Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Guest lecturer: Ruthless_KK! (Roofing Lessons plus Post Your Roof Questions)

Comments

• Options
    ireneruthyablonireneruthyablon Posts: 555 Member
    edited May 2012
    I am so positively thrilled to read your reviews of the house. It feels as though, perhaps, the two of you understand me. :D I love using my big wild imagination whenever I find the opportunity. :D

ZooProfessor3 it's great that you were able to see that I was trying to create an eccentric and odd look about the house. I do not like what I call a 'matchiematchie' look where all the patterns, furniture look alike. :( Now it would be great if I could learn how to use other colors for decorating besides yellow, blue and white or black, red and white. Something along the lines of using purple, pink and light blue with a touch of black could be good. It could be a good look for one of the Johnny Depp characters.

Are there any lessons on using patterns that work well with one another? I have seen them on colors?

Before I attempt at another house I will complete the lessons from this thread. That should keep me busy for at least a month.

Thanks again. Irene :D

• Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited May 2012
    I am so positively thrilled to read your reviews of the house. It feels as though, perhaps, the two of you understand me. :D I love using my big wild imagination whenever I find the opportunity. :D

ZooProfessor3 it's great that you were able to see that I was trying to create an eccentric and odd look about the house. I do not like what I call a 'matchiematchie' look where all the patterns, furniture look alike. :( Now it would be great if I could learn how to use other colors for decorating besides yellow, blue and white or black, red and white. Something along the lines of using purple, pink and light blue with a touch of black could be good. It could be a good look for one of the Johnny Depp characters.

Are there any lessons on using patterns that work well with one another? I have seen them on colors?

Before I attempt at another house I will complete the lessons from this thread. That should keep me busy for at least a month.

Thanks again. Irene :D

Actually, Ruthy has a tutorial on design and pattern (it is one of many EXCELLENT tutorials that are in a sticky thread at the very top of Creative Corner forum). Here is the link to Ruthy's tutorial:

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=137970
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    This is my second house completed for the course. It certainly is balanced!

screenshot_original.jpg"width=640"

The comments that I received yesterday on "The House Formerly Known as Monotone" really boosted my self confidence a great deal. So what do you think about this one?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I LIKE it, Irene! Really excellent job!

I see one tiny roofing issue. Do you see how the roof of your dormer doesn't smoothly fit completely into the main roof? If this were a real house, rain could get in to rot stuff that way. I would fix that, I think you just need to extend it further back by one square. Other than that, it looks great!

P.S.
    You also have a little bit of blank wall under one dormer roof. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I think you may have a roof hole, too, right under the dormer roof. See if you can make your dormer roof one square deeper but one square narrower to see if it fits the dormer and fixes the problems.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Just want to thank you for your opinions of the work I completed for the lessons. I think that's fabulous. :D

Yup, I did notice the blank spot on the dormer after it was already on the Forums. Later today I will fix that, repair the seam on the roof, and continue on the one I started yesterday. The two level house with the porch isn't easy. :? Have any hints?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Since Ruthy made the house, I will leave any hints to her! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Besides having a couple of pictures of the repair work from the last house I have pictures of an additional roofing job.

First the repair work.

This is the new renovation job.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Irene,

Your builds (including roofs) are looking great! I think you fixed your dormer roofs until they are perfect. What is that one little piece of roofing under the dormer (it's on top of the main roof or that is how it looks)? Maybe it's just the picture, but that looks a little funny to me.

Zoo

P.S.
    I looked at it again. I think that one piece needs to be deleted and redrawn so that it flows into the rest of the roof. I think you will have to adjust the height for that piece as well.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hello. :D

Since I got your last message I have been trying to improve the roof on that house without any success. Will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to correct the problem. Is there more than one way to add a roof to all of these houses?

This one I think looks rather boring. The roof job, not the house.

To help with this project I compiled all the tutorials from Ruthless__kk, put them in one file and made a printed copy (41 pages) so that I can refer to it while playing with the houses.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Irene,

Your last house roofs look really good except that I see that very top roof doesn't extend far enough back to be buried inside the other roof. Just try to remember that you shouldn't have two roofs that end on the same level that touch each other but do not flow in together.

I like to think, "If this were my real house, would this roof protect it when it rains?"

You are really doing great, though! I can tell a real improvement in your roofing skills.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Here's pics with repair work to the roof to prevent any damage from a bad rainstorm.

