Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Guest lecturer: Ruthless_KK! (Roofing Lessons plus Post Your Roof Questions)

Comments

• Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited June 2012
    Thanks..I got it and I am looking at it now. :D I am wondering what style you saw the house going...modern, contemporary? The turret shaped areas, if topped with cone shaped roofs do not seem to lend themselves to a contemporary style, but the rest of the house seems a bit more modern feeling. Looking at that and the landscaping, I thought something like this might work:

Screenshot-243.jpg

Screenshot-240.jpg

Screenshot-241.jpg

This section in the back doesnt lend itself well to roofing unless you change the structure, so I thought this might be a good place for a little private balcony :D

Screenshot-242.jpg

If you want, I can reupload what I have done so that you can go from there without having to redo everything. If you want that, say the word and let me know when you have it downloaded so I can take it back out of my studio. :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    bossasaurusrexbossasaurusrex Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    oh my gosh, that looks gorgeous. thank you!
    oh, and sorry for replying late, but if you don't mind letting me download it :lol:
    thank you so much! it looks really nice~

(oh, and i just want to take this opportunity to say that i downloaded one of your worlds a while ago, and everything there is beautiful, too! c:)

jahlskdjfhlasdf, thank you once again~
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    No worries! I will load it up now and just let me know when you have grabbed it so I can take it back down. :D

edit: here is your lot with the roofing: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5982867
  • Options
    bossasaurusrexbossasaurusrex Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    I got it, thanks! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I got it, thanks! :D

You are welcome! And lol....never fails to amaze me that when something is marked "do not download" there end up being several anyway.

Cant wait to see your finished lot! :D
  • Options
    pixsidust2pixsidust2 Posts: 330 Member
    edited July 2012
    Ok so I'm really going nuts >.< these odd angles are killing me. i just want it to look ok lol.

any chance you can talk me through it?

Screenshot-151.jpg

Screenshot-150.jpg

Screenshot-149.jpg

its supposed to be based on this home: http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl01452.html?from=sear
    Origin ID: pixsidust
    Find me on FB: Pixsi Sims

tumblr_m6rsylPvKg1rziwwco1_500.gif
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited July 2012
    Pixsi, I think you need to upload a copy (or at the very least send some photos that are not straight top down views).

The roofing in the house in the inspiration photo didn't look that difficult, but they doesn't mean much sometime because of how twitchy the building tools are.
    oow785m
  • Options
    pixsidust2pixsidust2 Posts: 330 Member
    edited July 2012
    Okie dokie, i uploaded it. >.<
    It's based on the plans for that home i linked but I've had to alter a good chunk of it to fit the request. I'm still iffy on roofing tho so its been giving me some issues.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6027867
    Origin ID: pixsidust
    Find me on FB: Pixsi Sims

tumblr_m6rsylPvKg1rziwwco1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    pixsidust2 wrote:
    It's based on the plans for that home i linked but I've had to alter a good chunk of it to fit the request. I'm still iffy on roofing tho so its been giving me some issues.

Pixsi, I am SO sorry! I got really busy with real life and I had it in mind that Ruthy would likely answer your question here but I didn't mention it to her and she may not even realized that you asked anything.

Let me let her know that there is a question on the thread and ONE of us will see if we can help you right away.

SORRY AGAIN!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    pixsidust2 wrote:

Hi Pixie! I didnt see that you had loaded the lot...sorry. :oops: I am loading it into my game right now to see what I can come up with for you.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ok Pix, I am looking at your house in game and it really has some odd angles that make roofing it difficult. I dont think I can make it look like the picture because the structure itself is different than the picture, so it follows that the roof will be way different as well.

