Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Guest lecturer: Ruthless_KK! (Roofing Lessons plus Post Your Roof Questions)

Comments

• ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited April 2012
    Thanks EA, for the shout out on your Facebook page for Zoo U!

I really appreciate it so much! The community has been so supportive, up to and including guest professors coming in to share their own expertise, and I really appreciate that as well!
    oow785m
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited April 2012
    I know I am getting started a bit early but it takes a while to load all of these pix and photobucket is being difficult...I will be around for the rest of the morning, so dont be shy about asking a question if you need to. No need to wait until the "official" class time. :D
  • ireneruthyablonireneruthyablon Posts: 555 Member
    edited April 2012
    The lot is now added to my "let's try to build a house" neighborhood. After looking at those houses I am sure that the lessons are going to be very interesting, and informative. In mid January I started a reconstruction project on the Monotone house which is still incomplete since I am having lots of problems with the roof.

Thank you very much, Ruthless__kk, for putting 4 houses on one lot. :D Very convenient. See ya soon.
    edited April 2012
    Ruthy,

I was just coming on the thread to see if we had anyone new register and realized that you are super-efficient and already have stuff up!

This is GREAT stuff! If you were a beginning roofer, this would be invaluable information. I am NOT a beginning roofer and I still learned something from just reading through your lesson.

This is written as if by a master teacher. Coming from me, there is no higher compliment.

By the way, I wrote a thing called "The Ten Commandments of Builders" a while back and one of them is "Ye shall know that Auto-roof is evil." :mrgreen:

I'll be lurking around until the end of class and also working on the hands-on stuff you assigned for us to do.

THANK YOU for doing this! I know it is a lot of work.

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Zoo! I am so happy to help. I remember when I first started building how frustrated I got with roofing and I was too shy to ask anyone how to do some of this stuff...so I just struggled and stuggled on my own. Hopefully something like this will be of use. :D
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Zoo! I am so happy to help. I remember when I first started building how frustrated I got with roofing and I was too shy to ask anyone how to do some of this stuff...so I just struggled and stuggled on my own. Hopefully something like this will be of use. :D

Absolutely, it will be of use! You've covered a lot of the really frustrating things about the roofing tools that most of us had to learn by ourselves on the mean streets of Sunset Valley. :D

I think the frustration of the trial-and-error that roofing requires if you have to learn it with no teacher is what puts a lot of folks off building. The great thing with this class to is that if someone DOES have questions, even later on, they now have a place to post them so that they can get some help and advice.

This lesson was great. It was a really good length, too. We had plenty to do and lots to practice, but we didn't get information overload. I especially like how you showed how roofing should be used as a design feature, not just a way to keep out the rain (assuming we get weather someday).

I'm looking forward to the rest of the lessons. Please just let me know the date and time when you would like lesson 2 and I will make sure the thread is updated right after today's class ends.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • kc922kc922 Posts: 186 Member
    edited April 2012
    Ok! Now that we are all warmed up...let's try something a little more complicated.

Find this house in the practice lot:

Screenshot-115.jpg

It is not as complicated as the example I just demonstrated but I want you to practice bringing a bunch of different shapes together. Follow the same steps and remember to look for unfinished edges and for the overall shape. I also want you to consider the style of the house. Sharply peaked gables worked on that yellow house because that was a cottage. Will that work on this house? It as a different feel entirely. How will you accomodate that? Work around the house and see whay you can do. Ask me if you hit a rough spot.

This is what I came up with, what do you think? I'm not particularly fond of the fencing color but...

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/911/855/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/913/855/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/915/855/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/917/855/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

I enjoyed the class, thanks! :thumbup:
    edited April 2012
    kc922,

Thanks for posting your pictures! I know Ruthy will be checking the thread later and I know she will give you some feedback when she does. Until then, I think this is an interesting way to do this house and you have lots of nice, and useful, balcony space this way. Good job!

I agree with you on the fence (railing) color. Can you use CAS on it? If not, I would pick one of the fences that will allow it.

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited April 2012
    kc922,

Thanks for posting your pictures! I know Ruthy will be checking the thread later and I know she will give you some feedback when she does. Until then, I think this is an interesting way to do this house and you have lots of nice, and useful, balcony space this way. Good job!

