Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Guest lecturer: Ruthless_KK! (Roofing Lessons plus Post Your Roof Questions)

Comments

• Options
    Marlaina1994Marlaina1994 Posts: 234
    edited May 2012
    I just found this thread. I would like to register for lesson 2 but have not begun lesson 1. Should I register now or wait until I have completed lesson 1?
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited May 2012
    Irene..can you load the house with the roof problems into your studio for me? That way I can download it into my game and take a close look and come up with some solutions for you.

Last night I started a blog. I have posted pictures from the assignments from your classes as well as from the remodeling project. I have also posted a photo of a fabulous building in Richmond, VA. I know that people use blogs to write about their life. I'll use it to show beautiful architecture. :D

Thank you very much for answering. And so quickly too! :shock: :D Wonderful!

I think I see what is causing your problem....the roofing tool will not draw through doors or windows or fences....anything like that. Since you have windows placed on the second floor, it is possible the roof tool is hitting something and that is why it is not drawing out. If you could upload your lot to the exchange for me, I can put it in my game and show you a few possible ways to do the roofing that you might like.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I just found this thread. I would like to register for lesson 2 but have not begun lesson 1. Should I register now or wait until I have completed lesson 1?

You can sign up any time :D The lesson 2 is going to be a bit more complicated than lesson 1, so yu might want to start with lesson 1 if you feel like you are a beginner. No rush....the lesson is in the thread and the practice lot is in my studio for you to download. You can work through it at your own pace. If you have questions, you can post them here in the thread.

I will be on line Saturday at noon central standard time to take questions in person, but that doesnt mean you have to wait till then to ask. I will be popping in and out of the thread for as long as it takes to answer questions and help anyone who needs it. :)
  • Options
    ireneruthyablonireneruthyablon Posts: 555 Member
    edited May 2012
    If you could upload your lot to the exchange for me, I can put it in my game and show you a few possible ways to do the roofing that you might like.

That's very kind of you to suggest that. Before I upload it I would like to go over it and make any changes that I think it needs to be sure that it is presentable. I will let you know when it is on the Exchange, with my nasty roof. All windows will be removed. It will be named The Doobie's Test Subject #1.

I would like to withdraw it from the Exchange as soon as you download it. After it has a proper roof, and all the other small details finished, I will upload it for a second time.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If you could upload your lot to the exchange for me, I can put it in my game and show you a few possible ways to do the roofing that you might like.

That's very kind of you to suggest that. Before I upload it I would like to go over it and make any changes that I think it needs to be sure that it is presentable. I will let you know when it is on the Exchange, with my nasty roof. All windows will be removed. It will be named The Doobie's Test Subject #1.

I would like to withdraw it from the Exchange as soon as you download it. After it has a proper roof, and all the other small details finished, I will upload it for a second time.

No worries...I understand completely. As soon as I load it I will let you know so you csn take it back down. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Doobie's Test Subject #1 has been uploaded to the Internet. Along with a message advising players NOT to download it until it is finished.

From what I know of the human race I would believe that if you tell someone not to do something that just makes them even more interested in doing whatever it is that you do not want them to do.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5699683 is the link.

Thank you once again.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ok...I got it. Let me play around with it a little and make some pix to show you what you can try with the roof. :D
  • Options
    kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited May 2012
    Thanks Ruth. I may just extend the room one tile more, or use the awnings and see what I like better.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ok Irene....I think I have some tips that might help you with the roof on your cool house. ( it IS a cool house, by the way...interiors have so much personality!)

When I looked at the house, the first thing I noticed is that you have a lot of horizontal seams on the roof....and what I mean by that is blunt seams where different roof parts to not flow into each other:

toomanyhorizontalseams.jpg

What you want to try to do on the top section is get the parts to flow into each other more....something like this:

smootherwithseamsgoingintowardsmainroof.jpg

That way everything draws in to the main body of the roof and blends with each other better. Does that make sense?

The next thing is that I would suggest you put in your decking so you can see exactly where roofing needs to go. It makes roofing work easier.
    Screenshot-132.jpg

Also...and I hate to say this because the second floor is already furnished, but you need to remove the stuff from the second floor. Yuck, right? I know. But the roofing tool will not allow collision with any objects and I think that is why you cant add that one section. And....you need to be able to draw into the walls enough to get smooth seams on your roof. That is why I generally do all of the exterior stuff before I place any interior stuff.
    Screenshot-133.jpg

Another big challenge of this roof is that you have that cute patio area on the decond floor with some roofing in front of it. Most roof types will cut into that patio, as you no doubt already discovered. The half hip roof ( single slant) will work on the lowest setting here without encroaching on the patio...it is the only one that really does....but it means you cant see part of the fencing. That is the best we can do with this layout:

addroofbutleavebalcony1.jpg

Using that roof, we get a nice smooth seam with the front section. The part you could not get to roof, I covered like this:

