Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIXING Exception Raised Error AND MAYBE OTHER PROBLEMS TOO (PHOTOS PROVIDED)

Comments

• Options
    Kevyankee1020Kevyankee1020 Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I didn't start having this problem until I started expanding my house. Every time I expand the house and then save, I get the exception raised error. It's very annoying. And I'm guessing there's no fixes for this?

EDIT: It only happens after I build too, I guess I'm just gonna have to move to a new house
  • Options
    AmyehAmyeh Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2013
    I basically started fresh, by changing the name of my Electronic Arts folder, and forcing the game to create a new one.

I played fine for about an hour, but after one save, it crashed again.

I've repaired disk permissions, cleared caches, was playing with no CC etc etc etc and it STILL doesn't work.

EA is going to have to realise that Mac users are going to make up more and more of their target audience. I used to play on a PC with a host of problems, so I installed the game on my MacBook Pro. Played fine for about 3 months (would crash occasionally, but nothing too serious), and once I installed the latest update, it began this endless cycle of crashing.

I have spent over $1000 on this game. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    AmyParke19AmyParke19 Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    I found that my game stopped the whole exception raised thing after i deleted all my unneeded cache files, this also improved the speed at which my game runs at. But be careful what exactly you delete because i accidentally deleted all my CC... Hope this is helpful :)
  • Options
    thechicknextdoorthechicknextdoor Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    My game quits at random places. I have all expansion packs and 4 stuff packs. My game is very laggy and used to quit frequently then stopped for a while, and has recently returned. I've tried everything, and unless EA fixes this it seems I cannot play. So I have wasted a lot of money ;(
  • Options
    SimNowSimNow Posts: 222 Member
    edited January 2013
    Phtby1109 wrote:
    I am also having issues with distorted images. Today, the games' toolbar bugged out and the build/buy/live modes were MIA. Also I attempt to save when these issues happen and get the error 12 message which is a pain.

Other issues include black boxes over the saving icon and black boxes over Sims portraits, build/buy items, etc.

Any one else have this same issue bc I can't seem to find it anywhere….

Also no CC installed, just store content. Attempted deleting the cache file and stuff but it didn't seem to make a difference. Only seeming to get 1-2 hours tops out of my game before any of this starts to happen

I think I get same thing, the only thing you can do is save, quit and restart regularly. :(
  • Options
    GabeRockzGabeRockz Posts: 5
    edited February 2013
    Ok... What we have down is that, its from cider, which hasn't been updated in YEARS so it can only use 2 mb of storage or whatever the abbreviation is, and I have all of the expansions except for showtime and one stuff pack. (For those of you who don't know what cider is, it's the thing that makes video games be able to run on a mac when they are also made for windows.) So this started appearing in my second expansion which was Generations or the Generations patch. At first I thought it was just an error rarely seen because it would appear after 2 hours or so with no trigger. But, when I got Pets, it happened like, after 1 hour. When I got Seasons and the rest except for Showtime, it's been happening with different times in different places. In CAS, I would go in and if I took more than 8 minutes, it would crash, if I went into it during gameplay, it would crash like after 10 minutes of being out. Plus if you don't save A LOT it will crash. But here comes Error Code 12 if you save too much in one session of gameplay. Plus cheats seem to hurry it up. I have re-installed all of my games. The first time it stayed on for 2 hours. But it had an error that wasn't exception raised and it crashed so I just pushed it aside and restarted it. But then, it comes back after 1 hour as exception raised. But the second time, I downloaded all my store content at once so I could have all my stuff. Guess what? It came back more recently like the way I described it. So it is definitely cider and memory problems. But I heard EA is trying to fix it as we speak. Ya right. :roll:
    I just know that I'm tired of this and I just want to play my games that I have spent over 200 dollars on and I want it to WORK! :evil:

UPDATE:
    I just got Showtime today and I uninstalled some store content. So that lessened the chance of it crashing in CAS. Plus it plays a little longer than it used to. So the problem is, store content boosting the memory which causes it to crash more frequently. So uninstall a mass piece of your store content if you have a lot. Or just disable store content. :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited February 2013
    I got this error message (Exception Raised) yesterday after building a duplex for my sims. I was in the Edit Town mode and next thing I know it pops up and i'm back to my desktop. What is this mess and why is it invading our games!? I kinda suspect it was the CC I had just downloaded but then again maybe not. I don't recall ever seeing the message before.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    aj_navarro2007aj_navarro2007 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited February 2013
    This might help you in this Exception Raised problem.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkxKalAD5XU <--- Link :)))

