Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Brandgenuity Appointed Licensing Agent for ‘The Sims’

Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
just read the following on Sims Community -> here
There is also a new Sims logo.
Does this mean we will get more stuff like the Moschino pack?
Or sth else. It's a bit vague.

"Brandgenuity has been appointed to develop a global licensing program for the life-simulation game franchise, “The Sims,” catering to its diverse and engaged Gen Z and millennial fanbase.

With a history spanning 23 years, “The Sims” has generated over 500 million downloads with the latest installment, “The Sims 4,” bringing more than 70 million players worldwide to the game. Furthermore, the franchise is poised for growth with “Project Rene,” a game touted as “The next generation of play,” which is currently in development.

“Simmers have eagerly asked for more – product, content, experiences, and with licensing, we’re excited to deliver to the fans, who are the heart of the brand,” says Julia Victor, head, brand, The Sims.

Brandgenuity will collaborate with “The Sims” franchise to extend the brand’s reach across various lifestyle categories, such as apparel, accessories, collaborations, collectibles, games and publishing. Its efforts will expand the brand’s online and offline presence, bringing “The Sims” universe to life in various new ways.

“‘The Sims’ is like no other interactive brand – creative, inclusive and mischievous,” says Jay Asher, partner, Brandgenuity. “We’re so excited to bring ‘The Sims’ from URL to IRL, to delight fans with the products they’ve been asking for and to deliver new ways for them to engage with and share the brand.”
d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    The new logo looks good, but I would maintain the version number (Sims 5).
  • Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited May 2023
    This is the new logo.
    I wonder where and if we are going to see the freezerbunny ice cream and the cowplant.
    Imo it's neither sims 4 nor project rene style. The rest are all things from sims 4 afaik.

2577fd11731f59ae6eb3f951ea62cc555ea5c899.jpg
    Post edited by Lenny_Ogg on
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited May 2023
    I strongly dislike the topography of this logo. It's so...dated. It's like a Wii game from the early 2010s. I'm very unimpressed.

16ednoh4oevy.png
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    edited May 2023
    This is really a strange collab and I wonder what they have in mind with this.
    They don't do much with games as far as i can see. But everything else. Cosmetics, alcohol and cars for example.
    There is a list of their clients on Brandgenuity's site -> here
    Will we get ingame objects from these brands?
    Uh maybe a BMW or a mini?
    Or it's just consulting like they explain -> here
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Or another cash grab, with ordinary stuff in the regular world now bearing the Sims logo? For a price, of course. Imagine, going to Micky D's and getting a McSim with fries and a Bella Goth shake.
  • RockingBox158RockingBox158 Posts: 9 New Member
    I think the rebranding is silly. How many more times is Sims 4 going to be rebranded?
  • RockingBox158RockingBox158 Posts: 9 New Member
    More stuff no one wants?
    edited May 2023
    Sims news commentary YouTuber and college instructor, SimmerErin, has some thoughts on the rebrand:
    https://youtu.be/O_IPUyy6a9M
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited May 2023
    I'm pretty sure when people are "asking for more" they are asking for more content for their games. I don't understand these brand deals and redesigns if they are not releasing more developed content instead of just kits.

How many more redesigns, brand deals and marketing campaigns will we see instead of actual game development?
  • AalyahReedAalyahReed Posts: 209 Member
    @Catzilla - I'm an OG Sims player, too, and I 100% agree! It's a very dismissive quote.

When they say, "Simmers have eagerly asked for more..." I think they are confused. I haven't personally seen anybody asking for Plumbob apparel, or anything along those lines. The "more" we've been asking for is more bug fixes, and more (working) content.

