Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Guest lecturer: Ruthless_KK! (Roofing Lessons plus Post Your Roof Questions)

Comments

• ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited May 2012
    Marlaina,

Your mansard roof looks awesome! In the one picture where you ask about the dormers, I am assuming you mean the chimneys. I might move them, but they don't look bad where they are (just maybe a bit unusual in the placement). What I wouldn't do is have two chimneys like that and then have the bricked chimney that the game sticks you with all on the same house.

Are there actual chimneys inside what you have labeled as "dormers" or are those just hollow shafts? If they are hollow shafts, then I would either lose the real chimney completely or disguise it so that it matches the fake ones.

That's just my opinion. As I said, it looks good now.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Marlaina1994Marlaina1994 Posts: 234
    edited May 2012
    Here is my completed build for the final in lesson 1. I tried not to change the layout, just moved the door on the side of the house and added stairs. Does the house seem unfinished? I placed the (I think I used the mansard) along one side of the house, so the longer I stare at the pic, the more it seems unfinished.

finallesson4.jpg

finallesson3.jpg

finallesson2.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Marlaina,

Your mansard roof looks awesome! In the one picture where you ask about the dormers, I am assuming you mean the chimneys. I might move them, but they don't look bad where they are (just maybe a bit unusual in the placement). What I wouldn't do is have two chimneys like that and then have the bricked chimney that the game sticks you with all on the same house.

Are there actual chimneys inside what you have labeled as "dormers" or are those just hollow shafts? If they are hollow shafts, then I would either lose the real chimney completely or disguise it so that it matches the fake ones.

That's just my opinion. As I said, it looks good now.

Zoo

Thank you. I will get rid of the chimney.
  • ireneruthyablonireneruthyablon Posts: 555 Member
    edited May 2012
    screenshot_original.jpg

It took me only about 3 days to learn how to add this picture to this message!

Do you see the gap between the roof covering the entry way and the second floor? I made sure that every object was removed from the space below that roof, and on the second floor. Absolutely nothing is in either of these areas except for walls. Can you idenitfy what is causing the problem?

Next time I decide to remodel a house I will add the roof first then decorate it. It's really a good thing that I decided to put in three levels for the basement. Otherwise I might have had other floors that need a roof. Two is enough for now.

Is there a deadline for posting pictures from the two assignments?

screenshot_original.jpg

Edit: Now that I am able to add pictures here's the only house, so far, that I transformed so far for this class. Is it ok? Very boring? Please let me know you think of it.

Edit #2: To edit message

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2012
    Here is my completed build for the final in lesson 1. I tried not to change the layout, just moved the door on the side of the house and added stairs. Does the house seem unfinished? I placed the (I think I used the mansard) along one side of the house, so the longer I stare at the pic, the more it seems unfinished.

IMAGES

Marlaina,

I don't think it looks unfinished. I'm not sure of the part that is bothering you. Could you post a picture and maybe circle it or something?

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    screenshot_original.jpg

It took me only about 3 days to learn how to add this picture to this message!

Do you see the gap between the roof covering the entry way and the second floor? I made sure that every object was removed from the space below that roof, and on the second floor. Absolutely nothing is in either of these areas except for walls. Can you idenitfy what is causing the problem?

Next time I decide to remodel a house I will add the roof first then decorate it. It's really a good thing that I decided to put in three levels for the basement. Otherwise I might have had other floors that need a roof. Two is enough for now.

Is there a deadline for posting pictures from the two assignments?

Irene,

Could you post a picture with all the roof sections on the house? I THINK (but can't say for sure without more information) what is going on in your house has to do with a glitch that happens when you have one roof section overhang another roof section. You get "notches" or missing areas in the lower roof sections.

You can get rid of this BUT not permanently (not in any way that I know of, maybe Ruthy knows of a way that works permanently and I would love to hear it if she does because this is a huge pain).

To get rid of the "notch" in your lower roof, go to roofing, click the "remove all roofs" button, then click "undo". That will fix it UNTIL someone opens up the build area and starts messing with things, then the notch comes back. You can always get rid of it again in the same way.

