Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited December 2009
    So who is gonna hate me if I turn around and say...

I installed the new patches...
    ... Everything works fine and I've lost nothing. I can go in to game and all is good in the world.

The only issue I am having if anything is getting on the forums occassionally.

Sorry for not being around. Been busy and I'm still working on my cfe home thing slowly. Get there in the end.
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm finally on! Spent ALL DAY trying to get on here! Thank you Mag and everyone else for warning me about the patch, I am ignoring it for now. I can live without CAW until they fix some of these bugs! I will be furious if my game crashes right before Christmas! The good news was I finished my WIP today! Here are the pics:

I'll post the rest in the next post.

Hi Julia, I know Magic would say "Hide that dustbin!" I like the architecture on this one, the landscaping is lovely and the interiors are great.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MerryWiddow: I was gonna put the garbage can somewhere in the garage tomorrow, but I wouldn't even have thought to put the mailbox in a fence post!
    I'll take a look at them in a few and try to plan out what I'm going to do with the landscaping.
    You don't think the patio and/or main floor layout looks awkward? Maybe it's just me because I'm the one building it... P:

Are you using a floor plan for this one? If I was doing it I would make the smaller bedroom larger by 1 square and remove the wall between the living room and kitchen/dining room. Make it open space living. Just a suggestion.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    createxillusionscreatexillusions Posts: 59
    edited December 2009
    MerryWiddow: No floor plan for this one! This morning I was thinking and pictured the outside of the house and really wanted to try and build it. :b
    That sounds good! Tomorrow I'll do that. I was also looking at the front, and I think I should bring out the front door one or two squares to make a little entrance and give it more depth.. it looks a little off to me the way it is now. P:
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009
    Here's the rest of the pics:

30cadxt.jpg

Thanks for the reminder on curtains, Merry, I forgot about those in that room! In the dining room pic, I just realized I took that before I changed the wall in the family room. I have also finished all the lights after I took these, so they match better and light the areas much better. Any comments or suggestions before I go back and make my last changes?

Looks great Julia. Will def rec & dl once its uploaded.

Now come one give it up where did you get this wallpaper? HMMMMMMMM where come on you can tell me. :lol: I love it and would love to have it.

Lil
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey everyone... here is my latest WIP. I only painted the outside and put the windows and outside doors in, so it's really not much yet. While I was uploading the pictures, I realized I didn't paint the patio foundation, so I'll fix that when I start working on it again. I had to stop early because my neck was starting to hurt. :b

Main Floor Top View:
    2rw98qw.jpg
    That's all for now. Tomorrow I'm going to start on landscaping. Any suggestions? I'm not really sure about the main floor layout. Also, does the patio look awkward because it's on the side? I judged my lot size wrong, I think. /: Should I move it to a 30x40 instead? It's 30x30 right now.

createx,
    looking good, but may I suggest a seperate bathroom on the first floor. Right now you only have the one in the master room. So your Sims will either have to go through the bedroom or go upstairs for the needs.

Unless of course I read the floorplan wrong and that isn't a master then never mind. :D

No I don't think the Patio on the side looks awkward.

As for changing lot size it depends on what you have planed for landscaping.

Lil
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:
    Well... so much for the patch! I lost it all! Had to uninstall and re install.. and then it wouldn't allow me re install WA... so had to uninstall and try to re install again... then, it wouldn't load! Now, I have to uninstall and re install again and hope that it'll work... maybe EA should have worked on making the base game playable before releasing a borked EP?? I'm so angry right now it's not even funny! Yes, I did copy the important files, but when I put them back, the game won't play... not sure what's going on.. going to try uninstall and re install again. Then slowly try putting files back in... and, IF the forum is running tomorrow, I'll let you know! I knew I should have ignored this patch!

sprtye,

I'm so sorry about your ordeal, but you aren't alone. I had to unistall and reinstall on Wed. Only I ended up doing a complete manual removel.
    Then yesterday my launcher wouldn't work.

So far today everything seems to work except for the forums.

I wish you luck and please don't pull all your hair out. :lol:

Lil
  • Options
    edited December 2009

WIP Update. This is my Beach Front Garden Tri-Level home

I have the first floor done.