I think they selectively forget about us OG Simmers, because we remember a legendary time when the game ran without requiring a bunch of bug-fix mods! :s I would really love to reduce my mod folder one of these days. *Sigh*

I've never looked, but I assume that if people truly want real-world Sims 4 stuff, they can probably find it, and support independent artists in the process, on websites like Etsy or Redbubble.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited May 2023
    Gah, the marketing language and endless branding
    what have we been "asking for" this time :sweat_smile:

then again the way they talk about "URL to IRL"
    I am wondering if this means official merch of some kind?

but also yeah I do find it weird and rather off putting how stuck they are repeating
    " we like young people and hope to reach more babies moving forward! "
    with every branding thing ever

like sure I am in the demographic myself (for now I suppose)
    but my goodness the way they shove older players under carpet everytime as if they don't exist
    I'm sure I'll join the under carpets soon enough too 👵

as for the logo yeah I'm not getting good vibes
    but then again I think logos just get sadder and more simplified these days

I was already sad when they bulldozed that house from original The Sims logo it was a vibe

also something about it being bigger vertical than horizontal makes it look weird
    maybe cause meanwhile theres all that vertical space
    there really isn't much anything in it to look at

I feel like it would have made more sense to layer the plumbob with the text in this case
    now its kind of like " picture, description of picture" kinda layout which gives basic n cheap
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    edited May 2023
    I consider myself pretty well-versed within multiple Sims communities - Sims forums, Sims Twitter, the Twitch chat on large streamers, sub-100 viewer Twitch streamers, multi-million follower Youtubers, nano-Youtubers, Sims Reddit, Sims Tumblr, the modding community, vanilla gamers, Gen Z/alpha sims creators, millennial and Gen X creators, female simmers, male simmers, straight simmers, queer streamers, etc.

Honestly, I've never seen any segment of the Sims population say Sims merch is a high priority for them.

This isn't to say no one wants merch, of course. But it's hard to see Sims merch flying off the shelves of your local Walmart like Fortnite.
    edited May 2023
    Simmingal wrote: »

then again the way they talk about "URL to IRL" I am wondering if this means official merch of some kind?

but also yeah I do find it weird and rather off putting how stuck they are repeating " we like young people and hope to reach more babies moving forward! " with every branding thing ever

like sure I am in the demographic myself (for now I suppose) but my goodness the way they shove older players under carpet everytime as if they don't exist

as for the logo yeah I'm not getting good vibes but then again I think logos just get sadder and more simplified these days

I was already sad when they bulldozed that house from original The Sims logo it was a vibe

also something about it being bigger vertical than horizontal makes it look weird

maybe cause meanwhile theres all that vertical space there really isn't much anything in it to look at

I feel like it would have made more sense to layer the plumbob with the text in this case somehow now its kind of like " picture, description of picture" kinda layout which gives basic n cheap

I definitely feel cast aside, undesired, and neglected by the Sims branding and marketing teams. All of the marketing collateral of the Sims 4 era make me feel very old and doesn't resonate with me (I'm only in my late 20s).

It has become decidedly diverse, which is a good change- albeit with some deserved pushback on Rainbow Capitalism and tokenism. But for people who are older, wiser, and more mature, are they still part of the Sims Franchise umbrella...?
    edited May 2023

then again the way they talk about "URL to IRL" I am wondering if this means official merch of some kind?

but also yeah I do find it weird and rather off putting how stuck they are repeating " we like young people and hope to reach more babies moving forward! " with every branding thing ever

like sure I am in the demographic myself (for now I suppose) but my goodness the way they shove older players under carpet everytime as if they don't exist

as for the logo yeah I'm not getting good vibes but then again I think logos just get sadder and more simplified these days

maybe cause meanwhile theres all that vertical space there really isn't much anything in it to look at

I feel like it would have made more sense to layer the plumbob with the text in this case somehow now its kind of like " picture, description of picture" kinda layout which gives basic n cheap

I definitely feel cast aside, undesired, and neglected by the Sims branding and marketing teams. All of the marketing collateral of the Sims 4 era make me feel very old and doesn't resonate with me (I'm only in my late 20s).

It has become decidedly diverse, which is a good change- albeit with some deserved pushback on Rainbow Capitalism and tokenism. But for people who are older, wiser, and more mature, are they still part of the Sims Franchise umbrella...?

