Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Guest lecturer: Ruthless_KK! (Roofing Lessons plus Post Your Roof Questions)

Comments

• ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited May 2012
    kc922 wrote:
    HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job! :D

Thanks Ruth, looking forward to it. Good luck with photobucket :thumbup:

LOL...I have been swearing worse than a sailor this morning because of photobucket. But I think I finally beat it into submission. :D

Here is the feedback I wanted to give you:

First: nothing at all wrong with deleting some things to get a roof to flow better. I do it all the time....to get a better shape or to get the roof to have a better shape. Good thinking on that! You should always leave yourself open to that as you work...which is why you want to do the exteriors before you start messing with placing interior stuff.

Secondly: There is a slight gap on the front roof section as it comes into the wall....kind of like this:

gap.jpg

Yours is not that dramatic...I just wanted to make it very visible on my example. I suspect that is from the tool hitting the door or light in that room. I left those things in so that you might have to remember to delete them before roofing. I would just draw out that roof a little farther so that the edge meets the wall cleanly:

smoothedge.jpg

Other than that, I think you did a fantastic job and have a good grasp of the concept. Now you can mess with it and make it your own. :D
  • kc922kc922 Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2012
    kc922 wrote:
    HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job! :D

Thanks Ruthy, looking forward to it. Good luck with photobucket :thumbup:

LOL...I have been swearing worse than a sailor this morning because of photobucket. But I think I finally beat it into submission. :D

Here is the feedback I wanted to give you:

First: nothing at all wrong with deleting some things to get a roof to flow better. I do it all the time....to get a better shape or to get the roof to have a better shape. Good thinking on that! You should always leave yourself open to that as you work...which is why you want to do the exteriors before you start messing with placing interior stuff.

Secondly: There is a slight gap on the front roof section as it comes into the wall....kind of like this:

gap.jpg

Yours is not that dramatic...I just wanted to make it very visible on my example. I suspect that is from the tool hitting the door or light in that room. I left those things in so that you might have to remember to delete them before roofing. I would just draw out that roof a little farther so that the edge meets the wall cleanly:

smoothedge.jpg

Other than that, I think you did a fantastic job and have a good grasp of the concept. Now you can mess with it and make it your own. :D

It's funny, I did move the door but didn't think about the light :oops: I'll play around and see what I can do. Thanks again for the lesson and the feedback. :thumbup:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2012
    kc922 wrote:

gap.jpg

smoothedge.jpg

I think I've got it :lol:

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/241/923/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg"width=600" "height=450"[/img]
  • ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited May 2012
    Great lesson, Ruthy!

I have been having problems (must be catching!) with my stupid Internet crashing every two minutes, and so sllllloooooowwww the rest of the time that... well, let's just say that the cussing at your house is likely similar to some language flying around here lately as well!

I have a few questions:

1. You wanted to do porches and Victorians and it looks like we got both of those today, so will there be a third lesson? Either way is entirely up to you!
    2. We have our final exam (and you really wanted us to have a challenge, didn't you?) and I wanted to know if you wanted to answer questions on that, maybe instead of a formal class? Again, whatever you want is great.

I just want to know if I need to set up registration for a third class or if we need to let students know that they can post their final exam questions and results for your help and critique.

Thanks so much for doing this for us! I learned a lot and I know others have as well!

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    Quick question regarding the final exam... Is it just the roof we're doing or do you want us to do the full house, ie furnish, decorate and landscape?

Looks challenging for sure, :shock: thanks!
    edited May 2012
    kc922 wrote:
    Quick question regarding the final exam... Is it just the roof we're doing or do you want us to do the full house, ie furnish, decorate and landscape?

I'm pretty sure the final is just the roofing BUT I wouldn't waste a gorgeous Victorian shell from Ruthy! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • dachshundsr4medachshundsr4me Posts: 208 Member
    edited May 2012
    register me

Thanks
  • MCarringtonMCarrington Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    I tried to respond earlier, but I guess it didn't take. Anyway, thanks for posting this lesson on roofs! Ruthless, you do an excellent job explaining difficult stuff. Roofs have always frustrated me. I'm sure I'll have to re-read this a million times in the future so I hope it will be here for a while!
    edited May 2012
    Great lesson, Ruthy!

