Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @PitlordMaggie I feel like "legacy" has become its own genre or a modification to x/y/z genre. Like with being forced to pass the POV torch along or expand the cast in a way that'd be unreadable in traditional fiction. Nothing wrong with how hyper-specific some of these things can be I suppose!

I can see how legacy has become it's own genre, but I disagree that it doesn't have it's traditional counterpart. The Legend of the Ice People follows a people through generations, even though magic is involved I think of it more as about the family. But it's been ages since I read it and I didn't complete all the books :*

Perhaps this genre isn't well know outside of Scandinavia? :|

It's my first time hearing about it! And Jojo's Bizarre Adventure beyond it being an anime about muscular guys and some detailed Italian food scenes (why yes, I love Binging with Babish) I like reading nonfiction books and memoirs and watching Cartoon Network shows. It's a life I chose.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    Not SimLit Q&A question:
    Does anyone get annoyed by ATM keypad covers that block the first row of numbers from being visually seen?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Not SimLit Q&A question:
    Does anyone get annoyed by ATM keypad covers that block the first row of numbers from being visually seen?

They don't exist at mine! I found a pic of the ATM model they use at my bank of choice (sorry not tellin') and the keys are completely upright. No I have not asked anyone about the accessibility of them. Definitely that privilege blind spot and all.

Hyosung-7600-IXL-Angle.jpg

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Not SimLit Q&A question:

They don't exist at mine! I found a pic of the ATM model they use at my bank of choice (sorry not tellin') and the keys are completely upright. No I have not asked anyone about the accessibility of them. Definitely that privilege blind spot and all.

Hyosung-7600-IXL-Angle.jpg

From what I can see is it wouldn't be accessible for a wheelchair user
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Possibly. It's not as big as it looks but that'd depend on your seated height and all and if you're in a car or not.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Possibly. It's not as big as it looks but that'd depend on your seated height and all and if you're in a car or not.

even with normal non-drive-thru ATMs you have to have nothing under the ATM so you can wheel the chair underneath. And from what I can see, I think that the keys on that drive-thru ATM would be a bit too high for someone in a wheelchair
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

even with normal non-drive-thru ATMs you have to have nothing under the ATM so you can wheel the chair underneath. And from what I can see, I think that the keys on that drive-thru ATM would be a bit too high for someone in a wheelchair

Wouldn't the person at a drive thru be in a car
  • Options
    PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    Not SimLit Q&A question:

I rarely use ATM's so I'm not sure what type you refer to. I'm very hard to annoy though so perhaps I didn't take notice.
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited January 2021
    Looks like I missed an interesting discussion while I slept!
    Passing off the mic: What's your favorite genre of simlit? Or even stories in general? Is there a mismatch there?

So I don't really engage in fantasy outside of sims stories due to lack of interest/not growing up with it, but I love it in sims stories that incorporate fantasy or sci-fi elements. I think it being a native part of the game helps "sell" it.

I know what you mean about fantasy/sci-fi specifically in the sims. I used to prefer realism in the sims, but there's so many wacky elements and game mechanics in the sims now that supernatural elements help justify that (like the world hopping that still kind of bugs me :D ).

But to answer the question, I'm completely with @BlackUndecimber on this one, I don't necessarily have a preferred genre, I just like simlit that has believable character development. Which is actually my preference for fiction IRL too.
    @PitlordMaggie I feel like "legacy" has become its own genre or a modification to x/y/z genre. Like with being forced to pass the POV torch along or expand the cast in a way that'd be unreadable in traditional fiction. Nothing wrong with how hyper-specific some of these things can be I suppose!

I can see how legacy has become it's own genre, but I disagree that it doesn't have it's traditional counterpart. The Legend of the Ice People follows a people through generations, even though magic is involved I think of it more as about the family. But it's been ages since I read it and I didn't complete all the books :*

I think family dramas that follow a few generations (though probably not 10 of them, I suppose) definitely exist outside of simlit, so it's not just a Scandinavian thing :)

I'm actually not sure if I would class legacy as a genre personally, because there's so many ways people approach legacies. There's some that have isolated plot arcs for each generation, some that are more fluid, some that are more focused on the gameplay aspect, some that are really introspective where the author draws parallels with their own life... Legacy stories are really diverse, IMHO!
  • Options
    DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    There's a sort of Legacy by Julliet Marillier, based on traditional and irish fairytales and folklore somewhat. Among my favourite books... It follows 3 or 4 generations, I forgot, it's been a while. I should reread it.
  • Options
    There's a sort of Legacy by Julliet Marillier, based on traditional and irish fairytales and folklore somewhat. Among my favourite books... It follows 3 or 4 generations, I forgot, it's been a while. I should reread it.

@DeiraShadeweaver: 3 or 4 is a lot more manageable than 10...though that includes in The Sims! :p

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Last Outrun chapter for a bit! I've run out of chapters and will retreat until more are made.

09.jpg

Chapter 0.9. Sheila and Heathcliff start their new lives without each other but in tandem. Barry meddles with death itself again, which may be a worrying trend now.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    Looks like I missed an interesting discussion while I slept!
    Passing off the mic: What's your favorite genre of simlit? Or even stories in general? Is there a mismatch there?

So I don't really engage in fantasy outside of sims stories due to lack of interest/not growing up with it, but I love it in sims stories that incorporate fantasy or sci-fi elements. I think it being a native part of the game helps "sell" it.

I know what you mean about fantasy/sci-fi specifically in the sims. I used to prefer realism in the sims, but there's so many wacky elements and game mechanics in the sims now that supernatural elements help justify that (like the world hopping that still kind of bugs me :D ).

But to answer the question, I'm completely with @BlackUndecimber on this one, I don't necessarily have a preferred genre, I just like simlit that has believable character development. Which is actually my preference for fiction IRL too.