I think they want us all to hop under this bad boy while they parade the baby player base for public

FMIkjaIl7G1Bka-jjnJqfXMaGRVqk_LcQJAjvwKJChI.jpg?auto=webp&s=e6c8088e8b59860602d52064dec0cae4c6c0ee42

also all straight men probably have to go under too just for being straight men

also i think i need to specify: Is joke, its 7am my brains a bad joke factory please don't find this offensive internet
  • FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 486 Member
    I also find this statement very dismissive of quite a lot of us on this forum who, like me, don’t fall within their millennial/Gen Z demographic. And a lot of us have been playing the Sims for decades - we’re quite a loyal and committed bunch, with hopefully years of simming still ahead of us. I don’t think we deserve to be overlooked.
    edited May 2023
    @FreddyFox1234 When I read their statements about doing everything to gain new players, I feel the same.
    But they take us for granted. Like you say, we are loyal and we will play anyway, so they don't need to make a fuss to keep us.
    Like, for example, my internet provider. New customers get away much cheaper than me, but I'm too lazy to quit and make a better deal. And they know it.
    Anyway, I hope this fires back at EA when the new competitors release their games (paralives, life by you, after life) 🐙

Plus I don't think many people will proudly wear a Sims t shirt. It's just not cool to play Sims like, let's say, Minecraft is.
    Most start to play Sims as a child and just can't stop 😅 like an addiction. But you are not proud of it.
    And when you meet someone wo is a gamer too: 'oh what do you play?' 'The Sims.' 'Ah ok...' 👀
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited May 2023

It does feel like they are targeting a younger audience. To be fair, that does make sense from a marketing perspective since they are a potential market and we are people who tends to buy their content and that they have already gotten their money from so they don't need to market the game to us.

But it also feels like they are trying to sell the same game that we have played for a long time to a new audience while not focusing on the older audience anymore. And they are often using arguments that the sims have a large player base and a strong history, so they happily mention us when it comes to talking about how large they are but we are clearly not the focus of their marketing.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    I've been playing for 23 years and couldn't care less about the marketing or how many times they rebrand. I know what I like and don't need validation from a team of marketing experts.
    edited May 2023
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    Plus I don't think many people will proudly wear a Sims t shirt. It's just not cool to play Sims like, let's say, Minecraft is.
    Most start to play Sims as a child and just can't stop 😅 like an addiction. But you are not proud of it.
    And when you meet someone wo is a gamer too: 'oh what do you play?' 'The Sims.' 'Ah ok...' 👀

Idk I've always felt its strange theres not much official sims merch
    but true I do think theres many things I wouldn't buy just because its sims stuff :sweat_smile:

small stuff like keychains, magnets, office supplies, mugs or such could be fun though
    maybe some smoll plushies for their new baby demographic too since they started

but please if its new merch let it not just be more things with woohoo written on them
    throw in some grim reapers, freezer bunnies, cowplants, agnes crumplebottom, bonehilda etc.
    Post edited by Simmingal on
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Hmmm….I don’t mind the logo, it’s just that I don’t really like the complete image. It looks like some very random thing randomly exploded in some random auld sky.

Anyway…let’s move on.

Regarding the target audience…here’s my unpopular take on this, coming from a very non - Gen Z person:
    As far as I understand, The Sims has always been about promoting popular brands and trends. That’s just part of the franchise: to lure in the young and gullible, because they can. It’s a life sims for crying out loud. We can be annoyed, but we shouldn’t be surprised.

The franchise has done collabs with so many popular brands, including Diesel & Adidas & IKEA and limited edition Toyota Hybrid cars BEFORE some of these new Z kids were born. Celebrities have lived in the game as NPCs forever- Bon Jovi & Andy Warhol and that lady singer in the candy dresses, gosh what’s her name again? Is it possible that Gen Z doesn’t even know who most of those celebs are? But some of us “oldies” do. Now it’s their turn. Trends come and go.

As someone who couldn’t care less about the latest trends, I never even heard of Mochino in me life until it was released in a stuff pack ( admittedly, not the worst gameplay content) so I’m learning, even though I won’t be buying any overpriced Mochino T shirts anytime soon. Let’s not even mention the Bobble tea. I figured it out eventually. And the only celebrity I recognized that made a cameo in the sims 4 was Millie Bobby Eleven because I watched Stranger Things. Star Wars, that I do know and although there’s plenty to say about JtB, it’s still one of my favorite packs.

