Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are your house building skills?

catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
The title says it all "How are your house building skills"?

How are your house building skills? 188 votes

Professional Architect Good
5%
EndlessSims3AllearsMasonGamerMarkwilsonOldeseadoggeMDianaSimsColton147147RedShoe7Admiral8Qlexibee 10 votes
Getting Off-the-Ground Construction Company
42%
auroraael14bshag4lvGalacticGaljeepjeepcatalexspoom13Nighteyesbekiblaq797SimburianZorgaSnuffyBuckethaneulmaggiemae8135AnmirlaMagdaleenamildredalienGorandrobyngravesElegantblkchina1NRowe 79 votes
I can do better with legos
7%
rudolphaMi9shaoscarmcruddelanorbretonBoergeAarg61SajahiRoyalTeacupDaniRose2143HopeyStarrChicklet453681TomasGrizzlydogzdinnerVeeDubReisharah 14 votes
I can build a box
25%
crocobauraEvvieSimmerNh6650windweaverBrd709DawnEnigma1SikoahGraceJueJueTheSpotted_Ckeekee53StrangerthankerryemmiebethMariefoxprice83mitchiebanjoMirichaFairy_Happyannaliese39ThisSentenceIsALieDoloresGreyEnkiSchmidt 48 votes
I can put in the pool
1%
sillyangel0906FanPhoriaShanaSPutnam 3 votes
Not good at all
3%
friendlysimmersDarkLady2788Amj1995fiercephoenix91grassharpWispyeBettyNewbie1 7 votes
I gave up on building
5%
Colorist40PlayerSinger2010goodcakebaker62MilutinMujovicSheepilingEricasFreePlayHillyBethGrumpyGlowfishSharoniajennieeffin 10 votes
Building - What's That - I headed to the Gallery
9%
Isb917simgirl1010wylmite1986shygirlEuryphaessacyncieMaggieMarleyDoodlyDoofustrulyoutrageousThriorhaisinKimmerHandelFatTribble23RySBIHavenRosestarrylima 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    I live building and think I'm pretty good but could be better. I'm better at building than interior design. With that, I struggle. Lol
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    I can build a box
    With a reference picture, I can do a pretty good imitation of the exterior - not exact, but you would recognize the place lol.

Freehand, from the "vision" in my head? Can range anywhere from decent to disaster. Landscaping is a nightmare but I think my interior design skills are not too shabby.
  • Options
    With a reference picture, I can do a pretty good imitation of the exterior - not exact, but you would recognize the place lol.

Freehand, from the "vision" in my head? Can range anywhere from decent to disaster. Landscaping is a nightmare but I think my interior design skills are not too shabby.

You know, if you copy someone's homework or test answers, that's called "cheating" so why is copying someone's house from a pic okay? Lol
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

You know, if you copy someone's homework or test answers, that's called "cheating" so why is copying someone's house from a pic okay? Lol

Oh, No! I use free blueprints I find on the internet Yikes !!!!!!!
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    My skills working from nothing are ok. They're definitely getting better. Renovating an existing lot my skills are much better. I love building and wish I could devote more time to it.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I'm improving. I'd like to build some really nice roofs but I'm a long ways from that.

This is the roof of the house I'm building, it's a tiny 32X32 house so it's a box.
    s336MkD.png

XlwRS1b.png
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I actually am a professional architect. I love building in the sims!
  • Options

Oh, No! I use free blueprints I find on the internet Yikes !!!!!!!

*head shake* that's horrible. I hope I have thoroughly shamed you into submission. 😜
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'm a lot better at renovations than building from nothing, but generally I'm satisfied whenever I have as much time as my ridiculously picky buildy self allows for my more practical self to actually do the work. I enjoy building but really don't have as much time for it as I'd like. Most often I build only when I can't find something similar enough to what I want/need at the time in order to renovate it more quickly than I could build from scratch. That's more words than I needed to say that I do like the results of what I do. I'm not so fond of Legos these days, though. Especially stepping barefoot on that one sneaky stray one in the dark. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I'm getting a lot better. I think my problem is knowing where to start. I can Google a house and build that but what does the back look like? or the floorplan? Stuff like that I still struggle with. For now I'm sticking with renovations.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I'm getting a lot better. I think my problem is knowing where to start. I can Google a house and build that but what does the back look like? or the floorplan? Stuff like that I still struggle with. For now I'm sticking with renovations.