Screenshot-135.jpg

Now....another challenge ( this is a very tricky roof...no wonder you were frustrated!) is that if we use the single slant on the front...we get a goofy gap on the other side like this:

frontroofcausesissue.jpg

Under the circumstances, the best way to handle this is to make another small patio area and then roof the larger section like this:

Screenshot-137.jpg

Here is the final look all together:

Screenshot-138.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions about this. This was a really hard roof to deal with...but I think this solution gives a smoother more unified appearance in the end.
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited May 2012

You can sign up any time :D The lesson 2 is going to be a bit more complicated than lesson 1, so yu might want to start with lesson 1 if you feel like you are a beginner. No rush....the lesson is in the thread and the practice lot is in my studio for you to download. You can work through it at your own pace. If you have questions, you can post them here in the thread.

Marlaina1994,

I will be on line Saturday at noon central standard time to take questions in person, but that doesnt mean you have to wait till then to ask. I will be popping in and out of the thread for as long as it takes to answer questions and help anyone who needs it. :)

I will go ahead and register you for the second course. Hopefully you will get the first one done in time that you can attend the second one "live" this Saturday! Welcome to Zoo U!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ruthy,

Your advice and help in roofing the two "problem" roofs that were brought in was brilliant! I would not have thought of the recolored awnings! And didn't Irene's house turn out COOL? I love a complicated roofing set up because when it works it adds such interest to your house.

Just wanted to say that I'm learning a lot watching the problems that you are helping others solve!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Your critique of the house is wonderful! :thumbup:

I do believe that the non-flowing roofs were deliberate. It was done so that each section could be recognized as a separate piece.

So far I have read your message at least 4 times. Actually it's probably more than that. Tomorrow after I read it again I will move all the furnishings from the second floor to another location, so that I don't forget what I used, and start on the roof.

About that patio on the second floor, if I find that the roof does not allow the fence to be seen I will just use a taller fence. Maybe that whole section might be changed.

Thanks so much. :D

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hello everyone! :D

If you havent had the time yet, please check out lesson 1 and the thread in general. There have been some great questions posed by fellow simmers that might be similar to questions you have. If you have a question that hasnt been covered yet, dont be shy! :-) Ask away! Even if I am not here, I will be popping in frequently and I WILL answer.

So...let's get started with lesson 2 and PORCHES.

To talk about porches we are going to look at a basic farmhouse with wraparound porches. A single porch is pretty easy, but many times it can get frustrating when you try to connect several of them together.

So lets say we want to make something like this:

Screenshot-84.jpg

The first thing I am going to suggest is that you try to make covered porches only 2 squares wide. More than that, and the roof needed to cover it becomes too big and out of proportion to the rest of the house. Like so:

Screenshot-75.jpg

So, if at all possible, make your porches 2 squares wide. Next, place your decking. I really suggest you do this before doing any roofing at all to help you see what you are working with and where you need to place roofing. With wraparound porches, you want to start with a corner section first.

You want to use the hipped roof and draw it so that the seam of the roof matches up to the seam of the house edge:

Screenshot-76.jpg

Make sure you have not put in the windows or any interior furniture on the second fllor before starting this procedure. The roofing tool will not allow you to collide with anything and to do a good porch with smooth seams, we will be drawing though the walls quite a bit. If you are working and you find that the tool will not allow you to draw....look inside and see if you have a door or an object it might be colliding with.

So...we are going to draw just the corner for now like this:

lineupcornerseam.jpg

Now we are going to work our way around and cover all of the decking using the hipped roof.

Screenshot-77.jpg

See how the left hand side has a gap? That is because we didnt draw the roof wide enough. We need to draw it far enough into the wall that we have a clean seam like this:

Screenshot-78.jpg

Then use the roof angle tool to make sure that the sections are the same.

Screenshot-79.jpg

There! A nice clean roof seam that fits perfectly. Since we are going to be joining several sections together, it is a good idea to do the porch first and use the "all roof angles tool" that adjusts all the roofs at the same time. This will ensure that all of the sections fit together.

allrooftool.jpg

Sometimes when you are joining several roofs together, you might see some jagged breaks or tears in the roofs. If you use the all roof tool and adjust it up a little and then back down to where you want it to be, the movement will "join" those tears together.

tearing.jpg

When you are going around corners with a roof, it is easier to do the corners first. So with a wraparound roof, after you do the first section, move to the next **corner** and do that next like so ( making sure that the seam of the roof matches up again to the edge of the wall):

Screenshot-80.jpg

Then you can go back in and join the two sections together:

Screenshot-81.jpg

Keep working your way around the house in a similar manner. But wait! What do we have here?

straightedge.jpg

We dont have a corner...we have a straight edge. Well....we must just draw out the roof and finish things up, right?

