Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm finally on the forums. YAY! I didn't have to install IE. Woo Hoo! Nobody else could get on huh?

timmy_wuvs - Hi! Roof looks good. I'm sure Merry will have a comment about the fireplace...I think most of the builders here delete the brick part of it using MOO. I try to build walls around it so I can paint it (I'm difficult). Looks good to me so far!

jaded - I am happy to hear that they also suggest Firefox. When I told my hubby that he might have to update whatever IE might be in my computer he gave me a look. I think he thinks it's the devil. :twisted:

nam - I get an error when I click on your photobucket link.

phantacy - I see Wicked's tut worked for you. Looks good!

Here is a sneak peek at my newest creation:

wip10.png

You guys think there's too many flowers above the entrance?
  • Options
    SunsetValley01SunsetValley01 Posts: 1,193 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Ugh, I'm having so much trouble with the forums! I can barely access it. AND I can't get to the CAW page, it's just blank... DARN! I was looking forward to using it. Oh wel, and my game won't even open :cry:

Sad, sad Sunny.

• Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009
    phantacy8 wrote:
    thank you so much lil!!!!! do u have any items in your wish list? also accept me as friend i think that might be why i cant see ur wishlist as well. thank you!!!!

Phantacy

yqw there is no need to gift me. I did not write the tut I just gave you a link to one already written. I'm glad it was helpful can't wait to see what you come up with.

Lil
  • Options
    phantacy8phantacy8 Posts: 83 New Member
    edited December 2009
    @simtweek...........i like the flowers! not great at landscaping yet but i found out quock that you can never have too many flowers!

@Lil.........go open your Xmas presents! it was no problem i actually have nothing else to buy at the store at the moment.

@sunsetvalley....i was sooo mad when i was looking for my tut when the site went haywire
  • Options
    magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited December 2009
    phantacy8 wrote:
    hey everyone! :D so far i have 106 dls for my 'test lot'!!!!!............btw has anyone heard from Merry today? hey Magician can you do a walk-through of my house? it would really mean the world to me if i got you guys stamp of approval before i attempt to build a 'real house'! here's the lot and the palette

Test Lot
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1698592

Palette
    http://www.colourlovers.com/paletteImgDetail/1280/592/F0E5DD/D58B7C/95422F/C2DEAA/859479/Ashleigh_Manor.png

Hi there

My game doesn't open at all with the new patches, so I'll ask MW to do a walk thru for you. Is that ok. I can't get my game to even open. Sorry

Good luck
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited December 2009

That's strange :( I clicked it and it worked fine. Does anyone else have this problem too?

Okay, I have decided to upload it and just hope that the things transfer. I will post a link shortly.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi Yanti,

RedDragon House by Yanti68
    by yanti68

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1695797

I've had a look at your lot. I suggest that you review Naming Your Lot... in the first post on this thread under the heading My Thoughts. If you name your lot in this manner you will give downloaders the ability to find you again if they like your build. It is also like signing your work.

I will start as my Sim arrived. She arrived at night with all the exteriors lights on. I noticed that there was lighting around the house and veranda, but none in the garden areas and on the bridge. You only had the lily lights on the water which looked very nice. Right there beside the entrance to the bridge is the garbage can and the mail box. I usually think of it this way; I only put the garbage can out to the curb on garbage day. The rest of the time it is hidden away. And for the mailbox; I like to blend it into the surroundings.

The interior is beautifully done. I love the colours that you used. My Sim got the 'Decorated' to 'Beautifully Decorated' moodlets while she was there. I couldn't see a burglar alarm in the foyer. I noticed that you didn't CAS the trash compactor. It would look nice the same as other appliances or blended in with the wood of the counters. On the second floor I think it might be a good idea to put a railing around the stairwell. The furniture layout throughout the house was very well done. I just thought that the bedrooms would look good with a rug. The bathrooms were really nicely done, only thing missing was CASing the faucets to match.

The next morning I was able to take a closer look at the landscaping. The area with the square pond and the fountain would be a nice area to add some seating so the Sim can enjoy the outdoors
    I would have loved to have seen you pond go right under the bridge. Maybe in a future build.