I really advise some structural changes so you can get an attractive roof. Here is what I would do...I left the parts I changed a different color so you can see what I changed:

Screenshot-272.jpg

I would even out that top section and make it more balanced. You want to avoid too many diagonal walls...especially when they are going to overlap other roofs because you will get those overlap chunks missing on the corners. So I would square out that top section like I showed and then you can do something like this:

Screenshot-273.jpg

You can probably see where to go from there...but once you can work out the top part, the rest lends itself pretty well to the look you are trying to get. Just reconsider the slanted walls if you are having a hard time with a roof. :D

Good luck and I hope your build turns out great and your requester is happy. :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for you excellent advice, Ruthy! I'm sure Pixsi found it helpful.
    oow785m
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    edited July 2012
    I've just gotten round to doing all of these, and while the individual tasks weren't proving too difficult, the victorian really had me stare at my screen thinking. F. :roll:

The first house:
    Screenshot-321.jpg

The barn-style:
    Screenshot-322.jpg

The 3rd house:
    Screenshot-323.jpg

the wrap around porch (Dont mind the houses in the background, I used the all slider for the wraparound, causing those roofs to go derpy):
    Screenshot-324.jpg

Screenshot-325.jpg

The roofing that has a name in english that I cant remember.. :lol: :
    Screenshot-320.jpg

And finally, the thing that almost made me cry out for my mother, and that I'm still none too happy with:
    Screenshot-327.jpg

Screenshot-328.jpg

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I really don't feel the victorian turned out well..

• Options
    edited July 2012
    MariskaAmy,

GREAT job! I really thought everything was excellent except the Victorian which I would still call "very good".

If you want to see how Ruthy did that Victorian roof, just look for the house in her Studio (she gave us the unroofed version to play with). You won't find ANY better roofing than what Ruthy can do.

I will also go to her Studio and see if I can spot the house so that I can give you the link.

Zoo

EDIT:
    I think I must be mistaken! Maybe Ruthy built that house just for the course because I thought the finished version was in her Studio and I can't find it. I will ask her about it when she gets back (she's on a trip). SORRY!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the response Zoo!

I did search around her studio for it, downloaded way too many things while I was there, she's way too good at all this.. But couldn't find the victorian either. I hope she does roof it as an example, as for me, that'd be a great way to learn and improve.

Overall, I really liked this course, roofing is definately one of the things I suck most at :lol: But this course has really given me some ideas on how to tackle builds that arent as complicated as the victorian.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ruthless sent me a link to the victorian she roofed, and it's really helped me. I spent half an hour picking it apart and rebuilding it to practice, and I've really learned a lot from that. I personally learn really well when I have an example and am able to see how someone else solved something.

This course has really gotten me quite a lot further as far as roofing goes, and i'll be sure to use what I've learned in future builds ^^ Thank you, Ruthless_kk, for the great course!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    Ruthless sent me a link to the victorian she roofed, and it's really helped me. I spent half an hour picking it apart and rebuilding it to practice, and I've really learned a lot from that. I personally learn really well when I have an example and am able to see how someone else solved something.

This course has really gotten me quite a lot further as far as roofing goes, and i'll be sure to use what I've learned in future builds ^^ Thank you, Ruthless_kk, for the great course!

Ruthy rocks, no question about it! :)

I'm so glad you got so much out of this class and I know your teacher will be pleased to hear it as well!!
    oow785m
  • Options
    SunshyneRoseSunshyneRose Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi just wondering if this is still going on. I just noticed Hidehi say she had just finished a lesson. So I looked it up.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi just wondering if this is still going on. I just noticed Hidehi say she had just finished a lesson. So I looked it up.

Yes....and no. I had to take down the sample lots from my studio because I ran out of room. ( I also had to delete several other lots...boo!) So those are not readily available. However, the basic principles still apply and if you want to try doing some of those kinds of roofs and have any questions at all, I am more than happy to lend a hand and answer what I can. Just give me a shout on my page and I will try to do whatever I can to be helpful.

ruthy
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ruthy should have special permission to have more space in her Studio, don't you all agree? I don't want ANY Ruthy builds to get deleted.

SunshyneRose:
    In very few of the lessons is there something that you have to download in order to do the lesson.

About Zoo U: You can take any of the Zoo U classes at any time. After they are not "live" they become online tutorials BUT I monitor all Zoo U threads so that if you post a question on one of them you WILL get an answer. It can take a few days, but I make sure that no students are left hanging.