Screenshot-82.jpg

Ugh! That does not look very nice does it? I admit this is a personal peeve of mine, but I really try to avoid having roofing visibly cutting into walls like this. It just looks messy to me. The solution for this is to go with a different roof that has a clean edge....like that half hip roof:

steponeforbarn.jpg

The half hip will allow us to finish off the porch cleanly, like this:

Screenshot-83.jpg

The only thing you have to watch when using two different styles like this together to do a porch is that you dont have clear seams where the two styles join up....like this:

badedge1.jpg

So then...you may think the solution is to start the straight roof a little farther in, right?

badjoin2.jpg

That doesnt seem to work either, does it? So what is the solution? We need to bring out the corner section a bit more first. This will allow us to join things up without gaps or overlaps. So bring out the corner a little more with the hipped roof like this:

joinsolution1.jpg

Then you have more room to add that straight half hip section to finish out your porch:
    joinsolution2.jpg

So...that is the basics of porches. Ready to try one with a little challenge to it? Find the hands on lot here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5669309

Find this house:

Screenshot-116.jpg

Add the porches. Notice the porch zigzags around the shape of the house a bit...dont get intimidated. You can do this! :-) Place your decking first. Follow the same steps we just discussed and just work your way around.

If you have any questions, let me know. I will be here working on the next section, which is Victorians. There is no "hands on" shell for victorians in the practice lot, because when we are done, you will get your final exam "hands on" lot to work on. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ok....now we are ready for something really complicated. :D Why? Because you already know the basics of roofing:

1) cover the area to be roofed in decking to make it easier to see your work space.

2) make sure we dont have any windows, doors or furniture in the house that will collide with our roofing efforts.

3) Start by determining the main section of the roof: the biggest section that can be covered as a whole.

4) Work your way around the house and deal with each leftover section as it comes.

5) Try to match up seams whenever possible by lining them up with the corners of the house.

6) Look at the whole occasionally to make sure everything flows together and gives a pleasing and balanced appearance.

7) Use different shapes to give our roofing some variety and interest.

All of these things apply to just about every kind of house you might try to roof. Especially Victorians. Victorian houses can be a little scary because they have a lot of sections and many different things going on. It can seem a little overwhelming...but all you have to do is take it slow and work your way around the house.

Lets take a house like this as an example:

Screenshot-136-1.jpg

This roof is something you can absolutely handle! :D First, lets put down our decking:

Screenshot-1362-1.jpg

You might notice in this example we have a roof type we have not covered before....the round or conical roofing that are on turrets.
    Screenshot-136-2.jpg

A few things that might drive you nuts about using this kind of roof: getting the roof to center on what you are trying to cover. Sometimes you might find it always wants to be over a little like this:

Screenshot-143-1.jpg

It looks right until you see it from another angle and it seems like no matter what you do it wont line up. There is an easy solution to that! Always draw by placing the roof tool on one corner ....and draw to the opposite corner like this:

anydirection.png

Start and stop drawing on the corners and not beyond and the roof will be centered.

addingconicalroofing.png
    Screenshot-136-2.jpg

Another thing you might notices is that when you draw a conical roof it looks weird and smushed like this:
    Screenshot-142-1.jpg

That just means you need to use the individual roof angle tool:

individualrooftool.jpg

and raise it up until it looks right.

One final note about the conical roof. Just like with other roofs, the size of the cone is directly proportional to the area it is covering. So a big turret will mean a very big cone:

Screenshot-144-1.jpg

And a smaller turret will make a smaller cone:

Screenshot-148-1.jpg

This is important to keep in mind when you are constructing your house. Large turrets mgiht give you more room on the inside, but the cone it takes to cover them can really be out of proportion to the rest of your house and throw the whole look off. My best advice is to try to keep whatever you are covering with a conical shaped roof to be as small as possible...that will give you the best options for the appearance of your house. It might mean that the turret room can only be a bathroom instead of a bedroom, but you can always place a bedroom somewhere else in the house, right? :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Let's start working on the Victorian using the steps we already covered. :D First thing we are going to do is look for what is going to be the main section of the roof

This section looks like it should be perfect, right?