An over view of the floorplan pic was taken at night so you can see the lighting
    overviewatnight.jpg

front porch at night
    frontporchnight.jpg

front porch daytime
    frontporchday.jpg

JJ Ray the Mysterious Mr. Gnome
    mysteriousGnome.jpg

Garage 1. I know the decore in here doesn't really mesh. That was the look I was going for. Like a real garge with a hodge podge of items.
    garage2.jpg

garage 2
    garage.jpg

Kitchen
    kitchen.jpg

Kitchen 2
    kitchen2.jpg

LR is sunken
    LR3.jpg

LR 2
    LR4.jpg

LR 3
    LR.jpg

LR 4
    LR2.jpg

Will continue in another post
  • Options
    createxillusionscreatexillusions Posts: 59
    edited December 2009
    LilSapphire: The bathroom's door will be in the hallway, but I'm going to play around with where the bathroom and smaller bedroom will be when I take down the living room walls like MerryWiddow suggested. P: So the smaller room I think I'm going to make square instead of L-shaped and the bathroom will be next to that somewhere. I think I might add a bathroom in the bigger bedroom, though.. it's usually easier to have more than one bathroom with families, I think.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing with landscaping yet, but it's good to know you don't think the patio looks awkward! I'm feeling much better about that now.

Hahah, thanks! I'll try to keep all my hair in place! :'D
  • Options
    edited December 2009

WIP Update cont.

main level bathroom is a 1/2 bath
    bt.jpg

1/2 bath 2
    bt2.jpg

The Master Suite is a raised room
    master.jpg

master 2
    master4.jpg

master 3
    master2.jpg

master 4 a close up of the wall so you can see the texture
    master3.jpg

master bath I just noticed I forgot the item that goes on the counter. Will take care of that
    mstbt.jpg

master bath 2
    mstbt2.jpg

I made another change to the gazebo. I took out a section of fence around the floor pond for fishing.
    gazebochange.jpg

Not sure about the gazebo change though. Should I put the fence back or leave it the way it is?
    If I leave it should I remove the flowers where the Sim will stand or leave them?

Lil
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2009
    This all prob got lost in the furore of the new patch, but could someone tell me if it downloads correctly?

'Trying again, I think I was too tired to think it through, but I am determined to get this learnt! Anyway if anyone has the time to try it out I would be delighted.

http://www.4shared.com/file/174349682/1152952b/Family_Views.html

I did post interior shots way back on pg 183 or 184, as I said the forums were sooooo slow, but so far I seem to have no game problems.
  • Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited December 2009
    :?Just a quick note to say this is the first time I've been able to get here! Can't even stay long right now and am not sure when I will get time to get back. Had an awful night at work, and am supposed to go back again this afternoon for yet another round! have the weekend off but have to get busy and get things done for the holidays!!

Well, thankfully, my launcher/uploader is working now... it would not work yesterday or last night...Julia, the Woods family is in my studio! The house will have to wait till after the hoildays!
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    OMG! It's letting me type something in the reply!! I'm so excited!!

Julia - Nice job!

MamaPaulo0f5 - I get all exctied when I get caught up too! :) Thanks for the rec's....think I had one in there somewhere....probably took you just as long to do that as it did to read everything.

Wicked - I'm in the same boat as you...installed the patch and CAW and everything works just fine...knock on wood. Sorry Spryte

Lil - Your tri level build is looking good!

Ok so here it is everybody...I didn't get to upload it yet but I want to show you all my newest build. Tell me what you think!

wip10.png

55925220.png

37760134.png

20543541.png

19830482.png

66423352.png

26264919.png

30873142.png
  • Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    Continued Learning for CFE

We thought we could continue our CFE learning with a new lesson.

We are providing you with a floor plan for a new build. It's called “Bermuda” Island Style Elevation. Here is the link: http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/beach-house-plan-6351hd.asp

Build the house as per the plans.

No. 1: The house is to be on stilts.
    No. 2: The stairs on the outside of the house are to be L-shaped.
    No. 3: The stairs on the inside of the house are to be U-shaped.

Please post pictures as you go for others to see your work and give their opinion or if you need help with something.

After you have completed your house continue to decorate with our normal interior design, landscaping, etc. to get the house ready to upload to the exchange.

There are a few stair tutorials that should come in handy, these tutorials can be found below and on the first page of this thread.

Split Level Stair Tutorial by alanmc12.

Creating L-shaped stairs in The Sims 3 by BlackGarden.

Creating U-Shaped Stairs in The Sims 3 by mensure.

Everybody have fun building!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi Yanti,

RedDragon House by Yanti68
    by yanti68

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1695797

I've had a look at your lot. I suggest that you review Naming Your Lot... in the first post on this thread under the heading My Thoughts. If you name your lot in this manner you will give downloaders the ability to find you again if they like your build. It is also like signing your work.

I will start as my Sim arrived. She arrived at night with all the exteriors lights on. I noticed that there was lighting around the house and veranda, but none in the garden areas and on the bridge. You only had the lily lights on the water which looked very nice. Right there beside the entrance to the bridge is the garbage can and the mail box. I usually think of it this way; I only put the garbage can out to the curb on garbage day. The rest of the time it is hidden away. And for the mailbox; I like to blend it into the surroundings.