Check out the video I think from lilsimsie. It's called something like The Magic Box. I do know that once I watched her video, I was hooked! My houses are all unique, some incredibly awesome but some are just awesome so results may vary.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited July 2022
    I can build a box
    I was lost on what to pick because I absolutely suck at legos and I don't think giving me construction company would be good idea :lol:

I build a lot but I do feel tad box bound still especially with like bigger builds and things that are not residential homes

I think its just that my brain gets upset when things are not completely symmetrical
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2022
    SimplyJen wrote: »

Check out the video I think from lilsimsie. It's called something like The Magic Box. I do know that once I watched her video, I was hooked! My houses are all unique, some incredibly awesome but some are just awesome so results may vary.
    Ty for the tip. :) I have watched those videos before. Getting inspired has always been an issue for me.
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I was lost on what to pick because I absolutely suck at legos and I don't think giving me construction company would be good idea :lol:

I build a lot but I do feel tad box bound still especially with like bigger builds and things that are not residential homes

I think its just that my brain gets upset when things are not completely symmetrical
    Same problem here. :#

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited July 2022
    I can build a box

Oh art is just that it will always be blatant plagiarism of everything you see so you can either own it or not do it

it is your choice to get stuck by rules of society or play your own mash up of the universe and share it with others

ofcourse this gets tricky if you were to make money out of it but well one does not make money out of building houses in sims or challenge original creator in any way so i therefore declare it perfectly fine

also yes i am very much cheater.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    I'm at my best when reusing a build, and I can replicate reference material and follow along with speed builds quite well. When it comes to building completely from scratch, however, I can do it, but it takes a lot of effort, motivation, and a solid idea of what I want. Most of the time I end up with something different from what I'd initially intended.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    DollhouseMakerDollhouseMaker Posts: 9 New Member
    Not expert level, but definitely intermediate level at the least. Im comfortable building. I improve myself a lot.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Every time I think I'm a pro, I learn something and instantly regret a hundred building decisions. But I made Maxis curated on one of my builds, so I'm a little above "better with Lego."
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I do alright. I still have a lot to learn and a lot more to improve upon, but I'm pretty happy with most of my stuff.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »

Oh art is just that it will always be blatant plagiarism of everything you see so you can either own it or not do it

it is your choice to get stuck by rules of society or play your own mash up of the universe and share it with others

ofcourse this gets tricky if you were to make money out of it but well one does not make money out of building houses in sims or challenge original creator in any way so i therefore declare it perfectly fine

also yes i am very much cheater.

Your Honor, I object to this reasoning based on the grounds that I didn't know there was a lawyer present!
  • Options
    EndlessSims3EndlessSims3 Posts: 1,077 Member
    edited July 2022
    Getting better with my lot building with landscaping, I like the 64x64 to build on because I can build a lot of stuff...I have been building since the first Sims 1 came out now can hardly wait for curved walls...Want curved half walls to swimming pools too, let's get a lot more curving stuff for walls too pools...

Example of my dining room

07-07-22-8-19-01-PM.png

Another lot I built
    12-12-21-6-26-57-AM.png

Come and check out all my creations ID is EndlessSims3
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I gave up on building
    I don't build but sometimes I download lots and renovate them to my liking.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    If I build from scratch, I build backwards.

I place down all of the objects in the room that I'd like to have, arranged in the areas and position I want them. Then I decide which room would cohesively "connect" to that room and do the same thing, building the walls, halls, etc around my placed furniture. And I always make my halls at least 2 tiles wide, can't stand these tiny narrow hallways some people put in their houses.

If I don't do it "backwards", then I have a tendency to make GINORMOUS rooms that are ridiculously oversized because when drawing out the walls it looks little, until you start adding furniture. And then there I go having to bring walls in to make the room smaller and messing up my outside landscaping.

I do sometimes use RL floorplans for inspiration and base the sizes as tiles (if a room is 8x10, then in the game I make it 1/2 that, so it would be 4x5).

I'm also pretty particular about what room you enter from the front door. Where I live, every house I've ever been in, you either enter into an entryway or the living room (never the kitchen or dining room!). So I will never D/L a house if the kitchen or dining room are in the front of the house because it's just odd to me because sometimes the rooms are too small to swap out and make the living room in the front, or I need to delete walls or add more room and by the time I've done that I might as well have just built it from scratch.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I'm decent, but I love building on big lots and I constantly tweak my builds. I build very slowly (and don't mind having a few empty rooms in my builds). Building is fun for me and I like adding personal touches to rooms as my Sims get settled in their homes. I can get lazy with exteriors, though.

My next planned project is to get HSY and build a fancy new school.

A living room:
    bIremw0.jpg
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Decent I guess?

I rarely if ever download from the gallery anymore since I've found that I get alot more fun out of using my own builds. I have to be in the right mood to build too. If Im forcing myself to build something out of sheer boredom, then 9 times out of 10 Im building utter poop, keep deleting boxes, get frustrated and do something else. But if Im in the mood to build, and I know what kind of story I want my build to have, and what Im planning on doing with it, then I can lose myself for hours just building and get pretty cranky if Im being interrupted to do something else. Plus it helps alot if there's a new pack around that really gets my attention and gets the creative juices flowing. I remember when Get Famous came out and I built 3 lots from scratch in one day. That almost NEVER happens.

Blueprints and floorplans help out alot when I need to be put in the right direction. I usually try to start from scratch, but when I want to try something new, or am looking for something particular, then Im seeking out some floorplans and maybe even getting ideas from the gallery.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I can build a box
    Actually I can build a decent starter home or small family home. I wouldn't try to do something like rebuild the Copperdale High School from scratch. I would probably download something I like and make small changes for an ambitious project like that.