Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Since it's Q&A Monday
    does anyone edit their photos for their SimLit to show flashbacks or nightmares/dreams?

I edit my photos for flashbacks/nightmares/dreams
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,754 Member
    edited January 2021
    Since it's Q&A Monday
    does anyone edit their photos for their SimLit to show flashbacks or nightmares/dreams?

I do! The flashbacks or memories are in shades of grey and have blurry, ink-y edges to them to tell them apart from the normal ones. The further back in time they are, the more grainy and unfocused they get.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    Since it's Q&A Monday

I do! The flashbacks or memories are in shades of grey and have blurry, ink-y edges to them to tell them apart from the normal ones. The further back in time they are, the more grainy and unfocused they get.

Thanks for answering!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,251 Member
    edited January 2021
    Since it's Q&A Monday

I did a flashback image in my gameplay blog. Turned it black and white greyscale to represent a flashback.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Since it's Q&A Monday

Definitely! I've edited them in Sepia usually (example) but I've also done black and white with just one color left (in this case red)
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Since it's Q&A Monday

Not doing the whole screenshot thing yet but I'm a huge fan of sepia filter together with grain/old film filters for flashbacks and overly vivid colours for dreams.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    MadameLee ThePlumbob I know I haven’t posted here in a long time, but you guys made me smile! Nice to know the past A2A hotties have not been forgotten :joy::heart: (And I promise that new chapters with new hotties are still coming! I’m just slower than molasses these days haha)

@CitizenErased14 I just saw your banner here for the first time and GAH, everyone in your story is so handsome. You could do a whole sim crush sunday with just A2A characters xD
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,555 Member
    Since it's Q&A Monday

I've done this once to show a flashback to John Action's time in Vietnam. I put a light sepia filter on the original picture to give it that flashback look.
  • Options
    We need to remember what the days of the week are for conversation topics:
    Sunday-Crush Sunday
    Monday Q&A (I only happened to find this because I searched Writer's lounge for Crush Sunday guess I should go and search more of WL's for the others!)
    Tuesday?
    Wednesday?
    Thursday
    Friday-Catchup Fridays
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,251 Member
    Sunday-Crush Sunday
    Monday Q&A (I only happened to find this because I searched Writer's lounge for Crush Sunday guess I should go and search more of WL's for the others!)
    Tuesday?
    Wednesday?
    Thursday
    Friday-Catchup Fridays

@CathyTea has them all on post one of this thread.
  • Options
    Sunday-Crush Sunday
    Tuesday?
    Wednesday?
    Thursday
    Friday-Catchup Fridays

@CathyTea has them all on post one of this thread.

Yeah but from like 2017 and we have 5497 pages and counting
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    found the topics for the week just so people remember what day is what

Crush Sunday

Q & A Monday (Questions/Answers about all things SimLit!)

Game Tip Tuesday
    (Gameplay Tips for Sims 1 - 4 --and other games, too! :) )

Classics Wednesday (Revisit your Favorites! :) A great story is never done... you can always reread and remember it!)

Recommendation Thursday (Recommendations of stories from folks all over the SimLit community! [not just the forums])

Catch Up Friday (How's your week been? How've you been? Long time no see! :D )

Writers' Block Saturday
    (Need inspiration? Pick some up one week, drop some off the next! :) )
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Are they changed from the front then ?
  • Options
    PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    Since it's Q&A Monday

I have yet to do a flashback or dream. I would like to know how others handle that in their stories.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Since it's Q&A Monday

I use the Softglow filter in GIMP. Basically it adds a glow to the "highlights" on the image but I often need to bump up saturation on the image too.

Sometimes I'll blur the edges but sometimes I won't. An example with the original:

heathcliff-hhhh.jpg

And edited:

Screenshot-115308small.jpg
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Passing off the mic: What's your favorite genre of simlit? Or even stories in general? Is there a mismatch there?

So I don't really engage in fantasy outside of sims stories due to lack of interest/not growing up with it, but I love it in sims stories that incorporate fantasy or sci-fi elements. I think it being a native part of the game helps "sell" it.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Shadami wrote: »

@Shadami I don't understand the question. But I can find some examples I have of flash backs/dreams/etc.. I have due to my previous attempts
    two of these are flash blacks and the other three are dreams
    fjbNX4J.png
    FWsUvqa.gif
    I'm not at the point of recreating those screen-shots in-game (I'm only on Gen 4)
    zfIIDbr.gif
    r5AGgiZ.png
    SLLTNFY.png
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Since it's Q&A Monday

I have yet to do a flashback or dream. I would like to know how others handle that in their stories.

I use this site https://www2.lunapic.com/editor/
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Shadami wrote: »

It seems to be slightly rearranged - according to the front, inspiration day is Wednesday while Saturday is 'Start Fresh Saturday'.
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Passing off the mic: What's your favorite genre of simlit? Or even stories in general? Is there a mismatch there?

So I don't really engage in fantasy outside of sims stories due to lack of interest/not growing up with it, but I love it in sims stories that incorporate fantasy or sci-fi elements. I think it being a native part of the game helps "sell" it.

Fantasy will always be my no.1 genre, sim stories or otherwise.
    When it comes to just sim stories, I enjoy a story with believable characters regardless of genre. Maybe because it's a character interaction game?
  • Options

Hmm, I have been into a lot of different genres over the years. Thinking back I think my earlies favorites have been mystery and crime. But don't throw the severed head at me, show me the dried drop of blood. For a while I binge read a family saga over several books. It introduced me to more romantic themes. Then I found an author that did fantasy and it was so good that later I compare all other fantasy with it. So for me fantasy can be a bit hit or miss. Later I have been more into paranormal.

I like simlit that shows believable characters and let them try to overcome difficulties.

How it translate to my simlit? I write a legacy story, but I like to give them some extra hardships. If I add some inspiration from the other genres... I don't know yet :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @PitlordMaggie I feel like "legacy" has become its own genre or a modification to x/y/z genre. Like with being forced to pass the POV torch along or expand the cast in a way that'd be unreadable in traditional fiction. Nothing wrong with how hyper-specific some of these things can be I suppose!

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @PitlordMaggie I feel like "legacy" has become its own genre or a modification to x/y/z genre. Like with being forced to pass the POV torch along or expand the cast in a way that'd be unreadable in traditional fiction. Nothing wrong with how hyper-specific some of these things can be I suppose!

'Legacy' as a genre is pretty interesting. I've only seen it done once? I think? In a novel (mind you, it only ever featured 5 generations). Two if you count Jojo's Bizarre Adventures.
    There's something about the steady of passage of time and ever changing cast of characters that compels many SimLit writers, myself included. If it is indeed a genre, it's definitely one of my favourite genres in SimLit!
  • Options

I can see how legacy has become it's own genre, but I disagree that it doesn't have it's traditional counterpart. The Legend of the Ice People follows a people through generations, even though magic is involved I think of it more as about the family. But it's been ages since I read it and I didn't complete all the books :*

Perhaps this genre isn't well know outside of Scandinavia? :|

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top