March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play The Sims 4 for free beginning October 18th 2022

EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
More updates to follow during a special stream, Behind The Sims Summit

We’ve welcomed millions of players to The Sims™ and watched in awe as they unleashed their imaginations, discovered and connected with ideas, experiences and versions of themselves, both in-game and real life. Our community has continued to inspire us with the billions of unique Sims they’ve created, the countless stories they’ve told, and the remarkable builds they've designed.

We’re excited to continue to welcome in more players than ever to create new stories, and explore without boundaries. The Sims has always been about celebrating new ways to play and offers so many possibilities to discover. Beginning on October 18, 2022, The Sims™ 4 base game will be available to all new players to download for free* on PC via EA app or Origin™, Mac® via Origin, Steam®, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One systems.

With The Sims 4 going free to play, our team is more dedicated than ever to developing new and meaningful The Sims 4 experiences for our players and we will continue to develop and release packs, kits and Sims Delivery Express drops into the foreseeable future. We’ll be sharing more about what’s in the works during a special-edition stream, Behind The Sims Summit on October 18, 2022 at 10 am PDT via The Sims YouTube and Twitch channels, also available on demand!

EA Play and EA Play Pro members will receive an upgraded experience when member-only bundles of The Sims 4 go into The Play List on October 18. The Sims 4 EA Play Edition includes The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack, while the EA Play Pro Edition includes both The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack and The Sims 4 Toddler Stuff Pack.

And last but not least, to our longtime Simmers, we want to say thank you – we wouldn’t be where we are without your continued love and support to help make The Sims community what it is. From September 14 through October 17, all players who have purchased The Sims 4 base game will receive the Desert Luxe Kit as a gift**. With the Desert Luxe Kit, Sims can relax in their modern oasis with luxurious indoor and outdoor furniture, inspired by the natural landscape of the Southwestern desert and materials like stone and wood. To redeem the Desert Luxe Kit, simply log into the game and it will be available in the main menu for you to claim.

ws819ig0gtu0.png

We can’t wait to share what else is in store for The Sims 4 in the near future, so be sure to tune into the stream on October 18, sign up on TheSims.com and follow us on social media for more updates!

*Additional content requires separate purchase & all base game updates. Applicable platform account, internet connection, and EA account may be required. Age restrictions apply.

**Conditions & restrictions apply. See https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs/kits/the-sims-4-desert-luxe-kit for details.
  • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
  • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
  • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
  • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member

Thoughts on this change? For all players who already own the base game we're getting the new Desert Luxe Kit for free.

My personal thoughts is I'm not at all surprised, I actually predicted this would happen in this thread here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/959542/sims-4-is-free-for-a-limited-time#latest

I do wonder what this means for the game and the direction it's headed in.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    Well I was a latecomer to sims 4 and got the base game for $5, so I'm not mad about it being free now, 7 years or whatever later. I suspect it may mean Sims 5 is coming sooner than expected? I'm usually wrong though, so take that for what it's worth. :D
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    I also got the base game for $5 a few years ago, so i'm not that mad about it being free. Had a friend that was unsure if they would like the sims and hesitant to get it because of the price. Already messaged them haha. Mostly just happy about the free kit <3
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,519 Member
    I got the base game when it was on sale years ago. No idea how much I paid but it was a lot less than full price. I’m fine with it going free to play. Pulls in new players and keeps things going. I appreciate the free kit, as well. I agree that it was a good will gesture to current players, given the latest issues with packs.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I remember getting the game for like $20 some years back and to that I say,

"The Sims 4 is going to be free? Huh that's nice."

No issue from me over here.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I bought the game when it first came out, but instead of paying 60 for it, I purchased it for 40. I had a $20 coupon from the store for anything I wanted to purchase. When I first heard about them giving the game away for free, my thought was I really hope that they have a gift for the rest of us who already own that and other packs belonging to it. Then I found out we were getting something free, I was very happy.

I told my former daughter-in-law about this. She was really excited about this because her ex (my son) is the one who owns it. So now she will once again get to play it.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    Part of me feels that it's not a big thing but I want to believe that we might see some bigger changes because of this new summit that they are going to have next month.

After all, they are giving up the revenue they would get from people buying the full game, so surely that must mean that they are counting on making it back on people buying DLC? So I wonder if we might see some changes when it comes to their live service.

I'm hoping this will actually result in that they will put in more resources into supporting the game, less bugs, packs will have more or better content because now they actually have to be good, or they won't make any money back.
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    It’s a slap in the face for those that bought the game at release or full price later, especially after they keep making paid pack content free for base game. And if the rumor is true about one of the stuff packs and the country kitchen kit being free soon as well, it’s a further slap in the face. This does nothing and means nothing to loyalists that own everything. If they want to reward loyalty or discreetly apologize for all the bugs and slow or lack of fixes, they should’ve just done a free TS3 ultimate edition.

This does not make me want to run and buy more content, it makes me just want to wait until they start giving things away. Actually it makes me want to be done with EA/Maxis/whoever decides this.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 875 Member
    I got the digital deluxe version of Sims 4 for $7, and I have seen the price drop lower.
    It is actually a diuble-edged sword, though, because most fans spent $40 bucks on an unfinished game, and getting kind of screwed over a few years later. I bought my Sims 4 game in 2018, so it had most things by then.
    Also, with the kits is why charge $5, and then give it away for free? Did they not sell well for them to do that?
    I don't have all the DLC, and haven't gotten anything after werewolves, because I want to see what happens in the future regarding their plans.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2022
    It's been super cheat for ages. And it's a game that's been out for a while.

