Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited December 2009
    Httddy7 wrote:
    Simtweek - love the colour scheme you've chosen. It's looking great.

I've moved on to assignment 3 now and started landscaping - something I've never done before, my sims have always lived in functional houses, with a path to the front door if they are lucky! :roll:

I know I need to do more, just not sure what really. Any thoughts/comments on what is there already would be gratefully received.

Screenshot-66.jpg
    Screenshot-65.jpg
    Screenshot-63.jpg
    Screenshot-61.jpg
    Screenshot-60.jpg
    Screenshot-59.jpg

Hi Httddy, your landscaping is looking wonderful so far. You might add some lilies to the pond and maybe raise and lower the terrain in a little hill and valley in the open area. There you can use a difference terrain grass paint sprayed at the top of the hill and down one side to add definition.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:
    well, okay, I can not install my game and get it to run. I've done everything they've told me to do several times over. I've chatted with EA for several hours and they can't help me. My problem is being "escalated" to the higher techs or some such... I followed their instructions explicitly for manually uninstalling Sims 3 and WA... and now, when I install just the base game and patch it, I get the "service initialization error (0x0175dcbb)" when I try to launch with TS3 in the bin file.. or I get "there was an error on start up, please see log..." when I try to run from desktop icon.... I've uninstalled and re installed and again and again again again I keep getting the same message. Not sure what is going on, but I can not get into the game.

MAGICIAN: I must apologize.. I don't think I'll get that "Archeology Digsite" done for T4T... I am SO very sorry!!

Spryte, check out page 50 of the T4T thread. Magic has extended the deadline because of all of the game problems.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi Folks

You're all doing a Great Job.

January will bring a couple of surprises to 101 and it's Builders. We''ll start some Challenges using what we Know. We will learn a Lot more that we don't know , yet!

So keep up the good work folks.

'Keep Learning and Creating'
  • Options
    createxillusionscreatexillusions Posts: 59
    edited December 2009
    Here is my WIP updated with the suggestions I got last night! I did notice while I was uploading the pictures that the flowers around the patio look a little bland, so I'm going to add some different flowers to make it look nicer. I only decorated the kitchen/dining area, so I didn't really do much yet. :b

Front View:
    2ed1ude.jpg

Side View 1... see what I mean about the flowers? Looks like I got a little lazy there:
    10yosi8.jpg

Side View 2:
    34r66nn.png

Back View:
    312k0hz.jpg

Updated Main Floor Layout:
    2hfmnuf.jpg

Kitchen View 1:
    e6qddt.jpg

Kitchen View 2:
    2hs7nz8.jpg

Kitchen View 3:
    1z4he6f.jpg

View from Living Room into Kitchen:
    15gdrtl.jpg

Any suggestions? Other than my laziness with the flowers around the patio, hahah. :b
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2009
    Oh wow, Merry widow! I am so glad it downloaded, no it is not my homework. I felt I was trying to learn too much in too short a time, and I really want to go back to the beginning and try and implement some of what I have learnt. My biggest problem is how to make this computor do what you all do so easily, my computor communication levels are Very Low indeed. So I will continue.... back to the beginning!
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    I just want to say congrats to everyone..I see so many of you have learned to imppove your building,decorating and landscaping skills in such a short time.I have been completely amazed at how so many different interpretations of the same blueprint comes from all of you.it is truly mindboggling.

Simtweek..great new build.

Also in reference to Simtweeks post about the next Homework design,i dont recall if she added this or not,BUt it is a Beach home,so everyone please decorate,and landscape to a beachy theme..I know some are just getting used to a flowery landscape style,so this will give you an oppurtunity to use other vegeatation in your inventories.So just pick a beachside lot and show us what you got.lol

Tweek... i thought this home was also supposed to have a pool with an island in it with a bar..lol
  • Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Just wanted to apologize for not getting my CFE WIP up on the forum.

Figured I'd try getting the interior all straight so I could upload pics of the whole inside in one go. I hate decorating sometimes... I don't have a lot of cc pictures or clutter, etc etc and even if I did I wary what I should use for upload :/ Anyways.. umm.. try to have something up soon.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well I am also having issues with the game or more precisely the launcher.... can't seem to upload my newest house so I have uploaded it and everything else I want to keep over at 4shared and am doing a complete reinstall. I thought I would upload some pics for y'all and give you the link when I can. This is my CFE Tri-level house.