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    I hope these pictures help. The roof for the second floor has been completed. For the first floor only the sections on the right and left were done. I haven't finished with one section of the second floor wall in the front which is located right above the problem roof area.

Is it the design of the house that is causing the putting a roof on the house to be difficult?

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

I hope I not being a pest to ask if you have any comments on the roof I put on this house for the first lesson of your class.

screenshot_original.jpg
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited May 2012
    I hope these pictures help. The roof for the second floor has been completed. For the first floor only the sections on the right and left were done. I haven't finished with one section of the second floor wall in the front which is located right above the problem roof area.

Is it the design of the house that is causing the putting a roof on the house to be difficult?

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

I hope I not being a pest to ask if you have any comments on the roof I put on this house for the first lesson of your class.

screenshot_original.jpg

Irene...I think the issue is that the dormer roof is drawn beyond the lines of the wall...the overhang is making the part of the roof beneath it disappear. This happens:
    Screenshot-160-1.jpg
    Screenshot-166-1.jpg

What that means is you need to redraw the dormer and not ever extend it so much...take it back a square. It will still cover everything but you wont have that missing bit that is driving you nuts:

Screenshot-158-1.jpg
    Screenshot-159-1.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Hi Ruthless__kk! Thanks so much for your answer. Interesting that such a small mistake could create so many problems. :oops:

Off to continue with this house, and then start again on your lessons! :D
    edited May 2012
    Well, I did donwload and start on the final exam, but I lost everything. I am going to download the exam again and try to have it completed by this week.
    edited May 2012
    Okay, here is my completed roof for the final exam, lesson 2.

finalexam6.jpg

finalexam5.jpg

finalexam4.jpg

finalexam3.jpg

finalexam2.jpg

finalexam1.jpg

edited May 2012
    Is it possible to create something similiar to a thatched roof in the game? That type of roof really can change the appearance of a house.

Edit: We really could use additional building materials. I think it be great if we were able to have a rooftop garden complete with growing grass and trees. From the experiences I have with the building mode I am sure that it would be quite easy to get some kind of error code if attempting to add a tree that mentions something like the roof being too low.

It doesn't make any sense that EA hasn't expanded the tools needed to create beautiful houses. They could be making even more $$$ if they did. Maybe they feel as though they don't need it. Yeah, sure. :lol:

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2012
    Okay, here is my completed roof for the final exam, lesson 2.

IMAGES

This is gorgeous, Marlaina!
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    Is it possible to create something similiar to a thatched roof in the game? That type of roof really can change the appearance of a house.

Edit: We really could use additional building materials. I think it be great if we were able to have a rooftop garden complete with growing grass and trees. From the experiences I have with the building mode I am sure that it would be quite easy to get some kind of error code if attempting to add a tree that mentions something like the roof being too low.

It doesn't make any sense that EA hasn't expanded the tools needed to create beautiful houses. They could be making even more $$$ if they did. Maybe they feel as though they don't need it. Yeah, sure. :lol:

Hi, Irene!

As to your first question, there is no way to do a thatched roof. I saw someone who had made a thatched pattern and then used the ConstrainFloorElevation (or CFE) cheat to remold floor sections to approximate the shape of a thatched roof, but she didn't get exactly the result she wanted and it requires EXPERT level CFE skills to even attempt that.

I COMPLETELY agree that we need more build tools and more options (recolorable roofs and recolorable flowers would be two things that would make a huge difference just by themselves). We have been begging for a "just for builders" stuff pack for a long while. It would have stuff like gingerbreading that could be added on walls and roof edges and adjusted for height so that we could really make some of the fancy Victorian details that you see in real houses.

I completely agree that all that stuff for builders would sell like hotcakes! It is in EA's best interest to make them. :mrgreen:
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    Thank you Zoo Professor3 and Ruthless KK for doing such a wonderful job Showing how to build a roof the correct way. I learned so much and really enjoyed your class. Again, thank you.
    edited May 2012
    Thank you Zoo Professor3 and Ruthless KK for doing such a wonderful job Showing how to build a roof the correct way. I learned so much and really enjoyed your class. Again, thank you.