Screenshot-149-1.jpg

It covers a large part of the roof...doesnt leave weird margins or anything....great! Nope. :( That shape will mean the roof we draw will look like this:

Screenshot-51.jpg

You might be saying to yourself "so? what is the problem? That looks fine to me." Well yes...and no. It looks ok as it is...but once we start adding the other roofs there will be a problem with the shape of the house. You will need to start working out the roofs to discover the problem.....so lets add a few more and see what it is:

toomanypeaks.jpg

We are going to have too many peaks! We can try to make those other roofs something else...and here are some examples:

doesntwork1.jpg

This has different roofing but the seams still echo the peak shape, dont they? Not enough variety.

Here is a straight roof type in the mix....also doesnt work. Look at that sloppy edge!

doesntwork2.jpg

So that means our main section is not as perfect as we thought! We need to find another one. I think this will work here:

mainsection.jpg

This shape means we can have the roof go horizontally so we dont have too many peaks at the front.
    Screenshot-52.jpg

Lets start by finishing the front section first:

Screenshot-1493.jpg

And we know the turrets are going to be conical roofs. They can be smooth or ribbed cones. How about one of each for now...for variety sake? :D

Screenshot-150-1.jpg

Now what about the section to the left?
    When I made this house, I elected to make that a balcony like this:

balcony.jpg

But let's say we want to go ahead and roof that? How would we do it? Since it is a turret shape, lets draw on the decking so we can see where the conical roof might go....like this:

Screenshot-53.jpg

That allows us to find the points we need to draw the roof in and have it centered properly....like so:

Screenshot-54.jpg

And then we have to finish off the rest of that little section. The half hip would be best as it will join with the wall neatly and allow us to form a good seam with the conical roof.....like so:

Screenshot-55.jpg

We want a smooth joining of the parts as much as possible.

So now that we have this section done lets move around to the rest of this side. We need to find the biggest chunk to cover on top. Think this might be it?

Screenshot-56.jpg

If we use that as a chunk, the rectangle will make us have to draw the roof in like so:

Screenshot-57.jpg

And you know why that doesnt work, dont you? There is that odd little margin on the left...not a deal breaker, but not great. The deal breaker for this roof is that deep seam in the middle where it joins with the main section. That looks broken up and it does not flow at all, does it?

That means we have to find another main chunk. How about this one?

Screenshot-58.jpg

Yes! That looks like a good possibility. Lets cover it up and see:

Screenshot-60.jpg

Now we have some additional sections to deal with. For a good looking roof, we need to hande each of these sections individually, as in the red boxes......but for a good shape and flow...we want to make sure they blend into each other...going the same direction ( the green arrows) This will mean that even though we have a lot going on, the roof wont get too busy looking.

flow.jpg

See what I mean?

Screenshot-61.jpg

Even still...if we want it to be smoother, we could use the hipped roof that has softer edges like this:

Screenshot-64.jpg

Same concept...we handled each part as its own section..but they both go the same direction together...and join nicely. Make sense?

I think you have the tools you need to tackle something really tricky now. We will call this the "final exam" and I made it pretty hard because I want you to really put everything we have talked about to use.

If you get stuck...that is fine. Post a picture and we will talk about about. Chances are someone else might be having the same issue. Once you work out a hard problem, you always remember how to deal with it....so if you can roof this house, you should be up for just about anything!! :D

The final exam is here:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5707804

• Options
    edited May 2012
    First part of Lesson 2 is up and ready to go! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    :D Sorry...started adding lesson info to the wrong part of the thread. :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2012
    I know I'm cutting this really close, but is it too late to Register Me for lesson 2?

I understand if it is, and will always follow along afterwards with the links!

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    I know I'm cutting this really close, but is it too late to Register Me for lesson 2?

Thank you!

Nope! Not too late at all...join in! :D:D:D

***To everyone: Sorry it is taking me so long to get the lesson up. Photobucket is being really wonky today and it keeps trying to break my pages. I am fiddling with it now and hope to be able to post the rest asap.***
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I am having some technical dificulties with photobucket and my computer in general this morning....working to resolve it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    priscapup wrote:

Thank you!

You are right on time! :D

I'll add you to the class roster right now and Welcome to Zoo U!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ruthy,

Photobucket drives me crazy when it doesn't want to play right! We've all been there. You started posting early so most students have enough to keep them busy until you can get the technology to cooperate and let you post the rest of the lesson.

This is AWESOME stuff by the way! Love it!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    kc922kc922 Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2012
    Ok... not too sure about this one. I confess that I had to remove 2 of the floor tiles because I just couldn't get it to work for me.

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/148/922/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Don't really like that bit but the seams do line up with the walls...
    [img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/144/922/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

It was over the back stairs that I deleted the 2 floor tiles...
    [img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/135/922/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/138/922/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/129/922/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/136/922/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Any advice? Thanks! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job! :D
  • Options
    kc922kc922 Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2012
    HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job! :D

Thanks Ruthy, looking forward to it. Good luck with photobucket :thumbup:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top