Front View
    fronta.jpg

Ariel view

arialviewa.jpg

Main bath

bathroom2b.jpg

bedroom 1 ...and yes I fixed the window

bedroom2b.jpg

bedroom 2

bedroom3a.jpg

dining room

diningroom.jpg

foyer

foyer.jpg

kitchen

kitchena.jpg

sunken living room

livingroom3.jpg

livingroom2.jpg

looking from raised master into sunken master bath

masterintobath.jpg

***********.jpg

Master bedroom

mastera.jpg

Main level

openarea.jpg

office nook

studynook.jpg

Zen garden

zengarden.jpg

side view

pool.jpg

Jaded

Hi Jaded, I notice that you didn't attempt the garage door Jaded. Your landscaping is really nice. Job well done. In the bathroom I notice that the faucets are not the same. The interiors are very nicely done. I find the dining room walls clash with the kitchen floors a little. I notice you have lovely curtains in the master bedroom, but I don't see too many anywhere else. Overall a great job.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    I just want to say congrats to everyone..I see so many of you have learned to imppove your building,decorating and landscaping skills in such a short time.I have been completely amazed at how so many different interpretations of the same blueprint comes from all of you.it is truly mindboggling.

Simtweek..great new build.

Also in reference to Simtweeks post about the next Homework design,i dont recall if she added this or not,BUt it is a Beach home,so everyone please decorate,and landscape to a beachy theme..I know some are just getting used to a flowery landscape style,so this will give you an oppurtunity to use other vegeatation in your inventories.So just pick a beachside lot and show us what you got.lol

Tweek... i thought this home was also supposed to have a pool with an island in it with a bar..lol

I think we were saving that pool for our next project...I could be wrong. Oh well it was my first time writing something up for the thread, guess I wasn't ready. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Here is my WIP updated with the suggestions I got last night! I did notice while I was uploading the pictures that the flowers around the patio look a little bland, so I'm going to add some different flowers to make it look nicer. I only decorated the kitchen/dining area, so I didn't really do much yet. :b

Front View:
    2ed1ude.jpg

Side View 1... see what I mean about the flowers? Looks like I got a little lazy there:
    10yosi8.jpg

Side View 2:
    34r66nn.png

Back View:
    312k0hz.jpg

Updated Main Floor Layout:
    2hfmnuf.jpg

Kitchen View 1:
    e6qddt.jpg

Kitchen View 2:
    2hs7nz8.jpg

Kitchen View 3:
    1z4he6f.jpg

View from Living Room into Kitchen:
    15gdrtl.jpg

Any suggestions? Other than my laziness with the flowers around the patio, hahah. :b

Your landscaping is coming along nicely. I like the use of terrain paint. I see you have changed the floor plan. I looks much better this way. You kitchen looks lovely. I love that green, however, I would suggest that the vase/s be a different pattern than the counter. Try experimenting with a geometric. Great start.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    Merry - Those walls in question were only painted with the flat paint. The double border didn't look right to me. The colors I chose were from your palette at colourlovers.
  • Options
    Sherry1968Sherry1968 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Okay, I had trouble getting on the forums, then I couldn't upload any pictures here OR on photobucket. WHEW! Here are the temple beach ruins pictures. I don't have WA, so if there are any suggestions regarding landscaping or anything I can use to make it look more like ruins I would welcome them. I have hidden a mysterious gnome, money trees, life plants, and death flower plants on the lot, and stocked the small pond with rare freshwater fish and death fish.

Here's pictures:

n19piv.jpg

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/2nb7g37.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/3538381.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/f25tl2.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/315egrl.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/bi1iix.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/jfcjgn.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sherry1968 wrote:
    Okay, I had trouble getting on the forums, then I couldn't upload any pictures here OR on photobucket. WHEW! Here are the temple beach ruins pictures. I don't have WA, so if there are any suggestions regarding landscaping or anything I can use to make it look more like ruins I would welcome them. I have hidden a mysterious gnome, money trees, life plants, and death flower plants on the lot, and stocked the small pond with rare freshwater fish and death fish.

Here's pictures:

n19piv.jpg

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/2nb7g37.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/3538381.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/f25tl2.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/315egrl.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/bi1iix.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/jfcjgn.jpg "height=375 width=600"[/img]

Very well done Sherry. Looks like Greek ruins. Beautiful.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Merry, that's what I was going for. It means a lot coming from you. :mrgreen: If noone comes up with anything else, I will upload that lot tomorrow.

Also, Magician, I don't know if you're hanging around, but if you want to use anything from my studio you can. I posted a few links on the T4T thread, just in case. I may be able to build another one if the lots I'm working on now are finished. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    createxillusionscreatexillusions Posts: 59
    edited December 2009
    MerryWiddow: Thanks so much!(: I'll experiment with the vase/s (why would that be blocked out?!), and I think I'm going to change the pattern on the curtains, too. The next time I update, I hope the whole house will be finished. My mom and I will be baking cookies tomorrow, so I'm not sure exactly when I'll be finished with the house. I'm excited to see what everyone will think when it's done, though!

Sherry1968: That is so neat! I love it. (:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks, createxillusions. It was fun to build. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009
    Sherry1968 wrote:

Here's pictures:

Sherry,
    I think this turned out great. It is very beautiful.

Lil
  • Options
    Jake110889Jake110889 Posts: 41 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Is it still okay to post here if we recently found this fourm?!