Anyone who paid for it full price has long since gotten their money's worth.

I'm not into assorted economic 'isms' so I don't get mad when other people get things. Nor the opposite side I don't demand stuff for free or complain because stuff had to be paid for. ;)

I think it's a good move to keep people trying the game out. The real value here for EA is in the DLC, and for the players it's in the Mods, the enjoyment of your sim's stories, the community, and so on. The more people who get in the door on that the better for us.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited September 2022
    It'd be good to see other peeps have the opportunity to play and be a part of the sims community ( i wonder if thats a good thing since many aint acting right with how things are going on some social platforms). Other people acting like its the first time its been free before and having the 'well what about me????' mentality. Get a free pack and its still 'not enough. ' Derp.

I spent 80 plus dollars on the deluxe edition and not even mad about it. Too bad I didnt wait almost a decade to get it for free. My loss🤪

Mostly hoping for better updates and fixes with the game and not worried about the cosmetic stuff.

Anyone that bought the base game at the beginning knew how much of a disaster it was compared to now.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,514 Member
    edited September 2022
    I paid full price 8 years ago and I'm not bothered at all that people can get it for free now. I hope this leads to the game getting a much needed refresh and lots of bugs fixed. I have loads of things I'd love to see added to the game, but more importantly, I want what we already have to work like it should. The wants and fears bug was the tipping point for me. I'm using three mods to prevent that one feature from running amok and to make it more interesting since I can't totally get away from it.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Same as some here, paid over $70 day 1, and I don’t mind. Might snag it on my ps5 now
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    I don't really care if they made the base game free or not. It's been 7 years, I've gotten my money's worth.

The only issue (I guess it's an issue or maybe just a comment?) is that when TS2 was made free, it had been out of production for some time. TS4 is still a very active game. I'm curious about the reasoning behind making an active game free. What's really going on? Is it because they're about to announce TS5? Is it a marketing ploy to draw more people into the game? Is the DLC that lucrative that they can give away the base game hoping that these new players will want more items?

Once again, I have a ton more to say about what happens when these new players encounter the issues we have experienced.... but I'm going to leave it at just being curious about the motivation.
  • Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    I think this MUST mean they are on the verge on releasing Sims 5 very soon and no longer feel any need to worry about profit from sims 4 as, from what I had seen of the Sims 5 graphics; sims 4 will be very much obsolete…

Feels to me, the only logical reason to give up profit on a game… But whatevs. Maybe I will be proven wrong or maybe time will prove me right… We’ll see.
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited September 2022
    Doesn't really bother me.

I keep track of the various packs and expansions on a spreadsheet, and it has the RRP for each one included. There's well over $1300 worth of DLC (in $AUD, so might be cheaper in $USD) so I think that EA will still rake in the cash. Introducing the game to a bunch of new players will give them an incentive to splash out and grab a DLC or two, I think.

*EDIT*
    I just downloaded the Desert Luxe kit, which was offered for free. The Origin app still required CC information though. It's probably a limitation of the payment vendor. *shrug*
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    So glad to see that most of us here on the forums don't seem to mind that others are now able to get it for free. Most people on twitter are outraged that this is happening which I suppose is expected from that crowd, but it is beyond me why. It's the base game which is constantly going on sale for $5 multiple timesa year as it is. It's not like the entire game and all of it's DLC is being given away for free.

I also got the base game on sale for $5, not even for the game itself but as a way to create visuals for my OCs seeing as I'm not artistic and ended up falling in love with it.

That said, I'm hoping that this doesn't mean Sims 5 is coming anytime too soon. There's still a good number of packs/themes I would like to see explored before the game feels complete to me.
  • CarmineCarmine Posts: 84 Member
    I'm not bothered that its free now or anything, but I am mildly (very mildly) insulted at the $5 consolation prize. I paid full price at launch, at least let me choose from any of of the packs I want, EP, GP, SP, or Kit.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    I bought it when it first came out for full price and I don't care at all that they are releasing the base game for free. It has been out a long time, and I have more than gotten my money's worth out of it since then.
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    Ehh, I'm fine with it being on sale, but I don't know how I feel about it being free, to be honest. I'm happy that those of us who did buy the game got something free for it. I don't really understand this move, but I'm hoping that it's a sign of bigger & better things to come, whether that's more DLC or The Sims 5.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    The Sims 4 is one of the most best-selling games in the history of video games and is a much better Sims game compared to the previous iterations. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I don't mind it, just I hope that there won't be any microtransactions or subscriptions
  • christyb2852christyb2852 Posts: 7 New Member
    Have no issues with the Sims 4 base game becoming free as with most games, they usually become freeware, a bonus download with another game (or bundled with all other sims packs like Sims 2 - which was given away for free for a while) or sold very cheaply as a discount.

It provides more attention for the company which allows the game to expand or move on to other game versions of it (Sims 1, 2, 3, 4 etc)..