The interior is beautifully done. I love the colours that you used. My Sim got the 'Decorated' to 'Beautifully Decorated' moodlets while she was there. I couldn't see a burglar alarm in the foyer. I noticed that you didn't CAS the trash compactor. It would look nice the same as other appliances or blended in with the wood of the counters. On the second floor I think it might be a good idea to put a railing around the stairwell. The furniture layout throughout the house was very well done. I just thought that the bedrooms would look good with a rug. The bathrooms were really nicely done, only thing missing was CASing the faucets to match.

The next morning I was able to take a closer look at the landscaping. The area with the square pond and the fountain would be a nice area to add some seating so the Sim can enjoy the outdoors
    I would have loved to have seen you pond go right under the bridge. Maybe in a future build.

Areas like this could use some terrain paint...
    2gy6i69.jpg
    Such as like this. I achieved this by moving the slider over to the right as far as it would go and just holding down the left mouse button until it was covered better. Using the smooth terrain tool will also remove the grey areas. Just a touch is all that is needed.
    aooxnq.jpg

Overall a great build. Just a few suggestions for your next build.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Hi Merry! Thanks a lot for taking a closer look at my lot and for all the very helpful tips! :D It just goes to show I have still a lot to learn! I have to pay more attention to details! I keep forgetting about exterior lighting and frankly I never know where to place the trash can and the mailbox! I know that sounds silly but that is how it is! Also, I completely forgot about using the terrain tool on cerain parts of the garden. Since WA, I am having crashing problems and have to redo things over and over again and that is why maybe I missed those little details! You are right about the pond going under the bridge - that would have made the lot much more attractive!

I am happy to know that you liked the interiors! I did pay special attention to the interiors this time because interior decorating is not my strong point! You are right, I forgot to CAS certain areas inside - like the trash compactor and the faucets for example!

One question though, what did you mean by 'reviewing naming your lot'? Should I have chosen another name or do you mean I shouldn't have put my name (Yanti68) with the name of the lot (which is Red Dragon House)! Actually, I had to upload my lot twice because I got an error the first time and then when I come to visit my page, I see that the Red Dragon lot was already successfully uploaded! Why the error message in the launcher then? Weird! That is why you will find the same lot uploaded under different name - Red Dragon House by Yanti68 & Dragon House by Yanti68!
  • Options
    SunsetValley01SunsetValley01 Posts: 1,193 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Alright, I can finally get on the forums! And my buggy launcher is working eh-eh. Alright, weell I can't stay long but I thought I'd share with all my friends what EA has told me regarding the issue.

Apparently, it is all the PATCH not CAW's fault, and they are working as quickly as possible to fix the problem. Though they're making it RIGHT so we will have to be patient. I think that' probably the best response I've ever gotten so far! I don't care how fast I get it, I just want it to work.

Sincerely Sunny

P.S. My thoughts go out to all of you who ahve lost your games. I've been too scared to actually open it up since my launcher has been saying some pretty weird things.
  • Options
    Httddy7Httddy7 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2009
    Simtweek - love the colour scheme you've chosen. It's looking great.

I've moved on to assignment 3 now and started landscaping - something I've never done before, my sims have always lived in functional houses, with a path to the front door if they are lucky! :roll:

I know I need to do more, just not sure what really. Any thoughts/comments on what is there already would be gratefully received.

Screenshot-66.jpg
    Screenshot-65.jpg
    Screenshot-63.jpg
    Screenshot-61.jpg
    Screenshot-60.jpg
    Screenshot-59.jpg
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    well, okay, I can not install my game and get it to run. I've done everything they've told me to do several times over. I've chatted with EA for several hours and they can't help me. My problem is being "escalated" to the higher techs or some such... I followed their instructions explicitly for manually uninstalling Sims 3 and WA... and now, when I install just the base game and patch it, I get the "service initialization error (0x0175dcbb)" when I try to launch with TS3 in the bin file.. or I get "there was an error on start up, please see log..." when I try to run from desktop icon.... I've uninstalled and re installed and again and again again again I keep getting the same message. Not sure what is going on, but I can not get into the game.

MAGICIAN: I must apologize.. I don't think I'll get that "Archeology Digsite" done for T4T... I am SO very sorry!!
  • Options
    jadedcat1983jadedcat1983 Posts: 401
    edited December 2009
    Well I am also having issues with the game or more precisely the launcher.... can't seem to upload my newest house so I have uploaded it and everything else I want to keep over at 4shared and am doing a complete reinstall. I thought I would upload some pics for y'all and give you the link when I can. This is my CFE Tri-level house.