While I was making the repairs to the roof I decided that I would like to see if I am capable of creating others. I'm not convinced if they turned out that well.

And, once again, thank you very much for your encouragement.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Irene,

I think your "repairs" look great and I really like the change you made from the multiple roofs to the one roof with two dormers going into it and the flat roof beside them.

When you have three roofs side by side you get a valley between the sections. In a real roof, water would pool there and rot your roof.

Your changes look more realistic to me than what you started with. I think if it were me I would adjust the individual roof sections over the dormers so that the pitch of those sections is more in harmony with the pitch of the main roof. Does that make sense?

I would also completely redraw the fencing section around the flat roof so that the vertical supports are not haphazardly placed. You want the placement more uniform (or at least that is how I like it).

You are doing awesome, this is a thing that takes a lot of practice and trial and error!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hello Zoo! Thought I should tell you that I will most likely will be working/playing on these roofs for a while. Maybe another 2 or 3 weeks. My goal is to learn how to learn how to create more than one roof for a house. Do you think that the roof could alter the appearance of the house? After I learn the basics I want very much to learn how create that mansard style. And to be able to identify a house that would be suitable for it.

Edit: "Maybe another 2 or 3 weeks" is definitely an exaggeration. I hope that I am not becoming a pest by posting too many houses to be critiqued.

Thanks for the comment on the fence. If you didn't say anything about it I never would have noticed it. At the time I added it I was in a hurry just to finish the whole thing.

I don't think this one looks good. That roof on the second floor looks too tall. Actually I am not crazy about either version of this house.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hi, Irene! You are in no way being a pest! I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. I think Ruthy and I were both waiting on each other so that we didn't crowd each other and neither of us answered. OOPS!

I like the first version of the teal-colored house. I do think the second story roof on just the dormer is a tiny bit too tall, but use the individual roof height thing to fix that.

In the fourth picture of that house you have a hipped roof going into a gabled roof in a way that I (personal opinion) don't care for. It makes a valley between roofs where water would pool and rot the roof if it were real. I like for the roof to flow in in such a way that you don't get that valley. I think you COULD use a hipped roof to do that, just extend it over a bit further so that the slope is hidden inside the roof it is flowing into.

The fifth picture is very cute except I don't like how the roof angles for the dormers seem to be fighting the roof angles for he main roof. If it were mine (again, some of this is personal taste and yours is as good as mine) I would use the individual roof height tool to adjust the dormers to make them more like the main roof in pitch.

In that fifth house, the deck (flat roof area on the second floor) is okay, but why don't you try another version and see if you can do a roof in place of the deck on the second story. If you REALLY want a challenge, get rid of both decks (including the flat roof on the third story) and replace with regular roofing.

I hope I am being SOME help to you, Irene! I'm really trying!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    RosettaSRosettaS Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    hey is it too late to register? i only just found the classes today they look like fun so i wouldent mind joining.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    RosettaS wrote:
    hey is it too late to register? i only just found the classes today they look like fun so i wouldent mind joining.

Hi, RosettaS! There will be some new Zoo U classes coming very soon. I have a visiting professor who was supposed to have his class up by now, so I really do mean soon.

Until then, all the three previous Zoo U courses are available as step-by-step self-paced tutorials. If you go to post one of this thread you will find links to the Zoo U Master Thread (which I would bookmark if I were you and wanted to take "live" classes later). The Master Thread will have links to all the courses.

Thanks for your interest in Zoo U! I think there is going to be a class on tomb building and one on making apartments and one on making modern houses all over the next months!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    "I hope I am being SOME help to you, Irene! I'm really trying!" SOME help! No it's a great deal of help. All those comments you have made are remembered while I am doing the roofing job(s).

Roofs are being put on those houses! There are 3 houses I wanted to show you. As soon as I started this message I noticed that I had pictures of only one of them. And that was remodeled at least 3 times so I need to be sure that I will showing off the latest (which hopefully would be the best) edition. :oops: :roll:

I never would have thought that uploading the pictures would be a pain. :lol: :roll: :oops:

Now I have decided to include one picture out of the 10 from the frequently remodeled house. Don't remember if this is the final edition or not.

screenshot_original.jpg"width=630"

• Options
    edited June 2012
    "I hope I am being SOME help to you, Irene! I'm really trying!" SOME help! No it's a great deal of help. All those comments you have made are remembered while I am doing the roofing job(s).