Well, for the very little I did, you are very welcome! I think Ruthy did a great job with the roofing class and this time she did all the real work. :D
    oow785m
  • gokukarengokukaren Posts: 1,247 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Just wanted to write a note of thanks to Ruthy for conducting fantastic roofing technique classes and to Zoo for putting together this great building classes thread. I certainly wish I had these classes when I started building. I would have fewer gray hairs! Ruthy, you are a roofing master and I don't know how many times I have downloaded your homes over the past 2 years just to see how you did it. This class is excellent and you explained your tips so well and they are easy to understand. I learned some tips and since roofing is and always will be a challenge for me, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'm sure there are many people that popped in and took a look and learned as a result. THANK YOU!!!
  • gokukarengokukaren Posts: 1,247 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Also, have a wonderful time with your daughter Ruth!!
    edited May 2012
    gokukaren wrote:
    Just wanted to write a note of thanks to Ruthy for conducting fantastic roofing technique classes and to Zoo for putting together this great building classes thread. I certainly wish I had these classes when I started building. I would have fewer gray hairs! Ruthy, you are a roofing master and I don't know how many times I have downloaded your homes over the past 2 years just to see how you did it. This class is excellent and you explained your tips so well and they are easy to understand. I learned some tips and since roofing is and always will be a challenge for me, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'm sure there are many people that popped in and took a look and learned as a result. THANK YOU!!!

Gokukaren,

Thank you so much for the kind words about Zoo U and I completely agree with you about Ruthy's class! Didn't she do a great job? I think I do pretty decent with the roofing tool and I still picked up some really useful pointers.

I have to say that that was my experience with Svlyn's CFE class as well. I felt pretty comfortable with CFE before the class and didn't expect it to be that much help to me, but it really was a LOT of help.

We have some exciting Zoo U classes coming up in the next months, including Wibble's class on building modern houses and Lissykin's class on building tombs, so stay tuned! :mrgreen:

Zoo
    oow785m
  • WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited May 2012
    gokukaren wrote:

Gokukaren,

Thank you so much for the kind words about Zoo U and I completely agree with you about Ruthy's class! Didn't she do a great job? I think I do pretty decent with the roofing tool and I still picked up some really useful pointers.

I have to say that that was my experience with Svlyn's CFE class as well. I felt pretty comfortable with CFE before the class and didn't expect it to be that much help to me, but it really was a LOT of help.

We have some exciting Zoo U classes coming up in the next months, including Wibble's class on building modern houses and Lissykin's class on building tombs, so stay tuned! :mrgreen:

Zoo

*walks in right on cue* Yep, the class is in preparation as we speak :)

--Wibble :)
    edited May 2012
    LOL! Excellent timing, my Wibble! I'm just waiting for you to tell me the start date and I will set up your registration thread! *looks at watch and taps foot* :mrgreen:
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    Hello ZooProfessor3. How are you doing today?

Just stopped by to let you know that the house that you and Ruthless__kk helped me with has been added to the Exchange. Lots of pictures were posted on Mr. Fidlerten's post "Showcasing Your Lots 3. Here's the link of you are interested in seeing the final results. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/13920/279465.page#8592281 and http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/13905/279465.page.

Thanks again for your help.
    edited May 2012
    Hello ZooProfessor3. How are you doing today?

Just stopped by to let you know that the house that you and Ruthless__kk helped me with has been added to the Exchange. Lots of pictures were posted on Mr. Fidlerten's post "Showcasing Your Lots 3. Here's the link of you are interested in seeing the final results. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/13920/279465.page#8592281 and http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/13905/279465.page.

Thanks again for your help.

Irene,

Your house is great! It is really eccentric and odd (in the best way). I love how imaginative it all is and I LOVE the idea of plates of pastries at hand in nearly every room! LOL!

In your last link in your post, you should edit it so that the period at the end is not a part of the link (it gives a trouble page if you try to use it as is). If you will give the Exchange link for the house I would love to give you a rec for it.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited May 2012
    Great job on your house Irene! I am so glad you were able to finish it. :D

Here is the link for Irenes house: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5799580

I have rec'd it.
    edited May 2012
    Great job on your house Irene! I am so glad you were able to finish it. :D

Here is the link for Irenes house: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5799580

I have rec'd it.

I rec'd it, too!
    oow785m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top