any will do) create a support in the centre of the porch opening, and then fill in the top of the porch with floor tiles. Draw the wall as previously attempted, then delete the floor and the column.

b) I prefer this method. Simply fill in the gap at the front of the porch (remembering it was a 3 square gap) and draw the first-floor wall as previously attempted. Then delete the added wall section on the ground floor.

You should now have a complete second storey. In the next step, we are going to reduce the height of this storey to 1/4 its original height using some basic CFE. Before this though, make sure that you’ve saved!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    6. A few squares away from the building, place a 1x1 square of foundation, and on top of this build a 1x1 square of wall.

Screenshot-178.jpg

Screenshot-179.jpg

Now hold down [Ctrl] [Shift] and [C] simultanteously, then type in “constrainfloorelevation false”, but without the quotation marks. This turns on a cheat called Constrain Floor Elevation which allows you to alter the height of terrain anywhere on the lot; even underneath an object or a piece of wall. Use this cheat carefully though, as it can ruin your lot VERY EASILY.

Using the “Level Terrain” tool, drag from on top of the 1x1 “room” on the foundation, to the far diagonal corner of the main building, as shown below.

ScreenShot2012-05-21at203252.png

You should now have a building that looks like this.

Screenshot-181.jpg

Delete the wall as shown.

Screenshot-182.jpg

Screenshot-183.jpg

Now fill the floor of the lowered storey in so that we get a ceiling below, and place floor above this storey. The free floor will do as we will change this later.

Screenshot-184.jpg

Screenshot-187.jpg

You will notice that in those images the “guide” for forming our lowered storey is gone. Using the Sledgehammer tool [K] delete the wall piece by piece, and then delete the foundation.

NOW TURN OFF CFE BY PRESSING [Ctrl] [Shift] and [C] THEN ENTER “constrainfloorelevation true” but without the quote marks.

SAVE YOUR LOT BEFORE PROCEEDING.

7. We are now going to build the third floor.

Draw a box as shown:

Screenshot-188.jpg

Then add in this wall:

Screenshot-189.jpg

Even though it is not shown in the image, I then add another wall. Using the reference image, see if you can work out which one it is, and then place it.

Your structure should look like this:

Screenshot-231.jpg

8. We are now going to create the basis for our rooftop terrace.

Using the Half Wall tool, draw an outline of the top of the house using the Flat Top Half Wall, as shown below:

ScreenShot2012-05-22at193809.png

Screenshot-232.jpg

Screenshot-233.jpg

Screenshot-234.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2012
    9. You will notice from this picture:

Roof-Terrace.png

That the roof terrace on one side is railing. We are going to place this fence shortly, and I will be using a fence from Showtime. Don’t worry if you do not have this EP – I will provide an alternative.

I will use a fence from Showtime for this step, but instead you can use the Gentle Fence from the Base Game if you wish.

To figure out where to place this fence, we must use trial-and-error.

See how when I place the fence on the front it doesn’t look right? Compare back to the top of this thread if you can’t remember what the house looks like.

Screenshot-235.jpg

Trying the next side, it doesn’t look right either:

Screenshot-237.jpg

When I go to the back, however, I find it looks just right, as Goldilocks may say (!)

Screenshot-238.jpg

This is what the building now looks like:

Screenshot-239.jpg

10. You will notice from the image of the house that there is one difference to how it looks currently, and that is the presence of a small room at the top of the house.

In order to build this room, we must delete a section of the rear wall of the roof terrace, so using the wall tool, hold down [Ctrl] while dragging over the back wall. This will also delete a part of the fence.

Delete 5 squares across and 3 on the side of the roof terrace.

Screenshot-240.jpg

Now, using the normal wall tool (i.e. NOT the half-wall tool) build a 5x3 room in this space.

Screenshot-241.jpg

You will see that this doesn’t look very good now though, even though on the image we were originally studying had fence going all of the way across. We are going to use what I like to call “Simmer’s Licence” to change this slightly…

Delete all of the half wall and fence in the area pictured below:

Screenshot-244.jpg

Now, build one square of Flat Top Half Wall on either side of the space, and in between build the [fence name] to fill it. You will notice that dragging the fence one way leads to the curved part of the fence facing inward, and the other facing outward. We want the fence to face outward, so find which way achieves this and then rebuild any fence that needs to be corrected. Please not that if you are using the Gentle Fence then this does not apply.

You should now have this:

Screenshot-245.jpg

Screenshot-246.jpg

Make sure that you draw the fence over the entire 8 squares of the wall, as otherwise this will result in the poles of the fence remaining, which are inappropriate for this build. This may not matter if you are using the Gentle Fence though, so with that go with whatever look you please.

Add a roof to the 5x3 room and you’re done:

Screenshot-247.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top