Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Metrotopia: Download Now! *First post updated*

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2011
    I would say to create the world YOU like, and people will either download it or they won't? Simple as that. I do know if I was creating worlds I would most likely strive toward creating the kind of world I usually ended up downloading and that qualified as a keeper. Unless I am just testing a world for somebody, I rarely download finished worlds if they don't meet my criteria - but that said - not all people are like me so it is hard for a creator to try and make EVERYBODY happy - which is why you should make your world the kind of world you would choose to download and keep to play in. If you perfer downloading worlds with just house shells, and decorate them yourself - then that is probably the way you might be best off making your own world. I will tell you I rarely even consider a world with interiors not done, as I don't like trying to figure out what the creators vision was for the house. I would much rather have an empty lot period than a bunch of houses with just their outsides done. But again that is just me. To me it takes even more effort to go around checking all the houses to see if they are finished or not than it would if I looked at the world and saw a bunch of empty lots. I will equally download both types of world - those with finished houses and those with empty lots with just a few finished houses, and ignore those worlds - unless they are extremely unique in my mind - with just the house shells. When I go into a world to actually play it, I want to know right from the start what to expect of the living accommendations. If we could hoover over a house and know whether or not the interior was finished that would be one thing, but we can't. And the way this game works it is actually inconvenient to have to go from house to house to check for finished interiors. But if that is what kind of world YOU prefer to have, then by all means make yours that way - I though for one, would not be interested in even checking it out or wasting my time with such worlds. But that is me, and just me - so don't be offended. It's just the way I am. I want to look at a lot, see a house and know I can put a family right in there without wondering if 5 minutes later the game is going to toss them out because nothing was inside of the house I just assume is finished. As I make most of my own Sims families for new worlds (I don't care much for using the same families over and over, so I make all new) and it often takes me many hours to complete one family I am happy with - believe me I am not a happy camper when I finish filling the town with at least 20 + starter families only to find all of them vanished from the world with in minutes of my clicking the play button. At least on an empty lot you know what to expect. So if you don't like making finished houses, I would prefer no houses at all on the lots myself - but it's your world. I just won't be trying yours out - but I do appreciate you making it known that just the shells are there.

I do have as keepers both worlds with lots of finished houses and worlds with no more than 5 or 6 finished starters with all the other lots empty. I will eagarly try either of those two kind of worlds, but never pick one with just finished shells.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the replies. :)

What I think I'll do is furnish a few more of the houses, then finish everything else and upload a version with a few houses that are just shells. I'll attach a map-type thing showing which houses are complete, which are shells, and which are just unfurnished.
  • Options
    jumpFLYsoarjumpFLYsoar Posts: 64
    edited February 2011
    I can't wait for this world to be realeased. I dont mind a couple of shells but not too many. You could always put the shells on the fourm and ask people to furnish them. You'll get some different styles and the buildings will be done. It's up to you, Either way I'm so excited!
  • Options
    PurpleMelsPurpleMels Posts: 105 New Member
    edited February 2011
    I say do furnish some of them. This way people can add their own touches! Especially if they have Ambitions EP. It'll make the architect career easier.

By the way, the house looks spectacular! Can't wait for more updates :]
  • Options
    BetweenthefogBetweenthefog Posts: 44 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Another suggestion I have, though this is pretty minor and you may have dealt with it already, is to make sure that any ground that's going into the water has a different texture just before it meets the water. After all, grass usually doesn't like to grow underwater! Probably just a touch of either a sand or dirt texture or a rocky texture. Maybe throw in a few rocks, like you did in one picture.

Then again, I can be picky about those things. XD
  • Options
    rediqueredique Posts: 354 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Ok love ur world by the way and I saw that this world was gonna be a town. WHY. Its much better as a city if u dont know how I can find the forum that tells u how so let me know so plz look into turning this into a city it makes the game better.
  • Options
    KimSim1965KimSim1965 Posts: 712 Member
    edited February 2011
    Your WIP world is looking FABULOUS! I have had you bookmarked for a while, and I'm anxiously awaiting Metrotopia. You are doing a great job, and I admire your patience and attention to detail.

Whether it is a town or a city is a tough decision, especially when you have to involve 3rd party programs to make the distinction. I really wish EA would have that as an option BUILT INTO THE GAME. I wouldn't blame you for leaving it as a town. The same is true of your consideration of furnished vs. nonfurnished houses. I usually add my own lots to the worlds I use anyway. Either way, YOU should always create what and how YOU feel comfortable. It's ART! :-)

Great work, and thanks for sharing all your progress with us. You've got everyone drooling over it. It will be spectacular, I'm sure!

Thanks,
    Kim

• Options
    edited February 2011
    redique wrote:
    Ok love ur world by the way and I saw that this world was gonna be a town. WHY. Its much better as a city if u dont know how I can find the forum that tells u how so let me know so plz look into turning this into a city it makes the game better.

I don't really see any real differences though. What would making this a city change, in terms of gameplay?