Roofs are being put on those houses! There are 3 houses I wanted to show you. As soon as I started this message I noticed that I had pictures of only one of them. And that was remodeled at least 3 times so I need to be sure that I will showing off the latest (which hopefully would be the best) edition. :oops: :roll:

I never would have thought that uploading the pictures would be a pain. :lol: :roll: :oops:

Now I have decided to include one picture out of the 10 from the frequently remodeled house. Don't remember if this is the final edition or not.

I'm glad I'm being helpful and you are very kind to say so. I know what you mean about uploading photos. I'm struggling with Photobucket in another window as we speak. It is SO slow today!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hi! Have more pictures. Honestly when I look at them now I am not convinced that the roofs look that great.

As an example on this one take a look at the right side of the house, the roof for the first floor, the left and right sides are not the same. I know that I must have had problems with this area for it to have happened.
    screenshot_original.jpg"width=620"

Forgot to mention that this is a remodeled version of the blue house.

I've got another one (the green house) completed but I got an error code for both pictures. I'll try again.

It is wonderful to know that you are willing to spend your time looking and commenting on these houses.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Here's another one. As you see there are two versions. The difference between the two are the trees and the awnings on some of the windows. The roofs on both are the same.

Version #1

Version #2

[img
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/224/385/012/00/screenshot_original.jpg"width=630"[/img]

Work is progressing quite slowly for the final exam. It's not an easy project.

As of now I can say that I have started learning how add a roof to a house. This is something that will take quite a bit of experience to master. Right now I'm still learning the basics. I don't know enough to actually create/design a Mansard roof with a fancy fence. Or anything decorative. How typical is it for the player to come up with more than one design for a roof? So far I haven't been able create more than 1. I think someone would need to have a bit of experience first.

Have you ever come up with an idea for a roof before the house?

Must run now. Once again I need to purchase veggie matter for dinner.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Irene,

There will always be choices of different roof styles that you might have used instead, personal taste things that I think every builder plays with on each new build. The purpose of this class was to try to get roofing without what anyone would call a MISTAKE.

In your last batch of photos I didn't spot a single thing that I would point to and say "real roofs don't do that". In other words, I didn't see any mistakes!

I thought the roofing on the first house looked really good. The roofing on the second house was fine, but I might have tried a few other things (particulary trying some more of a mix of roofing types and maybe gabled roofing in more than one direction), but in the end it is a fine roof.

Good job!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    bossasaurusrexbossasaurusrex Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    hi, i would like to request assistance.
    i was following an old floor plan i had, but when i finished, i realized that i had no idea what i was going to do about the roof. there's irregular shapes every which way.

here's a couple of pictures:

(the front)
    281ar7s.jpg

(the back)
    2ymx1dl.jpg

(garage side)
    6gzneq.jpg

oh, and please mind the unfinished terrain paint... :)

thank you in advance for any feedback 8)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    bossasaurusrex,

HI! I have tried to think of ways that I might describe possible ways to roof your house, but it is REALLY difficult to do in a decription without any photographs.

How would you feel about this: upload your unroofed lot, post on this thread with the link, I will download it and post pictures of how I might roof it.

You can always delete it out of your studio as soon as I have it downloaded.

In the meanwhile I strongly advise you to try the lessons in this course. Ruthy made some shells to roof for practice that go along with her lessons. I am also going to mention to her about your current project and your issues with it as she might feel able to just decribe what to do without the need of downloading the lot.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited June 2012
    Yep...I agree with Zoo...if you could load up the house to the exchange so it could be put in game, it would be easier to come up with a solution. I would be happy to play around with it and see what I can come up with for you. :D

Looks like everyone is doing a great job with trying these roofing techniques! The important thing to remember is that there is no "right" answer per se. Everyone has things the like and dont like and there are many different ways of handling some of these challenges. I will be happy to post some pix of how I would roof the practice houses if it would be helpful.

• Options
    bossasaurusrexbossasaurusrex Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    hello again~
    i modified the lot since yesterday, but the house itself is still the same.
    i can roof the first story because it's really easy, it's just the second story that's the problem.

but, anyways~ here's the link to the lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5966149

oh, and thank you for helping me out! as well as ruthless~
    i was afraid that i would have to stick the flat roof. i looked through some of the lessons yesterday, before i posted, but i'll actually try it out later today. c:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top