Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are your house building skills?

Comments

• Options
    mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    I can build a box
    I learned to build in The Sims. Go look at some The Sims builds. I haven't actually advanced since then. :#
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I can build a box
    I can build a square, rectangle, triangle, obtuse triangle, optagon, star shape, towers, spaceships, small mansion, chateau, manors, cottages, villas, small palaces, churches, caves, domes, underground bunkers, sky homes, campgrounds, treehouses, scientist lab homes, etc, etc. :p

I've been at it for almost 8 years & I still only play vanilla on my PC. I'm so looking forward to learning how to build round ball homes, circular palaces & cloud homes. That's all I can think of for the new round walls build modes that's coming up. ;)
  • Options
    PlutohasaheartPlutohasaheart Posts: 25 Member
    Getting Off-the-Ground Construction Company
    I think I'll just say that in Sims 4, I'm pretty decent at it, but not great. I love playing around with split level rooms and houses, but I always feel like my layouts turned out better in Sims 2 than in sims 4.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    Building - What's That - I headed to the Gallery
    I could've answered I can build a box, but even building a box is very challenging to me.
    Gallery is one of my besties in Sims 4.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited July 2022
    I can do better with legos
    I like building, but is not good at it, but its fun :)
    Here are some of my builds I enjoyed most, lots of them are from sims challenges.
    puzzle house
    CaF3o4Y.png

a house based on someone else's type of build
    zgPSeIl.png

a hangout for Sixam
    15vQLXE.png

a lighthouse build before Sulani times
    HUG7hvk.png

a cottage
    xWjH2va.png

spooky house
    Ay9Vtjq.png

My little vet clinic
    qu37R6z.png

Freezerbunny birthday challenge
    hcEk8Us.png
    Just being funny build
    QzARant.png

My cow farm
    LfHIfSf.png

small medical clinic
    3cDM8Y5.png

House with sea pool in Sulani
    Y8cmcGx.png

3x5 tiny house challenge
    jixaHMo.png

Lighthouse with Sulani
    NOUyHtE.png

edit to add my lego LOL
    xKgwQ5v.jpg
    EjsyyiA.jpg
    We are currently renovating, but are planning to build some shelfs for our Lego. It is a family activity :)
    I did the tree and most of the star wars, my son did the motorbikes and back to the future car, my husband did the land drover. My daughter did the nasa ones oh yeah and I did the big excavator

Post edited by mcrudd on
  • Options
    KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    edited July 2022
    So, I like to make Victorians. I keep trying to show picture of my builds, but I don't know how. But they are pretty. I have 2nd Empire and 2 Queen Annes.

• Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I can build a box
    I suck at building but I build so it is comfortable to play on my lots for me, no annoying stuff, no moo.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Once in a while I might try to build or decorate an apartment but 99.9% of the time I get builds off the gallery and mainly from builders I follow. Sometimes I’ll look around for different venues and stuff though or if I want a certain kind of house.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I can build a box
    I can build, but without a source of inspiration most of my houses are big boxes with a porch or a balcony to disguise the boxy shape. I am no architect and I have learnt a lot about build styles while trying to build for the sims.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    I can build a box
    With a reference picture, I can do a pretty good imitation of the exterior - not exact, but you would recognize the place lol.

Freehand, from the "vision" in my head? Can range anywhere from decent to disaster. Landscaping is a nightmare but I think my interior design skills are not too shabby.

You know, if you copy someone's homework or test answers, that's called "cheating" so why is copying someone's house from a pic okay? Lol

Oh, No! I use free blueprints I find on the internet Yikes !!!!!!!

Please share your internet links. I have to see a house or a good picture of a house to be able to build it. Which, I have built a few real houses. I prefer making community lots, arcades, hospitals, parks etc. and sometimes I use other great room and house creations and put them together. Roofs are my biggest problem, and many times it’s just easier to get some great buildings off the gallery and change the insides to my liking. I have to say I love decorating apartments….. I wish we had more towns with them. I love the wall units with Home decorator, I’m glad to see they are putting some into the new high school packs, I hope they are giving us some different designs, snd more colors.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I mean... I can build, but it is so much work and I'm not very good at it and I don't have many ideas and even if I do I most likely wouldn't be able to execute them they way I want, so I rather take the short cut, head to the gallery, spend a lot of time going through the builds, find something great and if needed renovate it even more to my liking :blush: I have learnt some things by looking how others have done them and it's great! I really appreciate all the builders <3
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited July 2022
    I can build a box
    Building my own designs = rubbish
    Recreating other real life houses = excellent.