The Assignments look like fun and have given me some inspiration!!
  • Options
    jadedcat1983jadedcat1983 Posts: 401
    edited December 2009

Hi Jaded, I notice that you didn't attempt the garage door Jaded. Your landscaping is really nice. Job well done. In the bathroom I notice that the faucets are not the same. The interiors are very nicely done. I find the dining room walls clash with the kitchen floors a little. I notice you have lovely curtains in the master bedroom, but I don't see too many anywhere else. Overall a great job.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Lol...the garage door was giving me fits.... it just wouldn't center itself even with MOO and disabling the whole snap to grid thing ...it just looked wrong.... so there ;p

oh and the burglar alarms and fire alarms are hidden behind cabinets paintings and flowers.

glad you mostly liked it......lol

Jaded
  • Options
    jadedcat1983jadedcat1983 Posts: 401
    edited December 2009
    Jake110889 wrote:

Jump on in the water's great....lol.

Seriously anyone can jump in at any time. Feel free to explore the "Homework" posted on page one...browse the tutorials ....read the posts etc. And if you see sonmthing someone did and you want top know how feel free to go "How in the world did you do that???" Everyone else does. Magician1 and Merry Widow made this thread for everyone to learn together and you are more then welcome to join in.

Jaded
  • Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Jake110889 wrote:

It is more than ok... Welcome to the forum Jake!

Seeing as you have found the assignments and they have already given you some inspiration, might I suggest going ahead and starting on the first assignment featured in the very first post. I personally think it's well worth it, you work at your own speed and the main part is... Have fun while you learn on your own as well as part of this group :)

Good luck with your builds.

WK

EDIT - see.. That welcoming you got double greeted double suggested to do the assignment by myself and Jaded within seconds of each other. Yes we're very friendly here and in no way, shape or form resemble the Borg.. Or do we?...

We are one and we are many... Your builds will be asSIMilated.. Resistance is futile... And sleep is apparently necessary :/ yup.. I'm off to bed for a bit I think before I am permentantly certifiable :P LOL

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    timmy_wuvstimmy_wuvs Posts: 7
    edited December 2009
    Sherry1968 wrote:
    Timmy_wuvs - I know someone will catch up to you sooner or later. Holidays have us all running around, I think! I can respond more tomorrow when I'm not falling asleep. :wink:

Thanks! I know what you mean, all of my building and reading time is in between nummy candy making for Christmas, working, and trying to talk to people in person so I don't always feel so consumed... I'm patient though and sometimes it'll take me a while to read responses. but thank you for caring! :D
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    :shock: Wow!! I finally managed to get back on here!! I've survived my last marathon work week for a while and now have my mini-vacation.... And, as I was unable to get on the forums for quite a while, I actually managed to accomplish a lot with my decorating! I now have most of the home complete- just the downstairs bath to finish and some touch up and finishing work. I am having a few decorating issues to contend with that I could use some help with. Now, keep in mind that the decor upstairs is geared to the specific family members, their personalities and their story backgrounds.

This is Grandpa Jack & Grandma Mattie's room. Jack is insistant on not much clutter, nothing frilly fancy, and he's a retired lumberjack so he is fond of his trees. Mattie tried to please him when she decorated the room. The current problem with this room is that poor Mattie can not get into the bed on the window side? She just kept stomping her feet and throwing up her hands... I've removed the end table on her side but no help! There is the same amount of space on both sides of the bed so I can't figure out why she won't sleep there? Hmmmm ummm unless she just doesn't want to sleep with Grandpa Jack????
    2dwd9o0.jpg
    zbsea.jpg
    zwdgds.jpg
    2m63m1j.jpg
    11tpqi9.jpg

You might be questioning the choice of lamps... they belonged to Mattie's Mother!!

• Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm trying not have huge long post full of pics, so am breaking it up a little-

Grandpa Jack added a private bathroom when the kids were all at home and he could never get into the bathroom! This is Jack's bathroom- well of course Maddie uses it too- but has instructions not to clutter it up!!
    k51o4n.jpg
    Arrrgh- will have to add other pics of it later!

Son, Tom moved home and has now had to try to consolidate his belongings into one room! His dream is to be a world traveler so his decor reflects that... There is also a war going on again between the kids over lack of space. Tom had to take this room to give all of the girls the one big room!
    23jqpmu.jpg
    313rcsp.jpg
    1zn3iww.jpg
    Helen has already started invading his space again!
    vhcldw.jpg

All of the kids have to share the old bathroom same as when they were kids!
    hty8g4.jpg
    16h4som.jpg
    whfpkh.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is the last room upstairs, the large space that the girls have to share. Christine has mapped out her little space away from Helen and Jeanie...
    rbmaeg.jpg

Helen and Jeanie's side of the room right now...Please excuse the mess, Helen isn't done unpacking yet, and unfortunately can't even get to the other side of the bed!! She is beginning to realize that this is just not going to work out well!
    fz2knt.jpg
    2eyx2qp.jpg

If anyone has suggestions to help Helen out with making this situation work, please let us know!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top