I have been having problems (must be catching!) with my stupid Internet crashing every two minutes, and so sllllloooooowwww the rest of the time that... well, let's just say that the cussing at your house is likely similar to some language flying around here lately as well!

I have a few questions:

1. You wanted to do porches and Victorians and it looks like we got both of those today, so will there be a third lesson? Either way is entirely up to you!
    2. We have our final exam (and you really wanted us to have a challenge, didn't you?) and I wanted to know if you wanted to answer questions on that, maybe instead of a formal class? Again, whatever you want is great.

I just want to know if I need to set up registration for a third class or if we need to let students know that they can post their final exam questions and results for your help and critique.

Thanks so much for doing this for us! I learned a lot and I know others have as well!

Zoo

Zoo,

I was not planning on doing a third formal "class" per se. Next weekend my daughter comes home from Uni ( she hasnt been home since Christmas) and I am so excited and looking forward to seeing her and NOT being on the computer much....or at least not enough to set aside a specific time. :)

So...what I would like to do is just offer up the thread as an on-going Q and A session. Anyone who finds it can ask ask as they go along and I will pop in and answer questions and post pix for examples and such. That way anyone who finds the thread can work at own pace and still get the info...and the questions are great because they probably cover things other people are wondering too.

How does that sound? :D
    edited May 2012
    kc922 wrote:

It is up to you. I offered it up empty so that if you wanted to....once you worked out the roofing...you could go ahead and decorate it and finish it out and have a completed house to add to your 'hood. A "trophy" for your roofing skills :D If you dont feel like trimming it all the way out...you dont have to. :D
  • Marlaina1994Marlaina1994 Posts: 234
    edited May 2012
    I just found this thread. I would like to register for lesson 2 but have not begun lesson 1. Should I register now or wait until I have completed lesson 1?

You can sign up any time :D The lesson 2 is going to be a bit more complicated than lesson 1, so yu might want to start with lesson 1 if you feel like you are a beginner. No rush....the lesson is in the thread and the practice lot is in my studio for you to download. You can work through it at your own pace. If you have questions, you can post them here in the thread.

Marlaina1994,

I will be on line Saturday at noon central standard time to take questions in person, but that doesnt mean you have to wait till then to ask. I will be popping in and out of the thread for as long as it takes to answer questions and help anyone who needs it. :)

I will go ahead and register you for the second course. Hopefully you will get the first one done in time that you can attend the second one "live" this Saturday! Welcome to Zoo U!

Zoo

Sorry I missed the class.. :( I have just started lesson 1. I will do my best to complete it and then begin Lesson 2. Thank you for registering me.
    edited May 2012
    kc922 wrote:

It is up to you. I offered it up empty so that if you wanted to....once you worked out the roofing...you could go ahead and decorate it and finish it out and have a completed house to add to your 'hood. A "trophy" for your roofing skills :D If you dont feel like trimming it all the way out...you dont have to. :D

Cool, thanks!
    edited May 2012
    Great lesson, Ruthy!

I have a few questions:

Zoo

Zoo,

I was not planning on doing a third formal "class" per se. Next weekend my daughter comes home from Uni ( she hasnt been home since Christmas) and I am so excited and looking forward to seeing her and NOT being on the computer much....or at least not enough to set aside a specific time. :)

So...what I would like to do is just offer up the thread as an on-going Q and A session. Anyone who finds it can ask ask as they go along and I will pop in and answer questions and post pix for examples and such. That way anyone who finds the thread can work at own pace and still get the info...and the questions are great because they probably cover things other people are wondering too.

How does that sound? :D

Ruthy,

I think a place to ask roofing questions is a GREAT idea! It is one of the most frustrating things in the game for new builders and the single thing that holds most people back from making really good houses.

I will see how I can phrase this idea in the first post so that people realize what is intended. I will also pop by periodically to see if anyone has a roofing question that I can help with.

Thanks again for taking your time and expertise to help others. I know we all really appreciate it! Also, I hope you and your family have fun with your daughter back home. Is she home for the summer?

I don't know about her, but I am SO looking forward to summer vacation from college. Of course, the teachers don't get out the second classes are over (especially not those of us who are in supervisory roles). Graduation was Friday, but I have four days of meetings this week. The really sad thing is three days of those are math meetings which I called, so I can't even complain about them! :D

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    register me

Thanks

Hi, dachshundsr4me! It looks as if we won't be having a third class, so I won't be registering anyone for one. You CAN do the entire roofing class as now all the lessons are up and can be used as an online tutorial PLUS our teacher, ruthless_kk, has agreed to be available on an ongoing basis to answer any roofing questions posted on this thread.