I agree with you on the fence (railing) color. Can you use CAS on it? If not, I would pick one of the fences that will allow it.

Zoo

You can use CAS on it (the one in the pics is one I created for a different build) but I wanted to get the roof done first. Then I'd go back and fix the fence and change the roof color too.

Thanks for the feedback!
    edited April 2012
    HI Kc! That looks great. I agree with Zoo about picking a fencing that can be cas'd. I would also be curious to see what you could come up with if you had no balconies at all and roofed the entire thing. Up for the challenge? :D
    edited April 2012
    HI Kc! That looks great. I agree with Zoo about picking a fencing that can be cas'd. I would also be curious to see what you could come up with if you had no balconies at all and roofed the entire thing. Up for the challenge? :D

Thanks! I'll see what I can do... :lol: I enjoyed your class :thumbup:
  • mwjessica723mwjessica723 Posts: 3,769 Member
    edited April 2012
    Hi Ruthy! Thank you so much for doing this. I'm not terrible with roofing, but definitely BORING with it. I thought your lesson was awesome. I have screenshots of me following along with you, and I have a couple of questions below, too. I would love your feedback on anything I can do to improve! Thanks again, and thank you, Zoo, for this opportunity. :mrgreen: 8)

Roof # 1
    02.jpg

Roof # 2
    03.jpg

Roof # 3
    04.jpg

Roof # 4
    05.jpg

06.jpg

Roof # 5
    07.jpg

Roof # 6 - The mansard roof was really finicky for me; tears kept occurring and I had to remove and replace several times. Is that normal? :lol:
    08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Question: Using the overall roof control to lift the mansard roof resulted in it going a bit high, in my opinion. It looks like yours sit a bit lower while still covering the entire wall. As shown below, my hipped roof covers the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the fencing.... Any tips on how to get a more precise fit, or does everyone have this issue?
    11.jpg

Roof # 7: This was my solution, and I don't know--is it boring? I would love to know how to improve here. Thank you so much!!!
    12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Hi Jess! You did a fantastic job!

1) regarding the mansard and tearing...sometimes that happens...you get the jaggedy bits where the roofs intersect each other at certain points. What works for me (only if I dont have other roofs on the house yet) is to take the all roofs angle and crank it all the way up and then slide it back slowly until it reaches the desired level. For some reason, that seems to make the tears blend together..moving them as one. Does that make sense? I dont know why it works exactly, but it just does.

2)This ties in to the first question....getting the top of the mansard as close to the edge of the wall as possible. It is just a matter of using a delicate touch on the tool...and sometimes it is persnickity. Personally, if the edges come up a bit higher, I dont think it is an issue. As a positive, it hides dormer roofs a bit better and I dont think you lose much on the fencing...just a little. :-)

3) as to the last one..the spanish house....if you think what you have done is boring, I would look at the shapes and see if you have too many of the same kind of roof. If so, look and see if you can change one of them to a different type. A little variety makes things more interesting. Here is another way to go with that roof:

Screenshot-123.jpg

I just swapped out a couple of the flat front roofs for the peaked gable roof for variety...to mix it up a little.

I hope that helps answer your questions, and if you come up with any more, please let me know. :D
  • mwjessica723mwjessica723 Posts: 3,769 Member
    edited April 2012
    Thank you for the clarifications! It all makes perfect sense to me.

Re: My roofing solution -- YES! What you've done is so much better. I see the three areas you swapped out, and I also see that you lowered the pitch on all roofs. That looks so nice. I think I need to just practice mixing roof types, and stop asking whether or not it's "conventional" and start asking whether or not I think it looks good.