Areas like this could use some terrain paint...
    2gy6i69.jpg
    Such as like this. I achieved this by moving the slider over to the right as far as it would go and just holding down the left mouse button until it was covered better. Using the smooth terrain tool will also remove the grey areas. Just a touch is all that is needed.
    aooxnq.jpg

Overall a great build. Just a few suggestions for your next build.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hi Phantacy

PHANTACY'S TEST LOT
    by phantacy8

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1698592

I've had a look through your house. I didn't notice a burglar alarm. I couldn't remember what you colour palette was, but the decor is very nicely done. I love the furniture layout. Pablo had the 'Decorated' or higher moodlet except in the dressing room. One thing I had a problem with, there was rotting food on the kitchen counter. Oops! In the bathroom the cabinet is in front of the window and there is no curtain.

Your roof is a great choice. The landscaping is well done. Although not an issue there was no ladder in the pool. I would also suggest adding a few lights in the front garden using MOO. Other than that you exterior lighting was well done. The patio and the gazebo in the back yard are a great addition.

Great job so far. When your satisfied with any changes you might want to make from the above suggestions you can move on to assignment 4.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    nam24601 wrote:

That's strange :( I clicked it and it worked fine. Does anyone else have this problem too?

Okay, I have decided to upload it and just hope that the things transfer. I will post a link shortly.

Nam, I had that problem too. Try checking your privacy settings at Photobucket.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Jungle Mania

nam24601-Jungle lot made for Town for Tessa. Located at 25 Summer Hill Ct. this home is a small cabin with
    a 4 level split. Some of the locals think it was built by bigfoot, but no one seems
    to know any real history about it. Unfortunately, being a cabin within a jungle, there
    is no electricity. Comes to 82,287. Be careful-it's a jungle out there!

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Jungle Mania/Screenshot-32-1.png "height=450""width=600"[/img]

Link to download (Can't get launcher to work, so uploaded to 4shared):
    [url] http://www.4shared.com/file/175288301/562ede07/Jungle_Mania.html
    [/url]

Link to slideshow:http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Jungle%20Mania/?albumview=slideshow or
    [url] http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Jungle Mania/?action=view&current=2b962715.pbw[/url]

Link to thread:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15/140770.page#1723558

*EDIT I seem to be having trouble posting links today. It looks fine here but goes all wonky when I submit :evil:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Buddy: You have recovered nicely. Very beautifully done. I love the bedroom wallpaper. You can move on to the landscaping.

timmy_wuvs: Hello and welcome. Looking like a good start.

Julia: Page 184. Love the living room walls now. I would suggest that you CAS the faucets to match. Have you since put curtains in the kids bedroom? It's looking great.

phantacy
    : You split level is looking good.

Tweek: Looks so cute. I love the pink. The flowers look okay to me.

Finally caught up. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    nam24601 wrote:
    Jungle Mania

nam24601-Jungle lot made for Town for Tessa. Located at 25 Summer Hill Ct. this home is a small cabin with
    a 4 level split. Some of the locals think it was built by bigfoot, but no one seems
    to know any real history about it. Unfortunately, being a cabin within a jungle, there
    is no electricity. Comes to 82,287. Be careful-it's a jungle out there!

[img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Jungle Mania/Screenshot-32-1.png "height=450""width=600"[/img]

Link to download (Can't get launcher to work, so uploaded to 4shared):
    http://www.4shared.com/file/175288301/562ede07/Jungle_Mania.html

Link to slideshow:http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Jungle%20Mania/?albumview=slideshow or
    [url] http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/nam24601/Sims3/Jungle Mania/?action=view&current=2b962715.pbw[/url]

Link to thread:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15/140770.page#1723558

*EDIT I seem to be having trouble posting links today. It looks fine here but goes all wonky when I submit :evil:

Wow Nam, this is awesome. I love you pictures. I watched it 3 times. The 2nd link worked for me. Beautiful landscaping. Magic says to tell you he loves it too. Let us know the link as soon as you can upload to TS3. A definite rec and dl from us when you can.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay! Finally got the launcher to upload my jungle lot! Here is the link to Jungle Mania through the exchange.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1706867

:)

Thanks MW for your praise! It really means a lot to me that you like it! Tell Mag I say thanks too; I especially wanted him to like it since it's for the Town for Tessa. I hope it's something she would have liked.