I think family dramas that follow a few generations (though probably not 10 of them, I suppose) definitely exist outside of simlit, so it's not just a Scandinavian thing :)

I'm actually not sure if I would class legacy as a genre personally, because there's so many ways people approach legacies. There's some that have isolated plot arcs for each generation, some that are more fluid, some that are more focused on the gameplay aspect, some that are really introspective where the author draws parallels with their own life... Legacy stories are really diverse, IMHO!

I explain the fact that my sims port around with the use of alien technology. It's hinted at quite late in the chapters. So I suppose mine falls under the sci-fi subgenre.
  • Options

That sounds like an interesting read!
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    The only legacy type book series I know is "The Medicus" which I believe has sequels which follow the main character's descendants though I haven't actually read those. First book was good though :D
  • Options
    found the topics for the week just so people remember what day is what

Crush Sunday

Q & A Monday (Questions/Answers about all things SimLit!)

Game Tip Tuesday
    (Gameplay Tips for Sims 1 - 4 --and other games, too! :) )

Classics Wednesday (Revisit your Favorites! :) A great story is never done... you can always reread and remember it!)

Recommendation Thursday (Recommendations of stories from folks all over the SimLit community! [not just the forums])

Catch Up Friday (How's your week been? How've you been? Long time no see! :D )

Writers' Block Saturday
    (Need inspiration? Pick some up one week, drop some off the next! :) )

@CathyTea maybe you can update the first post if there are any differences? :)
  • Options
    So since it's gametip Tuesday.. does anyone have any gametips? I don't but I would recommend watching some of @CitizenErased14 's youtube video for gameplay tips for SimLit telling.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Hmmm ganetips. What do I have .

The money tree can be placed in family inventory when it has seeds and then you can plant multiple seeds and have lots of simoleons.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The Partihaus club was actually a backdoor way for the devs at EA to introduce real polyamory. Encouraging romance in any club = no jealousy (maybe barring the actual Jealous trait, haven't tried it out yet).

Putting an invisible object like an invisible toilet on top of seating will prevent sims from sitting there. Because boy do sims love to sit.

On the flip side and for the other game, enabling moviemakercheats in TS3 lets you shift-click a sim and disable their autonomy so they stay seated. Because boy they like to stand? The other alternative is using an "attention catcher", a.k.a. a scene-appropriate object cloned from a TV so sims can watch it while seated, which they tend to do uninterrupted.

EDIT: forgot the buyable food! I have a lot of food scenes and the buyable food in TS4 is a great resource. There's an "always fresh" option so they don't rot while you shoot.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2021
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    My #SimCrush(es) would be Morgana in @_sim_Yimi 's Tales of Camelot and Lilith in @SnuffyBucket 's Almost Eternal. Morgana is my schoolyard crush - the ultimate goddess in my eyes whom I’ll probably never muster the courage to talk to and would drop all my books and lunch if she said hi to me. Totally fell for her charms and am still under her haze. :blush: AE Lilith is my self-proclaimed simwaifu that will probably only keep me around for dinner (Context: vampire). She's so pretty yet so ugly; strong yet flawed, so ethical yet possesses a shriveled, black heart. Ultimate heartbreakers these two. :joy:
    Yeah! Morgana is definitely up there! In fairness, far too many of Yimi's characters are simcrush material; Morgana, Arthur, Lancelot... *swoons*

@mercuryfoam @ThePlumbob I did not know sim crush Sunday was a thing, but now I do! :joy: Morgana wants you to know that she is flattered and she also flirted with both of your simselves on autonomy today. :D

@_sims_Yimi it is on the first page... days of the week discussion topics.

@mercuryfoam @ThePlumbob Morgana is a wonderful character! I love all @_sims_Yimi's characters. Ack! I'm ages behind there too. I like Arthur, but I agree, Lancelot = swoonworthy! :heart:
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    @AdamsEve1231 I'm a fan of B2W too. I'm on Team Kian. I sim crush so hard I even wrote a fanfic about him. It's in my Other Stories. Worlds Apart, a Between2Worlds Fanfic feat. Kian and Carly. It's text only.

Kian is pretty great too!
    I don't really think Curtis and Athena are all that great for/with each other, but other than that I agree about everything you said about them and B2W :)
    I secretly agree with you. I like my AC ship, but I’ve always wondered about the healthiness of their dynamic.

Yeah they aren't the healthiest of relationships. I'm still holding out hope.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Since it's Q&A Monday
    does anyone edit their photos for their SimLit to show flashbacks or nightmares/dreams?

I edit my photos for flashbacks/nightmares/dreams

I do but I'm awful at it. :sweat_smile: getting better, I think.
    Since it's Q&A Monday
    does anyone edit their photos for their SimLit to show flashbacks or nightmares/dreams?

I do! The flashbacks or memories are in shades of grey and have blurry, ink-y edges to them to tell them apart from the normal ones. The further back in time they are, the more grainy and unfocused they get.

What program do you use?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,754 Member
    I do! The flashbacks or memories are in shades of grey and have blurry, ink-y edges to them to tell them apart from the normal ones. The further back in time they are, the more grainy and unfocused they get.

What program do you use?

I use this! It's mostly free and very handy for all kinds of filters, lighting choices and colour changes. The added effects used to be free too, but they're behind a subscription wall now. Still handy, though. :)
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    I know it's not Q&A day but I have a question for everyone:

Do you ever revisit old bookmarked threads and re-read the stories even if they are no longer active?

I just went through all my bookmarks and I've found stories that were abandoned but had some much potential and I really enjoyed them at the time. Kind of makes me nostalgic and sad at the same time. How do you feel?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top