Also, it seems complicated to turn it into a city.
  • Options
    SpazzAttkSpazzAttk Posts: 876 New Member
    edited February 2011
    From what I understand the only noticable diff as a city over a subburb are the availability of food trucks, and more traffic like taxis. But I mainly am posting to say OMG WOW. Awesome world. I love your style and am sorry I didn't chect this out sooner. Amazing job. Keep up the awesome work!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SpazzAttk wrote:
    From what I understand the only noticable diff as a city over a subburb are the availability of food trucks, and more traffic like taxis. But I mainly am posting to say OMG WOW. Awesome world. I love your style and am sorry I didn't chect this out sooner. Amazing job. Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you. :D

Regarding the whole 'city vs town' thing, I think I'll just keep Metrotopia as a town, as the process of making it a city seems confusing.

There are some food truck spaces in my world from the LN lots, will they function at all if I don't make my world a city?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [quote=alexspoom13 Thank you. :D

Regarding the whole 'city vs town' thing, I think I'll just keep Metrotopia as a town, as the process of making it a city seems confusing.

There are some food truck spaces in my world from the LN lots, will they function at all if I don't make my world a city?[/quote]

I don't think they will spawn in a town regardless of truck spaces. I redid SV, not in CAW just in edit town, and the lots I added likewise had Truck Stops, I never saw one spawn. Maybe I just missed them, but to my knowledge, they only spawn in City.
  • Options
    GEMLOU88GEMLOU88 Posts: 55 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Was wondering if you knew when the world will be finished? Just waiting to play it!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    GEMLOU88 wrote:
    Was wondering if you knew when the world will be finished? Just waiting to play it!

I would say it's about 93% done. :)

I need to finish a few lots, decorate the surrounding hillsides, add spawners and effects and then I think I'll be done! :D

Time-wise, I would say 2-3 weeks, but don't hold me to that. :P
  • Options
    Emrald_SimEmrald_Sim Posts: 628 New Member
    edited February 2011
    [quote=alexspoom13I would say it's about 93% done. :)

I need to finish a few lots, decorate the surrounding hillsides, add spawners and effects and then I think I'll be done! :D

Time-wise, I would say 2-3 weeks, but don't hold me to that. :P[/quote]

Can't wait ot see it.
  • Options
    kandykutekandykute Posts: 961 Member
    edited February 2011
    GREAT! I love the design&Layout. And wow 5Months! You have patience! My Create a World Tool always plays up when I attempt to use it so yeah :D
  • Options
    simcrediblesimcredible Posts: 1,842 Member
    edited February 2011
    Give me thisss! :] I cannot wait!
  • Options
    simsfan95173simsfan95173 Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited February 2011
    What would making this a city change, in terms of gameplay?

It would make the nightclub/bars/lounges into hotspots. (if there is any)
  • Options
    shoni89Pshoni89P Posts: 22
    edited February 2011
    Oh YES please make it a CITY! For all players sake ^^'
    I look forward for your release!
  • Options
    blueeyed32blueeyed32 Posts: 1,469 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Don't worry about turning it into a city if you feel it's too much hard work, and also I wouldn't mind if some lots were shells. That way I could put my own touch on it, your main priority should be finishing all the terrain and scenery to how you want it to be.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I have found the post on MTS about how to make a world into a City, and will give it a go over the next few days. :)

I've furnished two more of the houses so far, and since there are more than one of each that makes 5 more complete homes to live in.

There a 3 starter homes at the moment, all bungalows, all under $18,500. I may build another if I find a suitable space.

There is only one blank lot right now. I want the world to be full as I'm using it in a machinima and besides it's easy to just bulldoze a lot and start from scratch.

There is now a laundromat, which I will reveal in the next update.

Metrotopia is about 93% complete.

I still need to add spawners, finish a few lots, add effects and decorate the surrounding hillsides.

There will be an update in the form of a video by Monday.
  • Options
    simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited February 2011
    alexspoom13, if your world is a suburb you can still make food trucks work- if you place the food truck space as well as the truck itself on your lot then the truck will just stay there, without driving around. So your sims can still buy food from the truck. :)
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427515

If you want to make your world into a city though, the food trucks will drive around and respawn, provided you have more than three truck parking spaces in your world. To make your world a city you just need to import a resource, instructions in this post:
    http://www.modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3389192&postcount=80
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    simsample wrote:
    alexspoom13, if your world is a suburb you can still make food trucks work- if you place the food truck space as well as the truck itself on your lot then the truck will just stay there, without driving around. So your sims can still buy food from the truck. :)

If you want to make your world into a city though, the food trucks will drive around and respawn, provided you have more than three truck parking spaces in your world. To make your world a city you just need to import a resource, instructions in this post:

Thanks, I've bookmarked that second link. :) I'll do that once everything else is finished.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    simsample wrote:

SimSample!! Awesome, these are the same links I've used to turn SV into a "City". They worked well and it wasn't really complicated to do.
    Alexspoom13: This is the way to go, a couple downloads, unzip, import to package, VIOLA, city!
  • Options
    haakolhaakol Posts: 21 New Member
    edited February 2011
    This is amazing work! Can't wait too download it!
    Take your time.. you are doing a very good work! :D
  • Options
    lulzmachinelulzmachine Posts: 45 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Incredible work, Alex. I admire your dedication to perfecting it over such a long period. I've never downloaded a player-created world before, but I think I'll have to make an exception for your Metrotopia. Good luck as you finish the final tweaks!