Hope this helps... I tested and no errors appear *YET*....
  • Options
    GabeRockzGabeRockz Posts: 5
    edited February 2013
    Ok, so I reinstalled my games and I only downloaded the store content I really needed which was probably 20-24 items and it ran for almost two hours today! :D I was in CAS most of the time, but now it has no cause, it went back to timing! so I suggest you get rid of a lot of store content and only have the same number as me and NO custom content. I downloaded a house I made when I used to use it before I reinstalled it, and my game crashed within 10 minutes of playing. :roll: So thats why I reinstalled it and deleted all sims 3 and download files before I installed it and it is doin' amazzzziiiinngg! :D
    We just have to wait for EA to fix the whole problem.
  • Options
    PirateJandcatsPirateJandcats Posts: 635 Member
    edited February 2013
    I couldn't even find my game in the library from the work around and I think on the youtube video, others were saying they were having problems too. Just wanna save my bloody game ;-; I also have only content I bought from the sims 3 store cause I had problems years ago with the other content, but nobody should have to stop using stuff they paid for to try and attempt a fix. It's utter ridiculous that it still hasn't been fixed and its one hurdle after the next, you temporarily kind-of-fix your game only to get a new obstacle.
  • Options
    nichellesaurnichellesaur Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    how do you clear the cache? i try to delete my custom content and when go to the "instakked content" tab in the game window it does the same exception raised crash that it does when i play. :( i am hoping there is an easy fix to this so i dnt have to uninstall and redownload custom content. please help mere :(
    -its a sad day without the sims </3

• Options
    MURFYKEEMURFYKEE Posts: 24 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Check the computer settings and enable incoming connections.

Ea guy told me Maxis needs the info to make a fix!!
  • Options
    RJB4PHDRJB4PHD Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    @MURFYKEE - how would I do that on my Mac (tech-challenged :lol: )
  • Options
    KryxtonKryxton Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Ok I have been a big fan of The sims since sims 2 came out and wasnt sure if the sims 3 was for me but then I tried it and fell in love with the game. It was awesome! I got into it when Supernatural was the new thing, so i bought the Supernaturals Plus and the Pets Expansion. I had witches and werewolves and Unicorns and I was loving every second of it. So then I see a deal for download only Sims 3 expansions, I say why not, I have virus software, My laptops good for it, so I buy 2 downloads (sims showtime and ambitions) was even better.

I was playing as often as I could, so one day when I tried to play the game I was really surprised when after it loaded it immediately crashed, gave me some BS error message, I defragg and try again and again.

MONTHS later I try uninstalling the discs I had (broke my heart, no way to get my downloads back) so now the sims game works. in default. the pets, though reloaded does not work, nor the Supernatural. PLEASE HELP ME! I am computer illiterate :{
  • Options
    KryxtonKryxton Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    also it keeps telling me I have a sims launcher update that I have downloaded like 8 times, it always takes like 2 hours(my laptop is not slow,I've had it checked) and then it tells me I need another update.

PLEASE HELP ME, I don't want to start hating my favorite game DDD:
  • Options
    TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2013
    cutie9676 wrote:
    Ok i'm back with new tips! Boy i still can't believe EA hasn't fixed this yet!! makes me so mad! I was just trying to create a sim in bridgeport which i rarely do because i use the builder island which i find helps me go through the CAS process without crashing or freezes.

I have had about five freezes/crashes in CAS in Bridgeport. Is it Bridgeport?

What's Builder Island? Sorry, I'm just getting back into the game after a long hiatus thanks to all the crashing...
    Simming for twenty years...
  • Options
    bella16rosebella16rose Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Hi everyone,
    After coming across this problem myself recently (I get the dreaded exception raised as soon as my household loads, rendering my game unplayable), I searched the internet. And what I found is four years of mac users complaining about this problem, and not getting a single adequate response from EA.

I did however find THIS: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/solve-the-exception-raised-problem.html

This is a petition recently created to beg EA to FIX THIS PROBLEM and pay attention to the huge number of mac users who are encountering issues like this on a regular basis.

I personally wish they would go back to porting the games to the Mac operating system rather than simply using cider to wrap it; it's completely unreliable and I'm sure we'd all rather wait a few extra months for a fully functional game than battle with a glitchy, infuriating game like the one we all seem to be dealing with at the moment.