Thanks for your interest in Zoo U and I hope you will bookmark the Master Thread (see post one of this thread) and enjoy the first three Zoo U courses and in addition keep an eye out for the next Zoo U course which should be happening soon.

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    Post your roofing questions here!

Ruthless_kk has generously offered to check this thread periodically to see if there are roofing questions that come up as you build!

She will be trying to help those with roofing problems and it would be really helpful if you had pictures (with as much detail as you can manage) to help in your description of the issue that you are having so that we make sure that the problem is clearly understood.

Also, it would be helpful if you were prepared to upload the lot (on a temporary basis) that you are having the problems with so that the lot can be downloaded if necessary and some actual solutions shown right on the building in question.

I will also try to answer questions as they come up (though I do not pretend any to be any sort of expert, I do have a lot of building experience and I feel pretty comfortable with the roofing tools in the game).

Please realize that any problems you post will be a help to OTHERS and not just to you, so do not be shy!
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    There is a space between the porch gable and the dormer. Is this acceptable?

Screenshot-474.jpg

Screenshot-480.jpg

Screenshot-463.jpg
    edited May 2012

IMAGES

No, you really don't want that. It's an easy fix, though. Just make your roof for the porch a little wider so that it goes into the main roof.

I like to think about roofing as if it were for a real house. If there was a gap between the porch roof and the main house roof, what would happen?

Maybe a lot of leaks and rain on your head as you tried to get into your house and DEFINITELY a lot of rotten wood as rain pooled in that gap and soaked into the siding that backs the porch roof and eventually into the roof decking for the porch roof as well.

Ruthy did a great job of talking about how the roof pieces should flow together. First of all that just LOOKS better (and more like a real house), but in addition to that if you think of how a real roof works you see why the roofs in real houses DO flow together.

If you have a house that has two long strips of roof that are side by side and BOTH flow north to south (as opposed to one of them flowing into the other), you would end up with a long valley between the two hills that are the roofs. And in that valley rain would gather and pool and, eventually, ruin your roof in that spot.

From what I can tell from these pictures, this gap is the only problem you have. It looks great!

Zoo

P.S.
    If the game doesn't want to let you extend your porch roof back into the main roof, try taking off your windows in the dormer front wall. You can put them back after you fix your porch roof.

It is a weird thing about building, but not everything can be done in either order. You can extend a roof and then put up windows with no problems, but if you put up the windows first there is often a problem installing the roof.
    oow785m
    edited May 2012

No, you really don't want that. It's an easy fix, though. Just make your roof for the porch a little wider so that it goes into the main roof...

Thanks so much for the quick response. :)
    edited May 2012

No, you really don't want that. It's an easy fix, though. Just make your roof for the porch a little wider so that it goes into the main roof...

Thanks so much for the quick response. :)

No problem and I just hope it helped you! Your roofing is looking good!
    oow785m
    edited May 2012
    Here is a correction of the first roof and my completed barn style house.

Dormerlesson.jpg

barnhouse2.jpg

barnhouse4.jpg

Wasn't sure about this. :?:
    barnhouse1.jpg

Back View
    barnhouse5.jpg

barnhouse6.jpg

farmhouse1.jpg

farmhouse2.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Very nice marlaina...you really thought out of the box there. I love that. As far as the part you were unsure of...you could either lower that roof so it doesnt intersect like it does, or you could try using a different style ( also making sure to adjust the angle to something that doesnt intersect). Either one would work there. :D
    edited May 2012
    Very nice marlaina...you really thought out of the box there. I love that. As far as the part you were unsure of...you could either lower that roof so it doesnt intersect like it does, or you could try using a different style ( also making sure to adjust the angle to something that doesnt intersect). Either one would work there. :D

I agree with Ruthy, Nice Job!
    oow785m
    edited May 2012

I agree with Ruthy, Nice Job!

Thank you.
    edited May 2012
    Here is my mansard. Thank you for your input.

mansard5.jpg

mansard2.jpg

Should I move these dormers?
    mansard4.jpg

mansard1.jpg
    edited May 2012

Thank you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top