I recently got told by the owner that my recent re-creation of their house was "eerily accurate"
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I'd like to say I'm decent! My most popular builds are at about 50-150 downloads each, so I guess it counts for something.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I'd say I'm pretty good. I've done some interesting conceptual builds, as well as some nice, more "normal" builds as well. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I'm decent enough.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I can do better with legos
    I can add premade rooms. :)
  • Options
    duriankindduriankind Posts: 62 Member
    I would say I’m a decent builder. I love building and tend to build most of my sims’ homes myself, although I’ll still download from the gallery if I’m feeling lazy and I never tried building my own community lots. And I almost always need some kind of reference pics/floor plans to get me started/inspired, building stuff from my imagination is definitely more difficult. Despite all of this, I’m usually really proud of how my houses come out and with each build I do think I improve a bit. However, I know I’m nowhere near the level of some of the simmers out there, lol. The most downloaded lots I scroll through are always so gorgeous and on a whole different level!
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    check out my gallery page
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    Pffft. I guess I can edit already existing houses but I often manage to screw up even that. Like, let's say I'll expand the rooms. Great. Then I remember I also need to edit the stupid roof and am totally lost with it. Somehow any roof I temper with always ends up looking horrible. (Unless it's like the simplest roof imaginable.)
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I'm no master but I'd like to think I've improved over the years.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,353 Member
    I love to build, and I build a lot. I think I'm pretty good at it, but I see other builders who are spectacular, so I still feel like there is a lot I can learn.

I'm usually building with a purpose, so it runs the full range of simple to complex depending on what it is and what it's needed for. I mostly work from photographs as reference. But sometimes I just start with a box and keep adding on.

This gives a basic idea from simple to complex what kind of stuff I've built from scratch:

Example exteriors:

01-Alchemist-Hideaway.jpg

02-Bunker.jpg

03-Ari-s-house.jpg

01-Temple.jpg

Example interiors:

008-Genkan.jpg

015-Alchemist-Hideaway.jpg

020-Alchemist-hideaway.jpg

010-Cavern-vacation-rental.jpg

08.jpg

I feel like I am most comfortable with the interior decorating, and least comfortable with the landscaping. Building the structures lies somewhere in between for me.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    zucchinionpizzazucchinionpizza Posts: 98 Member
    I can build a box
    Well I only build modern and cape cod houses which are basically fancy boxes. Once i try to do styles with fancy roofing, I can't, everything is clipping everywhere!
    Check out my gallery (ID : zucchinionpizza) for base game builds ♥

• Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I can build a box
    I am so appreciative of the Gallery! I change wallpaper and furniture sometimes but I'm mostly just playing the game. Newcrest is nothing but gallery builds.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I'm getting a lot better. I think my problem is knowing where to start. I can Google a house and build that but what does the back look like? or the floorplan? Stuff like that I still struggle with. For now I'm sticking with renovations.

Check out the video I think from lilsimsie. It's called something like The Magic Box. I do know that once I watched her video, I was hooked! My houses are all unique, some incredibly awesome but some are just awesome so results may vary.

Do you have a link to that video?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited July 2022
    While I'm still working on roofs and landscaping, I can follow a set of plans, not to toot my own horn. I have purchased a few magazines from a Hard Ware big box store and it has scads of professional floorplans, complete with an artist rending front and back of the house. I consider them a challenge. If things don't work out, I will delete the badly placed wall and restart that section again. Sometimes, I go off-script, as it were, and create the second story to better suit my own needs. I tend to play large families. Some of the styles I like are only 3-4 bedrooms, tops. This is also how I learned to cake decorate. I copied cakes from the Wilton Cake Decorating magazines, until I learned enough to make trim decisions on my own.
    F6LmVB5.jpg
    Same house as above, from the 'family room' to the formal living room view
    82xBweg.jpg
    Erik's Lair (Music Room)
    ZSwODUS.jpg

The Jessica Fletcher house, I built from pictures of the Inn used for the front, and still pictures of the sets.
    hbcSGxx.png
    Inside the main floor of the Fletcher house:
    B4T5PAK.jpg

ETA: Never mind that misplaced refrigerator It's merely a new concept. LOL That's what I call an oopsie. LOL
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    While I'm still working on roofs and landscaping, I can follow a set of plans, not to toot my own horn. I have purchased a few magazines from a Hard Ware big box store and it has scads of professional floorplans, complete with an artist rending front and back of the house. I consider them a challenge. If things don't work out, I will delete the badly placed wall and restart that section again. Sometimes, I go off-script, as it were, and create the second story better to suit my own needs. I tend to play large families. Some of the styles I like are only 3-4 bedrooms, tops. This is also how I learned to cake decorate. I copied cakes from the Wilton Cake Decorating magazines, until I learned enough to make trim decisions on my own.
    F6LmVB5.jpg
    Same house as above, from the 'family room' to the formal living room view
    82xBweg.jpg
    Erik's Lair (Music Room)
    ZSwODUS.jpg

The Jessica Fletcher house, I built from pictures of the Inn used for the front, and still pictures of the sets.
    hbcSGxx.png
    Inside the main floor of the Fletcher house:
    B4T5PAK.jpg

Why is the fridge away from the wall next to the table?
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I gave up on building
    I like to build desert appropriate Oasis Springs/Strangerville builds because I lived in New Mexico for almost a decade and I love the style. However for the most part I've given up on building. I have a few builders who I really like and follow and I end up using their builds instead. That being said, the only lots that I still use that are my own are my old desert builds. I should get back to that at least.