I hope we can find a way of fixing this efficiently soon, but until then PLEASE take a look at the petition and sign it! And share it on any relevant threads, please - the more people we can get to sign it, the higher chance there is that EA will finally have to listen to us. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Edit: Only just seen that this link has already been posted on this thread, sorry! But it can't be stressed enough!
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited August 2013
    @bella16rose - if it's happening when your household loads it could be CC/Mod related or you're running out of RAM. Have you tried freeing up the RAM? What happens if you try and load a different household? I know you've probably already tried these things but humour me :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    MURFYKEEMURFYKEE Posts: 24 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Ok BluebellFlora is spot on as far as memory issues on Mac. I have been trying for a very long time to get Sims 3 to run on my Mac under snow leopard. Exception raised issue is frequent and crashes are as well.
    The solution to running this game is to use the Free Memory app and NO Launcher, as well setting set to lowest possible and no login to the main site. Clear your preferences and cashes manually in users prefs and cashe then log in to the game no launcher. I have had success running and no crashing.
    I think the exception raised has to do with store launcher and clearing memory.
    It works for me.
    Read BluebellFlora posts and try the above. Why can't EA just put this in a patch or something I don't know.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited August 2013
    I have all of these issues and I have read an tried a lot of your suggestions I don't think their is anything we can do. Just start over again. I must have played the same game about three times before I just started again in a new town. Saving does seem to be the only thing that works for now. If you don't play the game to long before you save.
  • Options
    maaraajamaaraaja Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    I never usually post in the forum but since this is a problem I have struggled with for a very long time I felt I had to share my experiences and hopefully helt someone out. I play on a 2011 MacBook Pro more than capable of running TS3. I have all EPs up until and including University and no CC.
    Like I mentioned I have struggled with this problem for a long time and now I have a few tricks up my sleeve that allow me to play somewhat trouble free. Most of them are The usual ones: deleting caches, bypassing the launcher and turning off unnessecary features such as the memory scrapbook. What seems to be the most important thing though is the graphic settings. Turning them down allows me to play without any issues what so ever. I can play in the "normal" town with realtively high graphic settings but lowering them is the only thing that lets me play University without encountering exception raised.

EDIT: Of course, al that this means is that the problem is indeed memory related. So this is in no way a solution but perhaps a fix so that you can at least play the game.
  • Options
    jjgrl55jjgrl55 Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    This problem has just now started for me tonight after downloading Seasons, Late Night and University Life from Origin. The game worked fine until I downloaded these expansions. Prior to this, I as running only Ambitions and Pets. So it appears that, for me at least, the issue is with one of my newer expansions (Seasons, Late Night or University Life) or simply running the game with lots of expansions running.

I have NO custom content, no mods and no store content and I don't play while logged in- so I am running a pretty "clean" game. The error has only occurred about 3 times tonight, once while loading, once after saving and exiting, and once in the middle of gameplay. So I count myself lucky I have had several solid hours of playtime in-between crashes, but it's still frustrating, obviously.

Just thought I would include my experience to help find a solution. I am currently in the process of repairing permissions, so I will update once I complete that process.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited February 2014
    You should try Error Trap and Overwatch from NRAAS as well. I know people don't like mods, but seriously these help keep your game running smoothly and clean up a lot of unnecessary stuff that can cause your game to crash.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited February 2014
    jjgrl55 wrote:
    This problem has just now started for me tonight after downloading Seasons, Late Night and University Life from Origin. The game worked fine until I downloaded these expansions. Prior to this, I as running only Ambitions and Pets. So it appears that, for me at least, the issue is with one of my newer expansions (Seasons, Late Night or University Life) or simply running the game with lots of expansions running.

I have NO custom content, no mods and no store content and I don't play while logged in- so I am running a pretty "clean" game. The error has only occurred about 3 times tonight, once while loading, once after saving and exiting, and once in the middle of gameplay. So I count myself lucky I have had several solid hours of playtime in-between crashes, but it's still frustrating, obviously.

Just thought I would include my experience to help find a solution. I am currently in the process of repairing permissions, so I will update once I complete that process.

It's started now because you have downloaded 3 EPs (Seasons especially) which use up even more RAM and, as mentioned lots of times in this thread and others on this forum, you need to purge that RAM frequently to keep gameplay going. I can play for hours so long as I constantly clear the RAM. Follow Tremayne's advice too about Mods. Late Night introduces a whole load of errors into your game to do with NPCs.
    apple-signature.png