Here is the link for the Zoo U Master Thread which has all the Zoo U course links:

zoo_u_threadbanners_mainlogo_masterlink.png"width=650"
    oow785m
  • Options
    cbrock7cbrock7 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hey,

I don't know if y'all still monitor this, I studied this thread over the thanksgiving holiday, I'm late as can be, I finally had some time to myself and wanted to try. I am posting a few pics. I have always struggled with roofs, so I tackled a Victorian, (I felt that would be a challenge for me) actually, I should have read Ruths Victorian how to's first. (I already know, the turrets are to big!, I read through it after I finished this build) I really hate to tear it down, however, I probably won't share it. Anyway, aside from the turrets being to big, what do you think of my roof? I myself, am pleased but is there anything I should have done different?

Also, on the second floor (in the turret area to the left, I had a problem placing a desk...it said the ceiling was to low, I didn't have a clue as to how to fix it, so I made it a walk-in closet.

Thanks for putting this class together Ruth, It sure makes me want to replace every roof I've ever done. :(

Screenshot-56_zpsac588c24.jpg"width=650"

Screenshot-12_zpsd52a7dc5.jpg"width=650"

Screenshot-52_zps6dda0cdd.jpg"width=650"
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Hi, cbrock7! All Zoo U threads will be monitored as long as this site is active, so I saw your post today.

Love your Victorian! Gorgeous build, lovely color combination and exterior siding choices, and nice roofing!

I know that generally Ruthy advises a smaller turret, as you yourself pointed out, but your house is a little different and a bit whimsical already due to your window choices (the "lock" window always adds whimsy and when used extensively I think it gives the whole build a bit of a "fantasy" feeling), so I'm not sure that the unrealistically proportioned turret is such a big problem here. No, it doesn't look like most realistic turrets, but also I don't think it HAS to in order to work for this house.

If I were you I might experiment with one of the darker green roofs to see if that clashes or if it gives good contrast. Right now the siding and roofing are much the same (which IS interesting even if, again, it may not be strictly realistic).

I like this house very much and would put some sort of eccentric Sim in there (maybe an elderly fairy alchemist who is forever cooking up one potion or another or a witch who has a habit of turning any unwanted quests into her pretty little world into toads).

I think you could make a couple of changes to make this a very realistic build, but I don't think I would since it works now as a charming, fanciful lot.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    cbrock7cbrock7 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2013
    Thank you zoo,

I liked it too, and I so wanted to use those windows -- I just always imagined they'd work on a victorian, but never dared to make one. I thought the windows made it special.

Loved your idea of moving an eccentric simmie in there. I had that sucker all furnished and experimented with taryns moo in the kitchen, so I just couldn't bring myself to tear it down. I have discovered that I do have an earlier save of the shell, so maybe I will work on making it realistic now. :)

Maybe, I'll share it on the exchange -- lol, then again, maybe not, since Ruth offered the Victorian course, everybody may say "what was this girl thinking?" ha ha.

Again, thank you so much for your input.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    cbrock7 wrote:
    Thank you zoo,

I liked it too, and I so wanted to use those windows -- I just always imagined they'd work on a victorian, but never dared to make one. I thought the windows made it special.

Loved your idea of moving an eccentric simmie in there. I had that sucker all furnished and experimented with taryns moo in the kitchen, so I just couldn't bring myself to tear it down. I have discovered that I do have an earlier save of the shell, so maybe I will work on making it realistic now. :)

Maybe, I'll share it on the exchange -- lol, then again, maybe not, since Ruth offered the Victorian course, everybody may say "what was this girl thinking?" ha ha.

You should DEFINITELY upload this beauty! I don't think every build SHOULD look ultra realistic. Some things should be whimsical or fanciful or both.

My friend Lissy makes Victorians that ARE realistic, but something about them just have a certain whimsy and charm that causes me to smile every time. I don't even know HOW many of her builds are in my game (and in my favorites). They work as real world houses, but they could also work for a witch or fairy or zany inventor or something fun! I put your lovely house in this category. It would need very small changes to make it ultra realistic, but why do it? :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    cbrock7 wrote:
    Thank you zoo,

Just saw this...your house is gorgeous! I agree with Zoo about the roof color. It is so similar to the walls that I think the details of your shape are getting lost. I can totally see a fairy or a nature witch living there. You fantastic job and yes...upload that beauty and share it! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top