Okay, I'd better got off my computer now and try to get some of these Christmas presents wrapped before I pick my son up from his dad's tomorrow! Eeek. Goodnight all. I check back in later if I have time.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    nam24601 wrote:
    Okay! Finally got the launcher to upload my jungle lot! Here is the link to Jungle Mania through the exchange.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1706867

:)

Thanks MW for your praise! It really means a lot to me that you like it! Tell Mag I say thanks too; I especially wanted him to like it since it's for the Town for Tessa. I hope it's something she would have liked.

Okay, I'd better got off my computer now and try to get some of these Christmas presents wrapped before I pick my son up from his dad's tomorrow! Eeek. Goodnight all. I check back in later if I have time.

There you go. A download and a recommendation from me.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009

Phantacy Thank You for the gifts. It wasn't neccessary but was very kind, sweet and thoughtful of you. I will enjoy them.

Wow have the last couple days been crazy around here or what. It seems the release of the updates and CAW has turned this place upside down. I have spent the last 5 hrs trying to get on the forums.

Plus my launcher quit working yesterday so I wasn't able to get anything done on my WIP. It seems to be working today so if the forums stay up I'll have some screenshots for you all in a few hours.

Lil
  • Options
    createxillusionscreatexillusions Posts: 59
    edited December 2009
    Hey everyone... here is my latest WIP. I only painted the outside and put the windows and outside doors in, so it's really not much yet. While I was uploading the pictures, I realized I didn't paint the patio foundation, so I'll fix that when I start working on it again. I had to stop early because my neck was starting to hurt. :b

Front View:
    vwyiy8.jpg

Side View 1:
    29wk0mx.jpg

Side View 2:
    2nsqtlf.jpg

Back View:
    300frlf.jpg

Garage Top View:
    amsli.jpg

Main Floor Top View:
    2rw98qw.jpg

Second Floor Top View:
    dh2zh0.jpg

That's all for now. Tomorrow I'm going to start on landscaping. Any suggestions? I'm not really sure about the main floor layout. Also, does the patio look awkward because it's on the side? I judged my lot size wrong, I think. /: Should I move it to a 30x40 instead? It's 30x30 right now.
  • Options
    wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Well... so much for the patch! I lost it all! Had to uninstall and re install.. and then it wouldn't allow me re install WA... so had to uninstall and try to re install again... then, it wouldn't load! Now, I have to uninstall and re install again and hope that it'll work... maybe EA should have worked on making the base game playable before releasing a borked EP?? I'm so angry right now it's not even funny! Yes, I did copy the important files, but when I put them back, the game won't play... not sure what's going on.. going to try uninstall and re install again. Then slowly try putting files back in... and, IF the forum is running tomorrow, I'll let you know! I knew I should have ignored this patch!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wolfspryte: I'm sorry to hear that. ): I agree that they should have cleared up all the issues with the base game before releasing WA, especially because people have been having tons of problems with WA, too. Luckily nothing has happened to my game yet (knock on wood). Earlier today I looked up all of the sims, lots, etc. that I downloaded off the exchange and bookmarked every page because I heard that some people were losing all of the items they installed with the launcher. I hope all the problems get fixed soon. /: It's ridiculous how almost every day someone has major issues with their game.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey everyone... here is my latest WIP. I only painted the outside and put the windows and outside doors in, so it's really not much yet. While I was uploading the pictures, I realized I didn't paint the patio foundation, so I'll fix that when I start working on it again. I had to stop early because my neck was starting to hurt. :b

Front View:
    vwyiy8.jpg

Side View 1:
    29wk0mx.jpg

Side View 2:
    2nsqtlf.jpg

Back View:
    300frlf.jpg

Garage Top View:
    amsli.jpg

Main Floor Top View:
    2rw98qw.jpg

Second Floor Top View:
    dh2zh0.jpg

That's all for now. Tomorrow I'm going to start on landscaping. Any suggestions? I'm not really sure about the main floor layout. Also, does the patio look awkward because it's on the side? I judged my lot size wrong, I think. /: Should I move it to a 30x40 instead? It's 30x30 right now.