Thanks again, Ruth. I can't wait to see what you'll be teaching us next lesson! :D
  • BobbieDBobbieD Posts: 447 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Thank you, to both Zoo and Ruth. This was a great help to me. I will be taking a look at the other lessons posted. I have been so fustrated in the past at trying to build that I have always just quit. I just finish my first house after finding some of Ruth's other tutorials she did(still need to find a really good landscaping tutorial, lol); and I must say I am pretty proud of it. Without your help, Ruth, I would never had the courage to try again, so thank you. :D
  • vgmusicbookwormvgmusicbookworm Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2012
    seen the lesson, but i won't be able to work on it til tomorrow. (i've got other projects that need to be finished first)
    Everything in the lesson makes sense, hopefully i can apply in game easily enough.
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for this Ruthless KK! I'm always intimidated by barnhouse roofs myself. I do love the Mansard though! One thing that I notice though is that, with mansard roofs that have dormers, you can see the roof through the window, when it's supposed to be hidden! This became a pain in my ar.se in my lot, maison du bourbon. Is there any way to prevent this. :?
    edited April 2012
    niac1234 wrote:
    Thanks for this Ruthless KK! I'm always intimidated by barnhouse roofs myself. I do love the Mansard though! One thing that I notice though is that, with mansard roofs that have dormers, you can see the roof through the window, when it's supposed to be hidden! This became a pain in my ar.se in my lot, maison du bourbon. Is there any way to prevent this. :?

I know what you mean! That drives me nuts too! The only way I have ever found to miminize seeing the roof is if the dormer comes out at least a couple squares from where the roof is.....which can be doen on some other styles but doesnt really work on the mansard. On the mansard, the dormers are very close to the roofline...and the roof does show through a bit.

What we need is a one square window like the closed shutter window ( that is two squares wide). Until then, I think we have to just live with the roof being somewhat visible behind the windows.
    edited April 2012
    BobbieD wrote:
    Thank you, to both Zoo and Ruth. This was a great help to me. I will be taking a look at the other lessons posted. I have been so fustrated in the past at trying to build that I have always just quit. I just finish my first house after finding some of Ruth's other tutorials she did(still need to find a really good landscaping tutorial, lol); and I must say I am pretty proud of it. Without your help, Ruth, I would never had the courage to try again, so thank you. :D

You just made my day! :D I am so happy to hear that you are trying to build and not giving up! :D:D:D
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited April 2012
    niac1234 wrote:

I know what you mean! That drives me nuts too! The only way I have ever found to miminize seeing the roof is if the dormer comes out at least a couple squares from where the roof is.....which can be doen on some other styles but doesnt really work on the mansard. On the mansard, the dormers are very close to the roofline...and the roof does show through a bit.

What we need is a one square window like the closed shutter window ( that is two squares wide). Until then, I think we have to just live with the roof being somewhat visible behind the windows.

That's unfortunate. Well whatever. I've been wanting to build a Small French Chateau with Mansard roofs, I even have it drawn out. :XD: I'm just waiting for my computer to be fixed!
    edited April 2012
    kc922 wrote:

Thanks! I'll see what I can do... :lol: I enjoyed your class :thumbup:
    As Barney Stinson would say "challenge...accepted" :lol:

Ok, first shot is with the fencing CAS'd...
    [img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/626/868/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Not sure what happened with the shading - I didn't change the wall colors...
    [img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/614/868/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/632/868/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Here's the house with dormers.
    [img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/620/868/011/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Thanks again :-)
    edited April 2012
    Kc922,

Your roofing is looking awesome! The "shading" thing is a lighting error that the game sometimes gets when you are building.

Try deleting one wall that had that super-dark shading and using the "undo" button. Sometimes that fixes everything. If not try using one of the lights from buyDebug (sometimes you don't even have to leave the light there, just lighting up the area fixes the error).

Good luck!

Zoo
    oow785m
    edited April 2012
    I am so glad to see so many of you getting good use out of Ruthy's class! I know I learned a lot myself and I thought she wrote her lesson beautifully, very easy to follow and understand.

Thanks again, Ruthy! MWAH!!
    oow785m
    edited April 2012
    I'm now registering people for Lesson 2, come join us!
    oow785m
    edited April 2012
    Kc922,

Your roofing is looking awesome! The "shading" thing is a lighting error that the game sometimes gets when you are building.

Try deleting one wall that had that super-dark shading and using the "undo" button. Sometimes that fixes everything. If not try using one of the lights from buyDebug (sometimes you don't even have to leave the light there, just lighting up the area fixes the error).

Good luck!

Zoo

Thanks so much :oops:, that's very kind. I'll try both options to fix the shading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top