I personally despise a lot of current so called ‘trends’ for reasons I won’t get into, but I find it also easy to avoid them, except for the one thing that bothers me the most, which is the phone obsession that is forced onto me as a player. Not cool. It is something I absolutely cannot stand in the game and in real life. I mod that nonsense out, because luckily I still have enough reason to enjoy the rest of the gameplay offered.

At the same time I do recognize that I’m not exactly the target audience either -I can tell by most of the trailers they release and the folks they collaborate with …not my kinda thing…🥴- but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Oh sure, I’ll whinge on about how cringe some of that stuff is, but that’s just me having a laugh and releasing some “tension”.

I’m not easily influenced by advertisements or hot Youtoobers - I’m pretty sure most of us “mature” players have various ways of finding out whether or not new content is or isn’t for us. Younger generations however, don’t often display that kinda patience in general (I’m involved with too many of them); As long as popular media tells them what to like, they will like it and they will often blindly buy into it…which is exactly what any business needs. Twitch Tock says it’s latest trend and “OMG GUYS The Sims just offered that very same awesome latest trendy thing that’s like all over Twitch Tock, OMG let’s do this besties!!”🥹🥹🥹

The majority of these young folks just want to belong…they’re still a little lost as they’re trying to find their place in society. That’s all and that’s ok. Of course I’m going to target them specifically if I’m a clever business man. Why would I care so much about a bunch of dusty, stubborn old Gen X’s and Boomers when there’s literally millions of eager Gen Z’s and Millennials telling me exactly what kind of bait to use in order to catch them.

Of course I will continue to bother Team Maxis with my requests, and even though I don’t often get the content that I truly want, I sometimes do and I can very much enjoy it for what it is, in my own way. My age & ethnicity & sex & sexual orientation has nothing to do with what kinda games I enjoy and I like to think I’m wise enough to decide for myself, regardless of marketing. If I want to play with Lego Friends I will play with Lego Friends! (I don’t want to play with Lego Friends, but if I did, I would.).

Team Maxis can do as much re-branding and set up as many online shops and Sims inspired fast food chains as they please, if the game itself no longer releases quality content that I deem interesting enough for my own gameplay style, I will either do with what I have or play with previous installments. Sure I can be a little sad, but I can also move on.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Amen. To all of that. 👏🏼
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    As far as the logo, I like the lower case, old school style "the Sims", but I really don't like the preschool plumbob design. But in the grand scheme of things, it's just a logo and no big deal. I'll get used to it. It was probably designed simplistically on purpose for ease of use when plastering it onto t-shirts, sippy cups, bedding and car doors in the future.

On that note, I suspect that the global branding partnerships are not only for continuing to expand something they've already done and continue to do, but also to make sure that the entire gaming world sees The Sims everywhere and automatically associates them with the term "life simulation", therefore planting any potential seeds of interest in the genre and lighting up the way to their front door.

Folks, this is what it looks like when new competition starts to loom and a company makes smart use of their financial head start on a previously cornered genre. I suspect EA is starting to sweat just a little bit and are wasting no time in securing their brand and locking in The Sims as a familiar, global household name. They are going to make it as difficult as possible for other simulation games to push through the trends and popularity in order to be noticed. I wouldn't be surprised if EA starts matching news for news every time a competitor makes a buzz.
    #Team Occult
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    That new screenshot looks like everything is floating in the clouds. Signs of Cloud gaming in the future for Sims 5?
    edited May 2023
    Simburian wrote: »
    That new screenshot looks like everything is floating in the clouds. Signs of Cloud gaming in the future for Sims 5?

No silly its obviously because Dragon just flew through the clouds and made hole just where the logo is its obviously hint for Get Torched 😊

I mean the picture does have magical flying animal, pet and creature that eats sims what more does one really need to make fake dragon hints