Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Brandgenuity Appointed Licensing Agent for ‘The Sims’

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I so agree with @crocobaura about advertising for age 45 & over. There’s a lot of Middle-ager gamers.😉
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Well we've got two new life simulation games on the horizon so hopefully they'll provide the inclusivity some are missing.

You said you are in the target demographic so I don't know why you're so dismissive of others who have different but valid experiences and opinions on the matter.

It hasn't happened to you yet but it will.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member

Why are older generations so desperate for inclusive marketing?

I want to point out that criticism of the branding and marketing strategy does not equate with "desperation" for inclusive marketing.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I feel like people are taking that statement way too seriously. Some of you are making it sound like they haven't been bringing things to the game for ALL ages, and listening to requests from players of ALL ages. At no point did they ever say requested features will be accepted from young players only.
    Simmers have been getting almost everything they've been asking for minus the unpopular wants. But the game is not even finished so more is coming.

I do think marketing could have worded things better but still, it doesn't mean much. Actions speak louder than words and the devs have proved their commitment to simmers of all ages.
    And it's the totally normal thing to do as a business to market to new and younger players. This is not a new never before heard of strategy, and it's definitely not an insult to get super offended about.
    Nor is it the only advertisement in the world to aim at young people because that's how businesses continue to grow.

I can't tell anyone else how to feel of course but I do think these marketing words are being taken too much to heart.
    Oh, and also marketing most likely chose the words which to me is not even a reflection of how the devs feel who actually work on the game themselves and discuss content to bring.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Simmers have been getting almost everything they've been asking for minus the unpopular wants. But the game is not even finished so more is coming.

Cars, pool tables, spiral stairs, heart bed aren't unpopular wants but somehow they lost popularity contest to pronouns and cross-dressing sims.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,875 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    Well we've got two new life simulation games on the horizon so hopefully they'll provide the inclusivity some are missing.

You said you are in the target demographic so I don't know why you're so dismissive of others who have different but valid experiences and opinions on the matter.

It hasn't happened to you yet but it will.

I'm not in the target demographic and haven't been for a while. My two sons are though. 🙂

I'm sorry for sounding dismissive. That's not my intention. I do understand that some older simmers are disappointed that they're not represented and was merely suggesting that Life By You or Paralives might offer that inclusivity they're missing. Now that The Sims won't be the only life simulation offering and simmers will have other options.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »

Cars, pool tables, spiral stairs, heart bed aren't unpopular wants but somehow they lost popularity contest to pronouns and cross-dressing sims.

All of which could still be coming 👀
    We cannot overlook all of the tons of popular requests that were fulfilled and say they don't give players what they want. We just got infants. (The latest of many fulfilled requests)
    I definitely think the broken heart bed was a big hint for the actual thing to come eventually.
    They know how much players want these things so if it's within their power they will bring it. Maybe not as fast as people like but patience is never without reward 😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »

I want to be clear that I personally don’t endorse this sentiment. I’m happy that the Sims franchise has made efforts to be more inclusive and yes, that includes pronouns and unlocking outfits for all sims.

I simultaneously feel the targeted marketing of the Sims 4 is juvenile and disrespects the intelligence and maturity of many in the core base of long-term fans.

Let’s be clear. I don’t need the marketing to directly speak to me. I would rather have a fun and functioning game; I haven’t pressed play on the Sims 4 in about 4 years. But I am a bit disappointed in the marketing and branding team for seemingly taking long-term fans for granted.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2023
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    Does this mean we will get more stuff like the Moschino pack?

I don't think, it's more about any IRL products with "Sims" label same as Marvel, Star Wars and Barbie brands already do.

Maybe "collab" will bring a movie and/or Netflix series like Arcane, Cyberpunk Edgerunner, Witcher, Dragon Age Absolution and Halo.
    Brandgenuity will collaborate with “The Sims” franchise to extend the brand’s reach across various lifestyle categories, such as apparel, accessories, collaborations, collectibles, games and publishing. Its efforts will expand the brand’s online and offline presence, bringing “The Sims” universe to life in various new ways.

“‘The Sims’ is like no other interactive brand – creative, inclusive and mischievous,” says Jay Asher, partner, Brandgenuity. “We’re so excited to bring ‘The Sims’ from URL to IRL, to delight fans with the products they’ve been asking for and to deliver new ways for them to engage with and share the brand.”

15072110.jpg
    the_si10.jpg

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    It's far from collab with Maxis about content for the game.

Personally I would explore licensing for "kit" to let other studios create them because Maxis can't do all the themes by themselves.

No gameplay just items in order to reduce the risk to cause issues.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Brandgenuity will collaborate with “The Sims” franchise to extend the brand’s reach across various lifestyle categories, such as apparel, accessories, collaborations, collectibles, games and publishing. Its efforts will expand the brand’s online and offline presence, bringing “The Sims” universe to life in various new ways.

“‘The Sims’ is like no other interactive brand – creative, inclusive and mischievous,” says Jay Asher, partner, Brandgenuity. “We’re so excited to bring ‘The Sims’ from URL to IRL, to delight fans with the products they’ve been asking for and to deliver new ways for them to engage with and share the brand.”

15072110.jpg
    the_si10.jpg

I cannot help but think how those images demonstrate what corporate thinks simmers find cool (the t-shirts) Vs. what simmers find interesting (the cookbook). If I had to wear a sims related t-shirt, that wouldn't have a llama or plumbob on, but the print of a sim fighting the motherplant while wearing infant carrier. Or, if it has to be something more iconic and less of an inside joke, then four squares similar to the llama shirt, but with the a Goth family portrait from each iteration of the game in each of the squares.