Front View
    fronta.jpg

Ariel view

arialviewa.jpg

Main bath

bathroom2b.jpg

bedroom 1 ...and yes I fixed the window

bedroom2b.jpg

bedroom 2

bedroom3a.jpg

dining room

diningroom.jpg

foyer

foyer.jpg

kitchen

kitchena.jpg

sunken living room

livingroom3.jpg

livingroom2.jpg

looking from raised master into sunken master bath

masterintobath.jpg

29.jpg

Master bedroom

mastera.jpg

Main level

openarea.jpg

office nook

studynook.jpg

Zen garden

zengarden.jpg

side view

pool.jpg

Jaded

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited December 2009
    Due to Problems with the CAW and The Broken New Patches:

Town for Tessa's Deadline will be Postponed untill Friday the 8th of January 2010.

I don't have a game at all anymore: At least 1 that's working: I can't even open my Game.

I hope this give you all chance to finish your builds.

Thank You

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Here's the rest of the pics:

a0krhl.jpg

Thanks for the reminder on curtains, Merry, I forgot about those in that room! In the dining room pic, I just realized I took that before I changed the wall in the family room. I have also finished all the lights after I took these, so they match better and light the areas much better. Any comments or suggestions before I go back and make my last changes?

It's all looking really good Julia. I see more missing curtains; did you add those too in the gym, nursery and small bedroom? I love the bed with the cushions at the foot on the floor. Don't forget to change the bathroom faucets to match.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    WIP Update. This is my Beach Front Garden Tri-Level home

I have the first floor done.

An over view of the floorplan pic was taken at night so you can see the lighting
    overviewatnight.jpg

front porch at night
    frontporchnight.jpg

front porch daytime
    frontporchday.jpg

JJ Ray the Mysterious Mr. Gnome
    mysteriousGnome.jpg

Garage 1. I know the decore in here doesn't really mesh. That was the look I was going for. Like a real garge with a hodge podge of items.
    garage2.jpg

garage 2
    garage.jpg

Kitchen
    kitchen.jpg

Kitchen 2
    kitchen2.jpg

LR is sunken
    LR3.jpg

LR 2
    LR4.jpg

LR 3
    LR.jpg

LR 4
    LR2.jpg

Will continue in another post

Hi Lil, I would put a burglar alarm outside. I've had a burglar not even go into the house when there are goodies outside. I love your kitchen. That flower wallpaper in the kitchen clashes a little. It would help if you added that colour somewhere else in the kitchen. I think the living room needs a rug. The layout is good. It's looking great so far.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SmokyTopaz wrote:
    This all prob got lost in the furore of the new patch, but could someone tell me if it downloads correctly?

'Trying again, I think I was too tired to think it through, but I am determined to get this learnt! Anyway if anyone has the time to try it out I would be delighted.

http://www.4shared.com/file/174349682/1152952b/Family_Views.html

I did post interior shots way back on pg 183 or 184, as I said the forums were sooooo slow, but so far I seem to have no game problems.

It downloads and installs fine Smoky. I'll take a look and get back to you. Is this your homework? If it is, could you post your palette please?

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    yanti68 wrote:

One question though, what did you mean by 'reviewing naming your lot'? Should I have chosen another name or do you mean I shouldn't have put my name (Yanti68) with the name of the lot (which is Red Dragon House)! Actually, I had to upload my lot twice because I got an error the first time and then when I come to visit my page, I see that the Red Dragon lot was already successfully uploaded! Why the error message in the launcher then? Weird! That is why you will find the same lot uploaded under different name - Red Dragon House by Yanti68 & Dragon House by Yanti68!

Hi Yanti, I meant you should review the section called Naming you lot on page one of this thread. Here is the link.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/450/121128.page#1537165

This is not giving your lot an upload name but ensuring you name and sign your work permanently.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    simtweek wrote:
    OMG! It's letting me type something in the reply!! I'm so excited!!

Julia - Nice job!

MamaPaulo0f5 - I get all exctied when I get caught up too! :) Thanks for the rec's....think I had one in there somewhere....probably took you just as long to do that as it did to read everything.

Wicked - I'm in the same boat as you...installed the patch and CAW and everything works just fine...knock on wood. Sorry Spryte

Lil - Your tri level build is looking good!

Ok so here it is everybody...I didn't get to upload it yet but I want to show you all my newest build. Tell me what you think!

wip10.png

55925220.png

37760134.png

20543541.png

19830482.png

66423352.png

26264919.png

30873142.png

Hi Tweek, is that wall above the windows in the living room unpainted? I ask the same about the upper left wall in the kitchen? Other than those two area you have done a marvelous job. The interior colours look very lovely. The layouts work well.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top