Looking good so far. I suggest that you put the garbage can in the garage and work the mailbox into a fence post with MOO. There are a few landscaping tutorials on the first page of this thread that might give you some ideas.

Good luck and have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:
    Well... so much for the patch! I lost it all! Had to uninstall and re install.. and then it wouldn't allow me re install WA... so had to uninstall and try to re install again... then, it wouldn't load! Now, I have to uninstall and re install again and hope that it'll work... maybe EA should have worked on making the base game playable before releasing a borked EP?? I'm so angry right now it's not even funny! Yes, I did copy the important files, but when I put them back, the game won't play... not sure what's going on.. going to try uninstall and re install again. Then slowly try putting files back in... and, IF the forum is running tomorrow, I'll let you know! I knew I should have ignored this patch!

If it makes you feel any better you are not alone. Magic is suffering from the same problem. I hope EA solves this quickly.

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm finally on! Spent ALL DAY trying to get on here! Thank you Mag and everyone else for warning me about the patch, I am ignoring it for now. I can live without CAW until they fix some of these bugs! I will be furious if my game crashes right before Christmas! The good news was I finished my WIP today! Here are the pics:

10zcqv5.jpg
    2rqha2g.jpg
    3590eab.jpg
    24qixzc.jpg
    6jd8bl.jpg
    jfcd9s.jpg
    izyxaf.jpg
    v7e7pk.jpg
    313g5ly.jpg
    hranh1.jpg
    2zqfls6.jpg
    155tq9w.jpg

I'll post the rest in the next post.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MerryWiddow: I was gonna put the garbage can somewhere in the garage tomorrow, but I wouldn't even have thought to put the mailbox in a fence post!
    I'll take a look at them in a few and try to plan out what I'm going to do with the landscaping.
    You don't think the patio and/or main floor layout looks awkward? Maybe it's just me because I'm the one building it... P:
  • Options
    MamaPaulo0f5MamaPaulo0f5 Posts: 94 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Yaaaaaaay, I'm caught up! I think the forums being down yesterday helped, not as much to read LOL!

I went through and I think I got everything that was linked, rec'd.

You all are so awesome, I'm especially loving the commentary on ... I guess it would be called 'color theory'? How to use colors, and what matches and what complements and what doesn't, and I'm sorry I forgot who posted it but the info about using the single HEX color and the pics of how you did that were really helpful. I have a 3 day weekend now, I have one daughter in town with her family for an early Christmas and of course I have stuff to do around the house too, but I am hoping I can do some building, too!

I have to say that even with the "0"-ed out comments where things got a little heated, I am so very impressed with the way everyone here supports each other and how constructive everyone's comments are. Thank you all for your input to everyone else's work, and thank you everyone for sharing your work for constructive criticism so that the rest of us can hopefully take something away from the comments, too!

Keep on Simming, and building, and having fun!
  • Options
    JuliababyjenJuliababyjen Posts: 783 Member
    edited December 2009
    Here's the rest of the pics:

2e2nvb5.jpg
    30cadxt.jpg
    sg4x7a.jpg
    2u97hc9.jpg
    2yv70op.jpg
    15z361t.jpg
    30j7bi9.jpg
    11udyq8.jpg
    qxqtye.jpg
    6yh8vb.jpg
    a0krhl.jpg

Thanks for the reminder on curtains, Merry, I forgot about those in that room! In the dining room pic, I just realized I took that before I changed the wall in the family room. I have also finished all the lights after I took these, so they match better and light the areas much better. Any comments or suggestions before I go back and make my last changes?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Juliababyjen: The only thing I would change is the stairs to match the fence that you used, if you could. Other than that I really like it. (: Also, where did you get the curtains in the bathroom around the bathtubs and in the master bedroom? They're so pretty!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top