The Goth shirt would probably be a nice middle ground between what the community enjoys and easily recognizeable motivs.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    If EA want to attract Gen Z/Alpha they should be more active on social network (TikTok, Twitter, ...).
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

I want to point out that criticism of the branding and marketing strategy does not equate with "desperation" for inclusive marketing.

Perhaps not, but people seem quite upset about it and express this by giving ultimatums:

“If you don’t include me in the marketing/ branding, I will no longer play this game.”

Is that all it takes?

It's true that marketing doesn’t affect everyone the same way and it's okay to critise it, which i have also done in the past. I won't name names.
    I suppose as someone with a so called “age defying” mindset I find it quite difficult to comprehend why the root of this particular criticism is age related. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I can understand critique aimed at the actual content of the game - I’m an active Sims 4 player and believe me, I'd be able to produce a pretty substantial list of criticisms myself. Yes, I do think that compared to other installments Sims 4 seems a teeny bit too dumbed-down in places. I wish it was a lot more daring actually, that said, I'm pretty surprised by the wild and "violent" content that Werewolves offers, given that folks get so easily triggered by just about anything these days. (Not sure if I already mentioned this, but I get triggered by the mere sight of smart phones).

At the end of the day a lot of our opinions are just based on personal interests. If for some people those interests are defined by age, that’s fair enough.

See this:
    IMG-0250.png

Does this box art look like it’s targeted at “older” or “mature” players? Not to me.

I can completely understand that the original Sims boxart makes many a veteran simmer feel nostalgic, but when you try and look at it without bias, what do you really see?

When I was a young- young adult and noticed this art for the very first time I thought: “ Kids Game.”

It’s rather colorful, we can see a bunch of quirky characters and let's be honest here, that logo looks even more "childish" than the 2023 one. The M's got a cute little roof on top. Just look at that wee chimney. Perfect for younger teens.
    If I didn’t know anything about the game and had to judge it only by its cover I would not buy it. Not back then, not now.

In fact, as someone who’s drawn to beautifully rendered gothic / dark Scifi/ fantasy/ imagery this almost painfully joyful looking Sims box art simply does not resonate with me - at all. I'm not really gone on any Sims related box art to be honest....except, I know something about the game because I did some research (I incidentally discovered Sims 3 in 2013 and the concept of a life sim had me curious) and so I found out that The Sims PC games are very suitable for me, because they allow me to be creative with stories, characters and environments. What's more, many 16+ rated games that make use of the gorgeous, dark fantasy cover artworks and are praised to the heavens by hardcore gamers and the most renowned game reviewers in the entire universe often turn out to be an absolute borefest. At least for me.

*sigh*...I suddenly feel myself growing in love with the ancient Sims boxart...

We're all different and I do agree with many on these forums that it's good for The Sims franchise to be getting some healthy competition soon. Let's see what all these companies are truly made of!
    Yarr 'n all that. ⚔️

PS:
    I would totally wear this if I was a famous Rockstar:

SUL-SUL.jpg

Alas, I am not.

• Options
    edited May 2023

Perhaps not, but people seem quite upset about it and express this by giving ultimatums:

“If you don’t include me in the marketing/ branding, I will no longer play this game.”

Speaking for myself, I'm incapable of making that ultimatum because I already no longer play the game :D

I'm happy with Sims 1-3, fully given up on Sims 4, apprehensive about Sims 5, and frustrated with marketing.

I agree with you that feeling iced out by marketing is insufficient to make me stop playing the game. I stopped playing the Sims 4 for many reasons that I've shared plenty on this forum.
  • Options

I cannot help but think how those images demonstrate what corporate thinks simmers find cool (the t-shirts) Vs. what simmers find interesting (the cookbook).

👏👏👏👏👏
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    edited May 2023

Speaking for myself, I'm incapable of making that ultimatum because I already no longer play the game :D

I'm happy with Sims 1-3, fully given up on Sims 4, apprehensive about Sims 5, and frustrated with marketing.

I agree with you that feeling iced out by marketing is insufficient to make me stop playing the game. I stopped playing the Sims 4 for many reasons that I've shared plenty on this forum.

My interpretation is that's what people are saying. I didn't read any of the comments as being "they don't like me, so I won't buy it." Rather, I read them as "they've made it clear that my interests don't matter for the game they're building, so I'm not likely to buy it."

I'm on record several times as stating that they'll have to fundamentally change the Sims product model for me to jump in a fifth time. At the moment, my TS5 is going to be Paradox' new game. EA/Maxis has a massive amount of work to do for me to continue the series that I started with the base TS1 game when it first came out.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    My interpretation is that's what people are saying. I didn't read any of the comments as being "they don't like me, so I won't buy it."

Not sure who read the comments like that but it certainly wasn’t me. 😁

And before I embark on my next adventure I just want to say that I sincerely hope one day everyone will get the games and T-shirts and fridge magnets and cookbooks they truly want and deserve.

Bless ye all.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2023

I cannot help but think how those images demonstrate what corporate thinks simmers find cool (the t-shirts) Vs. what simmers find interesting (the cookbook).

Some people purchased these products for years, there is nothing new.

goodie10.jpg
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,089 Member
    Will the intro screen be updated to include the new logo?
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

When it comes to Sims 4 I neighter feel appreciated as a customer nor do I have the feeling that I am heard.
    And that has nothing to do with my age.
    EA gives me the feeling they just do the least neccessary.
    I never had this feeling in the other Sims games before. I always was so excited when new stuff was released.
    And I know players of other EA games feel the same. My brother plays fifa and he could rant all day long about how EA messed it up ^^'
    They just don't care because they get away with it and we buy their stuff anway 🤕

@simmerorigin @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    28e554d01f318862432904660a7ae0368fda6100.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